4.0 out of 5 stars Despite the other review
I bought this for my wife's birthday despite some of the review's here, but based on some gourmet coffee expert reviews.
We replaced a Cuisinart 12 cup drip maker (do miss the two extra cups). This unit is larger than the Cuisinart, a bit of an adjustment for the counter space.
Published 21 months ago by Norm

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee - Coffeemaker is Poorly Made, Failed in 44 Days
Published on September 23, 2012 by Jean Luc Herman

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite the other review, January 17, 2013
This review is from: BODUM 11001-01US Bistro B. Over Automatic Pour-Over Electric Coffeemaker, 1.2-Liter (Kitchen)
It does not have a timer or all the knobs and buttons that the Cusinart had (that we almost never used).
The Bodum uses less energy since there is no warmer and most important for us, makes better tasting coffee.

I cannot speak for how long it will last, as others mentioned, for this price you would expect a good long time. If it does fail, I hope that customer support will help resolve problems.
I tinker with stuff, so a failed solenoid I would probably attempt to fix myself, but I would not be happy if it was in the first year of ownership. We have had the Cuisinart for 4 years and a Krups for around 5 years before it (both still worked when retired).

We have had no issues with mess, leaks, overflows, or spills. It is really easy to use. We use a medium grind (probably important to not use fine grind); count to 10 in our Braun grinder.

Again, despite what someone had posted, the carafe keeps the coffee hot for more than 3 hours; at 1 hour, it is still really really hot. I will take the thermometer to it one of these day.

Regarding construction, it is basically a plastic coffee maker, so if you are expecting something heavy with metal parts, this is not it. I do wish the plastic was heavier.
It has a rather techie look, showing the hot water go through the glass pipe, visible wires soldered to the copper heater, etc. We find it appealing.

The flavor of the coffee produced is night-and-day with the Cuisinart; so smooth. It reminds me of the coffee you get at high-end restaurants or coffee houses. My wife's first comment was "It is missing the bite" which seems like the a comment that the coffee was less flavorful, but you quickly realize you are just missing the undesirable flavors. Side by side comparison, drinking the Bodum coffee then the Cuisinart coffee is like tasting a $100 cabernet and then tasting a $10 cab; there is that much difference. I think it probably has to do with the water temperature while brewing, but just speculation. Whether or not it is a real pour-over brew really makes no difference to me. I may get one of the pour-over filters and compare the coffee someday, but I don't see sacrificing the convenience of the automatic brewer.

So far, I am happy with the unit, but do think it is over-priced; it should be $150.

Update: I measured the water temp today with an electronic meat thermometer. It read 203 degrees in the "shower" that pours the water over the coffee grounds during brewing; 182 degrees (initially) in the first cup poured a few minutes after brewing completed (note: the temp of the coffee drops quickly as it sits in a ceramic cup). An hour later, the temp poured to a cup was 168 and at 3 hours 154 degrees.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee - Coffeemaker is Poorly Made, Failed in 44 Days, September 23, 2012
I'll start off by stating that the Bodum Bistro Electric Pour Over makes the best coffee I've ever had from a machine. It's fast: a full pot of coffee will brew in about 2 minutes, and is designed to heat water to the optimal temperature (205ºF) to extract the best flavor from your coffee. The carafe is stainless steel lined, insulated, and will keep coffee hot for about 5 hour.

However, there are issues with the build quality. The exterior machine itself is comprised of two plastic shells that are supposed to interlock; if they are nor aligned properly (like mine was when it arrived), the slots that hold the coffee filter will be out of alignment, and you will not be able to properly insert the filter. But this was relatively easy to fix, but still disappointing: a $275 coffee machine should be assembled properly.

So, why am I giving this only two stars? The machine failed to brew this morning 44 days of service. It would not heat the water. I concluded this was due to a solenoid failure -- which is completely unacceptable for a $275 machine that is two months old.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to keep your Bodum from breaking, October 28, 2013
I've owned two of these coffee pots. Why? Well, the first one broke, and I couldn't figure out how to get warranty service so I gave up and bought another. Why? Because they make the fastest, best brewed coffee I've ever tasted. Somehow Bodum just plain got the taste perfect. But reliability? It's bad. Really bad. Both my pots stopped working, they just wouldn't turn on any more. I'm electrical engineer, so let the fun begin. I tore into one of the pots to see if I could trouble shoot it. Piece of cake. Both pots just had a problem with the float switch. The pots didn't turn on because they thought that there was no water in them. What I realized was that they both broke just after I had left water in them for several days or a week. I had filled it up but never turned it on, and somehow that's causing the float switch to fail. After some trial and error, I got one of them working. SO DON"T LEAVE WATER IN THE POT, always either brew or dump the water out. BTW - I had outstanding support from bodum on the second pot. I just emailed their sales department and included a copy of my receipt, they had a new pot out to me in 6 days. They were amazing. So maybe they've heard the message and are providing better support.

Bottom line: if you can afford $250 for a coffee pot, this one is worth it. Just don't leave water in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and makes fantastic coffee, September 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 2:01 Mins

The Bodum Bistro is the best coffeemaker I've ever used. In addition to looking great, it makes fantastic coffee. It's easy to use and maintain. The thermos jug keeps the coffee hot for about two hours.

I filmed this short video to show you the Bodum Bistro in action - hope this helps. I recommend this coffeemaker and it gets two thumbs up from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly constructed - but coffee tastes great..., August 12, 2013
After waiting months to be able to purchase this machine I was disappointed immediately upon removing it from the box. After reading many reviews I immediately noticed all the flaws mentioned by my fellow reviewers. I originally dismissed them assuming Bodum would not release something this expensive so poorly constructed.

Pros
* This truly does change the taste of your coffee I was impressed I actually noticed the difference on my first cup.
* Coffee is hot very hot
* Carafe keeps coffee hot for a 2 hours or longer if you prime it for 10 minutes with boiling water first.
* Looks cool when brewing as the water climbs the pipe
* The reservoir removes so you can pour fresh water directly rather than using coffee pot to fill.
* Easy to clean all parts that touch your coffee and water
* Brews hot coffee very fast (about 6 minutes) which makes up for the small 10 cup brew size

Cons
* Terrible quality construction
* Feels cheap to the touch
* The top cover is always flopping around and never stays locked in place.
* Beneath the top cover the housing itself is warped making a large gap in the assembly
* The shower head sometimes sprays water at a high pressure scattering the grinds into impossible to clean areas
* Speaking of impossible to clean areas if your filter ever gets clogged (guest accidentally used espresso grind) or you spill a little coffee on the base it works its way into the seams and permanently (unless you disassemble) stains the inside. 1 good clog and that nice see through plastic becomes not so pretty...
* The Carafe lid (red version) was permanently stained within 1 week (2 brews per day) does not look very nice
* The Carafe lid and body when cleaning with water only and drying with a soft cloth the red coloring is transferring to the towel. Is this stuff going into my coffee???

I was excited about this machine so I dealt with it for 8 months, now to me I am riddled with buyers remorse this is the first of many Bodum products that somehow must have skipped their quality control team. By the way good luck calling Bodum USA Support. I chose the option for customer support "0" and let it ring for over 25 minutes before I hung up.

UPDATE: When prepping this for return I noticed at the top, the ring that surrounds the shower head was bubbled out and the red plastic was actually flaking off into the coffee basket. This is another serious design flaw...

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes great tasting coffee, July 15, 2012
This maker makes great tasting coffee, looks good in the kitchen, and is simple to operate.

The caraffe keeps the coffee warm for a while, but not as much as I'd like. I even pre-warm it by putting hot water in it prior to brewing. I'm not going to call people crazy for their opinion that states the opposite of mine, as I respect their opinions. I like hot coffee. I make a pot and my wife and I have it finished within 2 hours. The cups at the end are warm (I like mine black), but my wife still has to nuke hers because she adds cream (yuck!).

The maker has a flimsy feeling build to it. It has a rugged or sturdy look to it in the pictures, but its plastic and it feels cheap. We'll see how it stands up to time and a few moves. I'm in the military and this maker should make a few moves with me, saving me from dark circles under my eyes for years.

The best feature, as far as I can tell, is that it brews at around 200 degrees. That really brings out the flavors. If you don't choose this one, then you should choose one based on the brewing temp. This one doesn't have a timer, but I chose to go for brewing temp over bells and whistles this time, and it's paid off. This maker brews FAST. 6 minutes for a pot. Not having a timer isn't a big deal when the wait is so short.

UPDATE: After having the coffee maker for 5 months, we don't mind not having a timer at all. We grind the beans right before brewing anyway. We'll be roasting our own beans in the near future.

We've done taste tests with this brewer, a french press and a Toddy cold brew system... this one won in blind taste tests. We are very pleased.

It's easy to clean and still looks nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - A Great Machine, July 29, 2012
My last great coffee maker was the Bosch/Porsche, that not only brewed great coffee but was beautifully designed. After thousands of gallons of coffee, however, its water pumping system wore out, and de-scaling did nothing to restore its operation. It's packed away now, and I'm hoping someday to find repair parts.
Since its demise, and its discontinued availability, I've sought an equivalent, and have owned at least 5 other coffee makers. By far the worst was the Cuisinart with the integral bean grinder. All the others brewed mediocre coffee. Reviews of all the high-end machines were mixed - inconsistent brewing temperatures, carafes that did not keep the coffee hot, etc. My Bodum stainless steel French press produced the best coffee, and because of its quality, I purchased the Bodum Bistro. It is the second coming of Bosch/Porsche.
If you're looking for a coffee maker that's Bluetooth enabled, and comes with a smartphone app that let's you set the water temperature while you're shaving in the bathroom before breakfast, keep looking. The Bodum Bistro does nothing but brew great coffee. The thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot and at a perfect temperature until it's gone, and the machine control (a single on/off switch) is easy to master without having to read a 50-page users manual. The machine's innards are visible through clear plastic from the backside, and the water distribution mechanism is accessible for cleaning by removing the top cover. Water distribution over the brewing basket is more even than even the Bosch's. The basket removes easily for filling and cleaning. The removable water reservoir makes filling the machine neat and easy. The black version looks elegant on a countertop (can't get too excited about the red, white, or green versions). The curved cutaway that holds the carafe and basket has an appealing look. If there is one criticism, it's the over abundance of plastic in the machine. The carafe is sturdy and well-balanced, but the machine itself feels just a bit cheap when handled. Bodum should add $50 to the price and add a bit of stainless steel or brushed aluminum to the machine's body to give it the quality feel that a machine of its brand and brewing excellence deserves. But this machine still gets my 5-cup rating.
Great coffee starts with great arabica beans that are ground perfectly. Check out the KitchenAid KPCG100OB ProLine Burr Grinder. It's $200, but built like a battleship, and is the best I've owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas shopping for myself is done., December 7, 2013
Quick Facts:
Brewing Time: 6:00 six minutes (leave the carafe under brew basket for two additional minutes)
Brewing Temp: 200 degrees F
Carafe Temp: 200 degrees F and then two hours later 175 degrees F ambient temp 60 degrees F.
Brew Yield: 39oz of 40oz. 1oz lost to evaporative steam and coffee ground slurry
Enjoyment: Plenty

I recently purchased the Bistro B. in Green direct from Bodum online. It arrived in three days, retail box in a shipping box. After opening I unwrapped everything and cleaned with a hydrogen peroxide cleaner. I try to limit use of surfactants and soaps with strong scents when cleaning a coffee maker. The Bodum instructions direct to merely add water to the tank and run the machine without coffee grounds once before use. Because of exposure cautions I always wash things before using them.

The green is a very appealing color to me. Construction and finish is top-mid level if the spectrum is a $10 generic coffee maker on one end and a La Pavoni espresso machine toward the other end. The design is definitely appealing. The back half of the machine is clear plastic. The heating coil in action is entertaining. The machine has one button and after pressing it hot brew water is hitting the grounds in 60 seconds. The brew time is six minutes 6:00 but leave the carafe under the brew basket for two minutes after the machine turns off. The slurry of coffee and water is still passing through the metal filter basket. If you remove the carafe then some of the basket brew is missed by the carafe and a little coffee dribbles to the base of the machine. This might be why some people have machines break, getting liquid into the base of the machine and it affecting the electrics. I especially like the use of glass in connection with the thermo coil. After that it is plastic and silicone for the showerhead drip mechanism. I really like that this machine does not use a heating plate or keep a tank of water at brewing temp. When the machine is not brewing it probably uses less than 0.5w of stand-by power.

The reason to buy the Bistro B. It does make excellent drip coffee. I haven't used it without a paper filter because I've heard fine grounds pass through the metal filter. My current set up uses a blade grinder that produces some fine particles. I see this machine as worth getting a $125-$299 conical burr grinder and here is why: The previous generic auto-drip coffee maker it replaced heated water to a variety of temperatures before spitting them on the center of the grounds funnel and used a boiler plate to keep the coffee hot. I used a 1/2 (C)up of whole beans for a 12 "cup" carafe. 12 "cups" of water went in and I'd expect 11.5 yield due to evaporation and absorption to coffee grounds. I would usually get 10 "cups" in the carafe so it might have dual purposed as a coffee maker and humidifier. Bodum instructs to only use a maximum of 8 level spoons of the included grounds scoop. I measured this as 50g of coffee grounds which is pretty close to 1/2 (C)up. For the first pot, I used 40g of coffee grounds which is 6 level spoons. The coffee had stronger flavors with a nice round mouth feel, no bitterness and no added acidity. I like coffee espresso strong but I also want it flavorful. I am not saying this makes espresso strong coffee but it is flavorful. Using the exact same water source, same time to control barometric pressure and environmental temp, approximately the same grind on 1/2 (c)up of beans from the same bag: I was tasting different notes from the Bistro brew. The Bistro brew also was less caustic though it is making my teeth squeaky. The generic coffee maker brew gave my mouth the MSG feeling of having the surface of my endothelium stripped clean. The beans are mostly at fault here. My conclusion was that I would probably be happy using 30g of coffee grounds for a 10 "cup" carafe and possibly save 10lbs of coffee a year, conservatively. That means I would save about $30 a year or more. My second pot was with 32g of coffee grounds and I'm getting brighter coffee flavors because I don't have to pack the basket with grounds to get flavor.

Thus far I am very pleased with this purchase instead of the Bunn models I was considering. Most Bunn machines have a holding tank of water kept at brewing temp while in stand by mode. My main preferences for this machine are design, use, and aesthetics. I considered commercial machines but between the price and energy consumption it didn't balance durability. I like that it does not constantly keep a tank of water at brewing temp. I can also see almost every part of the water path and clean it. Though the unit is larger than a standard machine, it looks good.

An important note on using this machine and probably all coffee machines: use a separate container for adding water to the machine. When you use the coffee carafe to add water it is adding some of the oils from the coffee beans to the water tank Then these oils get cooked in the thermo coil and contaminate the path before the coffee grounds. Besides with this machine you want the carafe tempered with warm water so it is less of a heat sink for the coffee brew.

This particular machine comes with a proprietary carafe. A generic carafe will not work with this machine. There is a sensor toward the back of the base plate the carafe depresses to allow brewing as well as a top that depresses a valve in the coffee grounds basket for drainage. It is a stainless steel vacuum insulated interior with a plastic overlay. Initial brew temp was measured at 192 and after two hours dropped to 170 degrees F. The carafe was tempered with boiling water before brew. I like that it is metal and not glass or plastic as the holding tank. The lid screws to the body and it is probably possible to take it apart. I haven't figured out the handle. There is a disk at the base which applies pressure to the steel container so it seals with the inside top of the body. Overall I really like the carafe and wish more machines used vacuum insulation instead of a boiler plate. I drink the carafe in about two hours and it's still mouth burning hot. I'm sure it would make the machine huge but a carafe that keeps it hot for 24 hours like the Stanley thermos would be very interesting. As a note the capacity is 10 "cups" or 40oz.

Last thing is checking the temperatures. The brew basket is measuring 200 degrees F and the carafe contents is measuring 200 degrees F using a conventional glass and metal thermometer. Current conditions are 60 degrees F in my apartment and it is 12 degrees F outside. My initial tests showed that brew basket and carafe temp was reaching 192 degrees F. I attributed a slightly low temp to ambient temperature. For a subsequent brew, I ran 0.5L or 5oz of water through the machine without grounds in the basket so the water pathway and the carafe would be tempered, up to temp. After 5oz passed I turned the machine off, added grounds to the brew basket, topped the water tank back to 40oz, and swirled the contents of the carafe before dumping. After this brew run I learned to leave the carafe under the brew basket for two minutes after the machine turns off because water is still passing from the filter basket to the carafe. I purchased commercially ground coffee and did not use a paper filter. When I measured the slurry in the basket it read 200 degrees F. This machine at current elevation and barometric pressure is spot on temp for coffee brewing. Ideal is 200 to 205 degrees F.

Here are the things I don't like of the machine:

1) The water tank has a lid that sits on the top. It should have a more secure closure. There is also an integrated swivel handle under the lid that is part of the water tank body. I didn't use it to remove the tank for cleaning and overall the handle/lid combo is a little clumsy. I do like that to add water I don't have to remove the tank. I can remove the lid and pour water in the tank. But I think the water tank needs some design polishing.

2) The machine is a couple inches taller than the previous machine and this limits access to add water to the tank. This means I move the machine from being flush with the wall to make coffee because there isn't much room between the cupboard and the machine. The machine doesn't radiate heat or produce a steam column out of the top like the old machine so I would like to keep it by the wall and have more counter space. I recognize the location of the tank is crucial to the operation of the machine because the bottom of the tank is above the top of the thermo coil, but I also don't want to remove the tank every time. Removing the tank increases wear of the tank to the machine coupling valve as well as using the integrated handle is like sticking my hand in the tank. If I remove the tank I have to set it on something and in doing so I could contaminate the connection valve at the bottom of the tank.

2) I agree with other reviews about the top cover. The top cover is a little cheap looking and feeling when handling it, but it's there to cover the top and allow access for cleaning the top half of the plumbing. It looks good at completing the aesthetics of the machine and functions in insulating the plumbing from the environment. I would like it if it had a snap or locking cam instead of sitting on top of the machine. I don't like things that are manufactured to just sit on something and yes I hate coasters.

3) Price. I was able to purchase this from Bodum on "Cyber Monday" for $99 including shipping. At that price this machine is superior to most any other drip coffee machine. Purchase price on Amazon at this time is $167 and it is definitely worth that. I think the my purchase limit for a drip coffee maker is $175. Bodum lists this machine on their website at it's current retail value of $250. For that much there would need to be some design changes. The design, construction, and build are good but unless this coffee machine is guaranteed to last five years or more I would not be able to recommend this product at $250. If it was $250 for the Bistro B. coffee maker and grinder then I would definitely recommend the package at that price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forewarned is forearmed..., August 12, 2013
While I love Bodum design, this coffeemaker is a huge disappointment. I am now on my third unit in a year and a half. I received NO service or satisfaction from Bodum when my unit failed. No warning- just stopped working. I was diligent about cleaning unit by descaling so that was not the problem. Sur Le Tab replaced first unit with no questions asked. They are a fabulous resource. I bought third unit on sale at Sur Le Tab for my beach house, and they told me unit was no longer being carried by them. Gee, I wonder why! Within 2 months, this unit too failed. Still own second unit and await its failure. When it comes, I will go back to French press. Sad part is Bodum coffeemaker makes delicious coffee when it works. Please save your money and do NOT purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious HOT Coffee, September 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My last coffee maker was a quite pricy Zojirushi, which I got here on Amazon nearly 8 years ago. It was a great coffeemaker because it was the first I had found which made truly HOT coffee. Coffee brewed in the mediocre warm water most coffeemakers have just doesn't taste as good as it should.

With the Zojirushi coffeemaker starting to fade (though it gave good service - a 5-star machine), the reviews enticed me to try this Bodum Bistro Coffeemaker.

I like it. The water is even hotter than my other, and the pour-over system with the non-paper filter makes EXCELLENT coffee! Best tasting coffee I've gotten from any coffeemaker ever!

The thermos pot held the heat very well, kept it hot a long time, and was still drinkably warm at the end of the day.

So, why did I give it only 4 stars?

1 - There's no timer. It's on or off, that's it.

2 - The red color I got (through the Vine program) is kind of a cheap-looking red. It's not a deep, rich color, but a bright, clownish red. It makes the plastic of the machine look cheap. I'd think the black would look better.

3 - The top cover piece doesn't really stay in place as it ought, it's continually getting bumped out of position.

I did not have any of the problems others here complained of. My machine works great, no problems.

A bit utilitarian in look and function, but REALLY GOOD COFFEE, and that's the point of it!

$316.87
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.