Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2013 8:31:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2013 8:32:33 AM PDT
Tracy Mohr says:
All 105 reviews are five stars (as of 4/25), and many of the reviewers have no other reviews.

Looks to me like an attempt to game the system.

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 10:50:09 PM PDT
M. Feldmeier says:
Well I don't have many reviews but I think this is a good book and worth buying. I don't think there is some conspiracy. Just a lot of people who follow his work, got the book immediately, and were surprised at how it surpassed their expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 10:41:38 AM PDT
I agree. It's now up to 131 5-star reviews. I just don't believe it.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 11:38:31 AM PDT
congoose says:
Kelly has a strong following in the CrossFit community as well as giving out a lot of material for free (via his daily blog). He also posted a contest based on people submitting reviews. I don't know if it breaks any rules, as he didn't say what people had to review it, just comment. There are some 5-star reviews saying "I can't wait to read it". That being said, it's a pretty good book that hits the mark for most people.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 12:10:21 PM PDT
kaj says:
Like Congoose said, Kelly does have a large audience following him or reading his work. Among his followers this work has been promoted quite a bit and most of them have been waiting for a single source of Kelly's information instead of it being scattered on hundreds of videos. It's not a trick to game the system but rather the result of releasing a much anticipated product.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 2:11:44 PM PDT
Mbrooks says:
Im sure most people who left reviews are similar to myself. This is the first review I've ever left and did so because it was well deserved. I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this book for months. Kelly has a huge following in the crossfit world, myself included. If youre not a believer in the reviews, then go to mobilitywod.com and browse through some of his free videos. Trust me you will soon realize why Kelly is so highly respected. Ive never met the guy, nor have I attended any of his certification courses. Only exposure I've had is from mobilitywod.com. His work has changed my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 3:24:41 PM PDT
It's not Kelly. This happens with all books by this publisher.

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 7:41:29 AM PDT
kaj says:
Perhaps because some authors are already well known before writing a book instead of becoming well known due to their book. Reason being that the crossfit world is both large and compact; word travels fast. This causes the initial response after release to be high, giving it a high rank. That in turn makes more people buy it, which are satisfied and leave reviews.

It's not some weird conspiracy theory.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2013 6:55:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2013 6:58:10 PM PDT
R. Aitken says:
Dont really think the number of perfect reviews is of any value to anyone quite frankly in relation to the book itself. I look forward to the book. I may write a review, I may not.

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 10:45:55 PM PDT
As a previous poster wrote. Kelly is very well know among athletes. He has a big following from his website. I am a physician and have used much of Kelly's previous work to help better treat my patients. I was very exited when I found out he would be compiling all of his work into a book. I have been blown away after 4 days of reading this thing cover to cover. I also don't take time and write reviews but this book just gets you excited. Maybe it's just me but this is an instant classic. In my mind it is Genius at how he has compiled this. Like I stated before in my review we all have billion dollar bodies, finally there is a user's manual on how to take care of it. Before you judge this thing as a conspiracy theory due to the fast and furious reviews of 5 star. Read it you and you will probably be like most of us that have never written a review want to tell everyone you know about how awesome this book it. Just a thought..

Posted on May 27, 2013 10:28:38 AM PDT
Funny how no one mentions that the "Preview Copy" is a venerable tradition in the publishing world and the practice of sending out such preview copies has been around for much long than this internet thing. I know several people who received them, loved the book and wrote reviews.
I also met Kelly and did his movement certification at my CrossFit gym in NYC.
He is very good at what he does and the book reflects that.

Posted on May 27, 2013 11:03:35 PM PDT
Maneesh says:
It is a common trend these days for authors to invite reviews on Amazon from their readers/blog followers. Some people even offer rewards for doing so.

That being said, from what I've heard of Kelly, the book's content just might be worth it. Also the Crossfit connection means it has a ready made (and very vocal) fan base.

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 8:27:40 AM PDT
Bart Hammond says:
I'm very interested in this book and may get it. However, I must say that any "review contest" has to detract, in some sense, from the validity of the number of top-level reviews. If there's a contest, then by default all those following the author are far more apt to give it five-star rankings. That's not to say it doesn't deserve them. But it does kind of warp the overall ranking some.

I still may well get this in light of the overall balance seeming to weigh very favorably in his teachings.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance by Glen Cordoza (Hardcover - April 23, 2013)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (721)