10x20 is the same as saying 2x magnification? Frequently when we go buy Binoculars or see some on Amazon.com, it says 10x20 or 7x50. Does 10x20 not mean 10x magnification but 2x? That number comes from 20 / 10. So 7x50 is 7x (by 50 / 7)... and 10x20 is actually 10x20mm? Are those the focal length of the eyepiece versus the object lens, so whatever they are, a division can give the real magnification power?
asked by Epsilon Delta on August 29, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
no 10x is ten times magnification of whatever you're looking at - the 20 is objective lens size.
Christine answered on September 4, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
To add to previous post objective lens is the the size of the lenses furhest from the eyes. A larger lens size. allows more light to enter binocs useful at dusk or overcast situations
Jason S. Stoyanov answered on September 7, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
10x20 means 10 times magnification with a 20mm Objective lens size.
BSJ answered on November 16, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
By the way, is the 10x magnification actually 3.3x width and 3.3x height? (making it 10x for area of an object) That's because if I see a house far away being a height of say, 1cm, then I use a binoculars that says 10x magnification and the house doesn't look like 10cm tall... at most it looks like 2cm or 3cm tall. So that's why I really wonder how the "10x" comes from.
Epsilon Delta answered on November 16, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product