Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

This is one of a series of DVDs which offer five 10-minute workouts which can be done individually, done as a 50-minute workout in sequence or mixed and matched to your preference. As usual, each 10-minute workout has a short warmup and cooldown that is tailored to the body part you'll be working out in that segment. This DVD, Target Tone for Beginners, offers these workouts:

Thighs: Squats, lunges and various isolation moves are used to work those quadriceps. Be sure to pay attention when she tells you where your weight should be...if your weight isn't in the right place, you won't work the correct muscles.

Arms: You will first use a set of hand weights (instructor uses a 5-pound set as do I) to work your shoulder and arm muscles. Then, unlike many upper body workouts, you'll do a series of exercises from the floor--pushups, planks, etc.

Buns: The strategy here is very similar to the thighs segment, but with different exercises that focus on the glutes. You will also take to the floor in this segment for rear leg lifts from a rather indelicate (but effective!) position. :)

Abs: This segment starts out standing, unlike the usual abs workout that is all about crunches. Once down on the floor, you will do planks as well as standard crunches.

PowerStretch: This segment is a series of stretches, both standing and on the floor, which work primarily the legs, but a little of everything else.

On the whole, I liked the DVD. I liked that she takes at least a slightly different approach on almost everything than some other workouts I've done so it doesn't feel quite so repetitive as some do. As an instructor, I find her just a bit more annoying than the other 10-Minute Solution instructors; not hugely so, but a little too much perky cheerleading (I couldn't count how many times I heard "Can ya do another 8? I know you can!").

If you have done the Tamilee Webb "I Want That Body!" workout that includes arms, abs and buns, this is very similar except that it is doable on the first try, whereas I didn't find Tami's abs and buns segments were doable on the first try. Depends on how much of a challenge you want. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend this. If you want a more challenging workout, I'd recommend Tamilee over this.

P.S. As a warning to those over 40 or 50, or anyone with knee problems...as is the case with any workout featuring a lot of squats and lunges, this workout is punishing on the knees. I wouldn't suggest doing it 3 times a week or anything, but once a week should be doable.
0Comment| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2005
I am an on-again, off-again beginner trying to lose 40 pounds and not excerising as much as I should be. I wanted to tone my muscles while losing weight, so I tried this DVD and I couldn't be happier. Cindy Whitmarsh is very pleasant and keeps you going without being abrasive. The exercises are all doable (I even have a bad back) and I feel great when I'm done. The 10 minute increments are perfect for squeezing in some toning during a busy day. Kudos to Ms. Whitmarsh!
This video is great for beginners the more advanced and the not so young anymore. The exercises target the thighs,arms,buns and abs and I can actually see and feel a difference. I hate to exercise, because like most people I become bored very easily. So far the short exercises that target all the need to be worked on areas, go fast and are effective. I am looking for more like them.
on September 23, 2007
I'm a big fan of the 10 Minute Solution series. Something about dividing the workouts into 10-minute segments makes the time go by so much faster. I've been doing this video for a couple of weeks now, and have found that it is filled with lots of tried-and-true toning exercises - crunches, push-ups, squats, weight lifting. No fashionable methods here, just good old-fashioned get-off-your-butt. It works, though - I have lots of home exercise videos, and this is one of the few that actually makes me sore (good sore!) the next day. It's called Target Toning for Beginners, but I think everyone can benefit from this routine. Beginners will be able to make it through just fine, and more advanced exercisers can challenge themselves with modifications and heavier weights. Some reviewers have complained about the instructor's perkiness, but I really like her. Yeah, she probably was prom queen and class president, but as exercise video instructors go, she's downright tame. Besides, if doing this exercise routine means I'll have a body half as toned as hers, she can dance around in a chicken suit and sing show tunes for all I care.
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2005
As an owner of at least 30 Exercise Videos (The Firm, FitPrime, various others) I like the idea of this video. Even though the entire video takes just under an hour to complete, it doesn't seem nearly as long because of the 10 minute increments. I added heavier handweights and ankle weights and believe me, I did feel the burn! I like it and anyone can adapt it and use the format for a quick pick me up.
on October 4, 2005
This video is great. I didn't find the instructor annoying. I do agree that the power stretch could be a bit better. The stretching in general throughout the DVD is not great - a physician once told me to sustain all stretches for at least 8 seconds. Many times I noticed the instructor only holding the stretch for a few seconds. So that's why I knocked off a star in my rating. Other than that, I think this workout is really, really good for beginners. Those who want an intermediate video shouldn't necessarily pass this up, though... the instructor gives many options for making the workout more challenging. In my opinion, this workout should be used in addition to some aerobic activity, because none of the ten minute sections raise your heart rate at all. I try to walk 30 minutes a day on a treadmill and then add 2 or 3 sections of this video, alternating every day. I love how it's broken up into ten minute sections and you can customize your workout. I feel a lot stronger and more fit after only a week of using the video!
on January 28, 2006
This video is fantastic. All the exercises are do-able for beginners, even if you have limited space. I started doing this video every day and I'm seeing results. If you do the ab workouts every other day YOU WILL SEE QUICK RESULTS just like she says!!!!
on March 18, 2008
I originally previewed a ton of exercise DVDs by renting them from NetFlix. I figured that it would be cheaper to rent them than to buy them, only to find out they weren't what I wanted. This one's the one I purchased. I use it all the time. It's fantastic. It got me over the chronic pain from sciatica that I've had for 30 years. Nothing else has worked like this: not acupuncture, not other exercise programs, and not yoga. If you have chronic back pain, try this to strengthen your back and stomach, which supports a weak back. It's worth every penny and more.
on February 1, 2013
Completely out of shape, so while I wanted to see results, I also wanted to ensure I didn't cause an injury right at the beginning (been there, done that to my knee -- lingered for months). This seems to be a very good routine that will get me in shape before I try more intensive workouts. It consists of four 10 minute segments that concentrates on thighs, abs, arms, or buns, plus a 10 minute power stretch. When it comes to exercise, I get bored easily or don't want to spend hours, so the short routines keep me from putting it off. Then before I know it, I've gone thru all 5. It also gives the option of setting them up in the order you wish. Cindy also gives suggestions for making the exercise harder if you're at that point. I've been doing all 5 for a month now and the first thing to go was that muffin top. I definitely feel it working to tighten those muscles. Now if I can just find a 10 minute solution for wrinkles...
on June 30, 2005
I hated exercise videos till this one! I've never liked the obnoxious skiny girls on the videos. However, the girl leading this video is great! Ten minutes a day I can do... better yet anyone can do! It is only 10 minutes! I started using this DVD in December of '04 and by March of '05 I had lost 20 pounds! Slow and steady. If you never invest in another exercise DVD, buy this one. I wish this girl were in more exercise DVD's.