5.0 out of 5 stars I love this workout

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this workout, August 9, 2008
bmkd (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
After a shaky first trimester, my doctor gave me the ok to exercise again. I started shopping for a good, fun workout DVD. I tried the "Buff Moms-to-be" workout - don't bother with that one. Way to wimpy. Next, I got the "The Perfect Pregnancy Workout" DVD. I love that workout. By far my favorite. However, there isn't much core work involved, so I thought I'll get a pilates DVD, so I can alternate workouts. So, I ordered "Pilates during Pregnancy." That workout is way too brutal. It made me hurt all over, and not in a good way. Finally, I ordered the "10-Minute Solution Prenatal Pilates" DVD. Oh, how I love this workout. The whole body gets a workout. Every muscle in your body is working. The workout is just right - not too wimpy and not too hard. Very doable. You'll feel great afterwards. The instructor is very pleasant, and the background is very inviting. The music is there, but not overpowering. There are five 10 minute sections: Standing Pilates, Core Pilates, Pilates for Buns & Thighs, Total Body Pilates, and Pilates for Flexibility (my favorite). You can select the "Play All" feature, or you can create your own workout by selecting only the sections you want to do. I recently started some physical therapy for my sciatica, and the therapist commented on how great my muscle tone is, especially in my core. I told her about this DVD, and she told me to keep it up, since it seems to work well. I'm now 34 weeks pregnant, and I will continue to use this DVD and "The Perfect Pregnancy Workout" as long as I can.
A number of people have raised some concerns about some of the exercises on this DVD that are done laying on your back. First of all, the amount of time you spend on your back is extremely short. A couple of minutes at the most. I spend more time laying on my back during ultrasounds. Also, the physical therapist gave me some exercises to do at home for my sciatica, and those exercises have me laying flat on my back for 3-5 minutes, so it can't be that bad. Also, while you are laying on your back, during this workout, you are moving around, so I could imagine that prevents blockage of blood flow. But, you need to do what you feel comfortable with. I would definitely recommend this DVD for a great pre-natal workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energizing Workout!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
I'm in the 5th week of my 3rd pregnancy. I gained 45 with my first and was in terrible shape. I didn't loose the weight until after my 2nd pregnancy where I only gained 25, but started overweight. I finally lost all the baby weight and then some and now here I am for #3. I am no where near in great shape, but at least my weight is down and I'm working on it. I started working out early and I've promised myself I would have a more healthy pregnancy this time. My diet is great, I just needed to find a workout that I would enjoy and that wouldn't take an hour of my time. I purchased 4 pregnancy workouts - 2 pilates and 2 yoga and I love them all. I looked at pretty much every prenatal workout Amazon has to offer (spent a couple days reading reviews) and am super happy with my choices. All 4 make the workout very personal, the music is great, and there isn't any of that super peppy over acting stuff like so many workouts. They are all well trained in their art and have many years of experience behind them.

#1 - 10 minute Solution Prenatal Pilates with Lizbeth Garcia
This really energized me. It uses weights along with great moves and my heart rate was up and going. I love Lizbeth Garcia. I LOVE that you can pick which order you do the workouts in and you can do one or as many as you like! I'm looking forward to the postnatal workout after my beautiful little one arrives!

#2 - Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga with Elena Brower
This is a great workout! This is my first time doing yoga, though I've done some of the moves in my regular non-pregnancy pilates workouts, and I'm loving it. It has really loosened up my stiffness and made my hips and lower back feel so much better. I thought I was going to die during my 2nd pregnancy because of all my aches and pains. I talked with many of my friends about yoga and what I should look for. They told me about how I should feel it, but not overstretch, to know what my bodies limits are. The breathing really helps. This one also has a postnatal workout!

#3 - Pilates During Pregnancy with Niece Pecenka
All I can say is - wow! My legs are out of shape. The ab workout is great and helps me feel open and even helped my bloated feeling pass. The leg work is a challenge and has a lot of different moves my other pilates workouts don't, but I know it will get easier as I gain strength. Some of he movements aren't always the same length, but I still love doing this workout.

#4 - Yoga for Pregnancy Labor & Birth with Colette Crawford
I did this today and it really relaxed my body and mind (which I needed as my 3 and 5 year old were running around the house doing crazy things). It's very simple and straightforward and anyone can do it. I feel motivated after doing it and so many pressures are gone. As mentioned in some of the other reviews the girls in it aren't super skinny and that is kind of nice sometimes. She talks a lot about breathing, being in the moment, and just knowing your body. I would recommend this to anyone who just needs some time to learn to relax and do some great stretching to help with aches and pains!

I hope this helps anyone out there looking for some great workouts to stay in shape and feel in control during pregnancy. Just a side note, I've noticed working out really helps me control my cravings and wanting to over eat. It strengthens my mind and helps me feel in control.

4.0 out of 5 stars About lying down on your back..., October 6, 2007
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
Okay, I bought this workout video for the Pilates for Flexibility section, as I wanted a nice stretchy type workout to do before I go to bed. This fits that bill. I have however, previewed the other segments and would like to address concerns about working out while lying on your back.

First, this video is NOT endorsed by the ACOG because you DO some parts of some workouts on your back (hey, it's Pilates). However, the time is limited that you are on your back, and for each exercise that you do on your back, you're moving around--up, down, side-to-side. The whole reason for the "don't lie on your back after 20-weeks" rule is that the growing uterus can exert pressure on the inferior vena cava (a major vein which returns blood from your lower body to your heart)--which can result in dizziness, low blood pressure, and a possible reduction in blood flow to the uterus and, therefore, baby. So, in my non-professional opinion (although, this is my second pregnancy, so I'm not a complete newbie), as long as you're not on your back for too long, and especially if you're moving around stretching and exercising, it's not a big deal.

If you're still concerned, I'll break it down by section.
Two sections--Standing Pilates and Total Body Pilates have no portion where you are on your back.
Core Pilates obviously has you on your back, but it's on an incline, so that eliminates/reduces the pressure on the inferior vena cava.
Pilates for Buns and Thighs has you lay flat, mostly to lift your pelvis for bridges and the like. Again, movement is going to reduce the pressure, and it's only for about 3 minutes of the segment.
Pilates for Flexibility has me on my back for about 2 minutes total, and for most of that time I'm rolling from side-to-side stretching.

I hope that answers people's concerns about this video.

3.0 out of 5 stars No variations for all three trimesters, January 20, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
I have been working out all 6 months of my pregnancy and I am about to enter my third trimester and I found this DVD good but not for people who are not already in shape, especially the ab work. If you do not have a strong core and stomach muscles the section on core strength is not for you. I have been working out regularly throughout my pregnancy but found the core section a little tough and she does not give variations for the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Great workout for beginning pregnancy and will be great as you grow, but if this is your first time trying Pilates you might have to make some variations on your own because she does not give you any. I will stick with this DVD because I have been doing Yoga throughout my pregnancy and think the prenatal yoga to be a little slow but this is challenging and what I am looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pregnant Pilates for Dummies!!!, May 16, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
First I'll start by subjecting myself to some net scrutiny. I'm overweight. I was overweight before I got pregnant by about 40lbs. (It was only thirty, but the Freshmen 15 is a determined threat no matter what age you start college lol.) When I realized I was pregnant, I was determined NOT to gain an ungodly amount of weight this time around. 15lbs is my goal and I'm happy to report that as I approach my 23rd week I've only gained 8 lbs. This of course is due in part to pregnancy metabolism, 2 mile walks and now Prenatal Pilates. I've never been real big on the twist, stretch, raise and hold type workouts, (AKA anything Yoga and Pilates related) but the 10 Minute Solution reviews were impossible to ignore. Almost every one I read included something like, 'I felt great after this work out' and 'The instructions were fast paced and easy to follow.' This is especially important to someone like me. I'm not gonna lie I went into this DVD expecting to hate it as I hated all things bendy, but man was I wrong! I'm sitting in my living room, computer on lap, writing this review after my very first, very awesome 10 minute workout. I feel absolutely revitalized not to mention accomplished. My muscles are pulsing and a smidge sore, but nothing outrageous. The overhaul of exhaustion that normally hits after starting a new regimen has been replaced with a shocking amount of energy. At the menu page I chose the Total Body workout and let me tell you even if the rest of the DVD sucks this one routine made it well worth buying. You're going from the second it comes on. The fast pace and easy instructions work you without working you into the ground. I've never had this much fun exercising. Ever. I've looked high and low for something that would make me feel the way I feel today. I've ordered other Prenatal DVD's and researched until I'm blue in the face, but that's all over now. Take it from a pregnant, overweight Pilates hater like me; the 10 minute solution is exactly that; the solution. Good luck to you all, and have a happy, healthy pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Important Read this information 4 core saftey, March 9, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
I have been doing the Ana Caban, Total Toning Workout, the pilates standing section ONLY, and I am very happy with it. So I tried out a few prenatal pilates DVD's. Making a good pilates pregnancy workout is difficult because a lot of pilates exercises are very core challenging, are done on a flat back, and include fast paced breathing, all of which is great if you aren't pregnant or in your first trimester. Most of the videos I tried were either entirely unsafe or not even worth taking the time to do because they were so easy. This video is Ok, I am in the second trimester and did the whole video straight through, It was an OK workout. The Buns & Thighs, Standing, and Flexibility sections are 5 star short workouts, the other three are 3 to 4 star workouts.

My concern is only in one of the six workouts on the video. The core pilates. 100% safe for your first trimester. However, in your second trimester you must modify the exercises and splint your abs on half the exercises. As seen in Gabrielle Reece: The Complete Fit and Healthy Pregnancy. If you don't your abs will begin to split apart. This was never addressed in this video. Also in your third trimester I would recommend omitting any of the exercises that feel uncomfortable, or cause dizziness. Some people where concerned about lying on your back to do these exercises, as long as you feel good doing them you should be OK. In the Core section she has you doing the exercises supported by pillows so you will not be on a flat back, and it is only about 5 minutes. Though out the video their is a minimum of flat back work.

If you want to try a Pilates wourkout video I would strongly give 5 stars check out, Jillian Moriarty's Prenatal Fitness (Pre/Postnatal Yoga & Pilates Workouts), by Parents, you can find it at Target. Also Suzanne Bowen's Long and Lean Prenatal Workout Is a great 5 stars all Pilates workout video. THEY ARE TWO AWESOME full length pilates workouts with bonus workouts suitable for all stages of pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prenatal Workout Review - 10 Minute Solutions Prenatal Pilates was one of my favorites, September 2, 2013
KBG (Lawrence, KS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
I bought several pregnancy workout videos, and thought it would be a good idea to write a review of all of them at once: Amira’s Bellydance and Yoga for Pregnancy; 10 Minute Solutions Prenatal Pilates; Shiva Rea’s Prenatal Yoga; Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol.1; Summer Sanders’ Prenatal Workout. Let me start this by saying that before my pregnancy, my level of fitness was somewhere in between couch potato and world-class athlete – I usually worked out a few times a week, doing 20-30 minutes cardio and some light weight-lifting, but was not running marathons or anything like that. I wanted to maintain a similar level of fitness during my pregnancy, while building muscles and flexibility specific to labor and burning enough calories to offset my very increased appetite. Whether you get one of these or not, my overall advice is that working out during pregnancy really, really helps – it helped me stay more comfortable as I expanded and my center of gravity shifted, it helped me feel good about the changes that were happening to my body, and it helped prepare me for a relatively smooth and manageable labor and delivery (no medication).

Amira’s Bellydance and Yoga for Pregnancy: This was one of my favorites, and I think in the long run it really helped prepare my body for labor; it also helped me to relax, stretch, and feel good as I got bigger and bigger. Some of the reviews here point out that it is not a very intense workout – that’s true, but I felt like there was plenty of stretching and strengthening, and through much of my pregnancy high intensity was not what I was looking for – the goal of this video is not to increase athleticism, but to help the body adjust to pregnancy and prepare for labor. Amira is a very encouraging coach, and much of the commentary is designed to be relaxing, informative, and comforting; I also appreciated that she looked like a real pregnant woman in the video, rather than a super fit, still skinny woman who just happened to have a bump. The bonus material – interviews and some dance performances – was not all that appealing to me, but I liked Amira’s intro statement about her own experience and the history of bellydance. The interviews might be more interesting/helpful for someone who doesn’t have sisters/girlfriends who have been through this before.

10 Minute Solutions Prenatal Pilates: This was another favorite. I really like the format, where you can choose how many of the 10-minute segments to do, and in what order, and I felt like the workouts were manageable and well-suited to pregnant bodies. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I was doing the flexibility workout more than the others and often just one or two at a time, but for the first two trimesters, I would usually do three of the workouts at a time. I was somewhat familiar with pilates already, but not an expert by any means, and I found the workouts easy to follow (with a little practice needed the first few times); I think this would be good for those new to pilates, and the format means that even people who are not used to working out can start off with a manageable amount and work up from there. The instructor sometimes gives conflicting cues about breathing patterns, but generally she is clear, informative, and easy to follow. Seeing someone well into her 3rd trimester doing these exercises was very inspiring. Some of the workouts don’t require any equipment, but some require light hand weights and/or pillows.

Shiva Rea’s Prenatal Yoga: I didn’t get this until near the end of my pregnancy, but the few times I did it made me wish I had it earlier. The pace and level of difficulty are definitely geared towards beginners, and much of the emphasis is on toning and stretching in ways that are particularly geared towards pregnancy and labor (kegel exercises and hip stretches). This is a very relaxing and slow-paced video – not a killer workout that will leave you sweating and panting. There are modifications for each trimester, but with many of the moves, I found I could do the 1st trimester version and didn’t need the modifications. It did require some equipment: a yoga blanket (? Not sure what this is – I just used a regular blanket folded up), a strap (I used the belt from a bathrobe), and a yoga brick (this was needed for some of the later trimester modifications – I just skipped it).

Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol. 1: I had read great reviews of this, but was disappointed and only used it a few times. Basically, it was too strenuous for my pregnant self – the instructor is a world-class athlete and I guess this is the workout she had put together for herself during her pregnancy – nothing wrong with that, but her level of fitness and her fitness goals were just a little different from mine, and I really couldn’t keep up. That said, there were a few moves that I liked and did separately when I just needed something quick (like the labor squats). I did like it that kegels were built into this. If you feel you are up to it, it is an intense and thorough workout. The final section, on preparing yourself mentally by doing an intense endurance exercise, seemed silly to me at the time, and it still seems silly now that I’ve been through labor: 3 minutes of arm circles is difficult, but conquering this difficulty will not be enough to prepare you for making it through labor (which can be manageable if you are well-prepared!).

Summer Sanders’ Prenatal Workout: This video was ok, and definitely offers a thorough workout, but it was not my favorite. It has three separate workouts, one for each trimester, and you can choose the complete version or an express version for each one (I think the complete version is just the express workout repeated a second time) – I almost always did the express version. The 1st trimester workout was way too hard for me (I wanted to spend most of my 1st trimester sleeping), the 2nd trimester workout was just about right in terms of intensity, and the 3rd trimester workout was a little too light (for me). The moves here are fairly traditional and will certainly tone major muscles groups without any frills; I would have appreciated more stretching. There were a few pregnancy-specific moves that I often did separately (labor lunges, plie squats). Summer Sanders and her trainer/sister-in-law are encouraging, but their chatter doesn’t hold up well and starts to get annoying after watching it a few times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bummed., April 9, 2013
I want so bad to like this video. The instructor is energetic, the music, too - and the workouts so neatly packaged into little do-able 10 minute segments. But whether you're feeling slightly distracted today, or aren't a pilates expert - a few more pointers on how to keep this workout safe are desperately needed! The #1 danger for pregnant women for this type of workout out, is that it becomes an ab workout rather than a true pilates workout which engages much deeper - the TVA. too much abs, and it can pull on the TVA in ways you'd like to avoid. I need those extra reminders to engage the TVA - CORRECTLY - to ensure I am not setting myself up for diastis recti, which impacts 1/3 of all first time pregnancies (if not more). How about a workout where quality rather than quantity is the goal? Where I'm not tempted to push too hard by fear of birthing or of post-birthing body? I'll take, instead, a safe, hi-quality pregnancy workout that really strengthens what needs strength today - having faith it builds my capabilities tomorrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is wonderful!, November 5, 2007
Pamela K. Day "Singermom3" (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
I love this DVD! It is getting colder where I live and harder for me to walk outside like I would like. I do this at least 4 times a week and it makes me feel wonderful!! It is easy to follow and the 10 minute segments are great! Especially for someone who gets bored easily like me! The fact that I can switch them up and do the ones I want on any given day is a nice feature as well! I just entered my 6th month and I am sure that I will do this all the way until the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this DVD, May 18, 2012
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates (DVD)
What a great solution!! I work about a 60+ hour week, and was finding it really difficult to find time to exercise, and then feeling really guilty that I wasn't getting it together..... What a revelation that even 10 minutes is better than doing nothing: It's so easy to slip into the mindset that if I can't find a full hour to exercise, then the whole day is a write-off so try (and fail!) again tomorrow.

SO I have just been getting out of bed 20 minutes earlier every day (that I can manage!) to do 2 of the 5 workouts, and feeling much better because of it. I love that you can select any of the 5 in any order.... so you can do a different combo every time and it doesn't get too repetitive. Then in the weekends when I have a bit more time I just do all 5 in a row for a decent-length workout. The exercises are gentle and not too difficult, but you still feel like you've done something.

10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates
10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates by Lizbeth Garcia (DVD - 2007)
$14.98 $10.19