5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a fitness program that works for me!
Published on January 16, 2007 by Steph K.

3.0 out of 5 stars 10,000 steps is not enough
The book has science behind it, but 10,000 is not the right number for everyone.

This seems to be valid research - from science daily dot com

The table below shows the steps-per-day recommendations for weight control

Age women - Steps per day
18-40 12 000 steps per day
40-50 11 000
50-60 10 000
60 - 8 000...
Published 16 months ago by DKDC

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a fitness program that works for me!, January 16, 2007
This review is from: 10,000 Steps a Day to Your Optimal Weight: Walk Your Way to Better Health (Paperback)
I love this book! I have never been good about exercise, and usually just get overwhelmed about starting a fitness plan, or if I do, I can't stick with it. Too busy, too tired, etc. I finally gave up on my diet and fitness books (I own a ton I never use). But a friend was recently inspired to start with 10,000 STEPS after she heard the author on the radio. She said it has really motivated her, so she recommended it, thinking I could easily do it, too.

I was skeptical as always, but I promised I would try it, and we started doing some of our walking together. I wanted to post a review and let people know that this book is great! For some reason, after all the other stuff I've tried, the 10,000 STEPS A DAY plan is actually working for me. I started using the pedometer that comes with the book as soon as I got it, about a month and a half ago, and Ive already increased my daily steps to 10K, just by using some of the super easy tips and suggestions he gives you. I especiallly like how simple the book is to follow. Unlike some of my other ones, the author doesn't seem to ask too much of you at once. He makes you believe that just simply walking really CAN help you get healthy. After about 6 wks, I not only have more energy, am in a better mood, etc., but I've miraculously lost almost 5 POUNDS already! And it really doesn't even take much time out of my day. Counting with the pedometer really helps me to know when I need to do something more to get my step count up for the day. There is SO much great info about how even the simplest changes can help (incl. eating tips, like replacing soda with tea, how to eat less salt, sample menus). After I do this a bit longer and hopefully see more results, I am going to try to start some of his strength training exercises, too. I have so much more energy already, just from the past 6 weeks, it doesn't feel as overwhelming anymore to think about gradually adding a few strength exercises during the week.

After only 6 weeks and minimal effort I already feel like I found something I can stick with, finally! It's been a little cold lately, but I'm able to use my husband's treadmill on bad days to keep my step count up. I love this book and would highly recommend it to anyone frustrated like I was. Another thing is it's small and portable, so I always have it tucked in my bag. When I have a few extra minutes, I always manage to find another helpful tip to keep me motivated. Different things work for different people, but I really would encourage anyone to try this. If it's working for me, it could work for anyone! I don't know if I'll ever get so crazy about exercise that I become a gym rat, but walking is SO easy for me, and if I'm dicsiplined about it, it really does help. Also, on each page the author mentions [...] I discovered that there are more of his tips there, and there are also a few people on the program who are keeping a blog about their progress, which is also encouraging to read now and then. Mr. Issacs, if you're reading this, thank you! What else can I say? BUY THIS BOOK!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice for the information, May 20, 2008
Stella Nemeth (Macungie, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
It would not be appropriate for me to try to walk 10,000 steps a day at this point in my life. I'm 67, have bad knees and arthritis. I had knee surgery a couple of years ago and that did get me off the walker and cane, but I'm still not normal for a woman of my age.

The book is great because it doesn't take it for granted that you are 35 and just a bit under-active. There is information in there even for people like me. And even a surprise because it turned out that I had already progressed into the moderate activity range, if only just barely.

The book explains how to find your own baseline. Where you are now. It explains how to set up a reasonable goal for increasing activity. And how to do that even if you are never going to run a marathon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy way to Health and Fitness, March 24, 2007
Anyone can use this book. It is written in a friendly, easy to read and understand style. Easy to get started on a life-long healthy activity that anyone, any age, young or elder, can do. We all feel better when we exercise and this is an inexpensive, easy to do it. The information, instruction, advice are great. We loved the quotes too. Highly recommend this book to purchase and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10,000 Steps a Day, May 11, 2010
I recently purchased a pedometer and decided to become more organized in my walking plan. I purchased this and one other book about Step programs. I prefer this one by far. It is organized and inpires through easy thoughtful methods. I am half way through reading and have been able to incorporate different ideas into my life. This is a six month program that focuses the first three months on getting moving - consistently - and is adaptable to any health level. The second 90 day plan, which I'm about to read about, focuses on managing other life styles such as food to support the continued walking plan for weight loss. This book works for me. Amazon, as always, handled my purchase with ease.

3.0 out of 5 stars 10,000 steps is not enough, March 22, 2013

60 - 8 000

Age men - Steps per day
18-50 12 000
50 - 11 000

Journal reference: BMI - referenced cut-points for pedometer - determined steps/day in adults. Tudor-Locke, Bassett Jr, Rutherford, Ainsworth, Chan, Crocteau, Giles-Corti, Le Masurier, Moreau, Mrozek, Oppert, Raustorp, Strath, Thompson, Whitt-Glover, Wilde, Wojicik. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2008 (5) Suppl 1. S126-S139.

==========

How many steps/day are enough? Preliminary pedometer indices for public health.
Tudor-Locke C, Bassett DR Jr.
Source

Department of Exercise and Wellness, Arizona State University, Mesa, Arizona 85212, USA.
Abstract

Pedometers are simple and inexpensive body-worn motion sensors that are readily being used by researchers and practitioners to assess and motivate physical activity behaviours. Pedometer-determined physical activity indices are needed to guide their efforts. Therefore, the purpose of this article is to review the rationale and evidence for general pedometer-based indices for research and practice purposes. Specifically, we evaluate popular recommendations for steps/day and attempt to translate existing physical activity guidelines into steps/day equivalents. Also, we appraise the fragmented evidence currently available from associations derived from cross-sectional studies and a limited number of interventions that have documented improvements (primarily in body composition and/or blood pressure) with increased steps/day.

A value of 10000 steps/day is gaining popularity with the media and in practice and can be traced to Japanese walking clubs and a business slogan 30+ years ago. 10000 steps/day appears to be a reasonable estimate of daily activity for apparently healthy adults and studies are emerging documenting the health benefits of attaining similar levels. Preliminary evidence suggests that a goal of 10000 steps/day may not be sustainable for some groups, including older adults and those living with chronic diseases. Another concern about using 10000 steps/day as a universal step goal is that it is probably too low for children, an important target population in the war against obesity. Other approaches to pedometer-determined physical activity recommendations that are showing promise of health benefit and individual sustainability have been based on incremental improvements relative to baseline values.

Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:
(i). 5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index';
(ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active';
(iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and
(iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'.
------------

Why do pedometers work?: a reflection upon the factors related to successfully increasing physical activity.

Tudor-Locke C, Lutes L.

Source: Walking Behaviour Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA. Tudor-Locke@pbrc.edu

Abstract: The results of two recent independent meta-analyses focused on pedometer-based programmes conclude that they work; that is, they are effective. Specifically, physical activity increases while blood pressure and weight decrease as a result of participating in a pedometer-based intervention......

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Great Program, Poor Pedometer, March 1, 2008
MonaLS (Hayward, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The information in the book is easy to follow and I have already started losing weight on a 10,000 steps program. However I am using a different, inexpensive pedometer because I found the pedometer included with the book counted every jiggle of my leg as a step - over counting steps by the thousands. Book is recommended, pedometer is not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new to a regular exercises, May 1, 2008
I bought a pedometer and wanted to add 10,000 steps a day to amp up my exercise routine. It suggests you wear the pedometer for 2 weeks to get a baseline steps per day. I bought the book and was ready to get started and I was not interested in waiting for 2 more weeks. There was nothing new to learn from this book except how many step a minute you can count for other exercises. I teach 8 water aerobic classes a week and wanted to now how to count that. My summary of the book is "skip the book, buy a better pedometer and start walking 10,000 or more steps a day:.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Healthy Journey, December 17, 2007
T. Bailey (The Big Easy (NO)) - See all my reviews
This book not only provides insight on "How to Get to YOUR Optimal Weight", it also provides so many helpful things to gain better health. I am grateful for this book because it is helping "me" to gain perspective on becoming a better, much leaner, and healthier person. The contents have inspired, motivated, and encouraged me to continue on my Healthy Journey!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars 10,000 Steps a Day, March 14, 2011
Amazon Customer (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
The book is a handy tool, has lots of good info but the pedometer is a chintzy piece of trash. It won't stay on and it won't register any steps. I only gave 3 stars due to the pedometer.

3.0 out of 5 stars 10,000 Steps a Day, manual., February 21, 2014
This book "10,000 Steps a Day" is good for the new walker. It is a little repetitive, but just tells you the facts about walking. It's a little pricey for what it is. You can control your weight if if if, you work your way up to 10,000 steps a day.

10,000 Steps a Day to Your Optimal Weight: Walk Your Way to Better Health