Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2009 12:42:37 PM PST
Judy says:
So far I like the machine, but would like to know which foot you
use for the 1/4" foot. I was sent the "G" foot as the 1/4" foot,
but the book says it's the Overcast foot. I need to have perfect 1/4" seams for quilt blocks.
Thanks for your input.
Judy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2009 12:35:46 PM PDT
Mary Willis says:
Hi Judy, I just bought this machine for a beginners quilting class. Today I figured out that the J foot that comes installed on the machine is the 1/4" foot. Look at page 43 of your machine manual. Using the J foot, select stitch # 37 and line up the fabric with the right side edge of the foot to get a perfect 1/4" seam. I tried it and it worked. Very easy. Good Luck, Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2009 3:27:42 PM PDT
Judy says:
Thank you so much, Mary. How kind of you
to let me know. Now I'll be more motivated
to get back to sewing quilt blocks. I really
do appreciate your help.
Judy

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2009 6:09:34 PM PDT
Lana Fultz says:
Put your machine on #37 and it does sew a perfect 1/4 inch seam. I just use the regular foot that came with the machine. It works great! It would be nice to have a 1/4 inch foot, but it is not necessary to buy it to make it work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2009 6:58:48 AM PDT
Judy says:
Thanks so much, Lana. I really appreciate
any help in sewing that perfect 1/4"!
I'll give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2009 8:55:19 AM PDT
Mary Schmidt says:
Thanks Mary Willis.
I just bought this machine, and I thought that I was missing the 1/4" foot. It's nice to have helpful, friendly people out there.

Blessings to you!
MS MN

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2009 5:42:56 PM PDT
Thank you, thank you, thank you for telling us how to get a 1/4" seam. I have been looking and looking for that presser foot. Why in the world do they tell you there is supposed to be a separate foot for it? Anyway, I'm soooo glad for these tips here. I just got my machine today and so far I am loving it. Can't wait to start my quilt.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 5:56:42 PM PDT
Judy says:
That's right, #37 stitch is a perfect 1/4".
And if you need to stitch on the right side of the
edge, just use #38.

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 4:48:51 PM PST
B. Martin says:
Thank you for this!

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 10:01:40 AM PST
I just got this machine delievered yesterday and I love it! But when I use #37 for the 1/4 seam, I can't seem to use the backstitch feature. Anyone have suggestions?

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 9:21:07 PM PST
L. Crossa says:
I am a beginner is this the right machine for me? I want to make quilts and wall hangings, curtains etc...Need a hobby:)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2010 6:45:55 AM PST
Judy says:
I think it's a great machine for a beginner. You can sew
very slowly if you need to and then when you become more
confident there are other speeds and lots of stitches. Once
you begin, you will be hooked! Get a book from the library
and start with a little project so you don't become discouraged.
Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 4:56:05 AM PST
I'm wondering if anyone has used it for sewing clothes out of fleece? How well does it work for that? I have A LOT of fleece that I need to get sewn up and my current machine is not working well for that!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 4:57:45 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2010 4:58:18 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 5, 2010 5:42:12 AM PST
Asa Widmark says:
Seam no 37 is probably the straight stitch with a needle position (stitch width) 5,5, so to use automatic reinforcement or whatever, just use the regular straight stitch with that width!
I say "probably" because I don't actually have this machine, but another Brother where this is the case.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 7:17:29 PM PDT
J. says:
Thanks to Mary for the update! I also considered buying the 1/4 inch foot. Sure enough, on page 43 is the instruction for 1/4 inch seams using the J foot and stitch #37 for right sided edge and #38 for left. I have been a quilter for many years and I lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. This machine is a replacement and is really a little workhorse. A great machine for the basics and a little beyond! But best of all, it is light weight and easy to move around on my table which serves as a cutting and work surface also. I can lift it with one hand to move it off the table to the ladder shelves if I'm using the table for other crafts, scrapbooking, beading, etc. After 4 years, I've not had a single problem with it.

Posted on Mar 23, 2010 10:37:17 AM PDT
JC says:
Can this machine sew on denims?

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 6:12:45 PM PDT
I'd also like to know how this machine works with denims
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2010

Search Customer Discussions