5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Survivalists and Campers!
Published on March 9, 2011 by SuzieCee

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically OK, but does not block light
These bags are translucent. See the picture I uploaded. Otherwise, I think this is a good option and a good deal for a beginner like me.

Published 14 months ago by David Burns

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Survivalists and Campers!, March 9, 2011
Excellent for emergency food storage, a cheaper way than purchasing prepackaged dried fruits, grains, and legumes from emergency supply stores. A hot iron on polyester to cotton setting seals your food and oxygen scavenger in the bag, which you seal only ¾'s of the way, roll to squeeze out any remaining air, then seal the rest of the opening. When stored in a cool environment such as a basement or cellar the Mylar bag conforms more to your food, like a vacuum seal. I've stored dried fruits, lentils, beans, rice, coffee... keep in mind anything with oils that can turn rancid will have a shorter self life such as peanuts and brown rice, but beans can have a shelf life of up to 10 years and more...

[...]

I still purchase Mountain House brand freeze dried meats, since I don't have the equipment to dry and store meat correctly. I agree with the comment made below that the oxygen absorbers "could" have individual wrapping to keep them fresh and from reacting with the oxygen in the environment, but to address this issue I store mine in a sealed Mylar bag! Great purchase, priceless to campers and survivalist who want to save money with "do it yourself" food storage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value great for long term food storage!, March 11, 2012
Jackie (Tahoe City, CA) - See all my reviews
These mylar bags are of high quality and have had no problem holding the food we put in them like beans, rice, pasta, quinoa, sugar, salt and dried veggies. The oxygen absorbers are also of high quality with a indicator pill included with the bunch. We opened the bag of absorbers, used about half and put the rest in a small mason jar with the pill. Initially, the pill was turning the bad color meaning that the oxygen absorbers wouldn't work but within a few hours of being in the jar the pill turned the proper color again. We did a second round a few weeks later and the same thing happened so the packets can take being exposed to the air for a very brief period as long as you store them in an airtight container. My husband and I sealed the bags together using my hair straightener... this worked extremely well! The sealing process definitely requires two people, one to hold taught and one to heat seal.
*Just a tip, we found the the more we filled the bags the more vacuum sealed they looked. The company says they don't have to looked vacuum sealed because Nitrogen can remain in the bags and seem like air but all oxygen is actually gone. I believe them but there is something more satisfying about seeing the bags looked vacuum sealed so you KNOW there is no oxygen in there!

5.0 out of 5 stars They Suck The Air Out, February 26, 2012
Excellent quality bags, strong and durable, these mylar bags hold up well when filled with dry food items like pasta, dried beans, rice, and grain. These kinds of dried goods might puncture flimsier bags made of plastic (like the popular "Food Saver" types of bags, which I also use, but mostly for meats, which I vacuum seal and freeze). The oxygen absorbers are also of a high quality and do the job well.

The oxygen absorbers actually cause a vacuum effect after they've been put into the bag with the food and sealed tightly. With time, the oxygen absorbers actually reduce the volume of air in the bag (whatever bit of air might have been left over at time of sealing. The next day, if you find a bag or two that don't have the appearance of being tightly vacuum sealed - or if they still have air in them- then it is safe to assume those bags have a faulty seal. The most common source of interference with forming a good seal on the bag is if you have trapped some flour, sugar or grain at the spot where the heat-seal was formed.

I can also confirm that the Food Saver vacuum sealer only partially works with these bags. The seal portion works fine but the vacuum will not work. The reason is, if you look at "Food Saver" plastic bags, they have a raised structure designed to allow air to pass out of them under the pressure of the vacuum machine. These mylar bags will not allow air to pass because their surface is not abraided or raised. So, when you slide the mylar into the machine, the rubber lips inside the machine will press the mylar bag shut. The vacuum will run a few seconds, but no air will escape. After those few seconds, the heat sealer will activate and form a nice seal on the mylar.

The good news, when using the Food Saver as a sealer is that if you've inserted the oxygen eater packets into the mylar bag before sealing, and if you've manually pushed out most of the air from the sack, then after it is sealed tightly, within 6 to 8 hours, the oxygen eater will do the rest of the work, and the bag will start to crush and collapse inward, somehow getting rid of the rest of the air and forming a nice, finished vacuum sealed look. Again, as mentioned above, this will only fail occasionally if - when you heat sealed the bag- you've trapped a grain of rice or other object in the seal. The seal must be smooth and free of debris in order to be effective.

If you trap some food in the seal, and the seal is ruined, you should cut the bag open, pour the contents into a new bag, and drop in a new oxygen eater and start over, being careful this time to prevent food clumps from interrupting your smooth, perfect seal. It takes a little practice if you are a first -time food packer, but usually after the 3rd or 4th attempt you'll get the hang of it just fine.

I strongly recommend you get the hand-held sealer for this. It is better than an iron, and better than the Food Saver machine. The Food Saver will do the job, but the band that heats up and makes the seal is rather narrow, sometimes making for an uncertain seal which requires that you wait until the next day to see if the seal was 100% intact. The iron method is a bit imprecise. The hand held sealer can be used instantly, makes a wider heat band- which means a wider heat seal, and of course can conveniently be used to make more than one seal if you need to. Perhaps most importantly, you can actually fill the bags higher if you are using a hand seal. The Food Saver leaves a very large, wasteful "lip" of excess material due to its design, which means you must always reduce the amount of food in each bag, in order to leave that excess flap long enough to slid into the Food Saver slot.

The bags arrived very quickly after I ordered them, and everything was intact. I'm very pleased with my order- so much so that I am ordering again. Happy prepping!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically OK, but does not block light, May 1, 2013
David Burns (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews

Long-term storage requires protection from insects, rodents, moisture, oxidation, heat, and light. Based on their initial performance, I believe these bags and oxygen absorbers will be effective against insects, moisture, and oxidation. The bags are not light proof, and no mylar bag will protect against rodents.

Because they aren't lightproof, food stored in these bags needs to be kept in a dark environment. The 5-gallon plastic pails often recommended are also not lightproof and will not protect food stored in these bags. Lining the pail with aluminum foil would exclude the light.

I am a beginner at food storage, so I bought these as a low-investment option to start with. I bought 60 bags and 60 oxygen absorbers from Advice & Beans, fulfilled by Amazon. The bags mic to 3.5 mils, and the oxygen absorbers came in 3 bags of 20 with pink indicators.

I used the first pack of 20 oxygen absorbers to bag up 50 pounds of rice and 50 pounds of pinto beans. When I managed to squeeze out most of the air before sealing, my bags tightened up as if they were vacuum packed. See the picture I uploaded. Overall, I am satisfied.

More robust bags (4.5 to 7 mil) have thicker aluminum layers that will provide total light protection and better overall performance. I will probably graduate to that kind of product now that I feel more confident in my ability to pack and seal correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything as Expected., November 17, 2011
A little trick:
I was able to use my foodsaver to suck out most of the air.

The standard foodsaver bags have one side with a textured edge to allow air to be sucked through. Since the mylar bags didn't have that, I needed to improvise.

I took a coffee stirrer, and placed that in the vacuum chamber to give something to suck the air out. After the first seal, I pinched the location of the straw, and removed it. The bags stayed vacuumed. I then sealed it again (twice actually) to ensure it's airtight.

This makes nicely packed bricks of pasta, rice, beans, ETC.

Bags are strong, and good quality. I dropped one of the packed bricks on the ground, and the bag kept its seal, with no punctures.

Very satisfied, and will be ordering again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, November 30, 2011
These bags are very convenient, easy to seal with just a clothes iron, and durable. The only complaint I had was
that the oxy absorbers were a little on the old side; leaning more to a purple color. They should be blue when you get them; if they're pink they no longer work. But as mine weren't yet pink, I used them up quickly and they worked fine. These bags are great for diy long term food storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea, August 3, 2011
I filled the Mylar Bags with flour and sugar for my food storage system. Zip-Lock seems like such a good idea compared to the ones you have to melt closed --- faster and resealable. What a good idea and worth the extra price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 26, 2010
I used these bags and oxygen absorbers for storing rice. Something Amszing happened the day after i sealed them(I did not use a vaccum sealer)I used a Grizzly 16 inch sealer. The oxygen absorbers were so strong they vaccum sealed the bags. You do not need to believe me but it is true. This item is better than i hoped for!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Quality, January 11, 2013
Shannon (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
I don't normally complain about products. Simply said....I do not like these Mylar bags. They are way to thin and puncture very easily. I will not order these again. My own fault for not knowing you should use 5 mil thick or higher for LTFS. (long term food storage) These bags are only 3.5. Don't know what I will use the rest of them for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long term food storage, January 4, 2011
I plan on ordering this product again, so that should tell you something. The reason for giving it 4 stars is that I would have preferred that each oxygen absorber was individually sealed.

Rate and Discover Movies