5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition has tons of useful recipes
Published 13 months ago by Joanna Daneman

3.0 out of 5 stars I like some hot foods
I like some hot foods, but this had recipes that I personally didn't like. You might like them if you like a lot of different hot foods.
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition has tons of useful recipes, January 16, 2014
This book has an amazing amount of info, recipes and technique for hot peppers. Right out of the gate, you can read how to process New Mexico green chiles. This fire-roasted chiles are a staple in our family, and because I am the East Coast holdout and not living in the Southwest like the rest of the clan, I don't have access to the fire-roasted chiles you can buy by the side of the road in the fall season. This book tells you how to make them and store them (for example, they are a low-acid fruit so canning them requires using a pressure canner. Better to freeze them, says the author, and that's what most people do.)

In addition to how to prepare various chiles, you get recipes for chile oil, curries, salsas, chutneys, rubs, condiments, and even drinks. It runs the gamut of dishes from soup to dessert. How about New Mexico bread pudding with Chimayo chile? (They are a mild red chile that make the body of chile con carne and are very rich and flavorful. I sometimes use guajillo chiles as a substitute but they aren't quite the same sweetness. However, most Mexican groceries and even the supermarket have guajillo chiles almost everywhere. You have to mail order the Chimayo chile, but it's worth it.)

This is a really great book, if you are a lover of hot peppers. I found quite a few things I want to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and very highly recommended pick, February 13, 2011
This review is from: 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes (Paperback)
The love of spice is something quite universal. "1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Recipes from Around the Globe" is a guide to those who are looking for the best hot and spicy dishes from all over the planet. With the amount of dishes covering an assortment of of types from vegetarian to meat dishes, to beverages, desserts, and much more. For anyone looking for a wide array dishes with vastly different flavor with the united purpose of spice, "1,001 best Hot and Spicy Recipes" is a wonderful and very highly recommended pick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book for chileheads, January 22, 2014
The author is known as "The Pope of Peppers" in the media, which are pretty good credentials for writing a comprehensive book on the use of chile peppers. And it is comprehensive, with almost 900 pages of hot and spicy recipes. Using peppers like the poblano, jalapeño, serrano, habanero, and yellow wax peppers, the recipes include a broad range of dishes, including hot sauces and salsas, beverages, appetizers, salads, soups and stews, pork and beef, poultry, seafood, barbeque, and even desserts. There are also some meatless main dishes for vegans. Each recipe indicates how hot the prepared dish will be on the heat scale - mild, medium, or hot.

The book begins with general information about chile peppers. There are tips on preparing and preserving fresh peppers that are available in the warmer months (freezing and drying are the two main methods).

And by the way, I've always believed that the best way to relieve the burn of hot peppers was with a cold, fizzy soft drink. Not so, says the author. To relieve the burn, use dairy products, the thicker the better. A protein called casein in dairy products strips capsaicin molecules from the receptors in the mouth and tongue, so use heavy cream, sour cream, yogurt, or ice cream to kill the burn.

If you like your food hot and spicy, Dave DeWitt's big book will be a great addition to your cooking library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tons of recipes, October 14, 2011
This review is from: 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes (Paperback)
This is a really comprehensive cookbook. It has every type of recipe imaginable in every category. I am a chili head so having this many hot and spicy recipes in one book is wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone who eats hot sauce and hot/spicy foods regularly. There are some recipes that call for items I've never heard of that have to be purchased at a specialty market, but most of them have ingredients from the grocery store. The price was really reasonable. This is a big fat book. If anyone knows hot and spicy, it's Dave Dewitt.

4.0 out of 5 stars I read some of the book and like the different collections of hot and spicy recipes from ..., December 15, 2014
oswin dacosta (Houston, Tx, USA) - See all my reviews
I read some of the book and like the different collections of hot and spicy recipes from all over the world, very interested.

I think book has some great information on the different spicy foods worldwide and this makes it stand out, it does not just cover local cuisine but stuff from South America, the Caribbean, among other places. So we can basically try to make spicy foods from other places, kind of like a little spicy food tour not just locally but from elsewhere. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes, October 16, 2012
This review is from: 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes (Paperback)
The book is full of interesting and unique dishes that range from short to long and mild to hot. f you like food with a bite then this book will not let you down. I was surprised actually at just how well written that it was. Highly recommend it and would consider using this particular book as a gift for someone who enjoys cooking with heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THE HARDBOUND COPY, February 26, 2013
RiverCat (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this on my Kindle to check it out and have decided to buy the hard copy. This is the most all inclusive chili recipe I've found. Love this book! The ingredients are not that hard to find and there are so many choices. I can't say enough good things about this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, GRATIFYING & EXCEEDINGLY ACCURATE!!!!!, January 15, 2014
Though I cannot possibly attempt all of these recipes - I can say they're concise and complete. From experience these recipes are worth the effort to make and savour them. I am familiar with quite a few and eagerly anticipate trying some others soon. Definitely recommended for both accuracy and information. Very well done indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars How about flavor, May 15, 2014
I like spicy food. I make my own hot sauce at home from a variety of hot peppers I grow myself. Spicy doesn't mean just HOT. I have to be able to taste my food. That's why I cook in the first place. This book gives me that opportunity. I have a preference for medium heat in the spice department. Yet I can make things as Hot and Spicy as I want using this book. If you love hot stuff, get this book and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hang On Yummy!, April 4, 2014
Joan (Tacoma, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
I liked the recipes since they were easy to follow, have on hand ingredients and you can up the heat if you like or tone it down for those who can't handle it.

1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes
1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes by Dave DeWitt (Paperback - October 1, 2010)
$19.95 $14.96