5.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book
Published on November 1, 2004 by Cicero Tully

2.0 out of 5 stars Very little variation for a '1000 Greetings'
I was disappointed with this book as the majority of cards are Christmas related and a lot of them are from the same contributers. There is some nice stuff in there but with 1000 'greetings' I had hoped for A LOT more variation and not all American but International cards.
Published on August 25, 2005 by A reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book, November 1, 2004
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
As a graphic designer, I find this book full of inspiration. When I am at a creative blank I can just refer to this book and new ideas are instantly created. Images in this book are clear and crisp, despite what the previous reviewer said, I personally find these images large enough to see how intricate and detailed the work is and how they are administered. A wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars so much fun, December 9, 2004
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book; even though as a designer I don't do much card/invitation design, the typography and graphic elements are still inspiring in my everyday work. It makes for a fun coffee table book as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very little variation for a '1000 Greetings', August 25, 2005
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars A full color collection of thumbnail images - Umm... Yay?, August 3, 2007
L. Niles (Western Maine) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
I have a lot of problems with this book.

The first being that while the designs are split into categories such as "brand identity", "invitations" and "self branding" (among others) the individual pieces have virtually no information given on their purpose or use. It would be very helpful to know standard information like the target audience or main goals attributed to the selected works shown. It isn't enough to simply lump sum all this work into a category and offer no explanation on demographics or psychographics. A directory at the end of the book lists who designed the work, but that's really all you get.

The second thing that irked me is that the pictures are very small. Each page may have half a dozen or more pieces shown but no detail shots of any. This further adds to my first complaint. The viewer can't even deduce for themselves what most of the work was intended for since the images are so small. Some of the photography is very lovely and truly works to show off the best qualities of the selected pieces but without detailed shots or full page displays the viewer is left unsatisfied.

While all the designs shown are very good, many are based off of common ideas. Lots of Pseudo-Asian, lots of decomposed and grunge. While they're attractive, they're not particularly inspiring.

Over all I think this book would do more good in the hands of a craft minded individual and not a designer. I can see many of the invitations lending themselves well to home projects and offering some inspiration for personal correspondence stationery.

An acceptable coffee table book, but not a design tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars How good design can be when the designer is the boss, April 22, 2006
Skip Savage (West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
Many of the examples in this extensive book were created for the designer's personal use, not for a client. When a designer must answer to no one, incredible creativity is often the happy result. No committees to ruin the mood, no visual illiterates to kill the design before it gets into the light of the outside world.

I actually couldn't care less that this is a collection of greetings. What is truly important is the quality of the work in this book. There's an abundance of hot ideas and beautiful executions that any graphic designer would appreciate having...as a valuable swipe file.

This could be your secret weapon. Keep it between you and me and whoever else you tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST design books EVER, March 8, 2008
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
I first saw this book at a local bookstore. Being a Graphic Design Student I've been struggling to find a decent collection of well designed promotions, to give me some inspiration. It figures that I finally discovered it the last semester of my senior year... but you know, I think that this will still be much used. This is by far one of the best design book I have seen. Typography is used in ways I never thought could be done before. Basically, it's teaching me things I've never learned in my schooling. What fascinates me most, is the way papers, text, and color come together. So, for all you Graphic Art/Design Students, or even if you are an artist of any sort and you start feeling the need for inspiration. Just open up this book, and an explosion of new ideas will fill your head. Make sure you have a sketchbook handy... :)

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is!, March 2, 2006
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
The reason a designer would buy this book is why a designer buys any book with sample designs - to give some new and fresh ideas and or get you out of a creative rut.

I don't design many invitations or correspondence, but when I have the chance to, you better believe that I use this book for referance. It can be used for referance just from a layout and typography element. Again, if your looking for a creative injection, this is a good book to own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to Grease the Creative Cogs., December 14, 2009
Joel (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
This book ranges from the simple and straight forward to the fancifully ornate. It is just what the title suggests, merely a collection. 1000 pieces on display, not discussed. So, if you're needing a case study, this isn't the book for you. But if you'd like a solid reference for your design library, then by all means, add this one. There's plenty of examples inside to spark your imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1,000 Greetings, June 1, 2008
This review is from: 1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) (Paperback)
Whether you are a seasoned design professional or an aspiring beginner, this book will challenge and encourage you forward.
Excellent idea starter. So many creative ideas that I have spent more than 25 hours reaping concepts from it's pages.
Worth many times more than it's price.

3.0 out of 5 stars For inspiration only - not a step by step how to book, September 9, 2014
Not sure I would have bought this book if I would have saw it at a book store. It does have some creative ideas in it. You will not finds step by step directions on how to make some of the designs. It is just an inspirational book. IMHO

1,000 Greetings (1000 Series)
1,000 Greetings (1000 Series) by Peter King (Paperback - April 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01