5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!
Published 17 months ago by The Happy Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep thoughts
This book is for the deep thinker, a person who can process different theories. Their was a need to feel sympathetic towards the author in hoping she finds peace and God in her life.
Published 21 months ago by chrystal

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, April 20, 2013
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one sitting and was glad I did so during the day with other people in the house! 100 Unfortunate Days isn't like any other book I've ever read. It's strange, creepy and frightening, but also really interesting (I especially liked Day 43 with the symbols - is it true?). The whole time I was reading it I felt a bit like an intruder, or as if I'd picked up someone's private diary and was going to get caught at any minute reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference an unfortunate day can make..., November 26, 2011
I began reading 100 Unfortunate Days over a month ago. I read more than half, late at night, in one sitting. I felt an immediate kinship with the protagonist. I asked myself, had Crowe inexplicably been inside my head extracting images? Or had the worms squished their way inside, muddying up my brain? I had an uneasy feeling that the worms were already there, dormant, and 100 Unfortunate Days disturbed them. That night I had a dream or a vision of an old ghost-man smiling at me, on the verge of a laugh, at the foot of my bed. I didn't read any more for 7 days. Then i read a bit past day 75. This time i was visited by a demon troll who tried to take away my breath as i slept. I didn't read again for 14 days. I finished it today and I agree with Crowe, there should be a disclaimer before Day 1 because I am fairly certain that parts of this book may have been infected by the devil and in turn may contaminate you. That's balderdash, right? Maybe. If you are a skeptic and take this work as pure fiction from a very talented, highly imaginative authoress, go ahead and turn the page...and wish me luck tonight while i sleep...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, October 1, 2011
I read an ARC and have to say, it was a page turner! When I say this is a dark book, I mean it. 100 days is the diary account of someone who may or may not be real. Someone who clearly looks at life differently. It's left up to you, the reader, to decided where they fall. I can't say enough how great a read this book is. You will not be disappointed by picking this up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book unlike any other, March 26, 2013
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
This book is definitely a page turner. I've never read anything like it which is what kept me interested and curious through out the book. I liked reading about her opinions on several topics, and also about the spells and tarot cards, which is something that is completely new to me. Crowe is brutally honest which is an excellent quality to have as a writer. I look forward to more of her work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, March 30, 2013
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
Creepy goodness. A bit like reliving some of the horrors of Lyme disease, but I couldn't put it down! Can't wait to read her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Unfortunate Days, February 12, 2013
Review of
100 Unfortunate Days
Written by Penelope Crowe

Reviewed by R. Murry

When reading Ms. Crowe's Days, Salvador Dali's name came to mind. He always haunts me every once in a while. Dali's painting The Persistence of Memory, an omnipotence of a dream and an unconscious, shows in oil what Penelope demonstrates in her writing.

She writes with a natural surrealistic aptitude that reminds me of Dali's paintings. Example of this is in her don't likes list: I don't like Yeast infections...or...American Idol, said in the same breath. Ms. Crowe does this with a smile in her presentation, knowing she hit a nerve in someone's mind.

Her Days, 100 of them, represent many attitudes, one of which is the theme of Self Reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson and his Transcendentalists would be proud of her. Faith in God or the after-life is not all that is needed to survive underlines her episodes with religion. I posed the question: Is Penelope a Gnostic?

100 Unfortunate Days is not for the faint of heart, overly religious, or weak minded person. One must have an open mind to read each individual Day. She doesn't hole back any punches on any of the subjects to the point you may feel insulted. Just forget about it and more on to the next Day. It's worth it and you'll be intellectually stimulated on another Day.

I paid $.99 for a read that I will remember. Penelope Crowe, whatever her real name is, will haunt me, as Dali has since the Sixties. I paid a dollar for a haunt - What a deal?!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, March 18, 2013
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting reading. Makes me wonder if this is someones real journal. Could be a friend of mines, could even be mine. Whether real or not it describes some of the types of thoughts we sometimes think each day, and are too afraid to say out loud, and would not dare ever write down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read in 2012, December 20, 2012
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
"Someone said we should really be judged by how we act when we think no one is looking. Can anyone say they are good? Maybe WE are the devil..."

I wish I could tell you that whenever I read a book, it's hard for me to put the book down. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that. Many of the books I start, I don't finish. At my age, if a book doesn't grab me by page 50, I'm done with it.

100 Unfortunate Days not only grabbed me, it pushed me down and held me down. It is, by far, the best book I've read in 2012.

Penelope Crowe takes us through a 100 day, first person, brutally honest journey.

"And now we have diseases that can't be cured with antibiotics--super-bugs that are going to kill us like before we had antibiotics. It's just a matter of time. Soon the drive-thru eye operations will enable us to see better than before--maybe better than anyone has ever seen. We will have x-ray vision that allows us to see into the souls of others. We will be able to know who is filled with poison and who is not. Then we can get rid of all the people that are toxic and we won't ever have to worry about them again."

This appears in Day 3. I'm not perfect. I can be downright evil at times. But I can admit it. Can you?

"Even if you don't figure out what's wrong, it never ever, ever, ever stops. You wake up again and again and you wonder if the jail time for murder would be worth it. But oh, the baby is so adorable! The most beautiful thing anyone has ever seen--and it is. And your husband can't figure why you are such an idiot. Why can't you like this like everyone else? The baby is perfect and healthy and beautiful and you should be ashamed of yourself. And you are. You are. You are. And now every hour seems like five hours and you do anything to get through the day."

It's passages like these, frank and in-your-face, that make this book so brilliant.

"I heard that you cannot feel pain during an orgasm, and I told my friend. He didn't believe me, and we argued a little, and then he had sex with his girlfriend, even though he wanted to have sex with me, and he told her to stick him with a pin when he started to come. She did and he told me it hurt so much."

Revenge feels good. You know it does.

"Demons blind you against what is right and make you not really care about anything after a while. You will be able to make excuses for yourself for just about anything."

As Penelope reveals the demons, she forces us to confront our own. On the one hand, I want to hug Penelope for doing this. On the other hand, I'm afraid she would put a spider in my soup if she were ever mad at me. That's how honest this book is. We need honest books. We need books that cut to the chase and bypass the crap. I'm sick of the crap. I've been sick of the crap for a long time.

By the way, Penelope doesn't always follow grammar rules, and if you care, you're missing the forest for the trees.

Thank you, Penelope, for a brilliant book.

Please note: Some of her excellent drawings appear in the book. (In fact, I won one during a blog hop. I'll be displaying it up at our summer cottage.) However, you'll barely notice the drawings. The writing is too good to focus on those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, March 7, 2013
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
I struggled to craft this review having been blown away by One Hundred Unfortunate Days. You don't just read this tale, you descend into the thoughts of a mad woman... or is she? By the second paragraph I realized I was reading something very special. It was born of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's classic gothic tale, "The Yellow Wallpaper," and yet so much powerful. We take a longer journey with Ms. Crowe's protagonist into the darkest corners, closets, and gardens of her life.

This is not traditional writing. The mental decline and the breakdown of one woman left me with the feeling that perhaps I was looking through the wrong end of a telescope. I've read that Charlotte Perkins Gilman's works of women's literature paved the way for future writers such as Alice Walker and Sylvia Plath. I like to add Penelope Crowe's name to that highly-regarded and singularly unique list.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than A Little Something To Think About..., December 7, 2012
This review is from: 100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated (Kindle Edition)
WOW! 100 Unfortunate Days is clearly the most UNIQUE read I've ever devoured. From page to page (diary entry to diary entry) I found myself on a roller coaster of emotion. Some of the entries made me angry, some made me think, some were pure entertainment,and some even changed my mind about a few things. I can't really review this book as you would topically review fiction, because it is truly one of a kind. You can't help but be engrossed in the thoughts of this mystery woman's complicated mind and compelled to keep reading. Ms. Crowe's 100 Unfortunate Days is a page-turner and an EXPERIENCE all horror lovers, psychology buffs, and bizarre seekers should not miss!

100 Unfortunate Days - Illustrated