Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 11th Hour (The Women's Murder Club)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 1, 2012
First off I need to say that if you haven't read previous books in this series and you intend to read them in order please don't continue reading the review as some of the storyline will inevitably contain spoilers.

In my ongoing love/hate relationship with James Patterson; I once again pre-ordered this book (even after convincing myself I shouldn't) and set about catching up with the ladies from the Women's Murder Club. I have read each book in this series and probably like many others feel like you have a history with these women. Lindsay Boxer, a detective, Claire who is a medical examiner, Cindy the reporter and Yuki a District Attorney have been friends for a long time and their tight knit circle will never change. In the 9th book in the series I thought I would give up as some of the characters seemed to have lost their edge; however the tenth book gained some ground as the ladies seemed back to their present form. This current book also showed the ladies back to form and it was a pleasure to see them in their usual roles.

The major difference now is that Lindsay Boxer is pregnant but she certainly doesn't allow this to stop her working at her usual pace. When she and her partner Rich Conklin get called to the first murder scene they find millionaire Chaz Smith gunned down in a school. As usual, this case turns out to be one that has many elements, especially as the murder weapon was stolen from the department's evidence locker.

Shortly after both Lindsay and Rich are called to another murder scene where two heads are discovered. Being pregnant and trying to run two murder cases see Lindsay at her most vulnerable, and for a change it really suited her. The story is the typical Patterson style with short and sharp chapters keeping your interest as the story picks up pace as the two investigations take on their own leads.

This book features Lindsay as the main lady and we see a little more of her personal life creeping into her work life as she tries to manage pending motherhood, along with maintaining her marriage to ex-FBI agent Joe. We also see a lot of Cindy as she does her usual trick of trying to get the lead on a story, whilst also battling her own issues surrounding her relationship with Lindsay's partner Rich. We see less of Yuki and Claire although they still feature in the story as the ladies try to close both cases. We see Warren Jacobi, Lindsay's boss feature in the story which for me was a welcome return.

The book was written well as usual and the story itself held my interest but after finishing it, I felt like there was no real progress with the ladies. I think maybe I was expecting something major to happen with one of them to keep this series from going stale. Having said that; I still think that Patterson will keep his fans happy with this latest release.

I enjoyed the book and would certainly say it's a good one for the series. I am actually really looking forward to the next one, as I think with Lindsay having a baby and Yuki dating Lindsay's boss things may heat up for the next book. It would also be nice to see the return of Jacobi more frequently as I always thought he spiced things up. Like I say, a winning formula but would like to see something to shock in the next one.
77 comments|214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
I consider good stories to be those that are insightful, engaging and entertaining while rife with lessons. 11th Hour fulfills that. It turned out to be a well-deserved wait. The characters are very real too in a way that most people can relate to them. The pointed narratives and dialogues served their purposes. I enjoyed 11th Hour and Triple Agent Double Cross and will read them again. I like good stories that leave me feeling like I missed something in the story.
on May 21, 2012
This book is written differently than the other Women's Murder Club. I do not believe James Patterson wrote a line of this book. It is horrible. The characters have the correct names but not their "voice". The wording is extremely simple. The two story lines are chopped up and not smooth.
If I was James Patterson I would be embarrassed to put my name on this book. I know he has been co-writing most of his books lately but this is ridiculous.
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2012
I've been a die hard fan of James Patterson since I read his 1st book years ago. I own most of them and have read them all. His latest books, including "11th Hour",have disappointed me a great deal. I've found myself struggling to get to the end because they've been so predictable. The members of "The Women's Murder Club" should consider renaming their club "The Little Girls Cry Baby Club" instead. The strong, personable and independent women of the past have almost disappeared. They don't seem to be able to handle having professional jobs and personal lives concurrently. One of them has to suffer the price. This doesn't give women much hope of achieving much balance in life if they want both. Patterson seems to be losing interest in the stories as quickly as we are.
on June 22, 2012
Patterson really dumbs down the police in this one. The SFPD are apparently not competent or experienced enough to follow an alleged offender or perform a "stake out" on a suspect. Time and again they screw it up and end up getting some innocent people killed. Is the SFPD really that stupid? I do not think so. I sure would not want Lindsay Boxer working in my city. Patterson always writes her as cute and likable but boy is she dumb in this one along with the other police officers all at the expense of innocent bystanders. This is a quick read but if you want to read good police procedure go with John Sanford, T. Jefferson Parker, Michael Connelly, Lisa Gardner or Karin Slaughter. Patterson is simple, commerical and downright lazy in my opinion.
on May 8, 2012
I have really enjoyed the previous Women's Murder club books and I was looking forward to reading this one. I was disappointed with every aspect of this story. It lacked intrigue, excitement and edgy moments: it seemed to have been written just to make number 11. I finished it quickly, hoping it would get better... it did not.
on May 14, 2012
Not sure how many times I'm going to get excited for a new James Patterson book only to be disappointed. I said it before but am serious this time...I'm done reading James Patterson. Not sure why, other than greed, he's decided to stop writing his own books. Since then, he's gone down hill. This book actually started off great but then lost steam and he just couldn't pull it back together. There are too many other authors that I can read. I'm done with Patterson's books.
on March 11, 2012
When I first started to read this book I thought it was going to be better than the last several of Mr. Patterson's books. I thought the "Revenge" character was plausable and interesting. Then came the heads and the story went downhill from there. It seemed almost that there was not enough material for two books, so the two stories were brought together. Instead of being creepy, which I am sure the author(s) intended, it just became gory and rather over the top"excuse the pun" I will say this, I did finish this one because I thought it might redeem itself. Sadly, the end rather dragged until the obvious killer was found and captured. Better luck next time, James. You will need it!!!
on August 23, 2012
So disappointed. First of all, Carolyn McCormick was not the reader on this audiobook, so it was a huge loss not to have her amazing voice. She makes every other book in this series interesting and familiar. What a shame that the company did not use McCormick.
Second, this had to be the most juvenile written book in this series. I felt like a high school kid was writing this book. Did Paetro really write this? Or did her child? It does not have the maturity of the other books in this series. The crimes were outrageous, especially the heads.
Third, the story of Joe and Lindsey was preposterous. Absolutely one-dimensional and ridiculous sub-plot with a 1 minute neat ending. Are we to believe this nonsense???? And the bland dialogue especially between Rich and Cindy- worse than a middle school book.
I am hesitant to continue this series. I have enjoyed many of the books, especially #9, but this one was so poorly written that unless it improves, I may end my time with the women's murder club.
on May 26, 2012
I agree with the writer that said this book seems to have been written just so there would be an 11th, it was disappointing. I am an avid James Patterson fan and the women's murder club books have been terrific, except NOT this one I'm afraid. It didn't have the flow that the stories usually do, it was awkward and stumbled around at times. I feel like I wasted my money, an entirely new feeling where Mr. Patterson's work is concerned. I gave 2 stars only because I have a soft spot for this series.