Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

on November 4, 2008
This is the second book I have bought in the '1001 Recipes' series, and I haven't been disappointed with either one! The recipes in this slow cooker book are delicious, and they are broken down into well-organized chapters. I especially like that there are two chapters for vegetarian recipes...there is something for everyone! Though not explicitly advertised as a low-fat book, this book has recipes that have an aim to be healthy and lower in fat and calories. Every recipe has nutritional information, which is very helpful. I think that the only thing I would change about the book would be to add a breakfast chapter. Other than that, great book!
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2009
If you like to eat stews and soups, then this is the book for you. There are definitely 1,001 recipes, but about 70% of those recipes are stews and soups. The sad thing is that there are a few recipes that are exactly the same except for one or two ingredients (say with carrots and potatoes or withouot). Good for a first-timer who has no imagination. But if you thought you would be getting variety with 1,001 different recipes, look for another book.
on December 17, 2008
We just started to make Crock Pot, slow cooker, meals to take advantage of the money and time savings. We both work long hours and really need to have dinner ready soon after getting home. This book contains a truly wide variety of recipes covering all meals (and dessert). We have tried a number of the dinner selections and have been very happy with all of them. Thumbing through the book, we are sure the ones we haven't gotten to yet will be just as satisfying. Excellent choice for people who have never tried slow cooking. Well thought out with a nice variety.
VINE VOICEon December 23, 2008
My son gave us a slow cooker and some cookbooks to start me off on new culinary adventures, and this is my favorite one so far. It's loaded with easy to put together recipes and excellent nutrition information. Although not a "healthy" or "low fat" cookbook specifically, a lot of the recipes are healthy and nutritious, or have healthy options. And salt is always added last and only to taste. No cream of mushroom soup recipes here. The slow cooker I got is Hamilton Beach 33134 3-in-1 Slow Cooker with 2-, 4-, and 6-Quart Crocks and it's great.
on January 22, 2011
I just purchased this and haven't made any of the recipes yet. I want to alert Kindle users to the fact that the nutritional information is provided in a large block, which takes up almost as much space as the recipe. For some recipes, this info takes an entire page, so you have to scroll through an entire page of the nutritional info from one recipe to get to the next recipe. What this means is that the recipes are oddly laid out because of all the space taken up by these blocks of nutritional info. I think this distracts from the usability of the Kindle version.
on April 1, 2011
I have had great luck with every single soup recipe I've tried out of this book. The only negative I've found with the entire book is that all recipes don't specify the recommended size slow-cooker. But, follow the general rules for all slow-cooking, written in the helpful hints section. This will allow you to adapt all the recipes for your particular size slow-cooker. I have also gotten great ideas for bread puddings and other things, which I have adapted to the oven or stove-top. Definitely has already become a regular "go-to" book in my kitchen. I recommend to anyone trying to learn about and experiment with their new slow-cooker. So many recipes, you'll never have to cook the same thing twice.
on December 17, 2008
I found that a significant number of recipes in this book rely on canned foods. Anyone can throw a couple of canned beans and veggies together and call it soup. I was a bit disappointed with this book.
55 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
I was fortunate enough to snag this book as a Kindle book when it was free one weekend.

The formatting is a pain. The nutritional information and points are given at the beginning of each recipe. While I am always pleased when a cookbook includes nutritional information, the standard recipe convention is for the nutritional information to be at the end of the recipe, not the beginning.

The recipes do not start on their own page, which just annoys me.

There isn't a single photograph of a dish in the entire book. When reading an e-cookbook on a color-capable reader it makes me feel something is lacking.

Many of the appetizers in the first chapter could be made in a crockpot, but unless it were your only method of cooking food I don't know why you would. The Sugar-Glazed Five-Spice Pecan recipe makes me afraid I'd end up with a big, gooey, burnt mess in my crockpot. Why wouldn't I just do them in the oven on parchment paper? As for the dips, I'm sure many are delicious, but unless you're making a large quantity for a large group, why would you dirty up your crockpot for a recipe that would barely cover the bottom of the pot instead of just doing it in the microwave?

The beverage recipes are fine - I've mulled wine and made other hot beverages for parties in crockpots many times.

Some of the recipes are oddly named. For example, Nicoise Fish Soup. I thought, wow, a soup based on Salade Nicoise, that sounds interesting! (If you haven't had it, a Salade Nicoise is composed of blanched green beans, new potatoes, cherry tomaties, tuna, anchovies, hard-boiled eggs and Nicoise olives with a vinaigrette dressing and originates from Nicoise, France.) The only thing this recipe has in common with Salade Nicoise is that it has fish in it (although it doesn't specify tuna) and some chopped tomatoes.

The Savory Mushroom & Barley Soup is called so because it has a teaspoon of savory leaves. Made with water, diced tomatoes, mirepoix (the French term for chopped onions, celery and carrots), fennel seed, mushroom and barley sounds so bland that I can't imagine eating it.

The Cucumber Vichyssoise with Roasted Red Pepper Swirl is really something. By definition, Vichyssoise is a cold, pureed soup of potato, leek, cream and chicken stock. Not one of those ingredients is in this soup.

Mediterranean Vegetable Soup just made me laugh. The third ingredient is TOFU. Because you know those Mediterraneans are ALL OVER the tofu, right? Didn't they INVENT IT?

I get the impression that the authors made up some recipes, then brainstormed to come up with exotic-sounding names for them.

I'm sure some of the recipes are very yummy, although a lot of them don't appeal to me at all. I make a LOT of soups, stews, chilis and so forth and use my crockpot quite a bit, but just because you COULD make something a crockpot (cakes, cheesecake, etc.) doesn't mean you would want to or that it would be an improvement over another more traditional cooking method.

As Julia Child once said, "A cookbook is only as good as its worst recipe."
on December 23, 2010
I've been looking online for years to get new ideas for making dinner in the slow cooker. I needn't tell anyone who's tried it that almost every recipe calls for canned soups or onion soup packets. Although we buy our share of chips and cookies, with 5 kiddos, I do try to prepare healthy meals with real ingredients, and with this book I can!
I know one reviewer was disappointed at the number of soup and stew recipes, but I'm thrilled! I can roast meat and bake potatoes just fine, but to get meal prep out of the way AND have everything required for nutrition in one pot is A-OK with me.
Most recipes call for low sodium broth, in keeping with the "good for you" aspect. The marvelous thing is that if you're a new cook, the recipe's right there. For me, it's fun to get ideas...pick and choose parts of recipes to make something new I know my entire family will love.
There are also recipes for non crock pot additions to meals like mashed potatoes and rices.
Nutrition information is included with each recipe, in addition to Weight Watchers exchange units, for those who may be interested in that. Add to that all 4 types of vegetarian cooking and I cannot imagine anything's been omitted--not even breads and desserts.
I haven't tried breads, being blessed with a bread machine, nor desserts, being blessed with 4 daughters who all love to bake, but I will soon just out of curiosity.

All in all it's a winner, especially for the price. I thought of the Kindle version, but still love to thumb through a "real" cookbook. Can't wait to try some new meals!
on June 26, 2012
Don't miss out. Get this e-book now while it's still free. I've never seen so many slow cooker recipes. I usually go through a cook book and copy down the recipes I want to try and then delete it. There's no way you can get through this whole book. I finally gave up and went to the contents at the beginning. There are great appetizer recipes, drinks, a huge amount of soups, stews, chowders. There's somethng for everyone. I like that most recipes are from scratch and don't just throw canned products together. Contrary to other reviews I didn't find these recipes used mostly canned/packaged products. There are even recipes if you want to make your own broths instead of buying canned or packaged. Just can't wait to try these recipes.