Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

VINE VOICEon August 5, 2008
My EEE PC 1000 40G just arrived today. In the past hour I've managed to unbox it, plug it in and power it up, connect it to a secure WiFi access point, create a Google document, sync all my Firefox bookmarks from my other computer, and log into a secure system at work - and this is the first time I've ever used Linux (though computers are my day job.)

I was worried the 1000 would be too much larger and heavier than the original 700 model, but the difference is barely noticeable. What I DO notice is how much easier it is to type on the 1000's keyboard, and how pleasant it is to be able to view a typical 1024 pixel wide Web page without having to scroll sideways to see all of it.

It's going to be very easy to get used to how much quicker this boots than other computers I use.

Perhaps I'll add more later, but since no one else has reviewed this at all yet, I figured knowing a bit about it would be better than just wondering. So far, I'm extremely pleased. No regrets at all.

Update 8/20/08: Still no regrets, but one problem I'm still having is worth noting: two automatic updates are failing to install. On checking with Asus tech support via Email, I was advised to fix that by updating the BIOS (currently version 0602), but there is no updated BIOS for the 1000/Linux offered yet as of today on the Asus download site. Humorously, another Asus tech suggested using the automatic update to get the BIOS update, even though that failing was the originally-reported problem. If waiting for such early adopter glitches to be worked out bothers you, the 1000H model with Windows XP now has an updated version 1005 BIOS available.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 26, 2009
Note: Please see final Update (July 12, 2010) below.

Original review:

This computer ASUS Eee PC 1000 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB Solid State Drive, Linux, 6 Cell Battery) Pearl White would be relatively few peoples' choice as a primary computer. It does not have the power to accomplish processor-intensive tasks such as audio or video editing, photo manipulation, or other such tasks. Nor does it even have a built-in CD, much less a DVD, drive to play those media devices. (They can be played via an external drive should the owner desire to do so.)

However, for use when traveling, or at home, for simple web-surfing or e-mail communications, and/or for those for whom the included simple capabilities are sufficient, it is a superb piece of engineering, available at a VERY economical price. If your requirements are few, it COULD be your primary or only computer but, in any case, it makes for a superb - and I do mean SUPERB - travel companion.

That is its primary purpose.

Having researched this relatively new laptop/notebook category ("netbooks") for the past few months, I determined that this particular netbook is the best one currently available, offering the best performance, the best features, the best compromise in size and weight, and, far and away, the best value for money.

This new category has seen its sales skyrocket in the one year that it has been available and it is predicted that sales will greatly increase (even though sales of other computer categories are falling, due to the current economic conditions).

This is apparently due to the fact that a great many people find that a so-called "smart phone" is just not adequate for staying in touch, reading news (or e-mail), or surfing the web. Something larger, though still inexpensive and easily transportable, is required. "Ultra-portables" have been around for quite a while but, priced in the $1000.00 - $3000.00 range (more or less), they are not affordable or practical for most people. Hence, this new "netbook" category was introduced late in 2007. The AsusTeK company was in fact the originator of this class.

I received mine from Amazon on January 20, 2009 and I have been using it since. Now let me tell you that both my wife and I have been using Ubuntu Linux on our respective main computers since May of last year (we both completely gave up on that disaster known as Windows Vista!) so I have some familiarity with Linux. But I was not prepared for this version, evidently a modified Xandros version of Linux. It is so simple to operate (and so stable), that it is almost "scary!" There is just no way to make something complicated out of this simple system! Those people who are familiar only with Microsoft Windows (or even Mac) will be positively amazed as to how simple, easy and, above all, INTUITIVE the operation of a computer can be made to be! This operating system is an ideal way for someone to get into the "computer age" and also to become comfortable with using Linux.

(You really have to wonder: with all of their large, highly-paid, engineering and design staffs, why can't Microsoft or even Apple design a computer operating system which is truly simple for anyone to use?)

I shall flatly state that ANYBODY who is able to read this review will be able to use this particular computer and its Linux operating system, even someone who has no experience whatsoever with operating a computer. There will be NO "computer classes" necessary! (It comes with a printed Software User's Manual which has instructions such as this: "WEBCAM - Click Webcam and start video recording or image capture. Activates Webcam.") Believe me, no instruction manual is necessary at all. This is TRULY the computer "designed by geniuses for use by idiots" (and I include myself among the latter).

If you are familiar only with Windows (or Mac), at first glance the operating system will appear VERY strange to you. But take my word for it: within a day at most you'll be wondering why you ever put up with all of Microsoft's foibles!

Even my wife, who generally has to be shown how to use something new (and who doesn't really like "new" things or "changes") had absolutely NO difficulty at all operating this computer. Without any instructions from me, she reacted, on her first exposure to it, as a duck does to water the first time it goes in! (I had told her that she would have absolutely no problem with this "new" operating system. She did not believe me at first. But when she actually used the computer, she had to agree that I was right!)

A helpful printed Hardware User's Manual, helpful in that it assists you to quickly get familiar with the computer's switches, lights, and connections, is also included. I do recommend reading this.

The computer comes compete with its restore disks as well. These disks are often omitted with lower-priced notebook computers yet can really prove invaluable. (To use them, you would need an external drive as mentioned above.)

The Linux "user interface" is six different "desktops" named, respectively, "Favorites," "Internet," "Work," "Learn," "Play," and "Settings." Each one contains items on which you will click. Several have sub-menus containing other items. (For example, clicking on Web Mail brings up some sub-menus allowing you to choose your web mail service, Gmail, Yahoo!, Hotmail, and AOL.)

You can select your "Favorites" by using the "Customize" icon within "Settings" and then you would only rarely need to even navigate to the other desktops.

"Web" activates Firefox 3.0. "Music Master" (which is really Amarok, a fabulous music player [it can be used with Windows, Linux, or Mac and I highly recommend it]) is available as are icons for "Web Mail." "Documents" brings up Star Office (similar to Open Office and also by Sun Microsystems), should you wish to prepare a document, and there are more items than there is space here to mention just waiting for you to use. Nor is mentioning them in a review necessary; when you see them, they are totally self-explanatory. It even offers built-in Skype computer telephone service!

Connecting to the internet is a breeze either wired or wireless. The wireless connection procedure is so simple and obvious that a child could accomplish it. (We use Verizon Wireless but I'm certain that wireless connection would be easy regardless of the ISP.) A wired connection is simply connecting your computer to your DSL/cable modem. With a wired connection, you're on the internet instantly! (I tried it myself just to see.)

There are those on this site who, in their reviews of this computer and its operating system, have characterized the included Linux system as "a joke" or even worse. Take my word for it - FOR THE PURPOSES FOR WHICH THIS COMPUTER WAS DESIGNED THIS LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM IS DEFINITELY NOT "A JOKE," at least in my opinion! Being so simple to operate, this operating system is all anyone will ever need on a travel or second computer. (When traveling, you just want your computer to function properly AND simply, without having to worry about its operation, security, functionality, etc.)

If a particular person wishes to replace this Linux version, fine, that's their business, but I think that, overall, they will NOT be improving the overall usefulness of this computer when on vacation or travel. (The minimal, though battery-friendly, processor is the limiting factor, not the operating system.)

Frankly, though I much prefer Ubuntu Linux for its almost limitless capabilities (and its extreme security) used on a "main" or "primary" computer, when I'm on vacation or visiting friends, I am not interested in performing esoteric computer tasks; I merely wish to, 1) get my e-mail, 2) surf the web a bit, and, 3) listen to internet radio. We often show people some of our pictures which we keep on our computers.

But that's about it so I personally have no intention of replacing this simple Xandros Linux operating system. It accomplishes all that I require of a travel computer and there is no sense, in my opinion, to try to "convert" this computer to allow it to perform tasks which may be beyond the capabilities of the Intel Atom processor included.

This relatively new processor is designed to use very little power (thus maximizing battery life) and to accomplish simple tasks.

It does this very well indeed and I think that the computer should be accepted for what it is - a good TRAVEL/SECOND computer.

At least that's the reason for which I bought mine!

Is that the reason YOU are considering this computer?

If so, I believe this one, as configured here, is the best current choice.

Others' opinions will vary, naturally. As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, I do not believe that this small netbook computer has the power to be most peoples' primary computer. That, of course, includes upper elementary, high school, and college students. If you want a more capable computer, it is my opinion that you should buy one of those ultra-portables - which are far higher in price ($1000.00+) and, possibly, in weight and size as well as in capabilities - rather than one of these simple small netbooks.

This little computer accomplishes all of the basic tasks I listed above simply and reliably. I think that is all most people need when traveling or visiting. (Your main computer can be left at your home.) As with all Linux operating systems, it is inherently secure from viruses, trojans, spy- and other malicious software so you can be quite confident that your computer won't be damaged or compromised if you are using a public or hotel internet access point.

Mentioning the word "little" - it most certainly is that and, though it's claimed to weigh about 3 pounds (including battery and AC power supply), I have to tell you that this is the LIGHTEST 3 pounds I have ever "hefted!" It seems to weigh nothing at all! The 10" screen is a great compromise between TOO small (with a grossly undersized keyboard and reading difficulties on the sceen) and TOO large (with weight and battery-life concerns). I think that this size is just about perfect for travel.

I bought mine in white; I had read that the black version shows fingerprints. I do not know if this is, in fact, true (I assume that it is, however) but I can tell you that the white version does not shown them inordinately. (Plus, for those who take such things into consideration, the white version looks like a "miniature Mac.") The computer even comes with its own soft carrying case (black) which holds the computer, the battery, and the AC power supply and maybe one or two other small items. I only wish that either the computer itself or the case had a handle. I do not understand why portable computer manufacturers do not include this simple adjunct which would make carrying these things so much more pleasant. (Amazon does sell, at additional cost of course, Asus EEE PC 1000 / 1000H 10" Premium Memory Foam Pouch Case - (Black) which does appear to have a handle.)

At Amazon's current price ($386.99), this computer is, in my opinion, irresistible. Their service was, as always, what service ought always to be but rarely is nowadays - superb.

There are a few things that I have discovered by going to the Eee PC forums; the main one I will mention here is that should an owner wish to use the Synaptic Package Manager (which is the primary way of adding new programs to a Linux computer), with this operating system you press <CTRL-ALT-T> together; this brings up the Terminal. Then you merely type "sudo Synaptic" (without the quotation marks) and the Synaptic Package Manager appears. This is, so far, the only "cryptic" control that I have found that I wanted.

And, for most users, using even this "cryptic" control will be totally unnecessary, in my opinion. For use as a second or travel computer, this one is complete right out of the box.

The keyboard is satisfactory to me though I will admit that I am a subscriber to the "Hunt & Peck" method of typing. (I have found, over the last week, that I myself never use the right shift key, the positioning of which has been noted by some users.) The display is a thing of joy, presenting most beautiful images which are easy on the eyes. Reading documents is a pleasure.

The machine is very quiet; there is no hard drive noise at all as the drive is solid-state. However, you will hear the internal cooling fan. This is not obtrusive.

Some people have indicated that they prefer a traditional hard drive as opposed to the solid-state one here and in other netbooks. On first glance, at least one of their reasons appears to be valid: traditional hard drives are much larger in capacity than the currently-available solid-state drives. (But see below for more thoughts on this matter.)

However, I think it is important to take into consideration the main advantage of a solid-state drive IN A TRAVEL COMPUTER - its robustness. Traditional hard drives are rather delicate and can be easily damaged or destroyed, especially when jostled around on a trip. (Unfortunately, there are many users who can attest to that fact!)

A solid-state drive can survive jostling, bumps, drops, and other injuries which can easily occur on a trip. For this reason alone I think that, with regard to TRAVEL COMPUTERS, solid-state is the way to go. (But please do not think that I am advocating using this computer as a Frisbee! Please give it the care it deserves - the best care of which you are capable.)

Asus offers a solid-state drive for this model both in its Linux AND its Windows versions. But --- due to Microsoft's pricing and Asus' desire to keep the retail price the same for both versions, the Windows version comes with only a 16 GB (total) SSD while the Linux version comes with a 40 GB (total) SSD.

In my opinion, again, the choice of versions should really be a "no-brainer." (And that's not even considering that the Windows version comes with all of Windows vulnerabilities and problems and the Linux version comes with none!)

Build quality appears to be exemplary. Battery life is everything they said about it. I used it on battery for over five straight hours and there was still plenty of juice left. If you wish to play a CD, MP3 disc, or DVD, as mentioned above, you will have to attach an external drive. There are three USB 2.0 ports so you can easily attach one of these or an external USB-powered hard drive (or thumb drive) for accessing more data. The solid-state hard drive is 40 GB in size, thus far the largest solid-state one I have seen on a netbook. With the addition of a small portable USB-powered external hard drive, now extremely inexpensive (check Amazon's prices), you can take along as much data as you require. (An advantage to this is that the data resides on that external hard drive, not your computer; you can hide the external drive or carry it with you always and, even if a thief stole your computer, he/she would not have your important data. Also, if some accident were to happen to your external drive, it is, as mentioned, inexpensive, Replacing one of these is FAR less expensive than replacing a computer.) There is even Bluetooth (short-range wireless communication) included for those who use it.

It barely gets warm in use; I had it on my lap for those five hours on battery and did not feel any excess heat at all. Thus, no "laptop cooler" device is necessary. (Naturally the instructions warn against using it on your lap - as do all "laptop" manufacturers - but I had no problem at all with heat.)

Regarding listening to internet radio with this computer: though its internal speakers are surprisingly good (better, in my opinion, than those in my 15.4" Acer Extensa computer), I suggest buying a good set of very small, but good quality, portable amplified computer speakers and plug them into the headphone jack. I use Sonic Impact 5009G Gen3 Portable Speakers which I like VERY much - but this model appear to be discontinued. In any case, the current price, from one of Amazon's "partners," is totally out of line. The original list price was $19.95 for these speakers. (The Sonic Impact Portable Speakers Gen 1.5, unfortunately not available through Amazon, are also superb in performance as well as being lightweight, small, foldable, inexpensive, and easily transportable; I own a pair of that model as well and they can be had for less than $20.00.)

And by the way - if you are familiar with listening to internet radio only via the Windows operating system, you are doubtless aware of the extreme annoyances you face each time you try to listen - sudden stopping and starting of the program, "buffering," "congestion," loss of station, etc., etc., etc. Let me tell you that NONE of this occurs with either of the two Linux versions I use. With both Ubuntu on our main computers and the Xandros system on this netbook, the music (or whatever) just plays - and plays, and plays, and plays. Rarely there might be a very brief "hiccup" (perhaps a split second) but that's relatively rare. Windows, at least in my experience, is such a "memory hog" that the slightest little change in background usage causes loss of your internet radio station. This is a major annoyance, to say the least, and really spoils the listening pleasure. This sort of thing just does not occur with Linux, at least in my experience.

Thus, listening to internet radio stations (and there are many, many thousands of them from all over the world - all free of charge) via this little netbook is a genuine joy and can be a major adjunct to the enjoyment of, for example, spending the evening in a hotel room.

I must mention, however, that, depending on the station(s) to which you wish to listen, you MAY have to reconfigure Mozilla Firefox (under Edit->Preferences->Applications). You may have to change some of the "Content Type" associations. I changed MOST of them - not all of them, of course - to "Amarok." (You must "Browse" for that.) This is a problem that exists with Mozilla Firefox regardless of the operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux) you are using. (Whoever said that computers are ALWAYS easy and fun? Sometimes, regardless of the system, they can be downright aggravating!) I believe this difficulty also occurs with Internet Explorer as well as other browsers.

That said, however, for the purposes for which it was designed, e-mail, web-surfing, listening to internet radio and other music, creating and reading simple documents, and viewing photographs, I do not think anyone will find a travel/transportable computer superior to this ASUS Eee PC 1000 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB Solid State Drive, Linux, 6 Cell Battery) Pearl White at the present time, especially in its Linux version.

And you won't find a better price for it than at Amazon. Plus, if you buy from them, you'll receive Amazon's usual superb service.

I highly recommend this computer.

Update - February 2, 2009:

This morning I read Ms. Nancy Baiter's "1-Star" ("wireless doesn't work") review of February 1, 2009 (in which she says that she could not connect to a public wireless point and access the internet) with a great deal of interest and trepidation and I admit I was very concerned.

Taking this computer on trips and connecting to the internet via various public and hotel hot-spots was the primary reason I bought it!

Being as apprehensive and concerned as I was, I walked over to our public library (a ten-minute walk from our home) and attempted to connect to its free public (unencrypted) wireless access point.

I was "on" in about twenty seconds and I am, in fact, typing this update at the library and it will be published via their Wi-Fi access point.

I have no doubt that Ms. Baiter encountered some problem but I suspect that it was something that she did herself. As for J&R Music World's technicians being unable to help her, I further suspect that the reason for this was their unfamiliarity with Linux in general and with this computer in particular.

In any event, my concerns have been allayed and I can confidently tell anyone reading this that they need not worry at all about connecting to public wireless hot-spots (or any other wired or wireless network access point).

In my own experience, the process is both quick and easy. You merely wait a few seconds until the balloon message at the bottom of the screen shows that internet connections are in range; you then click on the balloon and all the possible connections will appear. You merely click on your desired connection. If it is unencrypted, as at our library, you are connected immediately. If it is encrypted, you must, naturally, enter the password for which you will be asked (and which hotels will supply to guests).

This just couldn't be easier!

P.S. I see that Amazon has lowered its price again for this computer, at least in its "white" version.

Update - February 10, 2009

On occasion I need to use a dial-up internet connection. This computer does not have any internal means for connecting in that manner.

The solution? This USRobotics USR5637 56K USB FaxModem for Windows, Mac, Linux which, contrary to at least one of the reviews, does indeed work perfectly with this ASUS Eee PC 1000 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB Solid State Drive, 20 GB E-Storage, Linux, 6 Cell Battery) Pearl White. I received mine yesterday from Amazon.

NO drivers or other installation is necessary; as soon as one end of the cord is plugged into a telephone jack and the other end is plugged into a USB port on your computer, the modem is active and running. This is easier than installing it with either Windows or Mac.

But you WILL need to use your brain in order to get it to connect to the internet the first time.

The difficulty is in figuring out how to actually access the modem. The process is not an intuitive one; to use the vernacular, it ain't easy! (The instructions on the included CD-ROM are of no help at all.) But once you have figured out what to do (it took me maybe fifteen minutes of head scratching), and once you have entered your necessary dial-up account information (telephone number, user name, and password), connecting is a breeze and will remain that way.

The modem is also very small and easy to carry. It is even white in color and matches this particular computer.

I highly recommend this external modem as well as this computer for those who always or even just occasionally need to use a dial-up internet connection.

[Please see my review of this modem for complete Setup Instructions for computers running the Ubuntu Linux operating system.]

Update - March 19, 2009:

I have now owned this computer for two months now and I am very pleased with it.

I am not, however, pleased with the AsusTEK Computer Inc. Company's service.

I had noticed that, on my Asus netbook, Mozilla Firefox was not being updated; in other words, the version on my computer was the 3.0.4 version which was shipped to me.

Obviously I wanted to update Firefox to the latest version, currently 3.0.7.

I did some research (perhaps not thorough enough) on the EEE PC group but, though I found plenty of discussions about Firefox, I couldn't find, in my admittedly not thorough search, the answer to my problem.

Thus, I telephoned Asus' tech support telephone line. I spoke with two representatives, neither of whom were of any help.

The second representative did give me an email address to contact Asus in Taiwan and I wrote to it. After two weeks, I finally got it into my head that I was not going to receive a reply.

So I then went on Asus' site and, after some digging, found their "Contact Us" section, filled out their forms, described my desire to update Firefox in their message box, and sent the message.

The next day I received an automated acknowledgment of receipt; this email stated that my problem would be addressed and the answer would be sent to me in 48 hours.

That was a week ago.

So, today, I "Googled" < update firefox eee pc > and, among the many links offered, I found one which had the answer.

The process is actually quite simple -- ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!

For anyone reading this who wishes to update Mozilla Firefox on their Eee PC 1000 (Linux), here is how to do it:

1. Turn on your Eee PC and make sure that your internet connection is active.

2. Type the three keys < CTRL plus ALT plus T > all at once. This will bring up the "Terminal."

3. In the Terminal, type < sudo firefox > (just the words, not the brackets).

4. This will bring up Mozilla Firefox and, if you've customized your version in any way, you will notice that this one looks different; it is the default Firefox.

5. Go to "Help" and click on "Check for Updates" (which is normally grayed out in the Firefox you usually use). This update link is fully functional in the version brought up by the Terminal.

6. Firefox will then check for updates and, if it finds any, it will ask you if you wish to download and install them. Of course you do!

7. It will also check to see if Add-ons are compatible. When the process is complete, CLOSE this version of Firefox and THEN also close the Terminal.

8. At that point, click on "Web" to start your normal version of Firefox. This too will check for compatibility of your Add-ons. When the process is complete and Firefox is up and running, if you go into the "Help" section and click on "About Mozilla Firefox," you will see that you now have the latest version.

That's all there is to it!

Frankly, I do not know why SOMEBODY at AsusTEK couldn't have told me this; I also do not understand why Firefox cannot be updated by Asus itself (in the manner of Ubuntu which DOES automatically include Firefox updates in its service).

In any event, this was really the only concern I had had during my two months of ownership of this computer and now it has been addressed.

Thank goodness for Google! I recommend that, if ANYONE has any sort of problem with this or any other computer, "Google" the problem. I'll bet you'll find the answer!

So I continue to highly recommend this computer; it and its Linux operating system remain the best "travel computer" of which I am aware. Just do not think you can rely on AsusTEK for help; the "community" and "Google" is where you go for that!

By the way, if anyone unfamiliar with Mozilla Firefox is interested, here are the Add-ons I currently use:

1. Adblock Plus
2. Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper
3. BugMeNot
4. DownloadHelper (Video DownloadHelper)
5. Flagfox
6. Ghostery
7. Locationbar²
8. OptimizeGoogle

Many other people use many other Add-ons but I have found these to be very useful and all I need on my ASUS Eee PC 1000 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB Solid State Drive, 20 GB Eee Storage, Linux, 6 Cell Battery) Pearl White.

Update - March 24, 2009:

I just received this Crucial 2GB 667 Mhz CT25664AC667 DDR2 200-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory and installed it in my Eee PC. If you go to the product page, you will find my 5-star review of it.

To make a long story short (not usually my forte!), this card is superb. It makes for an excellent and VERY inexpensive upgrade, especially if you buy it from Amazon, whose prices and service I find consistently to be exemplary. It will allow your Eee PC to work at the maximum speed of which it is capable.

Obviously, I highly recommend this upgrade.

Update - August 11, 2009

We just got back from Rome, N.Y. where we stayed at the EconoLodge on Erie Street. The first night there I turned on this computer and was "on" the internet in just a few seconds. There was no problem at all (except for the fact that the EconoLodge has a slow internet service).

As far as I am concerned, there is no problem whatsoever in establishing an internet connection with this computer.

However, the current price of over $700.00 is outrageous. I would not recommend anyone paying that much money for this computer.

Update - July 12, 2010

As Asus' unique (modified-Xandros) Linux operating system is no longer being supported, I have converted my EeePC 1000/Linux to the Ubuntu operating system (10.04 'Lucid Lynx'). I installed the standard Ubuntu as I do not care for the Netbook Remix version (but you may feel differently). The installation went smoothly and the computer works perfectly - and is, in fact, MUCH faster than it was before!

If you have an opportunity to buy one of these computers 'used' at a reasonable price (perhaps through an Amazon seller), I recommend it. It is robust (especially considering that it comes with a solid-state hard drive), lightweight, and easy to use. The Ubuntu operating system has breathed new life into this computer and I shall continue to use it; I believe it will last for a very long time.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2008
I have had my eee for about a month now and really love it. The screen looks absolutely great. Native resolution is 1024x600, which is more than adequate for most stuff. The built in speakers are also surprisingly good. MP4 movies and MP3s play and sound great on this little guy. The keyboard is a reasonable size and very workable compared to the earlier versions of the eee. Network connectivity is good. It seems to connect to most Wifi hotspots very well. Although, it is slow making the initial connection. The power brick is also very lightweight which is a nice surprise. It comes with 1 Gig of Ram which should be more than adequate for most people. I upgraded to 2 gig with no issues. Also, the hard drive is solid state, no moving parts.

The OS uses Xandros Linux which is a Debian variant. The User Interface is not customizable unless you know a little bit about Linux or are willing to learn. If you do know a little about Linux, its pretty easy to tweak. All the tools you need for a traveling NetBook are there. Firefox 2.x, Thunderbird 2.x, Skype, Open Office 2.x, Terminal/Shell, File Manager, a media player (MP4 movies play great), and MP3 Player. The MP3 player has a funky UI, but it works with my iTunes library just fine. I just had to copy the files over and put them in the eee's music folder.

Only a few negatives that I have run across. The fan seems to run a lot which is kind of odd since it has a solid state drive. The right shift key is very small and on the wrong side of the arrow key. This messes up touch typists. Inserting or removing USB devices while the NetBook is on may cause it to lock up. It works find with USB Drives and Mice as long as they are connected with the machine powered off.

If you want a nice travel NetBook for light duty work, some e-mails, some blogging, a little surfing, movies and MP3s, this machine is great. And its only $1200 less than a MacBook Air.
on August 27, 2008
If you are looking at buying a eeePC 900 or 1000 series there are some things you should be aware of as of Aug 27,2008. I'm reviewing the 1000 but there are some common issues that relate to a 900 series as well. I'm writing about the Linux models so Windows may vary.

Amazon has some good screenshots of the desktop to give you an idea of what you get right out of the box. Take a good look to see if it's enough for you to work with because there are issues making it hard for some users to expand beyond them on the Linux models.

Immediately upon boot up you'll start to see an icon saying there is an update available, in fact there are several but the main one of concern is the Asus System update. When you go and process it the update is rendered as broken and in the work area the file manager disapears. Now one would think something like this would have been fixed but in fact it hasn't and the error relating to this file lies in the repository (where linux gets new files and programs if you aren't familiar with it).

Hence the problem is at the Asus eee PC site not on the device itself. I got mine about 3 days ago but apparently this has now been the case for a couple months. I would point out this seems to be true at least on the English language versions, not sure about the Chinese and there seems to be a CN version of most things out of the box. If you are fluent you might want to look at those support/discussion sites to check if it's a universal issue or just say North American/UK.

So without this you can't update, add new programs, or fix bugs in the software essentially. You can still update the installed programs like the antivirus but one of the main draws for many people in having linux is the 20,000 or so open source programs. It is possible to use a command line to install but the programs still won't show up in the graphical menu tabs. So you should be familiar with command line to run those programs as well as some that are actually there but don't show up.

An important element of Linux is it's command line functions and the Graphical User Interface (GUI) of the eee PC does not provide you with access one via an icon. You will need to hit CTRL-ALT-T and then you are presented with one that lacks a menu bar or any of the things your favorite interface has if you are a Linux user. You can type say Konsole and get the K desktop interface because KDE is there but then you will have two windows, and should you close that first one you lose the second one. The same will be true of each program called this way, and the command window is in use until you close the called program so you need a window for each. Hence the big deal about them failing to fix the add/remove feature.

That said there is an advanced desktop, but again it is no longer easily accessible for beginners or possibly intermediate computer and linux users. You have to circumvent it via command line and changing the code. Of course I'd rather do it on this units hard drive because if a mistake is made it doesn't take very long to reinstall.

The reason I say be aware as opposed to beware is the unit is still very useful, in fact I'm writing this on one. It's a solidly built unit that serves the main purpose I bought it. I am a photographer and I also got it a matching black usb powered hard drive. In field testing I was impressed with the speed from SD cards to the USB drive or the SSD and the smallest cards I use are around 2GB. An issue with this does come up in viewing raw files, it does not include the capability to view this so command line is needed. Again GIMP is there (the linux Photoshop equivalent) but it's not available except by command line out of the box though ironically it is listed as an external app by the viewer (attempts to call it as an editor failed on this machine). If you shoot in JPG or want to use it to present portfolio work to clients it's fine.

The keyboard is not bad compared to some minis I've seen but might take some getting used to. The trackpad is responsive but you will need to watch your text most likely as bumps to it and hitting the up arrow key will often put you up and having you erasing a few keystrokes and moving backdown. For extensive writing I'd recommend just plugging a larger keyboard into one of the USB slots. I've noted no lags in the typing speed while playing music and typing even with several windows open. Though as noted below music playback requires a certain technique to avoid hitches.

With a larger keyboard you really could write really write all your term papers or other documents on it as the screen is quite sharp. I haven't done a lot of outside typing but I'd imagine it would work well there as well, though as always with LCDs on cameras or whatever if they seem a bit dark and you were glasses it may be the photograde (more common to digicams but I've heard of larger screen coatings doing it now and then).

It plays music though again codecs may be an issue with some lossless formats, but MP3s work. You'll find when web surfing the playback hitches when you use an arrow key on the keyboard or in the bar on the screen. In fact it will often pause the player until you let up on the arrow. This is likely hardware based and is remedied if you use the page up page down function instead which is achieved with the FN key on the keypad or by clicking on the spaces surrounding the movement bar on the screen (or by dragging it). The same issues will face you if you prefer another player like Rythmbox, in that even if installed it requires a command line to start out of the box. I also just inserted a music CD in the drive I have attached and it play just as well as files on the SSD but the default player failed to pull in track info like you might expect. Also of note if the music or sound you are playing sounds muffled it's due to the speakers being on the bottom. Prop up an edge and it should be notably louder, also check both the player the sound settings in the settings tab as neither are "cranked" when you first get it.

It uses an Mplayer shell to play video and did well with the X-Files from disc and avi when I tested it so normal DVD and DIVX should not be an issue as it seems to have adequate codec coverage. I haven't tested it I would not expect Bluray to work necessarily but in time if they do correct the primary issue with updates, downloads, and install and remove I would expect it might.

For my purposes the office suite is fine and it all runs fine including the Thunderbird mail client. I have about 7 computers used for graphics and I generally prefer Claws but TB works fine especially out in the field at a hotspot. It may be worth noting that there are no p2p, ftp, http editors in the default setup. To have a GUI access to these you have to do the hacks or go commando line.

In order to get around the problems you will have to hunt down hacks on the web. This probably won't be that daunting to most linux users but there are a lot of posts out there from beginners who find it all a bit confusing so be aware. It's a cheap enough line of products though that there are a lot of folks in the linux community drawn to it. Thats general how support is down in linux anyways unless you buy a corp contract such as Red Hat or Ubuntu but I don't think you'd get far with those here :)

I can only speculate what is going on with Asus, I've never had a problem like this with them before because frankly their stuff usually works. I'd speculate that they are outsourcing the support in North America for example and that there is a disconnect of some sort causing the delay of months in fixing things. That's just speculation though and people are reporting reps telling them to just return it and hanging up insisting there is no issue with downloads. Make no mistake if you are told this, there is and it is widespread. It'll be fixed in time, there are already people working on a port of Ubuntu, but when I did a clean install of it to take a look earlier neither the wifi nor the ethernet (oddly) networking worked. That's no doubt something addressable via command line but keep in mind your references are limited with no networking. Of course it's only a matter of minutes to swap back, the SSD is really rather fast.

So should you get one of these or look elsewhere what's the final verdict? Well I'd point out at least with the Asus you get restore disks for Windows and Linux. So even if you opt to go the safe route with Windows initially it's not really that hard to switch to Linux and "free software" later on. Not sure about some of the others so take a good look if a mini-PC comes in both flavors or not. I've noted that the networking and hardware works well on these it's a software issue. That's important because it means software drivers exist that are linux native. An issue for a lot of people starting with linux is trying to get things like wifi to work right especially the cutting edge ones, in this case N or perhaps Bluray. Even if you go Windows at first you will be able to get drivers made for the eee PC so long as the internet is around. Using the recovery media will let you swap OS pretty fast and I'd be surprised if the hdd models are near as fast.

So I'd say yes it's a buy. If Asus takes too long I'd wager the linux community will take over make the necessary forks and ports and Asus will ultimately lose control of the OS aspect. If you fail to fix something people will just open the box and replace the broken software you know?

I'm going to completely hack it but time is the issue. It actually works well enough that I've put it off and slated it for the labor day weekend here in the U.S.

I wouldn't be surprised if in time we see more distros with a fork that works on these particularly the like of DSL or Puppy linux and other small distros who knows maybe even Slackware that would be cool. But then I got started on DOS and ARPANET so the command line thing works for me :)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2008
Day 2 into my Eee PC 1000...WOW this little PC rocks. I installed Ubuntu for eee and I'm so happy with it. [...] It does everything I need it to do and more. It is a little slower with the solid state hard drive, but that's what I got it for. I wanted a computer that would be more mobile without the worry of crashing my hard drive. I'm very new to Linux as well and it has been a great experience. Easy to install, update, and install new features. Surfing the net is so easy and smooth. It fits anywhere too which is a plus.
on September 19, 2008
For me this laptop was an alternative to purchasing another expensive Macintosh and avoiding a dreaded purchase of a Windows PC.

In the end I chose this laptop for long days at school and as a pair to my desktop.
Great for email, internet, and typing drafts/papers on the go..

Linux and Mac OS are both Unix software based, so I feel that I got a great-looking, high quality, light-weight laptop comparable to a Mac Air for a lot less on the ticket price!!!

Why the comparison?
Roughly the Mac Air and the Asus EEE PC are 2 lbs.
They both have flash drives..
Mm..and they both have attractive shells..

The final decision was that this laptop runs on a flash drive, not a clunky disk drive, and as such I feel that a flash drive is important to have on a laptop for maintaining it's shelf life.
My Mac laptop broke down because of the disk drive and the disk drive alone..obviously it didn't handle all the mobility too well..

Last point, if you are concerned about the keyboard and screen, well don't be..
Any smaller would be too small, this little laptop has pretty much a standard size keyboard and the screen is just the right size so you don't have to scroll the page side to side when browsing the internet, etc...
The screen is bright so, I am really impressed with the quality of the screen.

My only complaint? Well, once you go mac, I would say it's hard to go back.
The user friendly aspect of a Mac OS is still, in my opinion, superior to all other operating systems on the market.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2008
I just picked up the ASUS Eee PC 1000 3 weeks ago - this is my first non-Windows computer and I was impressed with the functionality, performance, and value provided by this device.

Its great having a ~3 pound laptop with a battery that lasts long enough that you don't need to lug around the power adapter.

Its great getting a computer that you DON'T need to spend a whole day cleaning out all kinds of junkware trial versions of stuff -- everything you need is pre-loaded and there's no junkware.

Its great getting a laptop that's always ready for use - boots in 20 seconds or less and runs entirely off solid state drives.

The Linux front-end is simple but functional. The keyboard is big enough to really type without fumbling, and the screen is big enough for most simple activities.

I haven't been expecting to attach all kinds of hardware or customize the thing - just use it out of the box for internet, skype, open office, etc.

The bottom line is that I believe its a very good 'netbook' - a very good value.
on December 17, 2008
Although I do have some experience with linux, I have just been using this device so far as an out-of-the-box appliance. I'm not comparing it with any other netbook - I have no experience in that respect - but rather with high-end laptops and desktops.

The functionality, ease of use and compatibility with standards of this device is just amazing. Wireless connection at home and at hot spots is trouble-free. Ease of use with Skype is commendable, and I mean in every respect, it is a superior speaker phone system. The web browser in ordinary use is superior to IE; the media player offers remarkable functionality over Windows Media; long battery life with the solid state drive; very satisfactory pdf viewer; all in all a very well thought out and executed package, remarkable value at the price.
on November 25, 2008
I short, I love it. The folks who don't love it are trying to make it do something other than what it intended to do. I love the fact that it's light. I love the fact that the keyboard is just big enough to touch type on (not so with the 8.9 inch machines). I love the fact that it comes set up and ready to go with all the software you need (and lots more). I love the fact that this particular model comes with a spacious solid-state drive! No hard drive to fail at the most inopportune moment, yah! So, it is what it is, but what it is is perfect for me.
on September 30, 2008
I love this little computer. I use it for everything; it's great for school. The only issue that I've had with it was the operating system. It came with Xandros pre-installed, but it is incredibly oversimplified and the icons tend to disappear on you. However, I easily fixed this by installing Ubuntu-Eee, replacing the old OS. Now everything works perfectly! For more on Ubuntu-Eee, [...]