4.0 out of 5 stars A visit with characters we have come to love
Published on August 30, 2011 by Holly

3.0 out of 5 stars Male "heroes" not very heroic
I have read the entire Cedar Cove series and this one really disappointed me, mostly because of the men in some of the newer love stories.

Published on October 16, 2011 by Sandy Kay

4.0 out of 5 stars A visit with characters we have come to love, August 30, 2011
I have largely loved following the Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber. I distinctly remember reading that very first one and thinking that when I grew up I wanted to be Olivia. There are still story lines from many years ago that have stuck with me and characters I remember fondly. The series has given me many hours of joy and entertainment and it was with a heavy heart that I reviewed the last book, "1022 Evergreen Place" and gave it a 3-star rating (which I actually thought was pretty generous). Knowing that this is the penultimate novel in the series, I had very mixed emotions about reading this one. I was hoping many of the problems of the previous novel had been fixed, but fearful they weren't. To jump directly to the bottom line --- the old Debbie is back!

In this latest novel, the main story features the relationship between Rachel and Bruce. Rachel and Bruce are having marital difficulties stirred up by Bruce's daughter from his previous marriage. Jolene and Rachel got along very well and were close until Rachel married Bruce and then things deteriorated. By the beginning of this novel, things are so bad between them that Rachel decides she can no longer stay in the home. The remainder of the book follows them as they try to figure out if there is any way to make this marriage successful and how they are going to cope with Jolene. Ben and Charlotte are also a major story line along with Lync Wise and his wife.

What really bothered me in the previous book was the number of story lines (too many) and the amount of time devoted to back story (too much). I was very concerned that as the books continued to progress, that problem would only get worse and to my great relief, Ms. Macomber "fixed" this issue. "1105 Yakima Street" is back to featuring only a few main couples, allowing enough time devoted to each for the reader to really become involved in their lives. In addition, there is just enough back-story given to refresh your mind as you read along, but not enough to bog down the narrative.

Bottom line: I am very happy to say that Debbie Macomber is back to her usual form and has published another highly entertaining read in this latest effort. There is only going to be one more book in the series before it ends - a Christmas book - and I am now eagerly awaiting its publication.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Enjoyable Trip to Cedar Cove, September 5, 2011
Antoinette Klein (Hoover, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
Cedar Cove has always been one of my favorite places for a vicarious visit and this latest installment was no exception. The characters we have come to know so well are all in town and dealing with the joys and problems that keep their world turning.

This book deals in large part with two of the characters who are pregnant. Rachel Peyton of 1105 Yakima Street is having so much trouble dealing with her stepdaughter Jolene that she decides, for the sake of her unborn baby, to leave her husband Bruce. Meanwhile, Gloria Ashton is dealing with single motherhood and facing the ordeal of telling Dr. Chad Timmons he is the father of her child.

In addition to these main story lines, we have Olivia and Will coping with the aging problems of Charlotte and Ben, Grace learning to love again, Linc and Lori coming to terms with her parents, and updates on Nate, Roy, Corrie, Linnette, Mack, Mary Jo, Terri, Christie, James, Shirley, Miranda, and more. New to the scene is Beth Morehouse, dog trainer and Christmas tree farm owner, who happens to live at 1225 Christmas Tree Lane which is also the title of the next and final installment in this cozy series.

If you're a fan of the Cedar Cove series, I think you will find this installment as enjoyable as all the others and a good way to sit down and catch up with all your favorites.

3.0 out of 5 stars Male "heroes" not very heroic, October 16, 2011
Sandy Kay (Twin Cities, Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

This book continues the stories, started in earlier books in the series, of the married but separate Rachel & Bruce (and Bruce's daughter Jolene), Chad & Gloria, Linc & Lori (married but Lori's parents object), and Will & Miranda. In addition many familiar characters from Cedar Cove also appear in the book, including Charlotte & Ben Rhodes, Olivia & Jack Griffin, and Grace & Cliff Harding. Although I enjoy revisiting familiar characters, having so many of them with settled marriages have significant stories left the author less time to devote to the unfinished romances from earlier books.

But my biggest issue with the book involved two of the men and one of the relationships. Bruce & Rachel fell in love and got married in an earlier book but his teen daughter created problems, especially after Rachel got pregnant, so Rachel moved out. In that earlier book, I thought Bruce was a bad father and worse husband as he ignored the conflict, and really hoped when their story resolved, he would shape up and be the man his wife and daughter need him to be. Unfortunately that didn't happen in this book. He basically stalks Rachel trying to get her to come home and doesn't pay much attention to what his daughter is doing or where she is going. Even a few pages before the end of the book, he doesn't insist his daughter give up the front seat of the car to his pregnant wife. And he continues a "family" outing with just his daughter when Rachel is too sick to continue, leaving her alone in the car. Jolene has a miraculous change of heart so Bruce doesn't ever have to man up and be a real father.

Will is just a jerk of a character I can't imagine why Miranda even wants to work for him, much less have any romantic feelings for him. Will hasn't changed much since he was fooling around with Grace in a book earlier in the series while he was still a married man. "Bad boys" do make good romantic heroes, but only if they change their stripes and turn into good guys. I didn't see any sign of that in this book, but their story is still in progress so maybe the last novel of the series will change my mind.

The story of Chad and Gloria was really unsatisfying. Other than two hot & heavy one-night stands in earlier books, the reader doesn't see much reason for these two to be together, though they supposedly have unspoken feelings for each other. Part of the reason I didn't like this story was because I did a mediation for a real life version of this couple. A one-night stand resulted in a pregnancy so the couple decided to try dating again and got married. In the real life version, it would have been better for them to just be co-parents because they grew to hate each other, divorced, and made their poor son's life hell with their bickering on how to raise him. They'd have hated each other less if they'd never married.

Having read the entire series and enjoyed most of them, I will definitely read 1225 Christmas Tree Lane (Cedar Cove Novels). But this book really disappointed me. Were it not for the lovely story about elderly parents and time for assisted living and a good resolution to Linc and Lori's trouble, I'd have given this book only 2 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as always!, August 14, 2011
rhonda (Fairview, UT) - See all my reviews
I read the first six books and than I forgot about them. I still enjoy the characters and am sorry I missed a few in between. So next I will read the last book in the series.
Rachel has left her husband of less than a year of marriage. She is pregnant and the fighting of her step daughter and her husband not wanting to jump in just wanted peace. Rachel had to leave for her health and the babys. She keeps loosing weight instead of gaining weight. Her blood pressure is way high.
Rachel had a good relationship with Jolene for years before she married Bruce. Jolene was jealous and glad that Rachel moved out and doesn't want her dad to have anything to do with her.
Rachel has no where to go and her old boyfriend said he was renting a room in a house and thier was one extra the owner was at sea at the moment. Nate said, "He had a girl friend so she did not have to worry about him wanting to get back with her. So Rachel moved into with Nate her room was on main floor and the other bedrooms where upstairs.
Bruce dosen't know where and who she is living with in fact no one does. Bruce is trying to get Rachel back and tries to talk at the salon but Jolene and friends show up and start yelling. Rachel boss does not like it. Finaly rachel gets a job where Bruce had no idea where she lives or works, she has blocked his cell phone number so he cant even call her.
Bruce finally goes to counsling when Rachel first wanted to go.
It also tells about whats going on in a lot of familar characters of past books and what they are up too.
It was good to read it all again. I was given this ebook in exchange for honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1105 Yakima Street (Cedar Cove), August 30, 2011
This review is from: 1105 Yakima Street (Cedar Cove) (Kindle Edition)
I have been a loyal fan of both the Cedar Cove Series and of Debbie Macomber. So much so that I have introduced my daughter to them and we anxiously await the next installment. Debbie Macomber has a style that keeps you wanting to come back for more and this book was no exception. Cannot wait until next month for the last of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cedar Cove is the best Debbie Macomber series!, September 4, 2011
I discovered this series 10 years ago. Once I read the first book I was hooked. This book is just as great as all the others. Although, I would recommend the reader to read all of the other books in the series if you haven't already. Otherwise you may be lost. I am just disapointed that this is the second to last book in this series. I hope Debbie Macomber will reconsider writing more. Every year at this time I look forward to the new book in the series to come out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!!, May 1, 2013
RaeG (COLUMBIA, KY, US) - See all my reviews
Had a hard time keeping up with all the story lines going on...and Bruce??? Seriously, put on your big boy pants and deal with your daughter!! I would have run fast and not look back. As for the rest of the characters, they were easily fortgettable. Sorry, Debbie missed the mark on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spineless, stalking whiner as hero????, November 22, 2012
This review is from: 1105 Yakima Street (Cedar Cove) (Kindle Edition)
OK. We have a pregnant, newly wed, apparently really sweet woman, Rachel, with a spiteful, vicious, spoiled-rotten monster of a stepdaughter, and a spineless, whining, stalking, bullying husband. The husband wrings his hands because his wife walks away after having enough of being tormented by the stepdaughter until she is stressed out, sick, and close to losing her baby from dealing with the monster stepdaughter and the useless, self centered whiny excuse for a man she is married to who won't say boo to the brat. While she is away, he panders to the daughter and stalks the wife, trying to get her to come back. Oh, but let's not try to control the monster child! He lets her cook him dinner, clean his house, and make horrible statements about Rachel both to him, and to others, and never even lifts his voice. And we are supposed to be rooting for this sick and twisted relationship? Of course, the author makes Rachel forgive all, the daughter makes a miraculous change, and it all ends happily ever after. . . where is my barf bag, anyway? What kind of woman is so weak minded as to think that a man who puts her through this kind of treatment for MONTHS is worth going back to?!?!? Sickening.

This author was recommended to me because I have been under a lot of stress lately, and I wanted something 'fluffy' to read. Well, it actually stressed me out even more than I was before! I read a review that says that "I am very happy to say that Debbie Macomber is back to her usual form . . ." If this is her usual form, I am amazed and disgusted that apparently she has written over 100 books of this perverted nonsense and she is still selling books - and still getting good reviews. I counted the above described spineless monster, the monster stepdaughter, a pregnant single woman in a twisted relationship with the father of the child (who is in a relationship with another woman who he is still seeing), a psychotic rich man who has isolated his wife and daughter and tried to drive his daughter's husband into bankruptcy. Oh, and a 60-year-old male gallery owner who is totally self involved - and of course his gallery worker, a very nice woman, is enamored with him, and puts up with his treatment, which includes calling her obsessive, controlling (pot, kettle anyone?) - oh, and "big-boned"....

No more of this. I think I will go pull out a horror story. At least I know that that is going to be horrific. The beliefs of these readers who think that these kinds of behaviors, these kinds of relationships, are not only acceptable but worth writing "romance" novels about says something really scary about the state of women's minds. Something deeply scary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sap and syrup SPOILERS, September 11, 2011
mys_reader "mys_reader" (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I know Macomber's books are "sweet", but this could give you diabetes just from reading it.

The main storyline is Rachel dealing with a spiteful monster of a stepdaughter and a spineless husband who alternates between trying to bully his wife into coming back (never mind that she's pregnant, sick, stressed out, and his daughter is a vile little brat who makes things worse) and wringing his hands helplessly over his precious snowflake/monster child.

Bruce is a weakling for not disciplining his monster offspring.
Rachel is a weakling for even thinking of taking him back.
Jolene is an spoiled brat who should have been sent off to boot camp to get her hiney kicked.

But of course, they all come together at the end in a big group hug after Jolene miraculously sees the light. No real issues solved, just a big pile of goo.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEBBIE MACOMBER: Knitter of words!, March 10, 2013
Kimberly J. Ridlon (Shrewsbury, Vermont) - See all my reviews
Debbie is a wonderful author. She has a way of knitting words together into sweet, touching, love filled stories complete with memorable charactors. This book, 1105 Yakima Street is # 11 in her Cedar Cove series. IMHO,(I own every Cedar Cove book) to get the most pleasure out of reading this series, start with book one and read on!

Below is a complete listing of all books and novellas in the Cedar Cove series.

16 Lighthouse Road 2001 & 2010 PB

204 Rosewood Lane 2002 & 2010 PB

311 Pelican Court 2003 & 2010 PB

44 Cranberry Point 2004 & 2010 PB

50 Harbor Street 2005 & 2010 PB

5B Poppy Lane 2006 (novella)

6 Rainier Drive 2006 & 2010 PB

74 Seaside Avenue 2007 & 2010 PB

8 Sandpiper Way 2008 & 2010 PB

A Cedar Cove Christmas 2008

Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook (HC) 2009

92 Pacific Boulevard 2009 & 2010 PB

Christmas In Cedar Cove 2010: Icludes two previously published stories,
A Cedar Cove Christmas 2008 & 5B Poppy Lane 2006 (novella)

1022 Evergreen Place 2010

1105 Yakima Street 2011

1225 Christmas Tree Lane 2011

1105 Yakima Street (Cedar Cove)
$5.69