‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite flower book!, July 17, 2013
This review is from: 100 Lace Flowers to Crochet: A Beautiful Collection of Decorative Floral and Leaf Patterns for Thread Crochet (Paperback)
I own hundreds of crochet pattern books and well over a dozen devoted to solely to flowers and leaves. This tops them all. The flowers are stylized, and sometimes a bit obscure (who knows what a coffee blossom really looks like?) but they make my fingers itch to reproduce them. I've owned the book for a month now, and I've made 37 of the designs so far...not for anything in particular. I'm now considering joining about 200 various flowers into a "freeform" lacy tank top, maybe including a butterfly or two.

I especially appreciate the leaf variations, and the little tips that make it easy to modify a flower or leaf--or create something entirely different. The color choices are excellent, the photos clear, and the schematics and directions reinforce each other admirably. The brief review of crochet techniques at the beginning will remind even beginners of all they skills they need for this book. The patterns are for beginners through advanced intermediate: some are a bit fiddly and challenging, but the results are worth the effort, and the practice will improve skills.

One caveat: just a few of the schematics use yellow ink, difficult for my old eyes to process. The red, blue, brown, purple, green, etc. diagrams have sufficient contrast on the white page to be legible and helpful, but the yellow ones...urk. It's easy enough to darken the lines on a small portion of the pattern with a gel pen, but unfortunate that I need to do so. Still, I heartily recommend this book, and not just for thread-crocheters. I've made a few flowers with sport and DK weight yarn, and they look adorable on booties, kids' sweaters, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collection of Colorful, Attractive, Decorative (But Somewhat Generic) Flower & Leaf Motifs, June 9, 2013
Caitlin Sainio's book, 100 LACE FLOWERS TO CROCHET, presents a collection of very pretty crocheted flower and leaf motifs. A few of the motifs have double layers, but most are flat, single-layer motifs. You must look elsewhere, if you want patterns for three-dimensional flowers and leaves. However, the "spring tea cozy" and "colorful corsage" projects (photos and captions only, no explicit instructions for actually making the projects) illustrate how three-dimensional effects can be achieved by piling up these motifs (next to and one on top of another).

The flower motifs are beautifully photographed. They are displayed in a gallery with captions that identify the particular flowers represented, such as hibiscus, plumeria, alyssum, petunia, sunflower. In most instances, I cannot identify the flowers simply by looking at the photos--but when prompted by the captions, I can see that the motifs do resemble the named flowers. It's okay with me, that the motifs are somewhat "generic floral", because they are colorful, attractive, and decorative. My favorites are the Pansy, the Sunflower, the Tulip (almost three-dimensional), and the Poinsettia.

The book includes a "Crochet Refresher Course" section that explains basic crochet techniques. Each motif is presented with both written-out instructions and a chart. In addition to the flower motifs, there are generic leaf and stem motifs, as well as some butterflies, a dragonfly, and a caterpillar. Most of the 100 motifs represent different flowers, but the insects and some special leaves (e.g., Coleus) are included in the total count. The flower motifs shown on the book's cover are good examples of what you'll find in the rest of this pretty collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are FUN!!, August 2, 2013
I love the flowers, the leaves and all of it. It's fun! I'm using number 2 yarn (sock yarn) when doing these so I have a bigger flower than what they intended with the Number 10 yarn. But I like something a bit bigger and softer. I've made a number of these for my daughter. I wanted to put them on a pony tail holder or something so she can wear them. Not sure how to do that.. I guess a hot glue gun? But it's been a blast! I love the different designs and I like the way they show them with leaves and stuff.. It makes me want to do a big mural or something and create a garden of some sort. I totally recommend the book. VERY happy with it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for thread flower lovers, June 5, 2013
Pamela Humphreys (Killeen, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I was a little concerned about ordering this book since previous books I've bought on crocheted flowers haven't been what I wanted. Most existing crocheted flower books are for yarn and they just don't seem to do well in thread. But I was very pleased when I got this book. The flowers are all very pretty and with very clear instructions both written and diagrammed. I was happy to see some leaves too, as I always have trouble with them. I like to make doilies adorned with flowers and this book is giving me lots of ideas beyond the ordinary rose. I would recommend this to anyone who crochets with thread and likes flowers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, October 11, 2013
This book is wonderful. There are so many crochet books out there with patterns for crochet flowers, but it's really hard to find a great resource like this one that has stitch diagrams. These diagrams take away any question you may have when you follow the directions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, October 2, 2013
It is excellent. It has the graphic symbol design which I seem to have adapted to easily. I would recommend it for a long time crocheter (as myself) or someone just starting...

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth owning, September 21, 2013
I bought the book exclusively for a maple leaf pattern and have made twenty so far. The patterns are written both in text and diagram. I have tried several of the patterns and the results are just like the pictures, which are detailed and colorful. If you like thread crochet, this is a book worth having on your shelf, even when so many patterns are readily available on the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and exciting, August 22, 2013
I'm very happy with with product. I has some very pretty ideas and is offers so much thoughts how I can use them in my designs. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, easy to follow, great explanations with drawings, August 16, 2013
anna yatskar (Brooklyn, NEW YORK United States) - See all my reviews
From easy to more complicated designs, easy to follow instructions, great for small projects- like postcard creation with one flower to whimsical bouquet designs. The book reviews basic crochet stiches, organizes designs by flower color , mentions the pages where you can find the designs. The foto pictures of the flowers provided in the book are 1:1 - true-to-size, made by size 7 (1.5 mm) hook with size 10 crochet thread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crocheted flowers book, June 24, 2013
Very satisfied with this book. Has beautiful ideas with detailed information on making them. I would order this for gift for anybody who loves to crochet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›