5.0 out of 5 stars Titanium

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Much to Offer
Published 4 months ago by Robert D. Pires

5.0 out of 5 stars Titanium, July 8, 2014
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
Sia has had an unconventional trajectory; diagnosed with Graves disease, boyfriend killed in a car accident, addiction to drugs and alcohol, attempted suicide. Plus, she hates fame so much that she poses with a paper bag over her head, and performs with her back facing audiences. Responsible for a plethora of international pop smashers for some of pop's biggest names, and while working on many other projects, there was still time to produce an own record. As the title and cover art might reveal, Sia goes back to her darker side for this, her 6th studio album, spiralling into destructive depths of weakness, vulnerability, desperation and struggles, all returning points for her.

Longtime fans know what to expect from her, new followers are probably curious to learn about the person behind the colossal hits. Perhaps all too aware of what the public wants from her, Sia gives the public exactly what they want. She offers strong and well produced pop ballads, some uptempo tracks, and the occasional slower numbers, all accompanied with her unique and always impressive voice, the sound of someone singing for their life. She is dabbling with pop, experimenting once again with indie pop, electronica, acid jazz, soul, dance, and trip-hop. Produced by Lily Allen's former collaborator Greg Kurstin, they have sculpted a beautiful masterpiece of an album.

Her enrapturing talent and torment shines throughout "1000 Forms of fear"'s 49 minutes. Very often I found myself paying more attention to the lyric metaphors and the dramatic vocals, rather than enjoying the songs. Sia has a certain vibe in her music which, although it cannot be missed, it tends to overshadow the sonic excellence of this album. First single, "Chandelier" is indicative: a gorgeously reggae-electronica fused number about a never ending party life, with Sia's titanic voice bursting open the chorus like a cannonball; a closer reading between the lines makes clear that it is a song about alcoholism. It is obvious that the artist writes genius texts, this is her biggest talent, combined with her distinctive voice.

Built around sterling melodies, standouts "Big girls cry", "Straight to the knife", "Elastic heart", "Fire meet gasoline, "Cellophane", and "Dressed in black", they convey emotion that is unmatched by any other contemporary artist. Despite her personal hardship, Sia is able to produce exceptional power balladry and intelligent lyricism. "1000 Forms of fear" rings true to its dramatic title. It is a consistent, brilliant, deep pop record, by one of pop's best artists. After producing so many hits over the years, perhaps one's fear would be Sia's transformation into an mainstream artist. As long as she insists on performing wearing that paper back on her head, there is absolutely no fear of that happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I've Heard This Year!, July 8, 2014
I rarely write reviews because I just don't have the time. However, I will make time to praise Sia, on this her sixth album and honestly, one of her best. I've been a fan of Sia's long before she went "mainstream". She is absolutely one of the most underrated performers of my generation. Her voice is captivating, with raw emotion that is sometimes full of hope, pain, despair, love, longing and fear. The feelings that she envelopes the listener in are awe-inspiring in the sense that her music can make my heart swell, my eyes mist and my brain race with a plethora of ideas. I listened to her album a week ago on iTunes Radio and I was hooked. Afterwards, i listed to all of her albums (I own everything she has ever created and released) and compared her new album to those gems. I must say, her vocals on 1000 Forms of Fear just hit all of the right emotional notes, her lyrics conjure up events in one's own life and I must say, Sia deserves a standing ovation and a Grammy. It is rare that I can listen to an album from the first song to the last without skipping a song. I have listened to 1000 Forms of Fear about 15 times already, no skipping needed. Beautiful album, beautiful woman, beautiful soul...thanks Sia for being so brave and putting your heart on display, you have created, in my opinion, a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1000 Forms of Greatness!, July 8, 2014
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
My taste in music varies from rock to pop to rap to metal to R&B to indie genres to pretty much anything whether its popular or unknown. Well Sia Furler, shortened to Sia is one of those rare artists. She has been around for years and is just now hitting it big in the US. I came to know her as a songwriter who penned many big hits for many huge artists. I also knew one of her early songs "Breathe Me" thanks to its masterful usage in the series finale of the show "Six Feet Under". But still, even though she was the puppeteer behind multiple successful songs, she never had her own song headlined by herself. She was almost a legend in the music business. She had a hit with "Titanium", but the credit mostly went to David Guetta. She had a hit with Flo Rida, but again, credit wasn't typically thrown in her direction. Well things took a turn when she released her catchy and powerful song "Chandeliers" along with it's viral video. Her depiction as a great singer who didn't want her face exposed during live performances also caught much attention. Well I'm the type of guy that still buys CDs on a regular basis if the CD is worth it. I needed some new music and found out this album just came out and was on sale, so I made a impulse buy with it. At first I thought I was gonna feel less masculine buying it, but after giving the album a few listens, I realized this was a modern masterpiece. Here is a track by track review.

1. Chandelier: The song is a powerful lead single with a chorus that many will cover and sing along to at concerts. Though a lot of the lyrics again are aimed at females, I still love the song and feel the chorus each time it hits. Definitely a worthy song to kick off her long awaited recognition around the world. 9.5/10
2. Big Girls Cry: When I saw the title of this song on the track list I immediately thought I was going to skip this song because, you know, I'm not a girl. But then I listened to it. Its a powerful song that tells a story. Thats how I approach this song. I'm listening to the story of a girl delivered through great vocals. My girlfriend would probably relate more to these types of lyrics of course. Her singing in this one really reminds me of her amazing performance in "Breathe Me". Very emotional song. I proudly listen to this song as an experience! 9.5/10
3. Burn The Pages: This is a very uplifting upbeat pop song. A good one. The synths and pianos and of course the singing. Another catchy chorus but not as powerful as some of her songs that really showcase her range. Still a great song with many layers. 9/10
4. Eye Of The Needle: This song contains her signature strange but beautifully powerful vocal performances. People without prior knowledge of Sia will think she is trying to sound like Katy Perry or Rihanna, but in reality those artists took cues from Sias songs and this one will be another influential track! The "whoah oh oh" parts are infectious. Great emotional lyrics and production. This could be another good single. One of her best songs. 9.5/10
5. Hostage: This one seriously sounds like Sias take on a Neon Trees song but with much better vocals. At first I thought the chorus was too weird, but toward the end things get stripped down in a beautiful way and I appreciated the chorus more and more after that! Not the best song, but still a great catchy track. 9/10
6. Straight For The Knife: Another song that my girlfriend would relate to more lyrically. But aside from personal perspective I can appreciate the message of this slower song. Not one of my favorites but still a great slow burner ballad that I'm sure many others will like. 8.5/10
7. Fair Game: The style of this song really reminds me of Sara Bareilles. Another slow song in the first part, but much better than the previous track. The vocals again showcase her great range. Towards the end the production gets quicker without turning too upbeat in a beautiful fashion. The final minute really completes this experience of a song. 9.5/10
8. Elastic Heart: This is the best song on the album in my personal opinion. The PBR&B style of the song is amazingly perfect. The vocals again bring back the heartbreaking beauty of "Colour the Small One". The lyrics are dark and uplifting at the same time. Expect to hear many covers of the song on Youtube and Competitions. Could be a good single choice! 10/10
9. Free The Animal: There is something about this song that brings to mind the 80s such as Madonna. The chorus is anthem worthy. There are a lot of distortions that work really well in the track. The bridge part is quick and great to lead to the final chorus. I really love the small layers of the song you have to really listen for. Great club track! 9.5/10
10. Fire Meet Gasoline: Wow the great tracks just keep coming up in this album. I keep bringing up the vocals because I can never praise Sia enough about it. Not only is this one catchy, but its so powerful! I know I keep talking about catchy choruses, but this one is truly amazing. I personally think her performance on this song makes Adele look like a karaoke singer. That's really saying something. Another perfect song and worthy single. 10/10
11. Cellophane: This one has another much darker tone to go with the dark lyrics. But her style is so perfect that she turns it into a gorgeous track. The thumping but subtle beat reminds me of a heart beat. At first wasn't one of my favorites, but now it's without a doubt one of her best performances. 10/10
12. Dressed In Black: I was again at first reluctant because of the title, but what I found was another beautiful track when I listened. The instruments and production are some of the best on the entire album. This is really an epic song to end the album perfectly! 6 minutes goes by fast with this song. 9.5/10

So this was one of the most cohesive albums in this genre I've heard. It doesn't just sound like a collection of random hits that have no relation to each other. It sounds like a full album of songs that have this consistent vibe throughout. There are no duds or fillers at all in the mix! Each song has this musical or vocal element to it that I can't describe, but it keeps coming back in different songs of the album either in an entire track or as a smaller aspect to compliment things. Like I said, people who didn't know of Sia before will hear many songs on the album and compare her to many contemporary artists today, but little do they know these artists are the ones who were influenced by Sia herself! Not only is this Sias breakthrough album that will definitely sell well and create hits, but it is also possibly her best album since "Colour The Small One", maybe even better! She seriously has one of the best singing voices I've ever heard in my life. What a surprise this was. For me this is a contender for Album of The Year! This is a modern classic. Anyone who loves great singing and music can enjoy her powerful vocals and infectious style. Definitely worth a purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars The crossroad of hurt and joy, July 13, 2014
Soner (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
Sia's new effort "1000 Forms of Fear" may not be groundbreaking or novel given her discography but it delivers more than what any pop album these days is typically supposed to offer. The new album is a cross between "Some People Have Real Problems" and "We're Born" capitalizing on the somber and emotional moments of the former and the joyous and exuberant moments of the latter. Songs such as "Burn the Pages" and "Hostage" picks up from where "We're Born" left off and sound like the natural next steps in Sia's music direction. But the new album reveals its stronger tricks among its slower moments. "Big Girls Cry", "Straight to The Knife" and "Eye of The Needle" are heartfelt, raw, and lyrically poignant. Right on these songs, Sia's voice shows its strength by vacillating between clear notes to vague sounds in order to communicate her emotional journey. ''Elastic Heart'' is probably the best Sia song ever with its examplary chaotic combination. What makes "1000 Forms of Fear" a stellar pop record is that it remains dark even in its relatively more lighthearted songs (e.g.,"Fire Meets Gasoline"). The album indeed doesn't have a single dull moment and all of the songs have the potential to hit the airwaves. Sadly, this last point is also what precludes Sia's latest effort to be a masterpiece. The album plays too safe and it feels rather incomplete and restrained. Sia doesn't hold back to write about her feelings but this time around, she sounds almost too vulnerable and fragile to let her listeners in. Instead of going experimental on her uniqueness, she stands distant and detached and hesitates to provide the full range of emotions she is going through. If only the album featured more tracks like "Dressed in Black" and "Fair Game" but even at her most conservative and reserved version, Sia manages to pull of a strong pop album and remains as one of the most prolific and intriguing pop artists around.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've ever heard anything by Sia and like it, this album will blow your brain, July 21, 2014
I have listened to this album several times, as I've found it scarily addicting. If you've ever heard anything by Sia and like it, this album will blow your brain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sia is back!, July 8, 2014
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
This material is exactly what we Sia fans appreciate from her. I wasn't sure what to expect as I found her last record too poppy and overproduced. This release is superbly written and performed, and her singing and melodies have never been better. As soon as I heard her soaring vocals on the first track (Chandelier) I knew we were in for a solid release. There are a couple filler tracks (Hostage, Feed the Animal) that I skip over but every other track is consistent with this exceptional release from a very gifted artist. I totally recommend this. Thank you Sia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Many shades of color behind a gray palette..., August 19, 2014
jdealy999 (Carson City, Nevada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
It has been 4 years since Sia Furler released her 2010 LP, "We Are Born." But the long hiatus certainly paid off -- she's back, more angry and defiant than ever before. And she completely shreds her vocals to the max -- NO HOLDS BARRED!! Part of that credit belongs to the production value of Greg Kurstin (he's responsible for producing LP's by both Lily Allen and the pop duo The Bird & The Bee).

To some listeners, Sia might be showing a façade of sorts; but lyrically, she completely lets loose her vulnerable, heartbreaking side. For example, on "Big Girls Cry": "I may cry, ruining my makeup/Wash away all the things you've taken/I don't care if I don't look pretty". She's also not afraid to go right for the jugular: "You went straight for the knife/And I prepared to die/Your blade it shines, looked me straight in the eye/You turned the gas on high..." And to show the listeners that she TRULY means business, there's this added bonus: "Detonate me/Shoot me like a cannonball.../Decapitate me, hit me like a baseball..." Oooh...so good, it hurts!

But not ALL of Sia's songs are completely melodramatic or brooding. She shows her fun side melodically on such tracks as "Chandelier", "Hostage", and the Diplo produced "Elastic Heart." (Diplo is one half of the duo Major Lazer.) However, by the end of the album, she appears to hit complete "rock bottom" -- emotionally drained -- before a mysterious person that's mentioned in the closer "Dressed In Black" picks her heart right back up again.

Sia's work has always been a cornucopia of brilliant, shimmering, restless instrumentation/lyrics. And this new LP only shows how much she's grown up since then. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare Gem, January 25, 2015
I discovered this album and artist through one song. I had never heard of Sia in my life. While listening to the samples I took a chance and bought the whole thing, which I RARELY do and I could not be more pleased with the entire thing and to be honest, I can't explain why. Her lyrics are thought provoking and speak deeply to the different states of the human heart and the different experiences that cause those states. And the music is different too, very mature for lack of a better word. It grabs you like a pop song does, I mean it's catchy, but the music keeps you because it's not pop, it's something much deeper. I can't explain it except to say I am satisfied after listening to this album. It's one of those albums where almost every song is as good as the first one that caught your attention.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Much to Offer, October 27, 2014
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
I'm an "old school" Sia fan. One who owns "Colour the Small One" and "We Are Born." However, I found myself lost on "1000 Forms of Fear," wading in mostly unmemorable fare that finds Sia wailing on one electronic song that melds indistinguishably into the next. It's nothing to do with writing her off as a sell-out or anything (I'm actually really happy that she's gotten more mainstream popularity), the material just doesn't have much to offer. Besides the stellar "Chandelier," the similarly singable "Big Girls Cry," and "Eye of the Needle," not much else eschews repeat listening.

Sad, since I was hoping for another "Breathe Me" or "I'm In Here."

5.0 out of 5 stars Sia shines bright like a diamond., July 9, 2014
D. C. Stolk (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1000 Forms of Fear (Audio CD)
The enigmatic Australian singer-songwriter Sia Furler makes a courageous return from the sidelines with her sixth studio album “1000 Forms Of Fear,” which follows on 2010′s “We Are Born.” In recent years, she avoided the limelight deliberately, but behind the scenes she was responsible for a number of huge hits. For example, songs from Sia Furler could be found on albums by Katy Perry (Prism), Britney Spears (Britney Jean), Beyonce (Beyonce), Kylie Minogue (Kiss Me Once), Shakira (Shakira) and Jennifer Lopez (AKA). Some of those big hits were Rihanna’s “Diamonds,” David Guetta’s “Titanium” and Ne-Yo's "Let Me Love You" to name just of few.

The Sia-signature - like the vocal dips and mid-tempo melancholy of "Diamonds" - that the now 39-year-old singer and songwriter stamped on those hits, can be found once again on this album. Songs like “Burn The Pages,” “Straight For The Knife,” “Hostage” and “Big Girls Cry” sound as if they were intended, respectively, for Katy Perry, Lana Del Rey, Shakira or Rihanna. Furler wrote most of these songs with Greg Kurstin, who produced this album and also worked on recent albums by Lily Allen, Lykke Li, Tegan & Sara and Pink. This collaboration provides for a dozen irresistible pop melodies, although Furler’s reluctance to promote this album - she does minimal press and refuses to be photographed - might be the only obstacle for global success, although her impressive vocal acrobatics should do the work for her.

What struck me the most about “1000 Forms Of Fear,” is that how this sublime record is a personal victory for the once addicted and suicidal singer. Just really listed to the song “Chandelier,” which sounds like a pop anthem, but take note of the darkness at its center, with lyrics like “Help me, I’m holding on for dear life” and ““Sun is up, I’m a mess.” Sia rejected fame and retreated from public view, which allowed her to find her true self, and now experiences a triumphant comeback. The militant “Dressed In Black” and understated “Cellophane” are main examples of this and also the songs in which she excels vocally. You may not be able to see what Sia looks like on the cover of her album - besides the singer’s signature haircut, a blonde bob with blunt bangs - but she sure sounds like a superstar.

1000 Forms of Fear
1000 Forms of Fear by Sia (Audio CD - 2014)