5.0 out of 5 stars an ESSENTIAL for any aspiring fashion designer!
Published on August 20, 2010 by Martha Napier

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much new here...
There are few good quotes and tidbits about fashion design scattered throughout, but there is nothing in this book that isn't readily available elsewhere in far better titles. The author also has a very sardonic tone, which feels at times as though he is talking down to you, the oh-lowly reader.

If you are looking for a book that will only take you an hour or...
Published on June 7, 2012 by Gwendolyn

5.0 out of 5 stars an ESSENTIAL for any aspiring fashion designer!, August 20, 2010
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
This book is a MUST for anyone seeking great real, and relevant advice from a professional source. When I first purchased it, I expected something still informative, but mostly witty --turns out, it's BOTH! As a current fashion student and freelance professional, this is my new go-to source for inspiration, essential technical tricks (both for construction and illustration), and grounding. The author includes things they do not teach you in school, and wisdom that takes years to accumulate in the fashion industry. Make it accessible in your home and read often so these ideas are freshly with you. I cannot recommend this gem of a book enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY good read!, June 11, 2010
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
This is a very comprehensive book. Well written. It taught me how much really goes into their creations. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars It took them long enough..., June 10, 2010
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
With all the Project Runway and The Fashion Show, it was about time that 101 Things came up with Fashion School. How interesting to find out tit bits from an actual insider!
Fashion is not so romantic, it is a business. This book lays it out, very informative. Thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Straightforward, Short, and Sweet, March 13, 2012
I came across this book at the library and was so impressed by the content within, I purchased a digital copy for myself. The information is very useful and I think the book is a good read for someone who wants to become a designer (to be honest, I think individuals that are planning to go to college or a fashion school should definitely read it). It's also good for current designers and fashion industry professionals.

The book is written by stating a fashion fact, technique, process, term, or common knowledge on each page and each one is numbered. Then the following page expands on each statement by giving a brief explanation of what it means accompanied by an illustration that supports the explanation. The explanations, definitions, and terms described within are written clearly enough and in layman's language so that an individual that is not well versed in fashionese or industry-speak can understand. I learned a few things that I didn't know, got some insight into the creative process, and found out that I had been using a word here and there in the wrong context.

The best part about this book is that it's an easy and quick read. Like a previous poster said, you can whiz thru it in about a half hour but if you are new to fashion or really want to expand your knowledge and insight, give yourself an hour. Good for most people these days that don't have a lot of time to read. The book is small, about half the size of a Kindle if you cut it in half horizontally, which makes it easy to carry around and keep in your bag as an inspirational reference (or you can always get a digital copy like I did). The price is well worth it.

I have read other books that claim to teach you about the industry ins and outs. Most end up being too much about the history, have outdated information and/or tend to focus on one segment or sector. This book has useful information that can be applied to any product line and sector of the industry and will probably be relevant many years to come.

I gave it 5 stars because:

The price is fair.

It has relevant and pertinent information.

It's an easy, quick read and easy to understand by someone with no industry knowledge.

It's available in both hardcopy and digital format.

If you are reading this book, you may be an aspiring designer trying to start your own line. This book is a great start. I also have a few other book suggestions.

1. The Fashion Designer Survival Guide, Revised and Expanded Edition: Start and Run Your Own Fashion Business
(I own the first edition. It's really good so I imagine that they have only improved on this edition)

2. The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing
(This book is very important in a new designer's arsenal simply because it will help you to avoid common and costly mistakes that most designers make starting out.)

I suggest you get these books and read them in the same order. Will try to review my book suggestions soon. Take care and good luck in your endeavors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside Fashion School, June 9, 2010
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
This is a very interesting and enjoyable read. I got a lot of insight into a world that I knew very little about before reading. I know a lot of people in fashion and I feel I now know a little more about what they do. Totally recommend reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book., March 19, 2013
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
This book, how small it is, but it is packed with so much information about fashion. Just with the tips and rules alone this book is worth the purchase, but the fashion quotes add to the book as well. I am not a fashion student, but I do admire fashion and would like to sew my own clothing one day, so I loved reading how to make clothing seem more high quality. I think the tips in this book would be great for anyone in fashion school or who just loves fashion to give a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, January 8, 2013
This book was very easy to read and understand but still introduced new ideas, industry jargon, and technical concepts. If only all college professors could convey new concepts like these!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable and helpful, January 6, 2013
Good to have handy for useful trade tips. Makes for a quick memorable and fun lesson. Not bad to have in a fashion school library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Points, December 2, 2011
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
The set-up of the book helps the reader find helpful points quickly. It's also great for quick tips that help out in various situations. The information inside has already paid me back!

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, March 22, 2014
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School (Hardcover)
The book arrived in very good condition. The content was not as expected and was somewhat disappointing. I was expecting fashion tips but instead it was filled with random comments from fashion students. I would not recommend the book.

101 Things I Learned in Fashion School
101 Things I Learned in Fashion School by Matthew Frederick (Hardcover - May 20, 2010)
$16.00