Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1,001 Heart Healthy Recipes: Quick, Delicious Recipes High in Fiber and Low in Sodium and Cholesterol That Keep You Committed to Your Healthy Lifestyle
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on May 3, 2013
My husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol and needed an angioplasty and stent. We know what he can't eat (including white bread, white rice, white pasta, butter, very little eggs and cheese, etc.) and the kinds of thing that he can eat. But just knowing what someone can eat does not tell you how to cook nutritious, interesting meals. I have been searching for recipes that meet his needs. Phenomenally, in this day and age, there is practically nothing av ailable. The write up to this book led me to believe it would include the sort of recipes we need. I was pretty unhappy to see that most of the recipes include forbidden foods, including butter, eggs and refined grain. Aside from a few recipes for brown or wild rice and other whole grains, it has been almost useless. Also, the 1,001 title is very misleading! What he does is take a basic recipe, add one or two different ingredients, and call it a whole new recipe. Example: brown rice with chicken broth, or with parsley, or with some other teeny change that should have been just options off the main recipe.
on February 22, 2013
I can't say enough good things about this book. I use it constantly in my cooking. A lot of wonderful bread recipes are included. That is one of the hardest things to get right in the low sodium world. You really miss getting to make a good sandwich that does't fall apart before you can eat it. Now you can.
on April 17, 2013
My husband had quadruple by-pass surgery and has high blood pressure. He is on low-sodium, low fat, low cholesterol diet. It's been hard trying to find recipes that add flavor and ways to season foods so they still taste good. This cookbook has many recipes that will keep him track with his diet and taste delicious, and we keep continuing to find more in this book.
on September 1, 2014
For me, some of the best recipes are the staples. Normal soy sauce has almost 1,000 mg of sodium. The recipe in this cookbook for low sodium soy has only 50+ mg. a few things require a trip to a Whole Foods or other market, but being able to make the foods my family loves, that tastes the same only without the heart troubling ingredients, is worth the trip.
on November 10, 2013
I've tried many recipes in this cookbook. It's great to have all the nutritional information for each recipe- but be careful! Often times, the recipe seems pretty healthy until you see how many people it serves and thus what the actual serving size is (small!) I've had to improvise many of the recipes because I've felt that the written recipes were too bland. Overall, I give it 4 stars even if I do make changes, because it gives me a good springboard to start cooking a bit more healthy.
on January 31, 2016
Many many good recipes and organized in a great format. I have found many good recipes that really work. There a many more I intend to try. As a diabetic I need to adapt many of the recipes. Even some do not meet the newest "heart healthy" standards since this is a compilation of two older books. but they can be adapted.
on January 12, 2013
I have three of his books and they are all fantastic. Great recipes, easily available ingredients, and common sense. With a heart condition and a spouse with diabetes this is great.
on January 23, 2014
Every cookbook should have at least a few pictures. This one doesn't have even one, (well ok there is the one on the cover). The information in the book is good and so far I really like the recipes that I have used.
on November 4, 2013
The recipes are easy to follow and not so many ingredients in them compared to other cookbooks. Plus the recipes give you an idea of how much the calories and those things are in the food you are making.
on May 5, 2013
Are you stressed out over how to feed your family a nutritious meal at the end of a long, busy day without turning to convenience foods or the drive-through? Now, the nation's most trusted authority on heart-healthy living presents a cookbook bursting with nourishing, flavorful recipes to please the palates of family members of all ages.

Books are saving lives. Health-minded Americans know that to break their bad eating habits, going it alone isn't a realistic option; they need expert help. Every recipe I have made so far from this cookbook has tasted great! It is so nice to really enjoy a healthy meal.

This is a great one for your cookbook library. We have made a goal to try at least one new recipe each week. This cookbook is one of the best with important information about nutritional content of the recipes.

I would HIGHLY recommend this cookbook for anyone looking for a healthy diet with low calorie meals!