4.0 out of 5 stars Nice whole-body workout that isn't like every other workout.
Published on January 30, 2006 by Sheri in Reho

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
On the plus side, there's a minimum of equipment. In fact, you only need hand weights for the Arms segment, and the workouts are indeed mostly beginner. (Some true beginners may have difficulty with some moves, such as modified push-ups.) It's also a bit slow and repetitive, but if you've never worked out before, you may appreciate that. It's also not overly perky or...
Published on May 6, 2007 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice whole-body workout that isn't like every other workout., January 30, 2006
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
This is one of a series of DVDs which offer five 10-minute workouts which can be done individually, done as a 50-minute workout in sequence or mixed and matched to your preference. As usual, each 10-minute workout has a short warmup and cooldown that is tailored to the body part you'll be working out in that segment. This DVD, Target Tone for Beginners, offers these workouts:

Thighs: Squats, lunges and various isolation moves are used to work those quadriceps. Be sure to pay attention when she tells you where your weight should be...if your weight isn't in the right place, you won't work the correct muscles.

Arms: You will first use a set of hand weights (instructor uses a 5-pound set as do I) to work your shoulder and arm muscles. Then, unlike many upper body workouts, you'll do a series of exercises from the floor--pushups, planks, etc.

Buns: The strategy here is very similar to the thighs segment, but with different exercises that focus on the glutes. You will also take to the floor in this segment for rear leg lifts from a rather indelicate (but effective!) position. :)

Abs: This segment starts out standing, unlike the usual abs workout that is all about crunches. Once down on the floor, you will do planks as well as standard crunches.

PowerStretch: This segment is a series of stretches, both standing and on the floor, which work primarily the legs, but a little of everything else.

On the whole, I liked the DVD. I liked that she takes at least a slightly different approach on almost everything than some other workouts I've done so it doesn't feel quite so repetitive as some do. As an instructor, I find her just a bit more annoying than the other 10-Minute Solution instructors; not hugely so, but a little too much perky cheerleading (I couldn't count how many times I heard "Can ya do another 8? I know you can!").

If you have done the Tamilee Webb "I Want That Body!" workout that includes arms, abs and buns, this is very similar except that it is doable on the first try, whereas I didn't find Tami's abs and buns segments were doable on the first try. Depends on how much of a challenge you want. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend this. If you want a more challenging workout, I'd recommend Tamilee over this.

P.S. As a warning to those over 40 or 50, or anyone with knee problems...as is the case with any workout featuring a lot of squats and lunges, this workout is punishing on the knees. I wouldn't suggest doing it 3 times a week or anything, but once a week should be doable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful!, January 15, 2005
Carroll (Cleveland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
I am an on-again, off-again beginner trying to lose 40 pounds and not excerising as much as I should be. I wanted to tone my muscles while losing weight, so I tried this DVD and I couldn't be happier. Cindy Whitmarsh is very pleasant and keeps you going without being abrasive. The exercises are all doable (I even have a bad back) and I feel great when I'm done. The 10 minute increments are perfect for squeezing in some toning during a busy day. Kudos to Ms. Whitmarsh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 50, October 15, 2004
This video is great for beginners the more advanced and the not so young anymore. The exercises target the thighs,arms,buns and abs and I can actually see and feel a difference. I hate to exercise, because like most people I become bored very easily. So far the short exercises that target all the need to be worked on areas, go fast and are effective. I am looking for more like them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics, September 23, 2007
N. Privette (Wake Forest, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
I'm a big fan of the 10 Minute Solution series. Something about dividing the workouts into 10-minute segments makes the time go by so much faster. I've been doing this video for a couple of weeks now, and have found that it is filled with lots of tried-and-true toning exercises - crunches, push-ups, squats, weight lifting. No fashionable methods here, just good old-fashioned get-off-your-butt. It works, though - I have lots of home exercise videos, and this is one of the few that actually makes me sore (good sore!) the next day. It's called Target Toning for Beginners, but I think everyone can benefit from this routine. Beginners will be able to make it through just fine, and more advanced exercisers can challenge themselves with modifications and heavier weights. Some reviewers have complained about the instructor's perkiness, but I really like her. Yeah, she probably was prom queen and class president, but as exercise video instructors go, she's downright tame. Besides, if doing this exercise routine means I'll have a body half as toned as hers, she can dance around in a chicken suit and sing show tunes for all I care.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this video, February 5, 2005
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
As an owner of at least 30 Exercise Videos (The Firm, FitPrime, various others) I like the idea of this video. Even though the entire video takes just under an hour to complete, it doesn't seem nearly as long because of the 10 minute increments. I added heavier handweights and ankle weights and believe me, I did feel the burn! I like it and anyone can adapt it and use the format for a quick pick me up.

4.0 out of 5 stars great when paired with a walking regimen, October 4, 2005
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
This video is great. I didn't find the instructor annoying. I do agree that the power stretch could be a bit better. The stretching in general throughout the DVD is not great - a physician once told me to sustain all stretches for at least 8 seconds. Many times I noticed the instructor only holding the stretch for a few seconds. So that's why I knocked off a star in my rating. Other than that, I think this workout is really, really good for beginners. Those who want an intermediate video shouldn't necessarily pass this up, though... the instructor gives many options for making the workout more challenging. In my opinion, this workout should be used in addition to some aerobic activity, because none of the ten minute sections raise your heart rate at all. I try to walk 30 minutes a day on a treadmill and then add 2 or 3 sections of this video, alternating every day. I love how it's broken up into ten minute sections and you can customize your workout. I feel a lot stronger and more fit after only a week of using the video!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it nightly (when I'm not too lazy); it's the best!, March 18, 2008
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
I originally previewed a ton of exercise DVDs by renting them from NetFlix. I figured that it would be cheaper to rent them than to buy them, only to find out they weren't what I wanted. This one's the one I purchased. I use it all the time. It's fantastic. It got me over the chronic pain from sciatica that I've had for 30 years. Nothing else has worked like this: not acupuncture, not other exercise programs, and not yoga. If you have chronic back pain, try this to strengthen your back and stomach, which supports a weak back. It's worth every penny and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this DVD!, January 28, 2006
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
This video is fantastic. All the exercises are do-able for beginners, even if you have limited space. I started doing this video every day and I'm seeing results. If you do the ab workouts every other day YOU WILL SEE QUICK RESULTS just like she says!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need, June 30, 2005
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
I hated exercise videos till this one! I've never liked the obnoxious skiny girls on the videos. However, the girl leading this video is great! Ten minutes a day I can do... better yet anyone can do! It is only 10 minutes! I started using this DVD in December of '04 and by March of '05 I had lost 20 pounds! Slow and steady. If you never invest in another exercise DVD, buy this one. I wish this girl were in more exercise DVD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, January 27, 2007
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners (DVD)
The workouts are do-able on the first try, and all of them give you a nice burn without overworking you. There are things you can do to adjust the difficulty level, but I really enjoy it. The 10-minute segments are a great way to work your whole body without sacrificing too much time that you don't or can't have. I really like the instructor, Cindy Whitmarsh. Yes, she has to encourage you, but i think she's just funny in a very normal-person-trying-to-be-encouraging kind of way, perhaps a little fake, but she has to be, she's a fitness teacher on a dvd. And have you ever seen Denise Austen?

Anyway, it's a good workout, worth having, definately recommend it, easy to implement in your day. I especially like the abs and buns workout, but the legs are good too. I haven't gotten a chance to buy handweights, but i've done the arm exercises without them and they're really good. If you do all 4 segments with the power stretch at the end, it's a very good workout.

10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners
10 Minute Solution - Target Toning for Beginners by Andrea Ambandos (DVD - 2004)
$23.50