Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1001 All-natural Secrets to a Pest-free Property
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 10, 2006
First the good. This book provides some very interesting cures for pest problems that I haven't found elsewhere and that may very well work as indicated.

Now the bad. This book provides some cures that are just plain wrong and may even be dangerous. For example, on page 23 Dr. Bader refers to Sevin as an organic insecticide containing pyrethrums and diatomaceous earth -- It's not, actually it's a synthetic insecticide containing carbaryl. On page 22 Dr. Bader refers to diatomaceous earth as safe. It's actually quite dangerous if it's inhaled -- which is easy to do since it's a dust. Dr. Bader also refers to Rotenone as a low toxicity insecticide to humans on page 339 -- wrong again -- it's one of the highest toxicity organic insecticides. The list goes on and on. I also wonder why, as a doctor of preventive care, he refers to tobacco and tobacco smoke so much.

To sum up -- there are some great ideas in this book, but it's not one that I'd recommend because of the faulty and even dangerous statements that it makes about certain cures. Better choices might be Jerry Baker's books, especially his old ones like Plants are Like People or The Impatient Gardener. Sharon Lovejoys book Trowel and Error, or Jeff Gillman's book The Truth about Garden Remedies. All of these books offer a bit more explanation about possible cures and the research in these books is significantly better (especially Gillman's book which includes many references and where the author talks about trials that he has conducted himself).
1010 comments|418 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2006
I bought this book hoping to find some cures to insect and disease problems on my plants. What I found instead was poor editing, information that seems to come from the top of the authors head, and drawings that are amaturish at best.

Information in this book usually comes in poorly organized one sentence long blurbs that don't supply data on where the information originally came from or how likely the cure is to work, which is important since there seem to be about thirty "cures" for each problem. I guess the author just expects us to keep trying the wacky cures (some of which do include poisons)until one works - if any of them really do.

I did try a few of the cures including a wierd baking soda mixture, and a citrus spray. Neither of them worked. If the author had actually tried these cures I would think that he would have provided more information on them - In other words I doubt that the author tried these cures himself.

As a doctor I like the idea of safer cures. This book misidentifies certain practices as cures, misspells simple words, and gets the facts wrong about the safety of many cures and chemicals (what he thinks is in Sevin would be particularly amusing - if it weren't so potentially dangerous). I strongly recommend avoiding this book.

Dr. R
0Comment|169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2006
TV hype is misleading-its not worth the money for following reasons:

1. If you have to go to multiple stores to buy a half dozen ingredients for 1 spray, it will occur to you to just buy 1 spray. Isn't it like buying 5 batteries to recharge one?

2 He spends a lot of pages telling you why he loves various pests rather than how you rid yourself of them. I got it for frogs. Nothing on that but a lot about why toads are good.

3.Rid yourself of ants by leaving tainted cat food in the bushes. Hmm. Isn't the reason you would have cat food that you have a cat?

4. Some suggestions were downright hilarious- I live in Hawaii and have bamboo around every side of the premises. I guarantee that it does nothing to discourage mosquitoes howevermany dragonflies may like the bamboo. And the notion crows may be deterred by socks that look like humans? In fairness, I did not climb trees to hang them because I would hear crows laughing.
44 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2007
I should have just listened to my Aunt Thelma and used the Blue Cheer soap and water combo to keep bugs away. She always said to spray your garden, fruit trees, and around the base of your house and it would keep the insects and spiders away. I feel like I paid $25 for the same advice that I got free from her. My biggest complaint is that the same solutions are repeated over and over and over again. This book would only be 1/3 the size if the author had only put each "tip" in once -- and 1/3 again smaller if he had used a font size that was smaller and left out the dumb drawings. Also whoever proofed this book did a lousy job. Ex.: "If you spray areas where they frequent with a soapy solution you can get ride of them that way as well." Just silly errors that should have been caught and are very distracting. At the price you pay for this book you shouldn't have to worry about typos. Sometimes the same tip is even listed twice under the same category. Obviously I was very disappointed.
22 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2006
Although there are a ton of great ideas in this book, it's a difficult book to read due to the lack of an editorial staff.

It is not "all-natural" as the title implies.

Simple spelling errors, grammatical errors, and a lack of organization all give this book 2 stars.

I think it "bugs" me (pun intended) also that he calls spiders insects. "Spiders are beneficial insects and are welcome in most homes." p.46 I know I'm being picky, but it irks me that someone that has studied zoology would make an error like that.

Keith
on January 25, 2013
This book has multiple errors, some DANGEROUS misinformation and 95% of the "Cures" don't work at all. Seven is NOT safe nor is it organic. It is a white crystal powder insecticide chemically produced. It is toxic and a known carcinogen - very healthy right? Most of the information in this book is repeated multiple times for other pests too making over 1/2 the book fluff. Now errors in information covered we look at his writing skills. This can't be overlooked, there are hundreds of mistakes that are spotted by my 8 year old son. To be clear - the "cures" don't work worth a damn, the book is a piss poor source of useful information and following some of the advice is actually HARMFUL to your health.
on May 27, 2008
Published in 2005 I thought there would be some color photos. Nope! And no index either which makes it real difficult to find anything. disappointing and frustrating to use.
on August 21, 2006
...from this book.

Point #1: It is full of errors (see Bill S.'s review above)

Point #2: This is a book way too intent on killing everything with more than four legs. If we kill all insects, what will the birds eat? And what will the good insects, like ladybugs, eat?

Point #3: I am a big fan and user of organics, but people need to realize that natural products can be toxic as well. Tobacco, for instance, should never be used in any form.

Point #4: There are several good recipes in this book (use of citrus oils, for example) but these certainly are not "secret". Bader has just ripped off a number of methods tested by other people, thrown in some misleading information (Sevin IS NOT ORGANIC) and cranked out this lousy excuse for a book.
33 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2013
These books must have been written by a third grader. Very irritating. But I could take poor grammar and no editing if the solutions worked, which they don't. There is more information ("Interesting Facts") on the pests than on how to get rid of them. What a waste of money. I'm returning them, but will be out postage.
on June 29, 2006
The "cures" didn't get rid of spiders or water bugs, (roaches), but there were fewer of them.

Am hoping that there is a residual effect with some of the products.