5.0 out of 5 stars A short, creepy story just in time
Published on March 28, 2012 by Shawn Hopkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Customer reviews steered me wrong...
Published on April 26, 2012 by Bdub

2.0 out of 5 stars Customer reviews steered me wrong..., April 26, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I used to use amazon customer reviews as a rough gauge of quality when purchasing ebooks. I've realized that these reviewers are consistently leading me horribly astray, and this "book" is a shining example. This is more of a pamphlet or short story, which means character development is non-existent. Maybe a half-page is spent describing characters' back-stories, and from there they go nowhere.

This story has a beginning and end, but no middle. We go from brief introductions of the characters almost immediately to the short build up to the would-be climax that never truly materializes.

The author's understanding of the subject matter (astrophysics, relativity) is mediocre, to the point where the "smartest man in the world" in the book--who is given the responsibility of explaining the numerous puzzling events to the less intelligent characters in the book (and the audience)--provides virtually zero insight as to what is actually occuring, and instead only misleads the reader and makes the story more convoluted and vague.

There is a massive difference between a compelling science fiction story with an open-to-interpretation, thought-provoking ending and an under-developed, anemic mess. This story feels a bit like a gimmick. Perhaps we should be more careful not to crown a book as a "5-star" work of art just because it has an ambiguous ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought my Kindle skipped to the end, May 12, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I was just starting to really get into the book, and I was just thinking "Where is he going with this?" Next thing I knew, I was reading the epilogue! I thought maybe I had accidentally skipped ahead or maybe my Kindle skipped a few chapters, but no. The end was so disappointing and it seems as if the author just got lazy and decided to stop writing. Never mind the fact that there were so many typos, which is usually my first clue that I won't like the book, but you would think that he would at least wrap up the story! What a waste of my borrowed book for May!

5.0 out of 5 stars A short, creepy story just in time, March 28, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I was pleasantly surprised to get a story like this from Enright simply because it's so different than his others. But it was a fast read that only further solidifies him as the master storyteller he is. Richard Matheson takes on Left Behind and the product is fascinating. Don't expect an epic here, it can be read (and should be read) in one or two sittings. That's the brilliance of Enright's Mayan spin - it doesn't try to be anything more than what it is... a scary, fun, and unsettling trip through a suddenly deserted earth (right?). I'll be thinking of this one for a while...

PG Some mild language

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, hasty ending., June 14, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I had high hopes after the first chapter and the book seemed to have a lot of potential. However, the plot jumped around, characters weren't developed and the ending made very little sense. The author blew a good chance here and seemed like he just gave up writing mid-book.

1.0 out of 5 stars HUH???, June 1, 2012
Cat Lover Lennie (Birmingham, Al suburb) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
Don't know what to say! I was never able to understand the connection of the characters..they simply weren't well developed. I was anticipating an interesting read based on the title. Wrong! If you are looking for something like the "Left Behind" series...just keep on trucking! I almost started reading it again to try tu figure out what I had missed..but I stopped myself. Geez, that ending was appropo to nothing. I wish one of you 5 star reviewers would rewrite the thing and let us dummies know what the heck this was all about! I love a book that makes me think when I've finished, but not one that leaves me scratching my head raw in frustration!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 19, 2012
Chobman (Gilbert, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I usually don't write negative reviews, but I was fairly disappointed with this book. You can't really call it a book as it is so short, it is more of a short story or novella. It was not very complelling or engaging. Very little character development. It was an OK read, but just ended. No what I expected. Don't waste your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, April 16, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I read A LOT...I generally enjoy all genres. This book...just didn't do it for me. It has the potential to be a great work of art, unfortunately it falls short...really really short. And the ending was horrid. It was as if the author was so excited by the twist in the end that he couldn't wait to get to it and hurried through the rest of the book. And the ending wasn't that great, in fact it was a bit of a let down. Not as impressed as others with this book or this author and you can tell from all my previous reviews I try to be positive. Not much to be positive about with this book. Would read it for free but would not spend my money on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly disappointing., May 13, 2012
Amazon Customer (Greenwell Springs, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Paperback)
I have to agree with the other one star reviews here completely.

"Thought there were some pages missing." Check.

"The ending was so abrupt it felt like the writer was interrupted and just needed to finish it." Check.

"Don't waste your time with this one." Check.

"I'm glad it was free or I would have been even more disappointed that I'd paid money for it." Double check.

This "book" points out one HUGE disadvantage to the Kindle. The best part of this reading experience would be dropping the book in the trash. Deleting the file isn't nearly as satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Bending Apocalyptic Tale, April 1, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
If the Mobius Strip was to be represented in literary form, it would be this cryptic story by Enright that accomplishes such. It speaks of an end--our end, the world's end--but what is transfixing here is the beginning. Or, rather, the amorphous signpost that one expects to mark the onset of a tale. Enright has, in a brightly quirky fashion, captured that essence of life when it reaches the point where how it all began seems no closer than a forgotten horizon.

And through this twisting tale, a cast of familiar archetypes roam. The thinker. The muscle. The creative. The fallen. The forgotten. Each a piece of a puzzle that, when complete, seems instantly rearranged to imply something altogether different than what was just read.

Fascinating hardly begins to convey the texture of this story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing..., June 30, 2012
This review is from: 12|21|12 (Kindle Edition)
I don't understand the high ratings for this book. I loved the premise and I looked forward to reading it. And after a chapter or two I still had high hopes. But the characters weren't developed at all, the process of figuring out what happened was hardly riveting and the author provided no foundation for the supposed pull that brought the characters together to lead them to their ultimate destination. (We're led to believe the pull existed merely because they did, in fact, get together. Really?) But what sticks with me most is the ending. What a total disappointment. I rarely give a rating this low but I really cannot recommend this story to others.

12|21|12