4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Buy, Compact but Powerful
Published 9 months ago by Pavanas Incusus

3.0 out of 5 stars Over Sensitive Touch Pad- Poor Wireless
I'm owned ASUS netbooks before and found them to be fantastic in all regards, especially their strong wireless capabilities. This small netbook however is a bit finicky. The touchpad is extremely sensitive, set to it's slowest cursor movement settings, the cursor is still difficult to land on a specific point.
The wireless constantly disconnects and reconnects from...
Published 10 months ago by Stephen J Myrum

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Buy, Compact but Powerful, March 1, 2014
This review is from: ASUS 1015E-DS02 10.1-Inch Laptop, Ubuntu OS (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
This small unit is based on Linux (a unix), which is robust and not prone to computer viruses. It includes free updates and upgrades as well as security and application upgrades over the internet. A caveat: it does not come with a sofware cd. One should also buy a ¨Live CD¨ (a bootable cd that can to be used recover system in case of mishap.). Another item to go with this purchase would be at least a 4 port 3.0 powered USB hub (for peripherals i.e. external cd/dvd, printer, external HDDs and so forth). The included software should be more than sufficient for one's everyday computer needs, if additional software is needed there is a vast library of free software available for the Ubuntu O/S. As to ease of operation? If one is familar with Windows, this O/S should present no problems. Lastly the HDMI port on the unit connects to a HDMI port of a HDTV giving the unit a much larger monitor screen. Good deal in a small package at a reasonable cost?

4.0 out of 5 stars OpenSuse 13.1 OK Here Too, May 11, 2014
Andrew Cooke (santiago, chile) - See all my reviews
I previously had a 1015E-DS03 (see also my review there), but spilled a glass of coke all over it.

Despite its age, there still doesn't seem to be anything else similar to this little machine when it comes to Linux compatibility so I bought a new one, only to find that the model number had changed slightly. The only change from the DS03 that I can see is that the lid has a matte finish.

As with the DS03, OpenSuse 13.1 installs fine. There is a weird issue with the UEFI boot when you update kernels - Google for my name and the computer model to find my blog post describing the fix (too long to copy here and Amazon doesn't allow links).

The mouse pad is still pretty bad. Everything else seems OK. I replaced the disk drive with an SSD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Over Sensitive Touch Pad- Poor Wireless, February 17, 2014
The wireless constantly disconnects and reconnects from WiFi points, creating an aggravating experience.
Unity is the default desktop. I switched to Gnome as a personal preference.
I'd send this netbook back if I could, but being a 'nix guy, I'd rather try to tinker with the thing and see if I can improve it's problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Highly Recommended. Great Asus Support., April 5, 2014
Love it.

Smooth introduction to the Linux world as a replacement for WinXP, now wonder why I had delayed making the switch.

Use a usb mouse & keyboard for man size hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little computer, May 3, 2014
This is a very nice laptop for the money. It is perfectly fine for a little web surfing and email and that's all I need. I've had it for about a month and had no problems. It has the Ubuntu operating system so you need to have a little "geek" in you. Ubuntu isn't quite ready for prime time, in my opinion. I have experience with various Linux based operating systems so it was easy for me but your mileage may vary,

3.0 out of 5 stars overall ok product, April 22, 2014
Fine product. Sometimes it runs a bit slow. I mainly use it for coding purpose. Overall ok. Serves my purpose

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible wireless hardware. Mouse / touchpad bothersome, April 24, 2014
cm "barry797" (Newcastle, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I wanted to like this product. I've purchased an Asus 1000HE netbook and I love it and still use it. I wanted a Linux netbook so I gave this one a try. The wireless connection kept dropping out, even when I was located 2 feet from my wireless router. None of my other wireless devices worked so unreliably. The mouse/touchpad was awful. Nearly impossible to cut/paste anything without it jetting off of the needed field. The "button" and the capacitive touchpad are the same (no separate buttons) so if you slide your finger at all when depressing, it moves the mouse and misses the target.

I liked Ubuntu. I may just buy a more reliable netbook and load Ubuntu on it.

I've had stellar results with Asus products except this one. I've purchased a full size Win7 laptop and it's great. I bought one of their AMD quad core motherboards and it's also pretty good. I'm typing on the 1000HE netbook now and I've had reliable results from it for over 4 years.

However, the 1015E-DS02 is a dog. I could have put up with the silly mouse behavior (although I would have cursed it a lot I think :-) but there is NO excuse for the shoddy WiFi performance.

Stay away from this one. It has a fundamental design issue. Reading some of the feedback articles here will indicate the same.

After one week using it, I returned it to Amazon. They were prompt in crediting my account.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for internet browsing, October 13, 2014
It's not the fastest computer in the universe but if you just want to do some general internet browsing it's a good deal for the price. Ubuntu is a very useable operating system, especially for people with a little bit of Linux knowledge to begin with, and you can always switch to a different desktop environment if you're not a fan of the default one.

5.0 out of 5 stars works like a charm, July 14, 2014
This laptop, or "netbook" if you prefer, fulfilled my simple computer needs such as video/filesharing, low graphics gaming, emailing, file organization, watching/streaming/listening to media and much more with competance. The wirless adaptor built in to this machine kicks ass. If you are tired of the touchscreen craze and you just want a computer that "does the job" this one does it, and well. I got My asus 1015eDS02 with ubuntu(for the cheap price) & reformatted to windows 7 the day i got it, works like a charm. Also, I have been using this little laptop for over two months and i still love it. Forget chromebooks, this is the s*** right here!
TLDR: best value, fast, reliable, internet connected, plays solitaire: yes, plays crysis3: no

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9, 2014