5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!
Published 15 months ago by David Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Wishing it had a longer battery life or wished it could be plugged in for filming
The battery life is only about an hour long. It costs about $60 for an additional battery. The infrared/full spectrum will need additional light as it is not that strong to light a room up. Also wished the camera could be plugged into outlet versus using the battery to avoid having to stop recording to switch out battery. Overall good little handheld and I like I can use...
Published 5 months ago by Lynne Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, July 23, 2013
This review is from: 1080p HD Infrared Night Vision and Full Spectrum Camcorder - Ghost Hunting Camera (Camera)
Our paranormal group was in dire need of a new Camcorder with IR capability and if possible, Full Spectrum capability. I was hesitant to start my search for several reasons. First, many pieces of paranormal equipment are expensive, and frankly, our experience has shown that quality is average to poor. Second, I have my reservations about spending a lot of money on something we can only use for paranormal investigations. We sometimes have periods of poor case loads so the equipment is sitting unused, and at some point, we may decide to retire from the hobby. That would leave us with a case of equipment we paid a lot of money for, but could not use.

With that in mind I started to look and search to see what was available. A search for IR Camcorder typically brought up the Bell and Howell model. This has full IR Capability with built in IR illumination. But the reviews were average at best due to focusing issues while using the IR mode. The average price for these models was around $250 US. Besides the Bell and Howell, there were a few slim models that appeared to be cheap and small. In my research I found that there used to be a great camcorder produced by Sony called the Night Shot and Super Night Shot. These are no longer made by Sony. These were and still are very popular camcorders. Sony produced a quality product, and with a little searching you can still find some on the secondary market as used/remanufactured etc. The prices are generally north of $300 if you can find one. I had reservations about spending $300 on up for a used camcorder with old technology. That was another issue I discovered during my search. Many older camcorders featured older technology. No HD, low resolution. Some Ghost Supply outlets are selling a more recent version of a Sony camcorder that is modified for all time IR use. These cannot ever be used as a regular camcorder, they are not High Def, and resolution is low, all for $340 US. I was not exactly happy with that, and was not jumping to buy anything.

I eventually found this camcorder here on Amazon. I was liking very much what I was reading. High Def, 1080P resolution, regular camcorder use, manual switching to or from IR and Full Spectrum. Two SD card slots, built in IR light, still shot capabilities and more. I was not familiar with this camcorder and the information here does not list the manufacturer. I Googled Cleveland Paranormal Supply and was able to review more information regarding the specifications on this camcorder. It had everything everyone was asking for but could not find and then some. I loved the idea that it was essentially a regular camcorder by day and a paranormal investigating tool by night. I could pick this unit up and run out to a friends wedding and record the happy event, then come home, swap the battery and head off into the night for some paranormal investigating. The next day I could grab the recorder again and head off to a birthday party and record just like with a regular camcorder, and that night be out again trolling for spirits in Full Spectrum. Also a consideration was what would happen if I decided to retire from paranormal investigating, no problem here, the camcorder can be used just like any regular camcorder so I did not end up with a $300 paper weight.

I still had questions, so I dropped Cliff the founder of Cleveland Paranormal Supply an e-mail and loaded it with questions. I wanted to know who made this camcorder, and how was the quality, and if it had a hot shoe for mounting an IR light. Cliff was very prompt in responding and answered all of my questions. The camcorder is made by a company named Ordro. This name is not familiar here in the US because they do not make camcorders for the US market, only Europe and Asia. We could not find out exactly if this was a company owned and operated by Samsung or Sony, but the few reviews I was able to find hinted at one of those two companies as the possible manufacturer. The camcorder was consistently compared to the old Sony Night Shot camcorders for functionality and reliability. The camcorder has all of the features that the old Sony Night Shot and Super Night Shot camcorders used to have but with lots of upgrades. I did find those few reviews were positive. I did see a place or two over in Europe who was selling these, and the price as right on the $200 mark plus or minus, so Cliff has a very fair price on these given that he needed to have them tweeked for the Full Spectrum feature.

This camcorder as described above is a regular camcorder, and can be used for regular every day events like birthdays, weddings etc. But just like the old Sony Night Shots you can manually remove the IR filter for IR video recording, and you can go one step farther and remove the Full Spectrum filter for total Full Spectrum video recording. It is done via the menu as opposed to having a physical switch like the old Sony models. It also features a built in IR light which is good enough to illuminate a small room such as a powder room or similar 10 X 10 or smaller room. The camcorder also features High Def, and 1080P which are both sought after improvements by paranormal investigators. It also records audio as your recording. Another fantastic feature with this camcorder is the ability to take high def digital still images. You can take a limited number of stills while video recording which is a great feature in case you spot something you can try to capture a still saving you the time of clipping it out of the video stream later. You can take as many still photos as your memory will hold while not recording video. Just aim, and press the photo button, it's that simple. You can fire off a dozen sharp stills in seconds. There is a nice sized viewing screen for you to use as your walking around in the dark, and of course to aim and shoot your video subjects. To turn the camcorder on, simply open the screen clam shell and she powers right up, close the screen clam shell and she powers down and reverts to normal mode from IR or Full Spectrum. Switching to IR or Full Spectrum is super easy. Touch the screen to activate the menu, swipe left or right until you see the IR options, and select. The IR filter is removed and the built in IR light is activated. To get to Full Spectrum, touch the screen again and enter the menu, swipe to the special color wheel options page and select the color wheel. The last filter is then removed and your in Full Spectrum mode.

The only short comings that I could find were the lack of an accessory shoe on the top of the unit. You will not be able to mount an extra IR light directly to the top of the camcorder. The camcorder has a tripod mounting hole on the bottom for attaching an accessory bracket or for mounting to a tripod. Some have said the built in IR light is weak. It is not the best, but no worse than the one used in the old Sony Night Shot or the current Bell and Howell. It is recommended that you buy the accessory bracket, and one of the two IR illuminator's that Cliff offers. He has a 50 foot range IR illuminator, and an 80 foot range IR Floodlight. Both mount right on the accessory bracket and use a 9V battery for operation so they are not eating up the camcorder battery. Cliff does offer a Full Spectrum illuminator, but be aware that it will fill the area with some visible light which may not be desirable in full black darkness situations during a paranormal investigation. The IR light contains enough of the Full Spectrum to be effective and will not emit any visible light at all. Something for consideration in the future by the people who design and build these illuminating devices, how about a light with Full Spectrum OR IR lighting capability in one unit?

We had an opportunity to use this camcorder this past weekend during a paranormal investigation. We had purchased the 80 foot IR Floodlight and accessory bracket from Cliff along with an extra battery. The camcorder comes in a soft storage case and has an external charger, one battery, and a set of different cables so you can hook the camcorder up to your TV or PC. So it is a complete package. The battery on a single charge is reported to last up to 2 or 3 hours of continuous recording. Sometimes our investigations run over that time so we purchased the extra battery. The battery will take about 2 1/2 hours to charge from dead using the external charger which can be used at your command center during an investigation, and while the camcorder is in use with your other battery. Hooking up the accessory bracket is simple and easy and mounting the IR Flood Light was a snap, just simple thumb screws for each. The camcorder is a little smaller in real life that what it looks like in the photo. It is light and compact. Its easy to carry around even with the accessory bracket and IR Flood Light attached. We used the Full Spectrum mode, and did a few video sessions, and snapped off a few photos while recording video then switched to camera only mode and fired off a few dozen still photos. Using the camera feature was super easy and I liked this feature a lot. My only gripe is that the record button is flush with the case of the camcorder on the back, and its very hard to feel for it in the dark so you can press record.

On reviewing the video footage I was super impressed at the clarity and quality of the video. Smooth clean crisp Full Spectrum video with no focusing issues. We recorded in a smaller area in a basement, and a larger area in a big attic, and the camcorder recorded high quality clear video. I also snapped off still photos. I did this both while recording video and with video recording off. I got good well lit clear digital photos all around. We took photo still in the basement area, and the attic which were the two extremes at this location and the images were well lit and clear. Very happy. The digital photo stills come out as JPG and the video as MP4 so you will not have to do any conversion of files. There is no internal memory in the camcorder. You will need to purchase SD cards. The camcorder has two slots for SD Cards, one for a standard SD Card and one for a mini-SD Card. We purchased two 32GB SD Cards and installed both. We should not ever have an issue with memory. To get your recordings and images off the camcorder is also a snap. You can use the USB cable that was supplied with the camcorder and hook directly to your PC, use the HDMI cable also supplied to hook up to your TV, or you can pop the SD Cards out and use the SD slots on your PC if you have them, and use windows explorer to grab them and paste them into a case folder on your hard drive.

Over all we are super pleased with this camcorder. It is versatile, it is loaded with features all paranormal groups want and need, the quality seems above average so far, and the price is right. The camcorder worked flawlessly and produced top quality video and stills in IR and Full Spectrum. The 80 foot IR Flood Light worked great and illuminated large rooms with no problem what so ever. At this time I have to highly recommend this unit for any paranormal group looking to upgrade or expand their equipment roster. It has all of the features you could ever ask for. Cliff has hit the ball out of the park with this high quality versatile camcorder at an excellent mid range price. Now if he can come up with a nice quality IR/Full Spectrum digital camera that can be used for regular picture taking during the day at a reasonable price, we would definitely be buyers. We'll be putting the camcorder to the test again in two weeks and again in four weeks. We'll post back if anything changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far this is a very impressive COMPACT camcorder, July 31, 2013
Length:: 0:19 Mins

**Video**

Video demonstrates a very quick IR shot in completely dark bathroom with the camcorder's IR light - and then with Streamlight's IR flashlight that I also bought here on Amazon.. This B007RB82D2 is an essential for this camcorder! So worth it...

I bought this camcorder for the same reasons everyone else most likely will - price and capabilities!

This definitely added a huge bonus into our adventures - and it's nice to have the whole event recorded for further analysis, etc etc... very worthwhile!

Awesome factors:

- IR and Full Spectrum imaging/video
- Built in IR light (going to purchase IR FLASHLIGHT as it will be dual-purpose and help here)
- SIZE - this thing's not big AT ALL -- and records some very nice quality video that can make me nauseous at 60FPS
- Has motion activated recording capabilities; good for static camera
- HAS TRAFFIC MODE - have no clue what that's about - but sounded neat.
- Came with remote control.
- Functional touch-screen for settings
- Separate CAMERA and VIDEO modes - a press of the camera or video button will transfer you into that mode, after-which you can hit 'Menu' to access that functionality's menu/configuration.

Questionable factors:

- Battery is a little weak, could be because of the IR light? -- but go ahead and order a couple extra NP-120 batteries as I had and you'll have some extra juice. (I will keep better track of battery run-time for the review update next time)
- No place to jack in an external mic (Wanted to setup a parabolic mic for audio testing)

For 200 dollars you seriously cannot beat this camcorder for every-day usage, and amazing night-time outings!

**Don't forget to set your date and time, otherwise your first ghost hunt will be on January 1st, 2011 :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost hunting camcorder, July 6, 2013
Now if you are looking to buy a ghost hunting camcorder this one works like a dream i cannot belive what i was seeing this will light up a dark room but you do need additional lighting to light up a larger room the service was great and answered all my questions the camera was packed very well and got it 3 days after i ordered it . Now back to the ghost hunting the very first night i used it in a very dark room i could see very well and to my surprise i could see orbs moving across the room not just 1 but 2 of them. Well i just cannot say enough about the camcorder and the service i would be here most of the day . So ghost Hunters give this camera a shot you will not be dissapointed i know iam not . I could not be happier with the camcorder.... Like always nice to shop on amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item for the price., April 27, 2013
I bought this camcorder because I was interested in ghost hunting and didn't have a whole lot of money to get things started. So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of video and the quality of the IR light. I bought a Phantom light along with it because I thought for sure the small IR light that comes standard wouldn't provide efficient light to investigate. Although the extra light I bought illuminates the room more...it's not absolutely necessary to buy the extra light. The IR that comes with the camcorder is more than sufficient if you cant afford extra lighting. It also has a feature which I absolutely love....motion sensor. You can set the camcorder to only record when there's motion. It works flawlessly and to me is a great asset when ghost hunting.
The only thing I would recommend is to buy an extra battery pack. The battery will last between 1-2 hours before needing a recharge and you cant recharge the battery while it's in the camcorder. You have to remove it and put in in the charger that comes with it. That would be the only downfall for this camcorder. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Buy, May 16, 2013
This little cam does what the Big cams do for a sheer fraction of the price. The IR is incredible , getting a bigger IR light though , The quality is awesome My only Complain is playback volume at max level on the cam isnt great ., however it records great and plays back fine once its on the puter .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lil camcorder, September 4, 2013
This thing is so small and that is a good thing, it is just a fantastic camcorder. If it were just a everyday use camcorder for this price, it would be amazing, but then throw in a IR camcorder and full spectrum too! The video in day or night is very crisp, not grainy at all, and that was what I was worried about for the price, but I do not regret this buy at all and the company is just great to deal with, I will definitely buy from them again in a heartbeat..

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than I expected, August 28, 2013
Rick Dorsino (Whitesboro, NY, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this for use in some local ghost hunting trips, with an important feature being that it is still capable of normal light recording as well as IR and Full Spectrum. When I first took the (small) camcorder out of the box, it looked like any other brand new camcorder, which was impressive considering it had been opened and modified to work in IR and full spectrum. I charged everything up (including the Polaroid IR light I also purchased) and couldn't wait until it got dark. The first time I turned it on and went through the (decent) touch screen I THOUGHT I turned on IR mode correctly, because it did pick up some of the IR light, and I was very dissapointed, I wasn't expecting greatness but I was expecting more. turns out I set it for low light, because when I correctly put this in IR mode, it was like someone turned on all the lights in the room. crystal clear sharp images, not grainy at all, way beyond my expectaions. I then switched to full spectrum mode and again, extremely impressive. I can't speak about battery life or anything else, but I can honestly say they did a great job with the modifications and it works as advertised, and well beyond what I hoped for. It even came with a case and several cables, even an HDMI cable. very happy so far

5.0 out of 5 stars One Awesome Camera, August 24, 2013
If you watch shows like Ghost Adventures or Ghost Hunters, this camera does what theirs do. Great HD video and still pictures. Built in IR light gives you enough for a small room, but coupled with an external light makes IR even better. Switch on full spectrum and things get interesting. Great battery life. Love the touch screen. Easy to use, easy to carry, and I know it will get the job done on my next investigation. Cleveland Paranormal Supply company has great support, prompt answers to emails, and the product shipped and arrived faster than I thought. Great service. Will be shopping with them again!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, April 28, 2013
Just received the Camcorder yesterday, and like the other reviewer, I mainly purchased to use for Ghost Hunting which I have yet to do, with this device in particular. It came very well packaged and is clearly "Brand New". Arrived as scheduled and is compact without being too small. Buttons are easy to see and find and I've tried almost all of them and they seem to work seamlessly, although i will review on buttons again once I've really put it to use. The touch screen IS EXCELLENT, I love it! The one thing I'm waiting to see is if my time and date show up as I record because i need it to whether on playback or during record, I don't care, but I need to see that in order to match up evidence my team catches on other Video and Audio - I assume if you can set it, it should be visible, but will let you know. It came with a nice soft case and all parts that were to be included, are. The last thing i need to check on is whether or not there is an online manual, because the print on the manual is small (no different than any other manual you receive with a technical device, but i have trouble with small print). Also, I emailed the seller before purchase, and they responded in 24 hours, very nice. Once i check this out in more depth, I may change my rating to the highest or not, but so far, so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the price! Night vision is AWESOME!!, September 18, 2013
Even on the most expensive model cameras, night vision is missing or is so bad you dont want to use it. The camera itself is already a great one for regular use however the infrared is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! The only 2 issues I have is the on-screen menu is a little tough to navigate but once you have your setting right, you wont need to use it that much. The other issue really isnt with the camera but the fact is there isnt a bigger battery to be able to hold a longer charge, but they sell their batteries cheap. Great Product at even a better price!!