4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better
Published 17 months ago by Juz Man

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Green Day I Know and Love
This is not the innovative and fun Green Day from the last few albums. This sounds like forced and recycled sounds to generated to feed the marketing machine they are stuck in. Twilight soundtrack? Really? The only thing worse than this album is the posts from their facebook feed.
Published 17 months ago by David

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better, November 13, 2012
Juz Man "Juz" (Hobart, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
Here we are at album two and this one is an album of two halves - one good, one not quite as inspired. The first half of Dos is excellent while the last half is not as consistant but contains some nice tracks. Like Uno, is fails to hold up in the second half, but it's a much better album than it's predecessor. Sadly though, it will no doubt sell less copies and not receive the wide-spread praise it deserves.
Similarly to Uno, it's a very Nimrod-ish sounding album but without the variety that Nimrod had - which in itself was good and bad.
The major difference between Dos and Uno though is that I like Dos.
I've listened to this album more in the past week than I have for the past two months with Uno. Though this album has made me revisit Uno and I'm giving it more listens.
After a week or so I found Uno to be boring and haven't really listened to any of it for the past month. The longevity of this one should be a bit better as it has a handful of instant classics. It's good songs are better than Uno's gooduns and there are more of them, however it has a couple of sub-par ones. There was nothing overly bad on Uno, it was pretty consistent, with limited filler. Dos has Nightlife to drag it down and is an album of more extremes - ie more highs and bigger lows. Versus Uno, Dos certainly has more songs that would make it onto one great album.
Lots of songs here have a familiar ring to them.

B- -See You Tonight is a nice opener. Kind of Song of the Century-ish. I like my one minute acoustics.
B -F$%& Time is a fun track though maybe a tad childish for aging rockers
B+ -Stop When The Red Lights Flash is a highlight
A- -Lazy Bones is another highlight and the best track on offer. Love this one though it reminds me a bit of Del Shannon's Runaway
B+ -Wild One keeps the quality high
C+ -Makeout Party falters a bit but rates as good filler
B -Stray Heart is a good track. Not a classic first single but catchy enough. So we're halfway and things are looking very good. Can Dos be better than Uno?
C -Ashley, however, is where things take a turn and the quality drops. Nothing much to like about this one. Filler.
C+ -Baby Eyes is an OK track though. Nimrod-ish but nothing spectacular.
C+ -Lady Cobra - same as the Baby Eyes comment
C- -Nightlife ummm, no thank you. Billie sounds like he has a head cold and that's not the worst part of this awful track. It could have been good without the external input.
B- -Wow! That's Loud has grown on me. So much so I've edited my first review to bump up it's rating from a C. Perhaps too much uninspiring instrumentalism to push it up to a flat B
B+ -Amy is a nice track. An instant liker. It screams familiarity though. Something from the 60's that I can't quite place.

By the end of Tre, one great album of material looks the likely outcome and perhaps what should have been released. Dos tracks should fill many of those spots. But they'll manage to get more than twice the amount of money out of me from the three albums so mission accomplished guys.
My hope was for Dos to be far better than Uno and whilst it IS much better it's not a stand-alone classic Green Day album - but my hopes for Tre are still high.
Add the four great tracks from Uno to the six from Dos and hopefully Tre will have at least six of quality and then you'll have yourself a ripper album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Interlude for Uno and Tre!, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
When I first previewed Dos on Amazon, after buying Uno, I was slightly disappointed. I felt like these songs might have been the B tracks of the triology that they put on one disc. Then, I previewed Tre, and was blown away by those songs, and bought. Feeling as if it would in complete to not own the full Triology, I bought Dos.

I'm so glad I did! The songs on Dos completely make sense when listened to in between Uno and Tre! Alone, Dos felt like as if I was reading the middle chapters of a book. After hearing Uno, then listening to Dos, and then Tre, it fits perfect musically.

Give it a try, download it, and give it a few listens and you'll hopefully agree :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better than "Uno!", December 15, 2012
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
Listening to Dos! as I write this.
Even though Uno! had already exceeded my expectations, Dos! was even better.
Just to start with the packaging--beautiful. Cover goes perfectly with the other albums in the trilogy, great pictures of the band on the insert, the lyrics are displayed both neatly and creatively and overall, it looks very nice.
The music (sorry if I get too in depth here):

See you tonight -- is catchy sweet, heartfelt. I think its the perfect intro to the harder album of the three, even though this is a soft song.
F*** Time-- I personally find it impossible to listen to this song without laughing. It's a crazy, absurd (in a good way) song
Stop When The Red Lights Flash -- fast paced, great guitar work (yay Jason White and Billie Joe), very garage-rocky feel
Lazy Bones -- The lyrics of this song are so twistedly beautiful. If you buy the album for one reason, let it be this song.
Wild One -- One of those romantic-swaying-to songs for me. Great bass line, too
Makeout Party -- for fans of the Green Day side project Foxboro Hottubs. This is such a retro garage-rock sound, you can't help but think of "The Pedestrian" or "Stop Drop and Roll"
Stray Heart -- Awesome song, but after listening to Tre!, I see why it was originally supposed to be on there and not Dos! Doesn't fit perfectly in the lineup, but still a masterpiece. (the music vid is great too, you should check it out, if you haven't)
Ashley -- Perfect for after a bad break up. full of that classic angst of Green Day.
Baby Eyes -- Classic rock n' roll, always the best lyrics (Billie Joe Armstrong is a lyrical genius)
Lady Cobra -- Another Foxboro Hottubs sounding one. upbeat, fun and spunky
Nightlife -- probably my least favorite on the album, but uses interesting lyric overlap
Wow! That's Loud -- I love the riffs on this song, there just so Green Day
Amy -- Puts me on the verge of tears. Its a really beautiful tribute to Amy Winehouse

Well, if you read through my entire fan-girl analysis of Dos!, it's really a great album. I would recommend it to any punk or alt rock fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Follow-Up to ¡Uno!; Some Stronger Moments Here, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
Better late than never right? I slept on the second Green Day of the album of the year Dos, despite purchasing it when it materialized in November. Regardless, ¡Dos! is consistent with Uno if not more enjoyable and innovative in some respects. Every cut grooves, even "Nightlife," a cut in particular that is slower than the multitude. A contrast to the first album, there seem to be more risks on Dos, which should be apparent to both fans and casual listeners. Unfortunately for Dos, its sells have been even less spectacular than that of Uno - about half to be exact of Uno's debut. A shame, given Dos may offer more triumphs.

"See You Tonight" is a surprising start, lasting all of 1:06 serving as a prelude or intro. There is strummed rhythmic guitar and a brief vocal performance. The introductory cut definitely gives off an air of mysteriousness and unpredictability. The real affair begins with the grooving "F*** Time," which is completely different from anything on Uno. Instead of delivering an ultra quick, punk-savvy tempo, the band opts for a bluesier mid-tempo cut, borrowing its harmonic sensibilities on the chorus directly from the blues idiom. Keeping its punk appeal alive, none needs to look any further than the title to see the sensibility of the band's revivalist style.

"Stop When The Red Lights Flash" is consistent, opening within pummeling drums and keeping the guitars heavy, dirty, and driving. It may not quite reach the compelling appeal of the opener, but it's both succinct and enjoyable, something that bodes well in Green Day's favor on Dos. On the catchy "Lazy Bones," Billie Joe Armstrong's vocals are particularly well produced, most notable on the first verse where he has plenty of space to sit atop the production. "Lazy Bones" also allows for the biting Armstrong to get in his tough, punk talk (there is a reason for that parental advisory warning folks). Four tracks in, it's all good.

"Wild One" is a mid-tempo hit from a first listen. Well written and catchy, Green Day are on autopilot on this, arguably Dos's valedictory moment. While there is no consistent chorus, there are some key repeated portions such as "She's my wild one..." and "She gave up on Jesus, for living on Venus...," both followed with various lyrical variations. "Makeout Party" speeds the tempo back up, finding frontman Armstrong delivering one of the album's more feisty performances. It may not be quite the likes of Uno's superb "Let Yourself Go," but it rocks for sure. Never underestimate the power of an addictive groove and snarling punk-infused vocals.

"Stray Heart" keeps the tempo going and finds Armstrong in top-notch form. "Everything that I want, I want from you/but I just can't have you/everything that I need, I need from you/but I just can't have you" Armstrong belts on the the ultra catchy hook. Pleasant despite the circumstances of the songwriting, this may be the happiest "Stray Heart" ever. "Ashley" doesn't let up or concede one iota of momentum, driving even more than "Stray Heart." The brighter vibe of "Stray Heart" is abandoned for minor key sensibility, in which Billie Joe Armstrong asks 'Ashley' such pointed questions like "...are you running around? now you're crying at a bloody murder!" and "...are you bumming around? Now you're crying on my cold shoulder!" He also declares she's no bleeping "saint." Green Day at it's best.

"Baby Eyes" drives within its brief 2:21 duration ("I pulled the trigger from the shooting stars/I am the motor in your crashing car...") as does "Lady Cobra," which features a simple but effective harmonic progression. The guitar solo is a highlight here as are the background vocals, adding even more color to the cut. "Nightlife" slows things down, but not like a ballad - there is still a strong, discernible rhythmic groove. Sensually-charged, Lady Cobra adds a bizarre rap, something we definitely haven't associated with the band ("What's that I hear? You want to go for a ride? Well, don't be afraid boy to come inside...") It's definitely interesting - and to each his own. I definitely dig the groove - jury's still out on Lady Cobra's seductive, whispered rhymes.

"Wow! That's Loud" is just that. Additionally, it is the album's lengthiest cut at just shy of 4 ˝ minutes - Green Day know how to keep things brief. "Amy" closes the effort with Armstrong accompanied only by electric guitar. More of a notable statement like Uno's "Oh Love," "Amy" finds the band opting for more serious fare than what constitutes the majority of Dos. It's solid and Armstrong performs it well, but I wouldn't call a 'favorite.'

All-in-all, Dos is solid and enjoyable album. If you have grown accustomed to 'heavier' Green Day, this is not it. This album like ¡Uno! avoids the depth of either American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Some will laud that, others will scrutinize it. Personally, I fall between both extremes. I do believe, regardless, Dos is a solid album, weird Lady Cobra raps or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars ¡DOS! - A Supercharged & Fun Rock `n' Roll Record!, November 13, 2012
Tristan C. (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
¡UNO! delivered a more classic Warning/Nimrod era Green Day sound and I wasn't exactly sure what to expect with the arrival of ¡DOS! six weeks later. I didn't have much to go on other than the fact that the band called the album a "Party Album" and a "Dirty Rock" record. So what exactly is ¡DOS!?

First off, this record is very different from ¡UNO! in that it has a ton of energy. Most of the songs pack a punch and the record as a whole is almost unrelenting in terms of pace. This isn't the same punk energy that you would have found on the early Green Day albums. This is something different and clearly inspired by early 70's rock. The first comparison that comes to mind for me would be The Rolling Stones "Exile on Main St", but there are about 200 albums from that era you could list that Green Day could have taken inspiration from here.

Lyrically this could not contrast the serious political messages in American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown more. Although the content is just as real, it is different because the focus is more internal and self glorifying topics. From "F*** Time" to "Makeout Party", the guys were clearly just trying to have fun on this and not taking themselves or the lyrical tone too seriously. This record seems to be an authentic reflection of the rock star element of their lifestyle, for better or worse. The lyrics provide a window into Billie Joe's excessive lifestyle and mindset during the last few years which can be really interesting. Part of me is glad to see them let loose here and just write songs they enjoy and not care about repercussions, but some listeners on a moral high horse may be turned off by the lyrics.

So how's the music? Overall it's catchy, and well written. There are definitely just as many fantastic songs on here as on ¡UNO!. That said, it's really hard to compare the two because these tracks are blisteringly fast reinterpretations of 70's singalong rock songs--not pop punk. The tracks "Lazy Bones", "Baby Eyes", and "Ashley" are probably the best constructed songs, and there should be no surprise that these tracks also sound the most like classic Green Day tracks. Another highlight for me is "Wow! That's Loud" which has a chorus on it that will make any fan of The Who squeal with delight. The only two songs which break from this aforementioned fast pace are "Nightlife", which shows Green Day experimenting collaborating with a female rapper, and "Amy", which is a gorgeous acoustic track about the late Amy Winehouse.

Overall I have to say I really enjoy this record. I feel the casual Green Day fan may have a negative reaction to this album because there's no "singles" and they probably never heard the Foxboro Hot Tubs project, or have a great appreciation for late 1970' rock. Selling over 60 million albums worldwide, Green Day has become a household music brand name at this point. This brand name correlates with a certain amount of refinement and production that this record simply does not have, and that lack of polish is the exact point of this record!

As a rock music junky I absolutely love this record, but for marketing purposes this record maybe should been a second Foxboro Hot Tubs album. I say that because that's really the context you should listen to this album in. If you haven't heard that Green Day side project, grab it now. Grab it BEFORE you listen to ¡DOS!. You will enjoy this record much more.

All in all this is a really fun Rock `n' Roll record and that's all it was meant to be. Don't take it too seriously and might have a really good time; I did!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Green Day I Know and Love, November 29, 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Bummer. Green Day is done..., November 24, 2012
This review is from: ˇDOS! [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
After the last two albums, I thought they would run out of ideas. IMNSHO they did. I have listened to both of the first two albums of Uno, Dos,Tre and a week later I cannot remember one tune. BOOOORRRRINNNGGG!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Garage Rock Album, November 21, 2012
This review is from: ˇDOS! [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I liked Uno! for the poppy rock flavor it had, but this album is simply amazing. From begging to end it doesn't let you go. Great Album.

3.0 out of 5 stars TRE STARS RECORD. I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED!, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
This is better than TRE! absolutely is an improvement .
Very basic but not RAW. The juice is in the END of the album.
The best tracks are:

4. Lazy Bones
9. "Baby Eyes"
11. "Nightlife" (written by Billie Joe Armstrong and Monica Painter a.k.a. Lady Cobra)
12. "Wow! That's Loud"
13. "Amy"

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked most of the songs but..., December 21, 2013
This review is from: Dos (Audio CD)
I liked most of the songs on dos' but why cant billie joe write a serious song without adding 'corny' or silly lyrics?

ARRAY(0xa02e7bac)