6,516 Reviews
 (4,510)
 (1,261)

5.0 out of 5 stars Through the past darkly - a no spoilers review
"11/22/63", Stephen King's latest, might just be his greatest. Seriously. At least as far as "mainstream" fiction or "literature" goes. Yes, it is built around a well-used SF trope, time travel, but really, the portal to the past that Jake Epping is shown in the back of an aluminum diner is only the launch mechanism for this fantastic journey. There are no monsters...
Published on November 15, 2011 by James Tepper

3.0 out of 5 stars A glass half full...
I started this book with high expectations. While I have never been an avid Stephen King fan, I nevertheless enjoyed his last couple of books and had no doubt that this one would be at least as entertaining. Luckily, I was right...Unluckily, I was right only about half of the book.

Jake Epping is just your typical, average, divorced high school teacher until...
Published on December 20, 2011 by C. Young

‹ Previous | 1162 163 164652 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Thar She Blows, June 10, 2014
The Kennedy assassination is the Great White Whale of speculative fiction writers writing a time-travel story. It obsessed the late Gene Roddenberry to the point that many of his colleagues started tuning him out.

So when Stephen King, the Godzilla of speculative fiction, takes on the hunt for the assassination story, it's news.

There are several points that I'd like to make. Time Travel as a plot element is fraught with booby traps, but Mr. King is no booby. He places limits on his time travel that provide a "ticking clock" to the narrative. He lets us know early in the book that actions in the past must have unintended consequences. And in the end he never lets 'History' overwhelm the human story that grows out of the narrative.

Mr. King has done his homework. He writes of a time when I was a Jr. High school student. If he wallows in nostalgia for a while, it's not bad. I enjoyed the wallow. He also points out the awful shortcomings of those times.

Summing up, Mr. King is one of our greatest living storytellers. I was engaged by the story he tells in this book. Four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, June 10, 2014
This is the first Stephen King book I've read, I don't do horror. It was an amazing book with a great and detailed storyline! I could hardly put it down! Now I know what the big draw to a Stephen King book is all about!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Stephen King, June 10, 2014
This book had all of the Stephen Kingisms. His ability to talk about different time periods with such vast knowledge and take us there. I was a little disappointed in the end but I am in a period of life where I like happy endings. It reads quickly just like many of his other books because you don't want to stop reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't like the super natural., June 10, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63 (Kindle Edition)
If you accept the"magguffin", (how do you spell that) you get a fine description of life in the US in the early sixties with lots of suspense and a twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, June 9, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63 (Kindle Edition)
a reformed Stephen King fan, I never knew if I'd want to read him again. someone suggested this book and I am so glad. the mix of historical events and fiction was perfect. and the consequences of changing history were thought provoking. well worth the time spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling from the start., June 8, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Hardcover)
11/22/1963 is my favorite Stephen King book. It is in equal parts a science fiction time-travel story, a romance, and a historical thriller. The character development is amazing, and you feel with the protagonist as he suffers and fumbles again and again on his mission. Best of all, unlike "It" where I gave up after 300 pages because nothing had happened yet, this story will grab you from page one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings a new twist to what if., June 8, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63 (Kindle Edition)
King keeps your interest , makes you think about time travel, its consequences and even includes a great love interest. Well worth the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars terrific, June 8, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Paperback)
Page turner. Makes you think what could have been.
Stephen King can think up great stories and knows how to put them down on paper

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read!, June 7, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63 (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed every word! Very interesting and a very well-written story of time travel and how it can change the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for all time., June 7, 2014
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Hardcover)
In every great artists career they have a late surge, a return to form, or in King's case, one from being great to virtuoso. This novel is precisely that.

King propels us back into the past with it's smoke filled ambience and rudimentary technology and creates a dream like quality. The past is about the mistakes we make but can we change them - no - we just have to live with them, don't we?

Kennedy, for all his human flaws was a President, who, along with his 'kid brother' could have prevented many things that America and the world would have to grapple with in the decades after their deaths.

Jake Epping/George Amberson realizes this and he wants to make the world a better place, the author knew different, whatever we do in the present we can't change the past.

Is love and our past mistakes obdurate? The romance in the novel is deftly handled and one as tragic as Kennedy's last moments. It has a denouement which is as loving as any deity flowing in time. One where time stands still and I suppose like the date,11/22/63, time did stand still.

The novel is ostensibly about the Kennedy assassination but it's underlying motif isn't...It is about love and time.

‹ Previous | 1162 163 164652 | Next ›