5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alps-Specific Guide Book available

Published on December 6, 2001 by C. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for a Specific type of Hiker, December 6, 2001
C. Anderson (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hikes in the Alps (Paperback)
I didn't find this book that helpful, but I was looking for a more serious type of hiking. If you're just planning to do some day hikes, or are looking for a stroll in the mountains to break up some sightseeing then this book could be really useful. But if you're planning a serious hiking trip, then I'd recommend a different book - maybe Walking in the Alps by Kev Reynolds.
My biggest complaint was that it did not provide enough info on long/tough hikes. The format was good - clear, concise with nice lists - but it was not geared towards long, multiday hikes. (It has two or three I think). But it also does not have the same level of info on resturants, pubs, places to stay, as in some of the better guide books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alps-Specific Guide Book available, September 17, 2003
Mark L (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hikes in the Alps (Paperback)
Not only does this book do an excellent job of providing a good range (1/2 day hikes to 10 day treks) of the best hikes (it by no means covers all the hikes available - a task more suited for a set of encyclopedias as opposed to a compact guide book) in the Alps region. The descriptions are both accurate and cover the hikes in sufficient detail to give the reader a good idea of what to expect. They include vertical gain/loss info, approx. hiking time and distances in addition to descriptions of what you'll see along the way. It accurately describes the technical difficulty of the trails and if any special equipment will be required.
I found the descriptions useful not only in deciding what hikes to do but also in deciding what areas to visit and what to see along the way. I plan to use the book again for future trips to the region.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Hikes in the Alps, June 21, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: 100 Hikes in the Alps (Paperback)
This book was amazing! I bought it before my vacation to the Alps and it helped a lot! This book helps you find hotels and nice places to stay while you take your trip. It also gave me good ideas of where to go. The most interesting places. It showed you where the big sites were. At first I didn't want to walk the whole way, but this book showed me how beautiful it was. It has beautiful pictures and really gave you an idea of what it was like. Buy it! It is not very expensive! It was so good that I looked up for more books buy the author of this fantastic book! They were also great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the right guide for average day-hikers, November 13, 2013
Andrea P (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hikes in the Alps (Paperback)
This book is geared toward a hiker far more skilled than the casual day-hiker. The hikes we planned from this book would have taken us as moderate hikers far longer than the book described. We scrapped these plans and hiked according to local maps instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound but dated, April 28, 2013
R. T. Thomson (Canterbury New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hikes in the Alps (Paperback)
This guidebook has the basics right, and good background history and geography, but is looking somewhat dated. Second edition 1992, now 20 years on, would benefit from another revision.

100 Hikes in the Alps
100 Hikes in the Alps by Ira Spring (Paperback - Nov. 1992)
Used & New from: $0.01