4.0 out of 5 stars Green Day in the raw (sorta)
Published on January 2, 2008 by Laszlo Matyas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Effort
Green Day's first CD may not be the best thing you've listened to at first, but I think you are really guarenteed to like it if you are a fan of punk/pop. This CD is pretty much a 3 Chord deal about girls, problems, and just life in general. It is a great CD and it is really...relaxing. My favorite track is the first one, At the Library. I also really like Don't Leave Me,...
Published on August 11, 2001 by Cory Gill

4.0 out of 5 stars Green Day in the raw (sorta), January 2, 2008
Even in their early days, Green Day didn't have a particularly aggressive or uncommercial sound- they were their some jumpy, poppy selves, a virtual assembly line of pop-punk crunchiness, with crunch three-chord melodies and nasal vocals. Back then, Billie Joe and company still wrote songs about girls and laziness and boredom, with shades of humor and angst shimmering through the mix. The only thing that was particularly different (aside from the somewhat muddy sound quality) was that Tre Cool had yet to become the band's drummer- his predecessor, a fellow by the name of John Kiffmeyer, isn't bad by any means. He doesn't have Cool's explosive approach, but he knows how to keep a rhythm just fine, and he's got more than enough punky energy.

This disc offers plenty of proof of that. It's a compilation that includes their entire first album (39/Smooth, which makes up the first 10 tracks), as well as two E.P.s (1000 Hours and Slappy, which, respectively, make up tracks 15-18 and 11-14 of this record), and the compilation track "I Want To Be Alone." All of it was released on Lookout! records, and all in all it comprises about half of their pre-major label output. It's all fine stuff for a fan of the band. If you hate Green Day based on records like Dookie and Insomniac, this probably won't change your mind very much. If you've never listened to them before, this isn't really the best place to start: the aforementioned two records are a better bet. Or you could go for the wonderful International Superhits compilation.

As far as highlights go, I really like the rollicking "Don't Leave Me," as well as the exuberant "Going To Pasalacqua." There's also a wonderfully emotional four chord romp called "Only Of You," and a deathlessly catchy song by the name of "1000 Hours." It isn't perfect- "Why Do You Want Him?," "The Judge's Daughter," and others sound more generic than anything, and the cover of Operation Ivy's "Knowledge" sounds like more of a bad joke than anything else. But it's still a fine collection, if you're into this kind of thing (and I certainly am).

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, October 29, 2005
The very first glimpse of Green Day....it rocks. This is solid punk...loud, fast, and awesome. Anyone who remotely likes punk should dig this. The price is great and well worth it, because it comes with all of that cool extra stuff. If you enjoyed this album, then try Kerplunk also, because it has the same great punk sound. I like Insomniac a lot, but after hearing this I had to consider, because 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours rocks too.

I don't really have any favorites on here because I like them all, but At the Library, I was There, and Green Day are some good ones. The song Green Day will tell you all you need to know about how they came up with the band's name...... So if you've found yourself becoming more and more disappointed with Green Day as the years go on, I suggest that you look backward, not forward. So, have you bought it yet? If not, then stop reading this and do yourself a favor by buying it!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess you had to be there!, July 18, 2003
I suppose it's strange for some people who were first introduced to Green Day with 'Dookie' and thereafter to come back in time to listen to this album. Not only that, but I am willing to bet that many of those people are not accustomed to listening to underground bands. This is what most bands sound like when they are not on major labels, folks... and if you're not used to that, then you probably aren't even aware of most of the best that punk music has to offer. And if that's the case, then you have no basis for comparison and shouldn't be reviewing this album, because you have zero credibility.
I hope that helps to explain some of the bad reviews this album has received... because as a fan of Green Day since around 1990 when I first saw them live, I've watched them progress. I introduced them to most of my friends before the radio did. And I've seen them open shows for many many bands that never made it as big as them, or anywhere for that matter. So take it from me, this is their best work.
THe album is similar to others they've made in terms of the songwriting, etc. Some are good, some are just OK, some are out-of-this-world fantastic. This album has the largest concentration of the latter category.
"At The Library" is a total classic. The lyrics are simple and innocent, but that is the case for many classic songs. The music behind it all is the catchiest I've heard... and it has a certain something about it that makes me reminisce. Reminds me a little of the Cure.
"Don't Leave Me" is one of the better songs, and is extremely typical of their early style of music.
"Disappearing Boy" used to be a crowd favorite. Now of course it's "Longview" or something else, whatever that graduation song is.
"Going to Pasalacqua" is probably one of the best punk-pop songs ever written. Back in the day, this song was pure gold... nobody in all of punk sang like Billie Joe, or wrote melodies like this one. It was songs like this that really built their fan-base.
"16" is another great song that is typical of their style, and is reflected in some of the later songs on later albums. This is a song you can groove to.
There are a ton of other good songs on here, such as "Dry Ice," "1000 Hours" and more... but I don't have the time or patience to explain them all. Just realize that although the production quality isn't as good as their latest stuff, many of their best songs are found here. Maybe I'm biased, since these were the songs that drew me to the band... but not many of their later songs approach the raw brilliance found in these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, September 7, 2005
Mr. Mike "Mike" (San Antonio, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (damn, that's a mouthful) is an awesome album. Especially for being their first album (compiled of old EPs) it's catchy, entertaining and consistent (except for the song Knowledge). You won't be dissapointed, and it will hold your attention from "At the Library" on down (by the way, it's my favorite song).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, February 13, 2007
It's rare that a young band's first album is extremely good but with Green Day, anything is possible. I wasn't expecting much from this album when I was first getting into Green Day's music, but it completely blew me away. I definitely recommend this album to anyone and if you're a Green Day fan this is a must-have.

4.0 out of 5 stars very teenagerly, in a likable way..., August 25, 1999
By A Customer
I got this back when I was a really big green day fan... I'm not so much of a fan of theirs anymore, but I wish my tape of this tape didn't break because it was pretty good... the songs are very catchy and a lot of them are just about being an awkward geek in school, which I can relate to because I am am awkward geek at school... there are also some very nice wistful love songs on here... they don't swear on this album at all. In fact in one song Billy Joe even says "what the hey", which is cheesy, but somehow charming... having this album is sort of like having your best friend's college band's demo around and listening to it, and in a sense it almost is what you are doing... nice little slow, almost relaxing cover of "Knowledge" by Operation Ivy on there too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro!, July 5, 2005
Back when MTV fame was barely even a glint in their eye, Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and John Kiffmeyer, who preceded Tre Cool as Green Day's drummer, got together and made a few EP's and an album. This is a chronicle of that time, with the EP's "1000 Hours" and "Slappy" put on the same disc as their first album "39/Smooth."
This is Green Day at their best, although some of the songs are kind of filler, it was an excellent first effort. Despite this CD being remastered, however, the recording quality isn't very good, but don't let that get in the way of the great music. The sound back then was much more raw than it is now. Many of you who like "American Idiot" may not like this album, as this traces all the way back to their earliest days, when they could truly be called "punk." The guitar solos are a bit more flashy, the bass work is, as always, excellent, however, John Kiffmeyer wasn't as good as Tre Cool. He still does a good job as drummer, though (despite the fact that due to the lack of recording quality you can barely hear the bass drum).
As for the songs, the highlights of the album are "At the Library," "Disappearing Boy," "Green Day," "Going to Pasalacqua," "The Judge's Daughter," "Paper Lanterns," "409 in Your Coffeemaker," and "The One I want." There is also an interesting cover of Operation Ivy's "Knowledge," but I didn't appreciate it until I bought Operation Ivy's album and heard the original "Knowledge," in fact, before, I completely wrote it off as a bad song. I was pretty misaken.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Green Day's finest, January 22, 2006
Even though this is some of Green Day's earliest work, the quality of the music is just as good as ever. The band is very commendable for upholding its reputation throughout the years, for my favorite Green Day albums are this one and American Idiot, the earliest and latest CDs as of now. The style of 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a punk rock one, and has a similar feel to Kerplunk yet is much more catchy and well constructed. Appeal is also derived from such factors as choppy guitars, cool patterns, and a more than satisfactory amount of songs (nineteen). The melody I would most recommend on this album is "Don't Leave Me", which is a fun punk rock piece with a good chorus, fast-paced guitar, and an incessantly catchy chord progression. I also highly favor the song "Knowledge", which is very different compared to Green Day's usual style. The electric guitar on this track is much slower, and cruises along in a swinging manner while Billie Joe emits insanely catchy lyrics. Aside from this tune, basically all of the songs on 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours are genuine punk rock. It amazes me how Green Day seems to excel at every genre they attempt, whether the fast-paced style of this album, the all-out rock of American Idiot, or the soft rock layout of such songs as "Time of Your Life" or "Macy's Day Parade". I would give this album a full five star rating, for it has an expert conception of punk rock, contains great lyrics, and has some of Green Day's catchiest pieces to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rightfully Green Day's Best Album., December 1, 2004
Otto (somewhere.) - See all my reviews
Many people think of Green Day, they think Dookie, the happy tunes of "Basket Case" and "When I Come Around"...newer fans think "...don't wanna be an american idiot" as they sing along to Green Day's latest album dealing with politics and more serious issues

...2004....2002...2000...1997...1995...1994...1992.......1990.

Here we stay, this is a compilation of Green Day's pre-fame work...from albums "39/smooth" "1000 hours EP" and more and this is the best Green Day album that I have listened to.

19 songs of punk energy, I wasn't expecting this much from Green Day's first album...after owning Dookie, Insomniac and the other albums for many years, I thought "how good they could have been back then?" -QUITE GOOD.

Every song in this record is amazing, it is really hard to have just one favorite, you will wanna listen to this over and over.

Buy this album, it is worth it. Green Day's first is Green Day's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars It *does* sound better..., April 24, 2004
I'm not going to review this album again, considering I already did a couple of months back. Instead, I'll just answer the big question: is the new remastered, enhanced version really worth the purchase?
I think so.
Here are a few reasons why:
1. The enhanced CD features are really neat. You can look at old, previously unseen pictures of the band when they were young, listen to acoustic versions of "Paper Lanterns" and others that were previously only on the radio, etc.
2. New artwork. It's not much, but it's pretty cool to have.
3. The remastering. Honestly, when I first put it in my CD player, I said, "That's it?! It doesn't sound any different to me!" But then I put it in my discman... I was wrong. There's a difference. Now everything sounds louder and clearer, and like another reviewer said, it breathes new life into old songs.
Also, there is a version out there that has a free large Green Day t-shirt and sticker pack for the same price. That's the one I got, so look for it, although I don't know if it's limited edition or not.
Overall, if you don't have the original copy of 1,039/Smooth, and you want to buy it, make it this one. It's got all the extra features listed above, it sounds better, and oh yeah, it's cheaper. If you have the original, it's also worth checking out. Snoogins.

1,039 / Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
1,039 / Smoothed Out Slappy Hours by Green Day (Audio CD - 2007)