4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For A Sustained Outdoor Fire

Published on February 20, 2012 by Tom Kachel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Burning and Lots of Ash Deposits, February 20, 2012
Tom Kachel (Rockville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enviro Log 1000364 3-Pound Enviro-Log (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I have only purchased these Enviro-Logs locally, but believe it is necessary for other consumers to understand what they are getting with these "green" starter logs. If you have used Duraflame logs, then you should understand the saying "you get what you pay for!" I purchased the Enviro-Logs at Whole Foods because that was my only option. Well these logs are horrible for the following reasons:

1. Hard to light; it is suggested by the manufacturer to remove outside wrapper and use said wrap to ignite the log. The problem is that the log falls apart and makes a mess.

2. The logs do not burn hot so it is not a good starter log before adding firewood.

3. The remaining ash deposit is twice the amount than other brands like Duraflame.

If you are a "greenie," then I respectfully understand your desire to use Enviro-Logs. But if you want to use a "faux log" for ease or as a starter log, then I suggest using Duraflame or other generic logs that you can buy at any supermarket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For A Sustained Outdoor Fire, May 20, 2011
I am clearing dead trees and weeds, including many Kudzu vines, out of a nearby woods. Rather than a large fire, which might be unsafe, I prefer a small-to-medium-sized fire, continuing to pile stuff on as it burns. The 3-lb. Enviro-Log keeps the fire going for about 2.5 hours, even if the material is green or damp. (For the last hour, the fire is much smaller.) I'm very happy with the boxes of Enviro-Log that I have used, and I will use many more before I'm done.

I use two or more Enviro-Logs at a time, spread out on a large fire grate.

It's true, as some reviewers mention, that small pieces tend to fall off as you unwrap it. So simply unwrap as follows: Lay the Enviro-Log on the fire grate with the wrapper's seam facing up. Pull the wrapper apart at the seam and spread it out. The wrapper is now a large cup that is holding the log and any pieces that came loose.

To give the fire a good start, I pile a couple of feet of biomass on top of the Enviro-Logs, then pour some lighter fluid or torch fuel onto the whole thing. So I am using the Enviro-Logs as a fire maintainer, not a fire starter. I did try the 5-lb. version as the sole fire starter one time when there was no wind, and they worked fine.

I have done a price-vs.-weight comparison of all the wax-type fire logs and fire starters, and Enviro-Log is the best value. Their 5-lb. log is a few cents less expensive per pound than their 3-lb. log, even though I lower the 3-lb. shipping costs by ordering two cases at a time. Do your own calculations; I think you will get similar results.

10/14/11 update: This review is now out of date because so many other brands of wax logs have appeared in stores. Most of them do not require unwrapping and are therefore easier to use than Enviro-Log. I have removed one star from this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like a lot of ash? This is your log., December 6, 2011
KW (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased these along side some "normal" Duraflame logs because they were almost $2 a box cheaper. Tried them out. Started OK and burned OK (started easier than a Duraflame, didn't burn as well.) But they maintained their shape and expanded during the burn. It was almost like getting compressed newspaper. After burning three of these our fireplace was full of fluffy ash. I've never seen anything like it. The Duraflame logs will burn away and leave a little. These seem to leave more material than you start with. Might be a great fire starter or for use in an outdoor fire pit, but not recommended for a small indoor fireplace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great firestarter, February 19, 2011
Ron D (New England) - See all my reviews
I use these to start my fires. I have a wood burning stove called the Lopi Answer. The Answer is the smallest stove Lopi makes. Often I have trouble keeping larger wood logs lit in it. I take two Enviro-Logs and place them about six inches apart. Then, roll up some news paper and put that in between them. I add the largest wood on top of the Enviro-Logs and light the paper. Since the Enviro-Logs burn hotter than wood, I'm able to burn the largest logs without any problems and I just continue with the wood throughout the night. It works great.

1.0 out of 5 stars enviro logs, January 17, 2013
these are the WORST logs that i have ever bought!!! they wouldn't stay lit, we had to repeatedly keep lighting them.
2 of the box of 6 never really caught fire--they lit on the ends and only smoked in the middle for an entire hour!!!!
i will never buy these again and i will tell everyone i know not to buy them either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!!!!, February 12, 2014
Every bad thing people are saying about this product is true. Leaves huge amounts of ash and a terrible smell afterwards.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for wood stoves, December 28, 2012
R. Lew (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought these locally because they were cheaper than regular wax logs (such as Duraflame). These logs are merely ground wax cardboard material pressed together to make a log. If you open one up, they are coarsely pressed together, rather than processed like particle board. I can see them being used for an outdoor fire as they need lots of air to burn completely. But in a wood stove, even with the throttle wide open, these things will go out unless you get them really hot by leaving the door open. Because of this tendency, they tend to smoke a lot unless adequate air is available for combustion. They can last a long time, but the claim that they burn hotter than wood is not my observation. They just burn so-so. I would not use these as a fire starter for wood logs either. Also, they have a tendency to leave a lot of ash and a strong lingering smoky smell afterwards. After trying a few of these, I went back to using wax logs. These logs were $20 for a box of nine 5 lbs logs. The wax logs were $25 for a box of nine 5 lbs logs. For the price difference, wax logs are worth the extra money as they burn much hotter, burn more completely, are easier to start, and consume far less air when burning cleanly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, great product!, January 17, 2009
Henry Lee (Trumbull, CT USA) - See all my reviews
Not sure how the previous reviewer could have given these such a poor rating, but for me, they work great. For starters, they are safer than burning traditional wood, which is a great start. If you have a fire in your fireplace all the time, these probably are not the best bang for your buck, but if you are like us and only have a fire in the fireplace from time to time (once or twice a week on Winter nights) these are perfect.

These things are terribly easy to use. You tear off the wrapper and throw them in the fireplace, using the wrapper as kindling, and they light right up. You could even just light the log itself if you want, for a slower start.

I recommend using two logs at a time to get a full-sized fire. These will last for 3-4 hours, and as they crumble apart the flames get larger (similar to when you stoke a natural wood fire). At times, the flames were huge from the two logs - at other times, they were fairly subdued - but in my experience this isn't much different than regular wood fires. These do leave more ashes behind than a Duraflame, but obviously much better for the environment and your health/safety.

The only negatives I can think of are price (more expensive than bulk purchased wood) and appearance. They have a waxier look than a duraflame, so for someone who really cares about the look of wood in a fire, it could be a drawback - otherwise it's a great use of recycling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible log - terrible smell, January 17, 2012
These logs are just terrible. We are still trying to get the smell out of our house. It smells like we burnt garbage in our fire place. The logs burned extremely poorly to the point we just had to dump water on the dying log. But the log wouldn't die. We removed the log stand and cleaned out the entire fireplace from tons of ash to try and get rid of the smell and, 36 hours later, it still smells horrible. We are filing a formal complaint with the company and returning the un-used logs to The Home Depot. Avoid burning this "garbage" in your home at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST. LOG. EVER. Don't take it if its free., April 8, 2014
Jabberwocky (Raleigh, NC, US) - See all my reviews
Well, no wonder it's been discontinued.
This thing won't catch fire unless you use a blowtorch.
And it stinks, since it just smolders (after trying to ignite using
lots of newspaper).