3,446 Reviews
 (2,827)

5.0 out of 5 stars Got Great Results!
I did the 10-day green smoothie detox from 4/21/14 - 4/30/14, and it was a success! While I lost 10.4 pounds, my non-scale victories include
--having 0 cravings for sugar (which was my #1 goal)
--having dewier, clearer skin
--seeing the whites of my eyes become brighter
--feeling more energetic (no afternoon slump!)
--sleeping much better...
Published 9 months ago by P. Kelley

1.0 out of 5 stars 10 days gone. No pounds gone
Published 6 months ago by A

5.0 out of 5 stars Got Great Results!, May 1, 2014
P. Kelley (College Park, MD USA) - See all my reviews
--having 0 cravings for sugar (which was my #1 goal)
--having dewier, clearer skin
--seeing the whites of my eyes become brighter
--feeling more energetic (no afternoon slump!)
--sleeping much better
--having clearer sinuses.

You make 1 smoothie recipe per day and divide it into 3 meals. You need a 48-ounce blender, or you can divide the recipes in half if you have a smaller blender. JJ Smith walks you through the easy steps to help you prepare for the cleanse mentally and physically. She also gives you a shopping list for the first 5 days and the last 5 days:
--The rotating greens are spring mix, kale, and spinach.
--The rotating fruits are apples, bananas, seedless grapes, pineapple, mixed berries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and mangoes. I used frozen fruit when available, but sometimes bought fresh pineapple, strawberries, and mangoes; cut them up; and placed them in the freezer.
--An optional, but highly recommended protein powder (which I used)
--Ground flaxseeds
--Stevia (sugar replacement)

I also purchased two tall thermos to use for the lunch smoothie and the dinner smoothie. You snack on vegetables, fruits, and seeds during the day. I also ate a boiled or scrambled egg or an ounce of goat cheese whenever I needed an extra protein boost. (Goat cheese wasn't on the list of things to eat, but I added it to my personal list of options because eggs and peanut butter are items I'm unable to eat daily.)

The 1st day/night of detox was the worst (e.g., body aches, chills, exhaustion, restless sleep). I was also very tired on the 2nd and 3rd days. By the 4th and 5th days, the worst of the detox symptoms disappeared and I began to sleep much better. Days 6-10 were a breeze to get through. Although at one point I had a weird sudden craving for fried chicken smothered in gravy, which is something I've eaten what--maybe twice in my life? I don't know--I think having an unusual craving/temptation like that is perhaps another spiritual sign that the detox is indeed working.

After the detox, I transitioned to drinking 1 to 2 smoothies per day because I have a long-term weight loss goal. (UPDATE: So far, I've lost 30 pounds as of Nov. 2014.) I still have to be intentional and plan and prepare menus. The ideas in JJ's book have sparked in me a renewed focus on making my health the top priority. Thank you, JJ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Snickers Candy Bars I Rebuke You, February 3, 2014
This book has had a profound effect on me and my eating habits. Anyone that knows me knows of my love for Snickers candy bars. I was eating up to 4 candy bars a day, EVERY DAY. One of my New Year goals was to cut back on my Snickers addiction :-). If it was not for this book, I would have had the hardest time kicking my Snickers habit. The 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse is a very informative tool and resource for anyone whose goal is to replace their unhealthy eating habits for a healthier lifestyle. It gives you a everything you need to be successful. There are step-by-step instructions, a shopping list and the daily recipes to take away the guess work. So there is no excuse not to succeed.

I started the cleanse on January 20, 2014 and because of this book, I no longer eat Snickers or junk food. I lost 12.8lbs and I now crave green smoothies, salads and fruit, instead of the junk I used to eat. I will forever keep this book as a point of reference because after many failed attempts, the 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse is what WORKED. I am well on my way to living a healthier lifestyle and for that I say THANK YOU Ms. JJ Smith ((Cyber Hug)).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an awesome and very helpful book, June 29, 2014
This is an awesome and very helpful book, i've lost 15 pounds on my first 10 days of this journey I thank GOD for JJ Smith for coming up with this life changing book and i highly recommend it to everyone who what to live a healthy life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 10 stars if they let me!!, February 24, 2014
This book is amazing!! After 10 days I lost 12lbs. My hair and skin looked better. I was waking up earlier and with more energy throughout the day. I has lost all cravings for junk food. And I am an (or should say was) a junk food junkie. This book is a must have for anyone looking to jump start a healthier lifestyle. I am still doing the smoothies and I am still losing. Best $10 I have ever spent!!! And if you think I am a fake person I am the top pics on the before and after page!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a WONDERFUL book!, August 18, 2014
This review is from: 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days! (Paperback)
Fantastic book! I started last week and already see the effects on the scale! Best of all, the recipes are great for friends and family too - they're all delicious and incredibly healthy. I am a berry fanatic so the recipes in this really drove home to my sweet tooth.

Pro Tip! I freeze a lot of the smoothies with these wonderful Popsicle makers by Grazia: GRAZIA® - Set of 4 Premium Silicone Popsicle Molds, NEW Vibrant 2013 Colors, Popsicle Mold,FDA Approved & BPA Free, Make Healthy Popsicles and Smoothie Pops, Use your Imagination as to what you can Create with the Whole Family, NON STICK & Flexible and .... This way, I have wonderful frozen smoothies for myself and the kids later. If you think these recipes are ridiculously delicious - try them frozen. I rest assured that my kids are eating healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to its word!!!!, March 21, 2014
I did the 10 day cleanse and lost 12.5 lbs. My husband dropped 15.2, sisters, 17.5, 15.2 10.5 very successful!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars 10 days gone. No pounds gone, July 7, 2014
I do not understand the hype at all. Unfortunately, I didn't lose anything, except 10 days of my life to this diet - and I really needed to lose weight. I am 15 lbs over my normal weight - and I am a male in my 30s. There's absolutely no reason I shouldn't have lost weight on this based on my existing metabolism. If I just ate meat and vegetables (modified Atkins) - I could have lost far more weight in the last 10 days. But, everyone was talking so much about this that I wanted to try it. To my amazement, it did nothing except make me loose muscle tissue (not fat), but I might know why.

If you calculate the calories based on the bagged fruits & some websites that give nutritional info - the diet is well under 1200 calories a day on many of the days. I've seen this argued in the reviews, but the math isn't that hard to do. I ate eggs and nuts, but it still only gets to about 1200. Anyway, a 6'1 male should lose weight on a 1200 calorie-per-day diet without question...unless the metabolism is slowed drastically by cutting back calories this much - which this diet may be doing (to some people). Also, of the calories you do get, much of it is high glycemic like bananas, peaches, mangoes, and pineapples. I would NEVER eat those things if I wanted to loose weight, based on past experience & the literature on this. Berries are ok - but certainly not mangoes and bananas. However, all the hype around the book made me think that they turn into some kind of magic weight loss dust if you mix them with spinach and kale. Nope. It's the same ultra high sugary carb - regardless of being ground up with spinach or not. And, it's not good (again, for some people - obviously I am in the minority - but I'm not making it up). Unfortunately, some people seem to think that anyone who doesn't get the results they did must be an evil person...(hence why I already have 4 "unhelpful" review votes in a few days even though there is no comment explaining why this is so "unhelpful").

To that end, there is a bit of a cult mentality around this book, as with the master cleanse. You can see it in the arguments in the comments here & how they ban comments on their facebook "support" group. If you say anything negative on facebook (or correct any false statements in the book) people will attack you for no reason. My comment that I wasn't losing any weight was not even allowed to be posted to their group. Also, I mentioned that her arguments for cutting out meat are not based on any scientific literature or experience (if that's so true, how does Atkins work so well for so many people - including me in the past?). The author says not to eat animal protein. Then, she says you should eat eggs, but hello - eggs are "animal protein". Also, the fact she says you "get all your muscle building amino acids in fruits and vegetables" is wrong...there will never be a day you see any body builder stuffing his face with 200 grams of kale. So, posting this (factual) info with my lack of results led them to just delete it on facebook. Facts be damned. And, I didn't say it rudely. I said, I am confused about eggs vs. "animal protein" since eggs are not "dairy" as classified in the table in the book (they don't come from cows). And, dairy protein has helped me lose weight in the past many times. The American Heart association states that "Although plant proteins form a large part of the human diet, most are deficient in 1 or more essential amino acids and are therefore regarded as incomplete proteins."

I have not cheated on the diet at all. I had eggs & nuts. And, I had temporary dizzy spells & insomnia in the first few days. It went away - but the weight never did. Now, I am worried I slowed my metabolism & it is going to be 10x harder to lose weight now. (Edit: Update 7/12 - After I stopped this diet, I had more energy to work out again and I just went back to wheat free & low glycemic diet - I lost 2-3 lbs so far). Some other bizarre things that happened to me were a severe craving for alcohol (and I rarely drink) and muscle pain all over my body. These can't be "detox symptoms" because they just went away when I stopped. Now, I'm all done & I feel (and look) no different than when I started. They are symptoms of inadequate caloric intake - except the alcohol thing is a mystery. I really needed to lose some weight too - and now I am at square one...or less than that since I lost 10 days & missed events where people were eating normally. So, that's that.

The more that people mark this unhelpful & write abusive comments below this (that Amazon had to remove) - the more it makes the people on this diet look completely crazy...it's a diet book. It didn't work for me. Chill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Down about 10 pounds with loose pants!, August 20, 2014
I bought this book on an impulse buy really. I had been looking at another healthy eating cookbook, and noticed this had shot up the charts and already bumped Hillary Clinton's book off the top spot just a couple weeks after release. I don't really know why, but that fact alone grabbed my attention.

Anyhow, back to relevance, I bought the book after reading what it was about. I was less interested, or perhaps, even skeptical about the "cleanse" claims. Evenso, I found that what it was offering was much of what I was wanting to include or increase in my diet. Namely, I've been gearing towards more and more vegetables and greens in my diet as part of "Eat to Live" by a Dr. Joel Fuhrman. As such, this cleanse seemed to fit that program as well. Also I've found the logistics and time involved in eating a similarly sized salad simply takes me too long most days, especially at work.

This cleanse made a good jumping off point for me to restart both my weight loss and healthy eating goals. Some of the claims in the book I found to come true. Namely the first few days I was irritable and weak with a couple days of headaches. Additionally the first couple of days included hard cravings for all the sugary junk and "diet" sodas I was addicted to. Some other bizarre cravings came along, namely fried chicken and chinese food. The fried chicken hit me about day 7, and is out of character, as it's a rare food for me anyway, and only really eaten when someone else has set the menu.

By the 4th or 5th day I was starting to feel good, and by day 2 or 3 was no longer hungry despite the very low calories consumed.
I would say by day 8 I actually felt "good" for probably the first time in years.

In particular, I lost about 9.5lbs and tailored the program as follows.
-Used more berries (strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and mixed) to replace Mango, Pineapple, and some of the peaches, as I wanted to reduce my sugars even further and the berries are a good fit with lots of fiber.
-Ate two soft boiled eggs and a serving of raw almonds most days for added protein
-Used NOW brand flavorless pea protein to make the smoothies carry me further, and it was a good economical choice for me
-Used "Monk Fruit in the RAW" brand sweetener instead of stevia due to personal flavor preference [also non-calorie]
-Added Cinnamon and Apple Pie Spice to most smoothies for added flavor [both low/non calorie]
-Did not use bottled spring water, but "only" filtered water [your results might be better with]
-Only used Organic for the greens not all products [your results might be better with]
-Used the Mag07 stool softener [I was skeptical of this product, but definitely do not over take, try three before more to see what amount you need each night.] Disclaimer further reading may be unpleasant but feel it necessary to know what to expect: I am convinced this removed some things that had been inside for far too long. Some of the bowel movements, say about 3 or so were NOT to proportion with what I had been eating. Some of the "weight" I lost was undoubtedly this mass. Also the smell was like nothing I may have ever encountered. It was really bad. After these few heavy "movements" there was virtually no smell or massive bulk in the toilet on subsequent trips.

The book also admonishes you to step lightly back into your solid foods. The day after I had hashbrowns, 2 eggs, oatmeal, chicken and rice, but virtually or no vegetables. Nothing too out of the ordinary, or "unhealthy", certainly not a binge, but I really saw what all the carbs did to me, in just one day. I was already feeling less well. This has overall been a good experiment for me and my relationship to carbs and sugar. I was clearly an addict and so bathed in the "carbs" that like the fish in his water, couldn't see it. This cleanse really let me see that for the first time. As I've cut my carbs to mostly fruit, legumes, peas, etc. instead of the processed carbs on this program I've really felt better.

Within a few days of the cleanse I had put on about 2.5 of the pounds, but not from poor eating. I track my foods and calories and was still well under my daily goal, so you can probably expect to put a little water weight back on. That said I am still taking smoothies a couple times a day to get my greens in along with at least one healthy full meal. I think this is a path I can sustain, even after my weight is gone and stay satisfied.

If you are on several meds, or have any conditions I'd definitely run this by your doctor before you jump in, it really is a big change to how we "normally" eat. Overall, I think you'll find it positive, if you stick to it. It is "only" 10 days, making it a workable goal for anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Was Censored Because It Didn't Work For Me, March 20, 2014
A little backstory: I've been exhausted most of my life. It's not so much whether or not I'm tired, but what level of tired I am. I've always had trouble staying away from sugar and junk food. This book states that you will start to crave the smoothies and not junk food about 5-6 days into the cleanse. I've got other health issues too (IBS, allergies, and low immune system), so you can see why I thought this cleanse would be the perfect way for me to have more energy, not feel like crap most days, crave healthy food, and maybe lose a little weight. I was so extremely hopeful and I stuck to it. I messed up on Day 2 and had a total of 3 Hot Tamales but that was the extent of my mess ups. Otherwise I followed the instructions to a T. Those were my expectations: #1 Feel Great! and #2 Kick the sugar habit and #3 maybe lose a few pounds. By Day 8, I realized that #1 or #2 hadn't happened yet. Everything in the book and on the Facebook site said that by Day 5-7 you should be feeling considerably better and energized and it was making me really worried that it wouldn't work for me. I was past the withdrawal stages, but I just felt like I always had - no change besides being hungry a lot and craving solid food. Now to the IMPORTANT PART of my story and the reason this is getting 1 star. I know that these kinds of things don't always work for everyone, but on Day 8 I just wanted some encouragement and maybe someone to tell me that they were late bloomers and that maybe I just needed more time than most. I posted to the Facebook group that I was concerned that I didn't feel any better, that I was still craving regular food, and definitely not craving the smoothies. You won't believe what happened - my post got deleted and then everything I'd posted prior to that got deleted. They wiped it so clean it wasn't even on my Facebook page anymore - it was like that post had never existed. They only allow posts for people who post that it worked wonders for them. So Buyer Beware! I don't know about you, but I find it fishy that they're so concerned about their product that someone just asking for help because it doesn't seem to be working is cause for the post to be deleted. I finished the cleanse and while I sacrificed a lot to do it, it didn't work. I did lose a few pounds, but the goal of helping me with my health was woefully short.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, April 15, 2014
koffeebrown (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
You will definitely see visible results. Everyone is raving about how great I look. The recipes are easy to follow. One caveat- if you're drinking the smoothies, you will have..... ummmmmm..... INTENSE bowel movements. They can happen at any time. It is best to drink them when you know you're going to be in one place for some time so you can run to the bathroom quickly. You do NOT want to try and drink this and then get in your car for an hour and a half commute to work on a highway with no rest stops! ;-) The book is really wonderful and gives great tips. If you get it, you WILL lose the weight.

10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days!
10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days! by J.J. Smith (Paperback - July 15, 2014)
$15.99 $9.69