5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title
When John Kremer decided to name his book, 1001 WAYS TO MARKET YOUR BOOKS, he sold himself short. If you only came away with 1001 ideas from this massive tome, I'd say you might want to go back and re-read it.

Published on October 9, 2007 by Monty Rainey

2.0 out of 5 stars Let the Writer Beware
This book really lost me when it told me that if I win a Nobel Prize that will increase my sales. It also didn't help that the book told me that if I were reviewed in the New York Times, that would increase sales, too. It also reminded me to spell and punctuate properly, and to carry business cards. It won't shock anyone to learn that I knew all this already...
Published on June 4, 2012 by Danusha V. Goska

5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title, October 9, 2007
Monty Rainey (New Braunfels, TX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 1001 Ways to Market Your Books (1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers) (Paperback)

This book is, by far, the best book I have found on book marketing. For a promoter or author to attempt to market a book without first researching how to go about it, would be insane, and that research should begin right here. There are many books available on this topic, but none so comprehensive as this one.

Kremer's book goes far beyond the basics of giving you a few pointers on how to market your book. Let's face it, no matter how incredible your book might be, if no one ever reads it, your work is lost. This book will arm the writer with information on what they can do to insure their own success. Don't make the mistake so many authors make of leaving their success up to someone else.

Here you'll learn not only about marketing your book, but how to construct a top notch publicity campaign, various ways to promote your book, the best way to advertise, gaining distribution, and even how to capitalize on your writing after your book is published.

In short, if you are a writer or publisher, you HAVE TO HAVE this book. To attempt to market your book without it would be like running a race with cement shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are lots of Book Marketing...Books, January 19, 2010
Length:: 2:57 Mins

There are a ton of book marketing books out there, but this one belongs on the shelf of every author and publisher out there.

First of all-- I have to say Im one of the most frugal people I know. I want to get a value for anything that I purchase. This book has 700 pages of great marketing ideas. It doesnt matter whether you are a beginner or experienced author or publisher in book marketing, you WILL find a new marketing ideas, and refine some of your current marketing.

Hope this helps.

K. Patrice Williams (Author, Publisher, Business Consultant)
[...]
6 Simple Steps to Credit Repair: Rebuild your Credit after Foreclosure and Bankruptcy (Volume 2)
6 Simple Steps to Avoid Foreclosure

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Any Writer, March 11, 2007
Whether you are a published writer or want to become a published writer, you need to read this book. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of ways to promote, publicize, announce, advertise and get your name out to thousands if not millions of people. The ideas listed are simple, easy to understand, well researched and simply fun to complete. I was surprised at how many mistakes I made with my marketing campaign in the beginning. There are so many simple, no-brainer ideas that I could have been doing that would have helped me to market my book better. Not only are there ideas that help to raise the sales and production of your book at your marketing launch, but there are ways to help keep it going. The reason I gave it four stars instead of five was because several of the ideas in the book are for businesses or large companies who have huge amounts of money to use for marketing, massive amounts of time to travel, and can participate in events that the individual can not. However, there are still many, many great tips for the self-published author. If you want to market your book effectively read this one!

-Christian Fobian, Author of Why Christ?

2.0 out of 5 stars Let the Writer Beware, June 4, 2012

Another problem I had with the book. The title is misleading. It really ought to specify that it offers 1001 ways to market relatively easy to market books. If, for example, you have written "The Ultimate Guide to Poodle Grooming," you probably already know what the book will tell you - attend conferences attended by those who groom poodles, advertise in poodle grooming magazines, and try to get excerpts of your book published on poodle grooming websites.

For those who write literary books, "1001 Ways" has scant few suggestions.

Also, the book is a bit out of date on some matters, given how rapidly technology changes. Fax machines are not as important as they used to be.

The information in the book was arranged in too haphazard a fashion for me to easily assimilate it, and the book actually promotes itself within the pages of the book, for example, buy more copies of this book and distribute them. I'll pass.

Writers have tough lives. Writers' most frequently received pieces of mail are rejection letters. Writers are desperate to find ways to market their work. I fear that this book makes a false promise to a desperate population.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Marketing Selection!, March 6, 2010
After publishing over 30 self-published titles, I have a good feel for how valuable this type of book can be. This is an enormous book (700+ pages) that will give you virtually everything that you could possibly need to sell more books. It will take a while to read, but if you have already taken all of the preliminary steps in book marketing, then this is a great comprehensive next step for any serious author. If you implement half of the things in this book, you will become much more successful.

Enjoy!

Todd Hagopian
President/CEO
Hagopian Institute
Author of the brand new book - Self Publisher Coach: "Sell More Books In 30 Days" Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST for Marketing Your Book!, July 27, 2007
As a self-published author myself, I took this book quite seriously and literally, following many of the suggestions to help promote and market my book. While not every publisher/author will follow all 1001 marketing ideas, there are literally hundreds of options that every person can implement.

Whether you are a publisher, a self-publisher author or you've gone the traditional route with an established publisher but want to keep your book alive, this book is a must-have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like all marketing, some of it does add most of the value- but on the whole, worth it, May 3, 2007
There's an old saying (perhaps it was Lord Leverhume) that in any marketing plan, only half of your marketing dollar are actually working for you- the trick is to find out which half. This book is a bit like that- in a good way.

I picked it up at a local bookstore, and was at first a bit skeptical about whether it could all be useful- given it is a bit of a handful (acutally more than that). As I've gone through it, I realize there are some portions that are exceptionally useful- tips from fellow authors, very helpful contacts and websites/resources you could use, details on what works and doesn't etc. I do find myself repeatedly going to these sections and virtually every day, I am using one tip or the other from this book to help market my own books.

On the other hand, there are vast portions of the book which add little value in terms of teaching an author/publisher how to market their book, but take up lots of space- primarily the long examples of how others have done something. One or two are enough to make the point, but when they start running into pages, you remember old Lord Leverhume!

Still, on balance, this is a very useful resource, and would recommend that any author should have this on their bookshelf.

Mainak Dhar, author, Brand Management 101: 101 Lessons from Real-World Marketing

1.0 out of 5 stars Help create a world of junk., April 10, 2014
ctownjak (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I wrote a music theory book for a particular instrument. The impetus for writing this book was to solve a a very specific problem that many instrumentalists have. It is designed to educate, make theory highly accessible, even to novices, and make people better instrumentalists much quicker.

I began reading 1001 Ways To Marekt Your Books and all the author can state is that authors will never make money on their book, but must use their book merely to sell other stuff. I began getting sick after a few pages and absolutely could not continue. This author has latched onto this mentality that has been taking this world toward that world we see in the sci-fi novels where there is advertising and sales of junk all around us with no escape. Yes, you may very well make your money by following this advice. A lot of people and business make money doing things they should not be doing. This approach is completely intellectually dishonest. I do need to make money. I do need to make this book work. But I refuse to advertise a bunch of garbage and propagate trinkets and garbage throughout the world. My lesson is in my book, pure and simple. It contains advice that took me 30 years to develop. I will continue to offer my lesson, rich or poor and I am not interested in selling other things. I will continue presenting my book to teachers and schools that will understand exactly what I have done, and not bother them with my e-store of crap like John Kremer wants me to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Book, November 23, 2011
My publicist recommended that I buy this book to help give me some more ideas about marketing. She was right. All I had to do was open to a random page, and I was sucked into all of John Kremer's ideas. As a self-published author, I am responsible for marketing and advertising. With the book in my hands, I feel confident about what I am doing to market my own book. I recommend this book for new publishing companies and for authors. Thanks, Mr. Kremer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas for marketing, September 22, 2011
Kremer's book, "1001 Ways To Market Your Book," has been recommended by others on how to market one's books since publishers aren't spending much, if anything, on marketing these days.It is very thorough. I recommend it highly to others, especially to those who are self-published. Barbara Fifield, author or "Photographs and Memories," "Lucifer Rising," and "Passion's Evidence."

Used & New from: $23.99