5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit from 10 Minute Solution
Published on April 10, 2010 by Amy Henley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, but maybe for others
It can be hard reviewing an exercise video. Just because the video is not to one's liking doesn't make it a bad video. Such is the case for this video and me: we simply don't go together.

Published on August 13, 2010 by Dienne

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit from 10 Minute Solution, April 10, 2010
Amy Henley (VA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
Each section of the workout makes every minute count! As with most 10 minute solution DVDs, you burn the most fat in the shortest amont of time. I felt each section did a good job of progressing from easier to harder moves. Jesica doesn't say as much to encourage you to keep going as some other instructors, but I personally like that her focus is on form and cuing, with an occasional "boot camp" motivational phrase. She has the same no nonsense approach on her 10 minute solution Knockout Body and Tummy Toners DVDs, which I also recommend.

Fat Fighting Skills & Drills

You start with high knee moves to get warmed up, but you can vary the workout by not making the moves as big. The moves in this section start with running in place, high knees, running around around an imaginary cone, skate taps and jumps, basic jumping jacks in place and traveling, "5 dot" drills, side to side jumps, side shuffles, squat thrusts and jacks, ski jumps. Then, she moves on to obstacle course moves. These are jumping through imaginary tires, "agility ladder," running in place, "flipper jacks," butt kicks, and "going through the trenches." Finally she ends with basic jacks, "fast feet," and moving planks.

Ultimate Total Body Training

This section focuses on "functional moves just like they do in basic training." You will need a set of dumbells "heavy enough to really challenge your muscles" and a mat. I used 5 pounds because it was my first time doing the DVD. Jessica starts with squats and arm stretches to warm up. The first move combines squats and military presses. Second, stack the dumbells in one hand to "create an imaginary sandbag" and do lunges and rows on one side. Third, to keep up your heart rate put down the dumbells and do some power squats from side to side. Then, go back to the squats and military presses. Do lunges and rows on the other side. When that side is done, go back to the power squats. When that series is done, do pushups. In between each pushup you tap a dumbell with one hand and then switch to other side. Next, is a big power move called a "sandbag slam squat." You squat with both dumbells in front of you and then jump up. For the next move, place the dumbells on the floor and do jumping jacks around them. Then, go back to the pushups and "sandbag slam squat." Then its on to jumping jacks and running. "Okay soldier" the next move takes you down to the floor. But, if you think this means a nice cool down, you are wrong! You line the dumbells in front of you again and get in plank position. First, you bring one leg forward to your hand by the dumbell. Second you do a row with the dubmbell. Then, you alternate sides. The next move is a "cross wood chop" with the "sandbag." Then you put the dumbells down to do "X jumps" and "butt kicks." Then, you go back to the plank and rows starting with the other foot. Then, back to the "cross wood chop." Then, back to the "X jumps" and "butt kicks." From there lay with your stomach on the mat. Do an arm pull up move to stretch out back and abs. Just when you though you were at a cool down phase, you do pushups and plank runs. Finally, you repeat sequence of pull ups, pushups, and plank runs. "Now recruit" its time to cool down.

Ultimate Upper Body Training

I finally found the quick, but effective arm workout I was looking for in this section. You need dumbells "heavy enough to really challenge your upper muscles" and a mat. Even though this section is primarily for the upper body, most of the moves incoporate the entire body. You warm up with "rope pull downs" and arm pull ups. Start with pushups wider than your shoulders on bent knees and then on toes. Next is a "shot put throw" with the dumbells across the body. On to a squat with bicept curls. Then, you go back to the "shot put throw" on the other side. Then, back to the squat, but with hammer curls this time. Set your weights down to do a second set of push ups with your elbows going back to your rib cage to hit the tricepts. The next move requires you to stack your dumbells or get one heavier weight so you can do front raises. Then, you "pass something on to the soldier behind you" to work your trcepts. Next, you combine the two moves so you go from front raise to tricept. Then, you do wide raises to make the "letter Y." Then go back to the pull down move. However, this time with your dumbells and while doing calf raises to pull yourself over an imaginary bar. Then, you do some reps of an upper back move. Next, you run back and forth with weights carried at chest level. Then, you do more pull ups. The next sequence of moves hit the tricepts again. You start by doing dips while on the mat. Then, in the same position, you do a balance move where you reach forward with opposite arm and leg. Finally, you move forward and back (crab walk). The next move is for the upper back. Then do flys with your stomach on mat. Next is a series of staggered pushups for which you walk one arm forward and do a push up, and walk the arm back. Then do the other side. She says eventually you can move on to doing the pushups on your toes, instead of knees. Finally you end with a plank. Then, a few second cool down.

Ultimate Lower Body Training

You use only your body weight. To warm up you do leg circles on one side and then skate with arms on head. Then leg cirlces on the other side with side lunges. Then you do a balance series with one legged squat and lunges. As you do the lunges, you go from tapping your foot to keeping it in the air to jumping. Go back to side lunges. Then, you do the moves on other leg. On to "walk in place lunges" with arm moves that incorporate the whole body. Now on to "Ninja jumps." Next, you do squats with back leg raises. Back to "Ninja jumps." The next series of moves starts with walking backwards and forwards in squat position. Next, comes a power move where you do a rear lunge, a kick forward, and jump to switch sides. The series ends with fast feet. Then, back to walking squats, the lunge power move, and fast feet. The next few minutes focuses just on lunges. You do a few plain lunges, holding each side for a few seconds. Next, comes the same lunge move with rapid switching of legs. Then, on to a more complicated series of lunge moves. First you reach up, lunge forward, and tap forward. Second, you reach up, lunge to one side, and tap forward. Third, you reach up, lunge back, and tap forward. Then, you do the same series with the other leg. First, you reach up, lunge forward, and tap forward. Second, you reach up, lunge to the other side, and tap forward. Third, you reach up, lunge back, and tap forward. Do that a few times and see if your develop killer legs. Then, you do the lunge series again. There really isn't a cool down for this section. I would recommend that you do some of your own stretches.

Six Pack Ab Attack

You just need a mat and towl. You warm up with a side to side bend. Then, you rotate side to side while hips stay forward to stretch your obliques. You start the ab work by crawling forward in plank position. Next, turn over on your back to do crunches on mat. Then, back to crawling forward in plank position and crunches. To work obliques start with hands behind head, lift shoulder blades to reach forward to calf while you twist to one side. Repeat on other side. Next, while lying on the mat put your hands as if you are "grabbing the ankles of another recruit." Bring your knees in while you tuck your hips and bring knees towards chin. Then, bring knees back down and tap your toes. Really scoop and lift while you stabelize your body. On to a complicated move where you rock up and switch position of legs from crossed on one side to crossed on the other. Then you repeat the oblique series. The last time you cross your legs you pull yourself into a standing position. Go to end of mat and walk yourself into plank position on elbows. Turn into a side elbow plank. Come back to center. Then, do side plank on the other side. Repeat twice. Next, on to a move where you are on your toes in straight arm plank position. You bring your belly in and one knee slowly up to the opposite elbow. Go to center and then switch to the other side. Move off mat, while in plank position. This time move elbow to same side leg, while rappidly switching sides. Move to the other side of the mat, while in plank position. Do same knee to elbow move while rappidly switching sides. Walk back to center. Repeat knee to oposite elbow series again. Turn on to your back. Lay back with straight legs. Sit up and reach for heel. Rapidly alternate sides. Moving on to a new series...reach for another soldiers ankles again. Bring legs so they are straight up this time. Put one leg on top of the other. Control legs down and up. You may need to make a smaller range of motion, if you feel your back move off mat. Repeat sit up and heel touches. Repeat up and down straight legs. Go back to pank position on elbows. Alternate heel lift. Stablize plank as you switch legs. Lay on your back again. Reach for soldier's ankles again. This time do crunches by pulling yourself all the way up and all the way back. Go back to plank position on elbows. Keep legs on ground as you lift up first one arm and stetch. Shift weight to side with bent elbow as you do so. Then repeat on the other side. To cool down do bent or straight arm cobra. Sit in cross legged position. Stretch to first one side and then the other.

In order to compensate for the lack of cool down for what is a serious workout, I did a ten minute strech section from one of my other 10 minute solution workouts. I recommend a section from one of the 10 minute pilates or yoga DVDs or doing your own stretches.

I'm an Intermediate Exerciser. After doing all that, I felt like I was going to barf, but it will be worth it to do this workout every week. My muscles are still buring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, but maybe for others, August 13, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)

Now, I have to take responsibility for a large chunk of that. I suppose a 40-year-old, out of shape, inflexible person should think twice about a video entitled "Ultimate Bootcamp". There are small portions of nearly every workout that I literally can't do at all (such as walking on my elbows in plank position), and larger portions that, while I can do them, I breathe so hard trying to keep up I sound like a dysfunctional 1940 Hoover vacuum cleaner. Because of this, I end up skipping chunks of the workout, or simply jogging in place, and I'm sure I'm not getting nearly the full benefit of the workout.

But, of course, that's me. If you're contemplating this video, you are hopefully more self-aware and realistic about your capabilities and limitations.

Nonetheless, I think that even if I were in better shape and actually capable of doing the full workouts, I don't think I would enjoy this video. There's really nothing fun about this video - it is sheer punishment from start to finish. If that's what you like in a workout, this video is for you. The video definitely maximizes every second of the brief workouts and, assuming you are able to complete them, you should probably notice results very quickly. For me, however, I need to enjoy working out in order to stick with it long enough to experience results and this video just didn't do it for me.

I also did not connect well with Jessica Smith as an instructor - I just didn't find her engaging or supportive, but rather scolding and preachy. For instance, had she said, "we don't quit until the finish" one more time, I think I would have thrown something at the TV. I also found her difficult to follow and often by the time I caught up with what she was doing, she was on to the next movements.

If I were rating this video solely on my own liking of it, I would give it one star, maybe two. However, I realize that's not entirely fair, as I believe that, for the right people (those who are already in really good shape), it does do an effective job of what it purports to do. But for me, I'm going to put this video away for a while. Perhaps in a couple months, if I'm in better shape, I will get it back out and challenge myself again. Perhaps my opinion will change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid workout, March 24, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
If you are looking for a solid workout that will fit your schedule look no further. I feel like this is an inter/advanced workout and since it is programmable you can do one or all of the segments depending on what you can do that day and you will get an effective workout. The first segment, Fat Fighting Skills and Drills, is a solid cardio workout that will get your heart pumping for sure. The second segment, Ultimate Upper Body Training, will sculpt your upper body quickly. There are quite a few sets of push ups, but also very effective exercises using weights. The third segment, Ultimate Lower Body Training, uses a variety of lunges, squats and variations of them to work your legs and glutes. The fourth segment, Ultimate Total Body Training, utilizes weights to tone as well as adds cardio to burn fat. It works the entire body very well in a short period of time. The final segment, Six Pack Ab Attack, really focuses on the abs to tone and strengthen them. The exercises include plank moves, crunches and sit ups, among other effective moves to really get your abs working. Even though the segments are only 10 minutes, each one packs a punch to work you into shape. This is a very challenging workout and I feel it is a bit faster paced that some of the other 10 Minute Solution workouts. The instructor is motivating without being annoying. This is a great addition to any library and will bring results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout, but totally lacks warm up/cool down, May 16, 2010
M. Black (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
I have other of Jessica Smith's DVD's and this is an efficient, tough workout and by being broken down into 10 minute segments, you can fit it in anywhere in your schedule. However, I was really surprised that she thought a few knee lifts and swinging your arms around a little was a sufficient warm up. Doing this DVD without proper warm up/cool down is a great way to injure yourself. I would highly recommend doing a complete warm up and cool down on your own. Even some stretching between moves would help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jessica Smith DVD yet!, April 10, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
This is my third Jessica Smith DVD- I also have knockout body and quick tummy toners. I love them so much that I pre-ordered this, and I'm glad that I did. Bootcamp is definitely more challenging than her other DVDs, and if you're anything like me (moderately fit, but weak muscle-wise) it will take a little bit of working up to, but if you're already quite toned it would be perfect. Personally I'm working up, doing one bootcamp routine per day and two from her other DVDs which are slightly easier. If you're my level of fitness, this is great to use maybe one day a week as your intense workout, or one ten-minute routine at a time. The routines are easy to follow- I'm hopelessly uncoordinated, so I tend to avoid complicated or dance-like routines. I prefer simple workouts that challenge me, and this has got it. The best thing about this DVD, though, is Jessica Smith herself. Not only does she look amazing, with the kind of abs and upper body that make you grit your teeth and aspire to the same, but she also projects an enthusiasm that sweeps you through the next move before you even notice. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good one!, February 7, 2014
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
I was pretty reluctant about the 10 minutes format, since I usually find this short workouts too easy. Not the case with this one! Each 10 min segment really makes you sweat. The abs segment is amazing.

Funny thing is, this DVD is 2 year old or so, but it's much better than more current DVDs.

I do recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessica's awesome, April 12, 2010
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
I have all of Jessica Smith's videos. Each is better than the next. I workout with videos 6 to 7 times a week and would condsider myself intermediate to advanced but in good overall physical condition. This video was difficult for me. I was shocked by how sore I felt and hadn't even finished the 5th 10 minute routine. I chose to do all 5 at one time. My arms are going to be very sore tomorrow! I totally recommend this video for cardio and strength! She doesn't give much demonstration about what's coming up next but it wasn't a problem for me. The second time I do it I will know so it didn't matter to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing from an otherwise great series, May 13, 2011
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
I have like five different 10 Minute Solutions DVDs and I like all of those a lot. I definitely love this series. But this particular DVD I didn't enjoy. The instructor is more annoying than the other ones - she's not as encouraging or supportive or gentle, and it's more like she's yelling at me. Plus the moves are not as fun as in other fitness DVDs (for example I found OTHER fitness DVDs that featured kickboxing and sports drills to be high impact but fun). This DVD is really high impact with lots of jumping, but didn't have a good flow like OTHER DVDs I've tried.

Oh - and a BIG problem with this DVD - you need A LOT of space to do it. While the other DVDs I can do in my tiny living room, this DVD requires more space than I think most people have, unless you live in a large house or have a large rec room / large basement.

I would however recommend the following 10 Minute Solutions DVDs: Toning ball (blonde instructor), Exercise ball (medium brunette), Resistance strap (really dark brunette), Sports drills (brunette), Pilates (more than one 10-minute solution DVD for this but I've liked all that I've tried).

Summary: I give the 10 Minute Solutions series 5 out of 5 stars, but I give this particular DVD a 1 or 2 out of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed, March 3, 2014
Janet (Falls Church, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
Each 10-minute segment provides a complete, well-rounded, well-designed, surprisingly intense workout that's perfect for getting your blood moving when you don't have time for a full workout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good work out, February 12, 2014
This review is from: 10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp (DVD)
This is a serious work out. Some parts i would definitely consider (maybe too) challenging for beginning exercisers, especially the fat fighting skills and drills. The exercises follow each other so rapidly in that segment that, if you are not used to doing stuff like this, it may leave your head spinning. That said, this DVD has my absolute favorite abs routine. Challenging! It's called boot camp, and that pretty much sums it up, so if you like that kind of style and are reasonably fit already, this is for you.

10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp
10 Minute Solution: Ultimate Bootcamp by Jessica Smith (DVD - 2010)
$14.98 $6.77