5.0 out of 5 stars our new best friend

3.0 out of 5 stars Five stars if you want a 1300 one star if you want a 1600
Published on August 31, 2000 by giacomo_casanova

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars our new best friend, January 7, 2000
This review is from: 100 Math Tips For the SAT & How to Master Them Now! (Paperback)
When i recieved this book, i was turned off by the cover and assumed it would be boring. Little did I know that once I opened the book I would not put it down for 5 hours. My 16 year old daughter, who is preparing for the SATs and I sat down and were thoroughly entertained and educated for the whole night. We were filled with laughter and excitment with each page. Who would have figured math would be so much fun. We both felt like Charles Gulotta was speaking directly to us. It is a great book and we recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 SAT Math Tips and How to Master Them Now!, March 4, 2001
A reader (Riverside, CA) - See all my reviews
Get ready to pass the SAT with a high score! I could not believe it when my mom bought this book for me. I didn't think anything could help me. I took Algebra, Geometry and Trignometry, in high school, and I was an average student. I wanted to go to college, and I knew that if I was going to go to a good college, I would have to attain a high score on the SAT. Well, my mom insisted that I read this book, because one of her friend's kid read this book, and I guess he wasn't too good in math either, and when he got his SAT score back, his highest score was in the math portion of the SAT.
Well, I finally did read this book, and I could not believe how I was getting a refresher course from this book. As I started to delve into this workbook, I felt that the author of the book was right here with me, directing me. All the math that I took in high school, all came back to me. The author of the book, seem to really know his stuff, (especially what was going to be on the math SAT). The author seemed like a buddy (his way of writing). I felt like a friend was helping me with my math problems.
When the time came to take the Math SAT, I was ready. I could not believe how easy I thought that the math portion of the test was. I just flew through the test, it was just so easy for me, due to the fact that I read this workbook. Believe me, all you high school students, (and parents too) do yourself a favor, and get this book! I know that if it wasn't for this book, I would not be attending USC this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually made studying for the GRE enjoyable!, August 2, 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book because the GRE prep books had shown me that my math skills are terrible. 100 SAT Math Tips covers much of the same material that is in the GRE books but Gulotta's writing motivates you to improve rather than belittling you for what you don't know. The book includes insight into how standardized tests use trick questions to test your thinking skills, not just math skills. Cartoons and funny anecdotes made me laugh out loud while I was working on the problems! Just what you need if you are suffering from math or test-takers anxiety!

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal at 15 cents a problem...., December 20, 2003
Bao (Appleton, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I am far from being a math genius, but math has always clicked for me. For my sister, however, math meant sitting down, solving, and hitting herself afterwards when she remembers some stupid mistake that could have been prevented. For her, the knowledge was there, but the connection wasn't. Often I would try to help her solve math problems only to frustrate the both of us.
While shopping online, I remembered that Charles Gulotta's 500 Key Words to the SATs book was exceptional. Taking the leap of faith, I bought the Math Book as a "gift" for my sister. She wasn't thrilled but after much pestering, she reluctantly agreed to give it a chance.
I was thrilled when my sister looked at the first few problems and was able to fully understand them after reading Charles' explanation. Curious, I grabbed the book from my sister and was awed by Gulotta's ability to lucidly explain each problem. He was able to anticipate many of the SAT's tricks and even carefully explained ways to avoid such pitfalls. Often while studying, I would hear my sister gasp as she realizes that Gulotta had predicted her error.
I am satisfied with the quality of this book and recommend it to others. SAT math isn't complicated, just tricky. Gulotta seems to know his stuff when it comes to avoiding these pitfalls.

3.0 out of 5 stars Five stars if you want a 1300 one star if you want a 1600, August 31, 2000
"giacomo_casanova" (the Republic of Venice) - See all my reviews
Don't bother with this book if you're even close to being a math enthusiast. If you are you would know all this material implicitly. There are only 130 problems total and even a low-grade virtuoso of the mathematical philosophies could finish the problems in a couple hours. The people who should be getting this book are those who have waited until the last minute to prepare for the SAT. Don't even bother with this for the PSAT. If you wait until the last minute to prepare for the PSAT and need this book, you aren't going to make the cutoff (for the National Merit Scholarship program). Believe me.
You have to invest months of assiduous practice to significantly improve quickie quantatative problem solving skills. A book like this would just be a starting point. I would suggest the fatter and more challenging problem books from Barron's, Arco, Schaum's, etc. Solve 50 problems a night for six months or a year.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way to get your feet wet, January 23, 2004
I liked this book a lot because it wasn't intimidating. A lot of SAT books are HUGE, and you may feel as if you're drowning in material. This book quickly introduces you to the types of problems you'll see on the SAT, and does it in a way that's fun and makes you want to read on. You'll be feeling better about the whole SAT experience before you know it. The math in this book is not terribly difficult, so it's not for people who want to learn advanced mathetmatics. It's more about how to APPROACH SAT math problems, and the pitfalls most students fall prey to (far more invaluable than a math book on the SAT, believe me). However, the problems in the book are explained very comprehensively, so if you're phobic about math at all, this is perfect for you. I still recommend other books in addition to this one, because it contains no actual practice tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Go Wrong With This One!, May 20, 2001
Annie "greekwoman99" (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for any student preparing for the SAT's. Gulotta cuts through all of the hype about this misrepresented test and does it with a book that is far less thick than most of the telephone-book sized study guides out there. I recommend it to all of my students and it has given them confidence to see through the tricks and traps of the SAT's.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me a great deal in the SAT math section., August 14, 1999
By A Customer
When I was taking the SAT in 9th grade I didn't think I was going to do that well but when I got the 100 SAT math tips and 500 SAT words and how to remeber them forever prep books they both contributed to my 1300!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best SAT Math Prep Book I've Seen!!, January 24, 1999
By A Customer
This is a great SAT math book. It boosted my score 80 points in a month-- no kidding! Everything just clicked. I highly recommend this for everyone taking the SAT. The first SAT must-have I've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly helpful and not just for the SAT!, January 19, 2009
I used this book to as a study tool for the Praxis I exam. "100 Math Tips for the SAT" provides a variety of problems and supplemental explanations for these problems. As I went through the problems in the book, I was initially stumped by some. However, as I read through Gulotta's explanations and instructions, I found myself immediately understanding what I was doing wrong. Gulotta not only predicted the mistakes I was making, but took me through step by step instructions on how to avoid such mistakes. Gulotta doesn't take for granted the fact that not everyone is a math genius. Problems are broken down so clearly that even someone as "un-math savvy" as myself can learn. I definitely recommend this book to anyone studying for the math section of the Praxis exam. Thanks to this book, I went into the exam feeling confident and left the exam feeling confident!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

100 Math Tips For the SAT & How to Master Them Now!
100 Math Tips For the SAT & How to Master Them Now! by Charles Gulotta (Paperback - Dec. 1996)
Used & New from: $0.01