5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published on March 14, 2011 by Julie Anne Rosario

Published on September 2, 2010 by Holly

3.0 out of 5 stars What do you do when a book you anticipate doesn't live up to expectations?, September 2, 2010
The main storyline in this most recent Cedar Cove installment revolves around the relationship between Mack MacAfee and Mary Jo Wyse. Their relationship began at Christmas time a couple of books back (as a side note --notice the cleverness of Mary Jo's name) and was touched on in 92 Pacific Boulevard. There is also more revealed about other more recently introduced characters such as Shirley Bliss and Corrie and Roy's daughter Gloria. Some of the original characters still make appearances, for example Olivia, but they are not front and center this go round.

I know I am going to probably take a beating from diehard Debbie Macomber fans (and I count myself one of them), but this book was disappointing. I love this series and have always felt like I am visiting old friends and catching up with them when I pick up the next Cedar Cove novel. This time out, I really struggled to get into the story and found it to largely be lacking. Here is what I found to be the problem: way too much time devoted to catching the reader up on who the various characters are and what has happened in the previous nine books. I had a hard time getting into the flow of the story when every time a character makes his or her first appearance, the story stops and we go back and review who they are and what has happened in their life so far. If they make two appearances at different points in the book, we are given the background twice. By page 300+, I am still getting refresher information about Olivia and her previous illness and how it affected her marriage, etc. The book is only 366 pages long so I was fully expecting to be in the flow of the new material at this point. It really jerked me back as reader to have someone get in the car as a passenger and then spend two pages reflecting on their relationship with the driver prior to the car moving. While some of this is necessary, it has reached the point that it is distracting and irritating. There just isn't much new content here if you strip out all the old stuff.

I always try to offer a solution when criticizing something, but I am largely at a loss here. It may just be that Ms. Macomber needs to assume that people are not starting at book ten in the series and not try to recap nine books of material. If I were a first time reader, I would find not enough background to care about the characters and as a devoted fan, it was way over the top this time. She really has a problem here and I don't know how she is going to solve it going forward.

I love Cedar Cove, I love Debbie Macomber and I hate saying this ---- this novel is not up to the standards of the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Debbie Has Finally Gone For Quantity Over Quality, September 5, 2010
Wow....have you ever eaten Chinese food and been hungry 1/2 hour after? In my opinion that is the effect of this book, I finished it an hour or so ago and am still wondering where was the story. If you took out the filler this would be lucky to be a 1/3 of a book.
I have Amazon prime so I didn't pay shipping and I pre-ordered so I only paid $4.47 but even at that price point it is still a empty book, 366 pages of a history lesson on June 6th, D-Day and hardly anything else with a few set-ups for the next book.
I have read lots of Debbie Macomber books but unfortunately they are all starting to run together. I really enjoyed the Blossom Street series and I feel Cedar Cove is being extended beyond it's prime.
Like the other reviewer Holly, I don't want to read about trips to Walmart and buying diapers, I wanted to read about the characters I've invested in over the last few years.
Without putting in spoilers you can't really say much more than "DISAPPOINTED." But...oh yeah wait for the next book in 2011!
Again it is my opinion that Ms. Macomber has sold out to the "How much $$ can I make off these books before the readers catch on?"
I really looked forward to this book and after this experience I won't be pre-ordering the next one, I'll wait till I see a copy at the next used book sale.
All I've read about Ms. Macomber lately...her vacations here and there, 2 homes, a trip to Turkey with her daughters to see the yarn factory that will produce her yarn line (why not the USA Debbie?) and I'm led to believe that it is all about $$$ for her pocket and to heck with the loyal readers.
Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers but even at less than $5.00 I still feel cheated out of all the "scoop" I wanted on my favorite CC "friends."

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Review, September 6, 2010
Karianne (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
In Cedar Cove, Debbie Macomber has created a wonderful small town peopled with likable characters that involve the reader. I have enjoyed each one, and waited for the next to come out. However, this book didn't hold my interest as closely as the others and I did not enjoy it quite so much. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but I agree, there were too many repetitive and lengthy recaps. An enhanced Cast of Characters with a recap for each character would be better than stopping the story for the recap. That way, if you want to know more, turn to the recap section, and if you already know, read on. The book was okay, but the recaps combined with the letters took away from the book's main story lines. For me, the letters prevented my getting as involved in the story of Mack and Mary Jo as I otherwise might have if their story line involved things that affected their lives more personally. More about the conflict with the dastardly David and less about the letters. Long series are likely hard to write and keep fresh for both the readers and the author. She has entertained many readers for decades with all her books. That she wrote a book some aren't totally satisfied with is only human. Macomber seemingly loves people and writes books many readers enjoy. And this one is certainly not without its enjoyable scenes. If you are a fan of the series, you will still most likely want to read this book as well. I hope that Macomber finds herself inspired to write more books about Cedar Cove and the engaging characters who populate it. I will certainly read further books in the series and won't hold this one not quite so satisfying book against her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 14, 2011
Julie Anne Rosario (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
Time to re-visit Cedar Cove and catch up with all our old friends and some of our newer friends! I was a bit disappointed in the last couple of Cedar Cove books, but this one turned it all around for me. It was like a welcome home for me. This time around the story focuses on Mary Jo Wyse and Mack McAfee. They both love each other, but have been skirting around telling each other and keeping each other at arm's length. They are brought together through a series of letters Mary Jo finds under the floor boards of her closet (she found them in [book:92 Pacific Blvd]. They tell a story of a soldier during WWII and his love for the girl back home. They both are exciting to solve the mystery of what happened to both the soldier and his girl. Secondary stories include: *Shirley and Tanni Bliss. Mother and daughter are both dealing with love issues. *Christie and James. These two have been going back and forth with each other for years. It is a small story line, but it is nice to follow up with them again. *The whole McAfee family. They are going through so many changes and Roy and Corrie are having a bit of a hard time keeping up with all their children. *Rachel, Bruce, and Jolene. Rachel and Jolene still aren't getting along and Bruce seems to just ignore it. More complications set back the family and it seems they just might not be able to hold it together. I love stepping back into Cedar Cove. Macomber has a way of making all the characters come alive. You may not like all of the characters, but she paints them in a why that you can understand them. They are all real and feel like people you may know in your own life. After 10 plus books, they have become like friends to me. As usual, the book have vignettes of each character's story and then jumps to the next story. Each time it would happen I would be disappointed, but within a couple of lines I was excited to read about the next character's woes. I honestly can't say I was all that excited to read about Mack and Mary Jo. They were only so-so to me in the past books. I liked them, but just did not get me all that excited. I was surprised at how quickly I came to like them and care about them. They frustrated me, but I hoped for them to work things out. My biggest complaint is that it ended and I have to wait until September of 2011 to return to Cedar Cove and catch up with my friends! No, No, No! I wish I could just keep reading about them. I want to know how they are all doing. *sigh* I will just have to wait. Well written, fast read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Money grubbing attempt to take advantage of her fans, September 19, 2010
I can't believe that people are giving this book 3 stars. It is really bad and deserves only one star. You know what you are going to get with a Debbie Macomber book so no surprise at the sappiness but the stories were poorly woven together. The characters acted so extremely with out reason and others had pages and pages of back story that you just couldn't care about. The worst part was the cliff hanger at the end where it literally says to wait until next year to buy the next book. It's hard to fathom that she needs the pay check so desperately. So disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Book in the Cedar Cove Series, September 16, 2010
This review is from: 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book the other day at the bookstore since I have been reading the Cedar Cove series for the past five years. I ended up staring with the 6th book in the series and than went and got book 1 up until the present book, 1022 Evergreen Place.

I have to say that the premise behind this book is a good one. Which one of us does not love books that keep us up to date with our favorite characters, Sue Grafton and her Alphabet Series, Patricia Briggs and her Mercy Thompson series, and I could go on.

However, this book and the previous holiday one that came out were disappointing. One reviewer hit the nail on the head that there are too many couples/characters now and they all seem to fall in love within one chapter. I am assuming that Debbie Macomber embraces the more traditional relationships with people declaring their love (after a chaste kiss or two) and than proposing. If only that was the way the real world works. The credibility of the stories of so many couples was strained at times throughout this book. In fact I rolled my eyes so much I am lucky they didn't get stuck.

What makes me shake my head is that the past few years Debbie Macomber has been going in this direction with her books. Women who are single and not happy until they meet that man and then someone after knowing each other for a few weeks or so they are engaged. Her last few books in the Blossom Street series have been disappointing as well. Next time no books from Debbie Macomber until I see good reviews from others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Getting tired of Macomber's schtick, September 8, 2010
I have been a reader of Debbie Macomber's books for a long time, and I've always liked her stories in spite of the fact that there are many irritations, because she creates interesting characters and interesting scenarios. However, with this most recent book, the things I found grating far outweighed the things I enjoyed:

1. She does a horrible job of writing young women (20s-30s). While Macomber may have a lot of insight into middle aged housewives and writes them well, she fails when trying to write from the perspective of younger women, and about younger women. From the way that she dresses them (young women do not wear sweaters with crap embroidered or embellished on them, seriously) to their views on premarital sex (more on that below), all of her "young" characters sound old because Macomber herself is out of touch.
2. Her views on sex are antiquated. Hardly anyone has sex in her books (particularly the Cedar Cove series) unless they are married. I guess that is why everyone in Cedar Cove gets married about 12 seconds after meeting them, because it's the only way they can get some. No one dates. They meet, they are either friends or antagonists, then they decide they want to be together and then they get married shortly thereafter. It is ridiculous. In this day and age, people date, they sleep together, they live together. I find it hard to believe that everyone in this town practices abstinence (particularly the older people who have already been married). There are the occasional people (usually women) who have premarital sex, and they are ALWAYS ashamed of it (see, e.g. the character of Gloria). Can't a girl have a good time in bed with a gentleman without being married and without feeling like they have killed a puppy? Not in Macomber's world, apparently. She is a firm practitioner of "slut shaming."
3. Her insistence on using everyone's full name throughout the books is really annoying. There's a guide to the town in the front of every book. Yet, whenever a character mentions another character, it is always "I saw Jane Smith Jones in church today." I don't use my friends' whole names when I talk about them to other friends because they know of whom I speak. I guess she is trying to up her word count or something by putting in so many superfluous names, but it really disrupts the flow of the story.

I guess the bottom line is the story here was not engaging enough for me to ignore all the things that usually bother me about her stories. The primary characters in this book are really boring and the storylines are even more derivative than usual (mean ex tries to take baby, friend fights him off, mama and friend fall in lurrrv; people marry for the wrong reasons but fall in luvvv; rich daddy doesn't like new son-in-law and uses connections to ruin his life; person has affair with someone they don't want a relationship with but then accidentally get pregnant). YAWN.

1.0 out of 5 stars BIG disappointment!, December 26, 2010
I was really happy to see the continuation of Mary Jo's story. After reading her Christmas book about the birth of Noelle I was looking forward to this story. What a disappointment. YUK! This book is crappy. It has no continuity and too many characters. Who needs the letters and diary too? Maybe Ms. Macomber has gone the way of Danielle Steele. Only in it for the money. Too bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, September 10, 2010
This review is from: 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove) (Kindle Edition)
This may possibly be the worst book I've ever read. There wasn't much character development, every chapter switched to a new set of characters without adequate explanation as to who they were (which often left me confused as to who I was reading about THIS chapter), and the storyline itself was just plain terrible. I will never read another book by this author. What a waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Had Been Waiting For, September 16, 2010
Diane L. (Manlius, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I won't go into a lot of detail here exept to say that I agree with reviewers Holly and Kerianne. I will continue to follow this series because I do love the characters of Cedar Cove and look forward to each book, but this one was a dissappointment, for sure.

1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove)
$5.69