Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2010 9:07:53 AM PST
Speakerboxx says:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14880-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

The first time they've given a 10/10 in 8 years!

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 7:43:00 PM PST
SNJ says:
Kanye is simply a musical genius. Right up with the ranks of Wilco, Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, and Bob Dylan.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 9:44:06 PM PST
N. W. Gray says:
The fact that someone could possibly consider any of those artists "genius" truly frightens me for the future of music.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 1:16:26 PM PST
YoungGrace says:
N. W. Gray: Bob Dylan isn't a genius? I would love to know who is by your standards.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 4:00:16 PM PST
N. W. Gray says:
Someone like John Cage or Scott Walker or Brian Eno or even Frank Zappa, for starters. Bob Dylan's a great artist, no doubt, but he really only excels in genres pioneered by others. A genius, to me, would be someone who completely revolutionizes the way we perceive, think about, and even define music...someone who introduces brand new ideas into music as a whole. Again, Dylan was a great pop musician and perhaps "pop genius" would be an adequate term for artists like he or The Beatles or Brian Wilson, but I feel as if "musical genius" should be reserved for those who influence music as a whole instead of a specific niche genre or sub-genre.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 7:51:15 AM PST
yep, that's right, bob dylan didn't influence music as a whole. nope, not at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 10:24:15 AM PST
N. W. Gray says:
I know that may be hard to believe for those of you who take MTV and Rolling Stone as the gospel, but he didn't. There's a lot more to music than pop musicians and those are the only that Dylan had any sort of influence on. He was influential stylistically, but did absolutely nothing to alter our perception of music. I'm sorry if you can't comprehend that.

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 11:16:44 PM PST
Userdz says:
herp derp did someone say elitist?

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 9:00:20 AM PST
N. W. Gray says:
Education does not equal elitism, but I suppose it's an easy term to slap on someone who actually has an argument.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 9:53:19 AM PST
Jordon says:
10/10 -- as if Kanye is actually a good rapper in addition to an excellent producer. He does make amazing tracks, but I have a problem with his album being "perfect." Mostly that his voice is terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 1:58:27 PM PST
A. Morone says:
I have to say I'm with you on this point. Zimmy was in the right place at the right time and was maybe a genius at perpetuating his own mythology, but his real genius was ripping off the real deal and digesting it for whitey. Sorry fanboys.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 10:03:01 PM PST
djames says:
Wow gray, thanks for straightening me out! I was entirely confused about music until you came along and ladled out enlightenment to the masses!

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 11:46:52 PM PST
Fangride says:
So why is this album achieving anything over a 4, exactly? I really don't understand.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West (Audio CD - 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (376)