Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Orion 05662 1.25-Inch 13 Percent Transmission Moon Filter (Black)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 9, 2007
I can keep this short. The Moon Filter is a must have for viewing of the moon through a telescope. Viewing a full moon without the filter is similiar to staring directly at a bright flashlight. But with the filter you readily see the craters, mountains, and other features. It is definitely money well spent.
on November 27, 2003
This moon filter is a great way to explore the moon for beginniners! This filter can reduce the glare of the bright moon so you can explore the moon easily. But for experts I would recommend to get a Orion Poliarzing Filter (...). This is because somtimes the moon is too dark. With a poliarzing filter, you can adjust the filter from 1-40%. For beginniners, I would strongly recommened this filter, but for experts, I would get a Poliarzing filter.
on July 29, 2008
If you've dealt with Orion in the past, you expect quality optics, that are functional without being terribly overpriced. Such is the case with their moon filter as well.

You don't need this filter on smaller phases of the moon, but as the moon approaches full, and gets increasingly brighter, adding this filter will greatly enhance the views by taking the edge off the glare so the details are clearer.
on March 3, 2009
Even in my light polluted area, looking at the crescent moon in my 8" dobs is almost painful on the eyes. I can only imagine that a full moon would be downright unbearable to view.

The filter screws in very quickly after removing it from its handy hard case. Once in place, the moon is a heck of a lot easier to look at. Also, when you are done looking, its a lot easier and quicker to adjust back to the night time darkness. I found that after looking at the moon without a filter, I couldn't see a thing outside in the night for about 30 seconds. This filter certainly helps with that.
on December 21, 2011
We're new to astronomy, but I can assure you that this is a needed accessory if you plan on viewing the moon, especially at full phase. This filter lets in 13% of the light, but I can assure you, that the brightness will still astound you. Threads into any 1.25" eyepiece. Good value, as everything from Orion that I have purchased so far.
on March 23, 2015
Buy this one ONLY AFTER you know that it hurts to watch moon with your telescope.
I ordered this filter with my telescope at the same time,
and it does not hurt to watch even the full moon with my small telescope.
Quite no use for me.
Could be useful for large aperture telescope.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2009
The larger the aperture, the more light that is gathered. The moon is bright through my binoculars, but I don't need a filter. I've never used a filter in my 4.5". But my 4.5 isn't a very good scope. When I get up to my 6" I pull out the moon filter on nights when the moon is or is near full. I still do not need it most of the time. When the moon is full it makes all the difference in the world. Over 6" in aperture the filter becomes much more necessary.

So you must ask yourself, what scope are you using? How often do you want to study the full moon? For me it is worth the cost. It was so worth the cost it was the first filter I purchased. You will have to decide for yourself.
on November 19, 2015
This one looks great
review image
on May 9, 2015
If you have ever looked at even a crescent moon through a telescope, you know that it can be quite bright. Look at a full moon and it can be very uncomfortable. This is like sunglasses for your telescope. The filter is threaded onto your 1.25" telescope eyepiece, so you must have threads on the eyepiece to use it. It also increases the contrast so that the craters, mountains, and shadows can be seen clearly, all without imparting any false color to the moon. A must have even for casual telescope users.
on May 23, 2013
A nice, simple product that works exactly as advertised. Screw this onto the eyepiece of a compatible telescope and it will reduce the light that reaches your eye significantly. This is very very useful when viewing bright objects like the moon, making detail much easier to make out without the glare overwhelming the viewer.