5.0 out of 5 stars Green Day Back To Their Roots: Punk-Powered Power-Pop.
Published 23 months ago by Tristan C.

3.0 out of 5 stars A return to 2000
So it's 1994, and your major label debut, "Dookie," just made you the biggest act around. you put out a few more albums that do well enough, but never recapture that initial success. Your time in the limelight has passed, the world has moved onto the next big thing...

Published 23 months ago by D-Rich

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Day Back To Their Roots: Punk-Powered Power-Pop., September 25, 2012
Tristan C. (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uno (Audio CD)
After the two musical sagas that were American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown I was hoping Green Day would calm things down a bit and just produce some simple music again that would be easy to digest and enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I loved both 21st Century Breakdown and American Idiot, but they were LONG and INTENSE. I give Green Day huge accolades for making political music in a time when making political music is largely unpopular, and doing it very well. My long term gripe is that I couldn't casually listen to those records on repeat for hours like my old Green Day records from the 90's and I really missed that.

Green Day responded exactly how I hoped they would with ¡UNO!. Instrumentally it fits somewhere between Warning and Nimrod. It feels like a missing piece of a puzzle. Part of me wonders if some, if not a majority of these tracks, are from the canceled/lost "Cigarettes and Valentines" album because while they were recording that album Billie Joe stated that it would be more a more simple pop-rock album.

Much to my delight, on ¡UNO! I hear A LOT of influence from Cheap Trick, The Kinks, and The Clash. The guitar riff on Angel Blue is so much of a "The Clash" riff that I seriously had flashbacks to when I first bought London Calling in the late 90's. Some songs also remind me of Green Day's 60`s rock Foxboro Hot Tubs side project. A couple simpler tracks ("Loss Of Control, for example") have a definite garage-rock style that even remind me of Billie Joe's side project Pinhead Gunpowder's release, "Goodbye Ellston Avenue". As a long term Green Day fan and overall music glutton I can't tell you how AWESOME this is!

I've been listening to Green Day since I was 13 and found my brother's CD of Insomniac in his CD player. I'm 28 now and a bigger fan than ever. They never fail to make a great record and this is no exception. Billie Joe continues to grow as a pop song writer and vocalist. Green Day described this as the "party album" of the trilogy. I am not 100% sure what that means since I can't compare it to the other two upcoming releases, but I'm interested to see where this trilogy goes. I am "hooked" again, thank you Green Day for making an old fan happy once again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album + Quick FYI, September 25, 2012
Bought the new Green Day this morning and it's definitely a fun album. I'd agree with several of the other reviewers that it's no American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown but it's still a good addition to their catalogue. GD doesn't change their sound all that much from album to album so you know what you're going to get. If you like it, great. If not, you're probably not reading this anyway. For other details on the album, I'll let you read the other reviews.

The real point of leaving this review is to let you know that this Amazon version ¡UNO! [+digital booklet] is a "clean" version. The curse words are there (PLENTY of them) but in this version they've all been covered up by a guitar riff or a sound effect. I don't know if this is the original released version of the album but I doubt it. If so, what's the point of even having those words in the lyrics? Just write them out. However, I can't find an "explicit" version on Amazon so perhaps this is the original.

I have my own feelings about whether this is a good or bad thing but I'll leave it to your own preferences as all our needs are different. I just thought everyone should know that this is a "clean" version. Enjoy!

****UPDATE****
OK folks, it's time for an update. Amazon has now added two new versions of the album that were not available when I wrote this review earlier today (9/25). There is now an Explicit version (¡UNO! [Explicit]) and Explicit version that includes four videos (¡UNO! [Explicit] [+video]). I only wish these had been available before I got sucked into the daily deal clean version.

3.0 out of 5 stars A return to 2000, September 26, 2012
This review is from: ˇUNO! [Explicit] (MP3 Music)

And then, out of nowhere, the unheard of happens. You put out "American Idiot", a good ten years after what was supposed to be your biggest time of success, and it launches you right back into the spotlight. Suddenly you aren't just writing modern rock hits. These are Hot 100 chart toppers. Your band finally escaped the shadow of your major label debut. You've proven to the world that you're here to stay...but how the heck are you gonna follow it up?

Ever since "American Idiot" swept the nation, Green Day has been very strategic about where to take their career. "21st Century Breakdown" was an attempt to do a bigger, better "American Idiot." Now three years later, what in God's name can the band do? A return to the early 90's punk? A third rock opera? Something brand new? The answer ended up being ALL OF THE ABOVE. Green Day announced three new records; one power-pop, one garage rock, and one epic.

The first of three records is called UNO, which is a power pop record infused with punk energy. Don't listen to the reviewers that are calling this a return to Dookie's sound. This record fits in with the late 90's and pre-idiot Green Day output. If I had to sum it up, I'd say it sounds like a harder version of 2000's "Warning."

The songs themselves are a mixed bag. There are some true highlights here, but they're unfortunately surrounded by mediocre songs that probably never would have seen the light of day had the whole "3 albums in 4 months" concept never happened...

Which brings me to my final, and probably most important point. Is it fair to review this album yet? Standing alone, it's an average Green Day record with a few fantastic moments. As part of the trilogy, it may very well take on a whole new meaning. The true review of "Uno! Dos! Tre!" Won't exist until they're all out. For the time being, we've got UNO! to enjoy for what it is; a fun, up-tempo power-pop album that doesn't take itself too seriously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Wary, September 25, 2012
B. Calhoun (Anaconda, MT USA) - See all my reviews
Be careful! The Uno! + Digital booklet mp3 that is offered for 5 dollars is edited!!! It makes no mention of this in the product description. Make sure that you buy the explicit one (also $5) that does not come with the digital booklet. What a rip. Nothing my 30 year old self wants more than to be sheltered from naughty words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Great, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Uno (Audio CD)
I wanted to love this album: a "return-to-basics" from Green Day? Sign me up!

After WARNING, Green Day did something unexpected: they made a sprawling rock-opera that was politically and socially aware. AMERICAN IDIOT proved to be a triumph for the band creatively, commercially, and critically, so it was no surprised when the band followed with 21st CENTURY BREAKDOWN. The band started sessions for a follow-up album, but these sessions were abandoned for what would become UNO! These two albums are good, but they were tough for the band. It makes sense that after these more serious efforts, they would want to get back to basics: writing punk-rock songs that are fun, upbeat, and melodic. UNO! has more in common with NIMROD and WARNING than it does with either of the band's previous two albums.

Many of the reviews that I've read claim that UNO is a "switch from high-concept to high-energy." I'd have to disagree - while the lofty concepts of recent albums has been largely ditched, UNO isn't percolating with energy. This album may be more energetic than 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN, but it doesn't compare to DOOKIE (and pre-DOOKIE albums). UNO feels about like WARNING did, where some songs are more immediate than others, but for the most part, they don't feel urgent.

The album begins with "Nuclear Family," a song that recalls some of the band's late 90's output - it centers around a nice chorus. Early album highlight "Let Yourself Go" is full of energy, and when it gets going, it feels unstoppable. "Kill the DJ" is a satirical pop-song (not unlike the Offspring's pop-parodies "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" or "California Bumpin"), and while it is catchy and melodic, I think that many Green Day fans will bristle at it. The song comes close to Panic! At the Disco territory, but it distances itself with a nice helping of irony. Compared to the first half of the album, the second half is a bit slower. The Cheap Trick-inspired "Troublemaker" includes some nice guitarwork, and the song doesn't sound unlike something OK GO would record. "Sweet 16" is a pleasant-enough ballad, but the band sounds bored getting through the song. "Oh Love" concludes the album on the good note. The song takes its time to begin, and while it doesn't really feel like punk at all, it's a solid rocker.

UNO! is the first of a planned trilogy for this band, and I can't help but think that the band's approach right now is quantity-over-quality. Most of UNO! is good, but it's not terrific - I'm betting that between the three albums (UNO, DOS, and TRE), there would be enough material for one fantastic album. I couldn't help but feel like I had already heard many of these songs before; Green Day fans will probably enjoy this album, but something about it will feel pretty familiar. Listeners looking for a continuation of AMERICAN IDIOT or 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN will be let down slightly by UNO, but those looking for a return to the sound of WARNING will find plenty of songs to enjoy here. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Nuclear Family," "Let Yourself Go," and "Stay The Night." If UNO! is meant to be the "party album" of the trilogy, I'm curious to what that means for the next two dozen songs the band will release...

Don't forget to get the [Explicit] version of the album -- the censored editions of UNO really take the punch out of a few songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really good punk pop rocknroll, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Uno (Audio CD)
These guys are such crazy good musicians. They have managed a perfect blend of catchy pop hooks, blended with a punk edge (characterized by Billie Joe Armstrong's raspy-yet-creamy-smooth vocals - how the hell does he do that??), driven by freakin great rock'n'roll musicianship - such accomplished guitar, drums, and bass - truly impressive. The latter is what always strikes me the most when I listen to a new GD album: they just get and better at playing their instruments as the years pass, and they continue to be real a rock'n'roll band - true rock'n'roll itself becoming a rarer and rarer commodity these days. Okay, enough ranting. Get it. Listen to it. Have fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Safe and very frustrating., September 25, 2012
This review is from: ˇUNO! [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
This will be pretty short. I'm not a dedicated Green Day fan or anything, but I like many of their singles and have delved into some of their albums in full. This one is easily the most disappointing. The riffs are OK. The drums are kinda energetic. However, the lyrics are the low point. And while the words to Green Day aren't that deep generally, these really hit a wall. I haven't heard a more cliché-ridden work from them than this. These guys used to be a lot of fun. The other albums that I've heard in full were Dookie and American Idiot. I enjoyed both of them thoroughly and would like to own both (especially the former). This album seems to put the easiest words together to rhyme and the energy is kind of low for them. What happened??!

"Stay The Night" stood out on first listen. But none of these tracks stands against some of the catchier, riffier songs in their catalog. This record I suppose is better than No Doubt's new one, but this one was more disappointing knowing what the band is capable of hence the lower score. Sorry. But for die-hards only.

3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Day returns to their roots with Uno!, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Uno (Audio CD)
After taking a scenic detour through emo-rock with American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, Green day makes a return to their punk-rock roots with the first in a trilogy of albums set to be released through January of 2013, Uno! And it could not be a more welcome return.

Starting off strong with "Nuclear Family", the whole album is a love-letter to teen-angst, which Green Day has done with many of their past albums. Some highlights from the CD include the aforementioned "Nuclear Family," the anthem to loving life called "Carpe Diem," the foul-mouthed tracks "Let Yourself Go" and "Kill the DJ", the latter of which could be interpereted as a dislike of the pop-filled society we currently live in, and the powerful tribute to heartbreak "Oh Love", the track most likely to stick with you long after you finish the album.

Is it Green Day at their best? No, but the true answer to that is a point of debate among GD fans. Is it a damn good album? Oh hell yes! Green Day proves that, after twenty-five years, they they have lost none of whatever it was that made them great. Heres to twenty-five more years of success, guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uno!, Dos! and Tre! Go Together Like The Original Star Wars Trilogy, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Uno (Audio CD)
I recently purchased Uno!, Dos! and Tre! at the same time. I opted for the clean versions for a couple of reasons. The first is because I have young kids and I want to share this with them. The second reason is because I like the creative way they replaced all of the F-bombs Billie Joe likes to drop using sounds like an electric guitar fill or other sound effect. I originally bought the regular version of Uno! and I actually prefer the clean, edited version. Go figure.

I've read a lot of the reviews online about these 3 albums and it seems most people are missing the point. Sure, the timing of the releases in relation to what the band was going through at the time, the amount of songs to digest in a short period of time and the seemingly lack of marketing on these CD's seems to have hurt the sales but good music or good art is not about sales.

I believe the point Green Day is trying to make is they can make an epic trilogy of music the same way George Lucas made an epic trilogy of movies. Each album stands on its own just like each Star Wars movie stands on its own but when taken as a trilogy they really fit together and are even better than the sum of their parts, just like Green Day themselves.

These 3 albums will grow on you if you let them. It took about 3 times of listening to Uno! front to back to finally sink in where they are going with this trilogy. After that the other two albums fell into place and it all made sense.

Uno! opens the trilogy with a Green Day sound that falls somewhere between Nimrod and American Idiot. It's the most punk rock power pop CD of the set. I compare it to Star Wars Episode IV because it sounds more like Green Day when they were young and hungry much the same way it felt to watch the young and hungry Luke Skywalker when he was realizing that he is a Jedi. I really love every song on this CD but if I had to pick the weakest song it is ironically the single Kill the DJ. I really like the guitars in Kill the DJ but to me the lyrics and melody are not very creative. It's surrounded by two killer songs though, Let Yourself Go and the awesome Fell For You which should have been a single.

Dos! is the darkest and rawest album just like Empire Strikes Back is the darkest of the Star Wars movies. It sounds more like a follow up album for Foxboro Hot Tubs than a typical Green Day album. If they weren't making a trilogy this album may not exist as a Green Day album even though it stands on its own. The guitars sound more like Gretsch guitars rather than Gibson or Fender guitars on most of the songs on this album. They have a kerrang quality to their sound although they still rock hard. They have one filler on this album though, Nightlife. I do give them credit for stretching their boundaries though since this is the least sounding Green Day song I've ever heard from them.

Tre! brings Green Day back up to date. It is the most adventurous of the trilogy and is a satisfying climax. It feels like the most natural progression of Green Day coming from 21st Century Breakdown but without most of the politics. I think if Green Day made only one CD instead of 3 they most likely would have chosen the songs and direction on Tre! I'm really glad they decided to make a trilogy instead of one CD though because I really like 35 of the 37 songs and the two fillers are still good! It would be great to see Green Day one day be publically recognized for what they accomplished here. It would also be great to see Green Day perform the whole trilogy from start to finish in concert. Idiot Epic!

3.0 out of 5 stars good, not great, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Uno (Audio CD)
good album, not great. not a big fan of the earlier stuff which this album has been compared to. more of a fan of "american idiot", and "21st century" some real good songs but, not enough. still, i listened to this record for two straight weeks, as it grew on me, and i'll be purchasing "dos", and "tre".

ˇUNO! [Explicit]