Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

This thing rocks for shredding cheese! My family doesn't like the pre-shredded stuff, and loves to just grab handfuls of freshly shredded cheddar cheese to munch on. However, normally shredding cheese involved grating your knuckles in the process, and a lot of arm muscle. Enter, the Salad Shooter!

I purchased my Salad Shooter last November. I buy 2 lb bricks of Tillamook cheese, and cut them into 5 pieces so they'll fit into the chute. This is the most time consuming part of shredding cheese for me now, and it doesn't take that long! Then, I shred the cut sections of cheese. Yes, the Salad Shooter is loud, but it only takes me seconds to shred 2 pounds of cheese. So, I don't mind the noise.

Clean up is easy. A quick rinse to get the bigger bits of stuck cheese off (not sure if this is even necessary, but I do it anyway), and then everything goes in the dishwasher, except for the motor bit, and that only rarely needs a quick wipe with a paper towel. I love it.

I've probably shredded about 30 pounds of cheese with my Salad Shooter, and it's still going strong. For every family gathering, I volunteer to bring the shredded cheese.... it's just so much easier for me to do it.

*Update: October 6, 2008* I've probably shredded well over 60 lbs of cheese now with my Salad Shooter, and it still looks brand new. Since I wash everything in the dishwasher, I kept expecting rust spots to show up on the metal grating part, but there's no rust to be found. I'm very pleased!

**2nd update: July 2010** Still going strong.... I don't even want to guess how many pounds of cheese I've shredded with this Salad Shooter! :) Shredding blade cone had a hairline crack in the plastic part of it for several months but I kept using it, and now there's a bigger crack near it. Ordered a replacement cone directly from Presto this month, arrived in 4 days. I have a habit of pushing hard on the cheddar cheese in the chute, so I think that put a lot of stress on the shredding cone. 2 and a half years for that first shredding cone isn't bad, though, seeing what I put it through!

*Another update: March 2013* I still use this shredder and it's still going strong! =)
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2008
I should have had one years ago but no one told me how wonderful the Salad Shooter is. My husband loves it also & uses it equally. I keep it on the counter next to the coffee maker with the large slicer attached.
It's small, pretty & gets used almost daily. Cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini - rinse, cut small slice off ends & drop in Salad Shooter. Out the other end come beautiful slices that get eaten in our salads instead of looking good in the refrigerator. Mushrooms slice in a few seconds & look so attractive on casseroles or salad. Wash 3 potatoes, cut in half & insert in SS. I shoot them directly onto a cookie pan. Spritz a little oil or not - add some paprika & grated parmesan - into a 350 oven for 25 minutes & instant potato chips that are good for you. Radishes, celery, lettuce head, cabbage - everything comes out looking beautiful. Switch to grating cone & I can grate 2 pounds of cheddar or other cheese in about 2 minutes. I place it in a plastic tub for use during the week. The SS is easy to clean - no cuts on hands from knives or hand graters. We read the reviews about the noise. It is noisy - for about 30 seconds but who cares? Our cats are not afraid of it. My husband loves salads & makes a big one for both of us. How I wish I had owned this when my children were growing up. It is so light to hold, powerful, pretty - I am going to give it for gifts from now on. I keep the other cones in a zip bag under the counter. I can't find anything bad about this appliance. What a wonderful addition to our family.

4/18/2009

Back with more info. After 6 months I am still in love with this kitchen toy. Now - for the men who longed for sliced cheese. Buy an 8 ounce block of cheddar, Monterey Jack etc. set up cheese on end on paper towel or plastic wrap. Use a fairly sharp knife & cut the package in half lengthwise so you have 2 tall pieces of cheese about 6" tall by 2" wide. Place one block at a time in your SS with the slicer cone & shoot slices into a container (I like the plastic containers that come with luncheon meat). Carry your container of cheese slices & a box of crackers to the TV or your computer & you have perfect little appetizers.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2007
I had a small version of salad shooter, it was great, used it for so many years, but now the blade was dull, and I kind have to push the veggy into the machine to be cut them. I decided the next salad shooter I buy should be slightly larger. So I bought this salad shooter professional series, which is great, having some features that are so important in a kitchen where cooking takes place almost every day: multiple cones to change, large feeding place for the veggy, fast, light, eassy to clean including in the dishwasher,still small enough to store in small spaces,efortless to cut and shread your veggy, no need for knife and cutting board.

What I like the most about this product is the fact that when I put veggy in it to be cut, shread..., the machine almost vaccum them in to be cut, so I do not have to push it in, probable du to sharp blades an fast speed of rotation of the blades. This way your work is done in no time.

In my oppinion it is a tool you must have in the kitchen.
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2007
The SaladShooter is great. Previously, I was unaware that it did anything other than chop up vegetables but I was wrong. It can grate cheese. After reading the reviews about it having this feature, I decided to purchase it and I'm glad that I did. Before, grating cheese was such a chore. Grating 6 blocks of cheese took almost an hour, now it takes less than 3 minutes.
I, of course, don't use the SaladShooter just for grating cheese, I also use it for vegetables. However, the cheese grating feature was the main selling point for me.
I also love the multiple attachments which allows you to chop and slice like a dream.

The only negative is that this product is a real pain to clean. When you're shredding, the food particles do not just stay inside the shredding attachment, it goes underneath it. This makes the interior of the unit very messy. I find that no matter what I slice, food particles get stuck in the crevices of the device.

However, I would still buy the SaladShooter again in a heartbeat. The cleaning of this unit is still faster than the time it would take to manually slice and shred.

Great product.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2009
The Salad Shooter Professional is a great gadget. It slices or shreds most any salad item with ease. The clean up is so simple.

One problem though. The retaining collar attaches with 3 small plastic tabs. After two uses, two of the tabs broke off, which means I have to tape it on to hold the cones in place. I contacted Presto via email twice, but so far, they have not responded.

Their website offers the collar for $3 plus S&H, but I shouldn't have to pay for a less-than-two month old item with a one year warranty.

I would consider this lack of service when purchasing future Presto products.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After grating off a chunk of my pinkie, I've had enough of my evil grater and started looking for a faster and safer solution to my shredded carrots addiction.
Following tons and tons of research, I bought the supremely ugly SaladShooter. It does what it is advertised to do, and does it beautifullly. I can shred 5 lb of carrots in minutes. MINUTES! Washing them and cutting off all the ends takes more time.

Just why does it have to be so very ugly? It also stains from certain veggies right away, in my case obviously carrots, so I wish it came in red or black instead of offwhite.

I uploaded pictures to show the uglyness of orange stains.
review image review image
on February 24, 2006
when I bougth this product I never thought that it was going to help me much, but now I can tell you that it has changed my life. I use it for all my salads. I reccommend using it with hash browns, cheese, carrots, radishes, cucumber, sliced potatoes, and so on. Since it has different slicers you can choose whichever you like the best. I reccommend it a lot!
on November 7, 2007

After 2 years of use (about 4 times a month), the plastic gear shaft that plugs into the main mechanism was never properly snug. So, it stripped out and as well, the area where the shaft is inserted into is also stripped, i.e., both the base mechanism and grater holder are stripped.

Maybe the plastic used is too soft?

So, anyway, can't use it at all and there is no way to repair it. Definitely not as solidly made as the ones 2 plus decades ago. Big waste of money. Bought many new graters and no way to use them unless I buy a completely new machine. Do not want to waste my money on a new one. Will buy a food processor instead.

=========================================

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Needs a Second Size Grater

Good old Salad Shooter. Got a cordless one back in the mid-80s and loved it, but they stopped making the battery piece for it and mine died. Should have bought the one with the cord, so I could still use it.

With the Professional version, the blades and feeding shoot are bigger and wider than the basic Salad Shooter, but sadly, there is only one grating blade and it grates in thick results. So, you have to go to [...] to order variable grater sizes.

No fine grating here. That's good for carrots (FYI, celery does NOT grate well in this -- it clogs horribly, use a different blade), but if you want your parmesan delicate, you will need to then put it in a food processor to pulverize it to powder. No in-between solution for thin, grated cheese.

Kind of defeats my main purpose of the shooter. Would have preferred to see 2 types of grating blades in the package.

Easy clean up (except be warned, when you grate cheese a good dollop is left behind the twist-on ring and in the bottom of the shoot). A little clumsy getting the unit to snap together. The old basic Shooter was easier to lock and load.

Otherwise, seems to be a strong tool (it's a bit loud) -- had it about 3 months; so far so good.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We use our salad shooter to shread and slice just about anything food-wise in our kitchen. I don't think I would want to make a salad without the Salad Shooter. I use the Salad Shooter for carrots,cucumbers (sliced into 1/4 legenthwise) peeled celery, boc choy,cabbage, radishes, mushrooms,potato's and alot of other foods. Big or small Job I like to save time in the kitchen.I have used the salad shooter for baking with Chocolate and other hard items. I just pullout the salad shooter and I'm done very fast. I make alot of chinise dishes. A big advantage of the salad shooter is that you can aim it right into the cooking pan or the mixing bowl. Anything that saves a bit of prep & clean-up time is great in My book!Presto 02910 SaladShooter Electric Slicer/Shredder
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I use it mostly for shredding cheese and it does a wonderful job with both hard and semi-soft cheeses.