5.0 out of 5 stars Really good low sodium resource
I can't say enough good things about this book. I use it constantly in my cooking. A lot of wonderful bread recipes are included. That is one of the hardest things to get right in the low sodium world. You really miss getting to make a good sandwich that does't fall apart before you can eat it. Now you can.
Published 23 months ago by sewmac

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what the title suggests.
Published 21 months ago by Donna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what the title suggests., May 3, 2013
Donna "DJW in San Diego" (San Diego, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,001 Heart Healthy Recipes: Quick, Delicious Recipes High in Fiber and Low in Sodium and Cholesterol That Keep You Committed to Your Healthy Lifestyle (Paperback)
My husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol and needed an angioplasty and stent. We know what he can't eat (including white bread, white rice, white pasta, butter, very little eggs and cheese, etc.) and the kinds of thing that he can eat. But just knowing what someone can eat does not tell you how to cook nutritious, interesting meals. I have been searching for recipes that meet his needs. Phenomenally, in this day and age, there is practically nothing av ailable. The write up to this book led me to believe it would include the sort of recipes we need. I was pretty unhappy to see that most of the recipes include forbidden foods, including butter, eggs and refined grain. Aside from a few recipes for brown or wild rice and other whole grains, it has been almost useless. Also, the 1,001 title is very misleading! What he does is take a basic recipe, add one or two different ingredients, and call it a whole new recipe. Example: brown rice with chicken broth, or with parsley, or with some other teeny change that should have been just options off the main recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good low sodium resource, February 22, 2013
sewmac (Minden, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Healthy Cookbook, April 17, 2013
Mama C "Charlene" (Clarksdale, MS USA) - See all my reviews
My husband had quadruple by-pass surgery and has high blood pressure. He is on low-sodium, low fat, low cholesterol diet. It's been hard trying to find recipes that add flavor and ways to season foods so they still taste good. This cookbook has many recipes that will keep him track with his diet and taste delicious, and we keep continuing to find more in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great author, January 12, 2013
I have three of his books and they are all fantastic. Great recipes, easily available ingredients, and common sense. With a heart condition and a spouse with diabetes this is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, nice cookbook, November 10, 2013
I've tried many recipes in this cookbook. It's great to have all the nutritional information for each recipe- but be careful! Often times, the recipe seems pretty healthy until you see how many people it serves and thus what the actual serving size is (small!) I've had to improvise many of the recipes because I've felt that the written recipes were too bland. Overall, I give it 4 stars even if I do make changes, because it gives me a good springboard to start cooking a bit more healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 18, 2013
I have cooked several of the items out of the book and they have been very good. Like the way the book is designed.

1.0 out of 5 stars i love cookbooks but I hate this one!, December 10, 2014
Author needs to remember when making a cookbook cooks are going to need to flip back and forth without losing their places. My KJV Bible has each book and chapter indexed so you can quickly go to Mark ch 15:16. This book has the Chapters of like breakfast indexed but doesn't have recipes indexed so you end up paging and paging it is time consuming tedious and if you're in a hurry or hungry your like forget it!! So your diet goes no where!
Also author grouped again Pages of possibly unnecessary terms with metric measurements a very I'm not sure what order he used for index cause all my others used alphabetical I have 2 I think that go group like beef - meatloaf roast etc. but his seemed to flip flop and maybe on paper it is easier to read but in kindle form author needs to think readability Also I tested not all but just a few of the index recipes I finally was able to locate after a good hour of looking in this book. And when I pressed the number not thinking that 1 it wouldn't work and 2 surely it would take me back to here at least since this is indexed. But it didn't take me anywhere close to the recipe. It actually to me to the end of totally different one. And the next one didn't match either But in order for indexing to work and function correctly you have to index both sides. So the index would have the recipe listed with the page number indexed. Then on the recipe. Probably in small print so it isn't as noticeable if you are looking at paper form but something like this it would still have the page for the index page the recipe is listed.

5.0 out of 5 stars some of the best recipes are the staples, September 1, 2014
For me, some of the best recipes are the staples. Normal soy sauce has almost 1,000 mg of sodium. The recipe in this cookbook for low sodium soy has only 50+ mg. a few things require a trip to a Whole Foods or other market, but being able to make the foods my family loves, that tastes the same only without the heart troubling ingredients, is worth the trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 10, 2014
Recipes are good but I wonder just how heart healthy they really are

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cook Book Out There, May 21, 2014
edith cooley (BROWNS SUMMIT, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This book has it all. As a Healthy eating specialist I would not change anything. This book is great for Heart Patients, and those who want to stay healthy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›