5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book--it gets used almost daily
Published on February 8, 2008 by J. Norris

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but not my kind of cooking
This is a nice little cookbook, with very clear directions for temperatures and numbers of coals and where to place them. Most of the recipes are intended for 12" dutch ovens, although I'm sure they could be adapted for other sizes.

Published on May 17, 2009 by C. Edgar

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but not my kind of cooking, May 17, 2009
C. Edgar "momma-to-mitch" (Stevensville, MT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)

My main quarrel with the book is that many of the recipes are not for the kind of camp cooking that I do. About 1/4 of the recipes are for yeast breads/rolls. If this is the way you want to use your dutch oven, there are some great sounding recipes here! However, this isn't the way I cook when I am camping. A few other recipes call for a special "Camp Chef Ultimate" dutch oven. Then there are the recipes calling for cornish game hens, mutton, orange zest, asiago cheese, almond extract, red wine, white chocolate, or toasted pine nuts. Again, if this is the kind of cooking you want to do with your dutch oven, I'm sure the recipes are great, but it isn't my style.

Of the remaining recipes, several are the traditional camp fare - breakfast casserole, hamburger casserole, stew, and 'dump' cobbler. Others have added a nice variety to my menu (teriyaki barbecue chicken, Catalina chicken, manicotti, etc.). I was just disappointed to find that so few of the recipes are ones that fit my camp cooking style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book--it gets used almost daily, February 8, 2008
J. Norris (Earlville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
My boyfriend has a lot of cast iron--in fact, they are his pots of choice to use. However, he didn't have a lot of recipes for his dutch ovens. I took a chance and ordered this book for him. He absolutely loves it. The recipes are easy to read, understand, and use. The results are delicious. He refers to it almost daily, and is constantly trying new recipes out of it. I recommend it to anyone who likes to use dutch ovens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made for camping, September 7, 2008
L. Golliglee (Excelsior Springs, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
This book is great, filled with recipies all will enjoy. Some dutch oven cookbooks seem to give receipes that are for mountain men or hillbillies (road kill)... ok just kidding. However, I am a leader in a scout troop and our last campout the scouts used this cookbook to make their meals. They found several that they wanted to try so I am sure they will continue to use in the future. Typically the hunt through a cookbook for one with ingredients they will eat. This one is a must for anyone who uses a dutch oven on campouts. The ingredients are things that are easy to find and even the picky eaters can find something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical easy to use book, December 4, 2006
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
I have been using a dutch oven since I was a youth in scouts. This book has clear instructions on how to: assemble a successful recipe, number of coals, location of coals and cooking time make for a success every time. The quality and diversity of recipes is outstanding. The guide at the beginning is also useful on oven care and how to regulate temperature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes for camping, September 19, 2011
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
Easy breezy recipes for camping and outdoors, Love that they give the oven degrees for stay home or the vacation cabin stove too. Also good instructions for caring for Dutch oven cleaning and seasoning. Good selection of recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipe book, June 30, 2008
S. Berger "Photographer" (La Pine, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
Nice easy recipes with "idiot proof' instructions that includes exactly how many coals you need to cook with. Perfect for a beginner dutch oven cooker. Can't wait to try some on my next campout!

5.0 out of 5 stars 101 Things To Do With A Dutch Oven, January 12, 2009
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
I bought this Dutch Oven cookbook, along with Cee Dub's Dutch Oven & Camp Cookin' and Camp Cooking:100 Years, for my father-in-law for Christmas. The three were sold together for a savings. My father-in-law is really enjoying them. He makes new recipes and is always excited to share them with us. I personally liked this one best, but he seems to enjoy reading the trivia in all of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivered promptly, October 31, 2009
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
This cookbook for the Dutchoven was delivered promptly. It seems to have several good recipes in it, but several of them are meant for home use and not for camping - at least not without a great amount of pre-preparation of food items that will be used. This is NOT for "true" outdoor tent camping in the woods, but would be suited for a cabin or RV. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference!, January 26, 2011
L. Keller (anchorage, ak) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
As a founding member of the Greater Wasatch Dutch Oven Society, Vernon knows his way around a dutch oven. This spiral bound guide has an amazing number of recipes in the categories of breakfast, breads, main course, sides, soups and desserts. It also has a great introduction with helpful hints such as, "take the size of your dutch oven, double it and that is the number of coals needed to reach 350 degrees." Who knew?

Some of my favorites are Jalapeño Cheese Bread, Teriyaki Chicken made with lemon lime soda, a pie made with lemon heads candy and Smacos (s'mores tacos!) My meat eating uncles would love Mountain Man Breakfast with sausage, hash browns, sour cream, eggs and cheese. My older sister would love waking up from camping to an oven filled with warm Sticky Buns!

This is the first camping cookbook with recipes I would like to cook at home. Thankfully, Vernon provides tips on how to make these in your oven! The wide variety recipes all have easily gathered ingredients, clear directions and helpful hints. It takes the mystique out of Dutch Ovens!

This book will be a great reference for my own outdoor cooking adventures. I can find recipes for both myself (a vegetarian) and my kiddos. I recommend this book to rafting guides, car campers and people running a fish camp. My little sister already is planning her menus from this book so she will be the envy of the campers around her at Burning Man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Camp food doesnt have to be dull, April 3, 2010
This review is from: 101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven (Spiral-bound)
My husband and I are avid kayakers and campers. A friend of ours exposed us to the joy of dutch oven cooking about 10 years ago and the first meal we had was lasagne- which was AWESOME! When you're camping every weekend from Aril to October you get sick of the tradional beans, chili, hot dogs, cornbread, etc. This book really is a must have for those who want to really enjoy cooking outdoors! Fresh bread & rolls, breakfast casseroles, cabbage rolls, and poached pears...come on--this book is great for the wilderness foodies out there. Best of all, because it's specific on the number of coals needed and the temperatures you're cooking with, it makes creating your own recipes so easy. We do alot of the prep work at home (mixing the dry ingredients in ziplocks & labeling them with the measurements of the other items we need to add, really saves us a lot of time. I highly recommend it to anyone, new or experienced, who actually wants to enjoy meals made over a fire.

101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven
101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven by Vernon Winterton (Spiral-bound - March 20, 2006)
$9.99 $5.79