5.0 out of 5 stars Like A Blizzard in Georgia
Ween has always occurred to me as a musical chameleon. You want thrashy, idiotic punk? Ween can do that. Do you want a moving, emotional ballad? Ween can do that, too. Do you want an obviously drug-fueled voyage into dissonant sound and grating, nonsensical vocals? Ween can serve that up hot with a side of grits.

So, it shouldn't seem strange that Ween can do...
Published on June 2, 2005 by The 747 Gambit

3.0 out of 5 stars very good when put into context
Ok. This album marks the true beginning of Ween's concerted attempt to specifically control all music styles. Very few Ween fans are country music lovers, right? So if Ween can master it and bend it to their will, so much more the power of Ween! I admit that I don't listen to this one as much as the others (hence the 3 stars), but when considered among all of the rest of...
Published on September 5, 2000 by Michael Zerella

5.0 out of 5 stars Like A Blizzard in Georgia, June 2, 2005
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)

So, it shouldn't seem strange that Ween can do country, and country is what you get in 12 Golden Country Greats. Now, country is a genre of music I tend to admire from afar - I never want to get too close, lest I start feeling urges to square-dance with a ten-gallon hat and tight jeans. So having Ween do a country album gave me the excuse to get into country, even if it was largely the Ween version. But then again, a little parody never hurt anyone, and this album is a must for Ween fans and anyone who wants a little absurdity with their country.

Ween pulls off the endeavor by bringing in a bunch of ringers (some of whom they name during songs), who obviously have the whole country thing down to a T. Although Dean Ween is by all accounts one of the most talented guitar-Gods around (or, at least, by all my accounts), he probably couldn't handle a steel guitar too well, so Ween took this concept to its logical conclusion and brought in fiddlers, steel guitarists, a drummer, etc., which give almost all the tracks a good, solid grounding in the basics of the genre. The Ween-ness is brought in courtesy of the lyrics; for a Ween album, the vocals are mostly straight and modulation-free, so it's up to the lyrical content to remind you that yes, these are the same guys behind such timeless classics as Touch My Tooter and Fat Lenny.

The lyrics make the album, sometimes going light on the absurdity (Japanese Cowboy, Powder Blue) to laying it on thick (You Were the Fool, I'm Holding You) to just being downright hilarious (Piss Up a Rope, Help Me Scrape the Mucous Off My Brain). For Ween fans, I suspect, the lyrics are where it's at, because even after you know what Ween is going to say in a given song, it's still somehow fresh and funny the tenth time you hear it. The lyrics shine for most of the time in 12 Golden Country Greats, with comedy being the main aim, though sometimes the only joke is "hey, look, we're doing country!"

Musically, the songs are generally catchy and well-paced. Since I don't know country very well, I can only postulate that the songs reflect a range of country styles within country itself - nowhere is this more apparent than in the cheerfully homophobic Mister Richard Smoker, which seems to be plucked out of the days of ragtime, and the almost normal I Don't Want to Leave You On the Farm, which I can only assume is closer to bluegrass. I could be wrong, but I don't really care. The only song that really drags for the casual listener not familiar with Ween's forays into the lengthy, annoying song that never seems to end (Black Jack, anyone?) is Fluffy. But Fluffy is probably the funniest piece here, and sucks you in to its world of lazy front porches and excited dogs with its slow-motion, warped approach.

So, overall, this album is musically solid, lyrically brilliant, funny, and delightfully misnamed. Where the remaining two golden country greats went, only Ween knows, but Gene and Dean turn in a 10-song tribute/mockery of country that stands out as being both authentic and ridiculous. On a personal note, I was once dating a girl who was a true country fan. Wondering if she might like this album, I played it for her. She was horrified. But, as I said before, if you're a fan of Ween, this album cannot be missed, or left on the farm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scatalogical tales from the Old West..., August 23, 2006
B. Bowman "Double B" (Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
I remember when this disc came out Rolling Stone magazine reviewed it by giving it an extremely low rating (something like one or one and a half stars) and completely trashed Ween and this album, which pretty much convinced me to go get it. The reviewer attempted to justify his position by stating that Ween's tendencies towards misogyny and junior high school humor were inappropriate (geez, thats what I LIKED about this disc) and didn't work as parody due to the fact that they had rounded up such renowned Nashville session musicians to make the music. I knew that any magazine that badmouthed every album that Zeppelin put out in the 70's and insisted that Britney Spears was going to be the next Whitney Houston in the late 90's couldn't possibly understand Ween, so I went out and picked up a copy immediately. This album puts me in hysterics every time I hear it, and you don't have to be a fan of country music to like it, cause I certainly am not into country music at all. Ween however, leave their mark on the genre with this one. "Piss Up a Rope" has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard. I played it for a group of friends one night at a party and everybody completely lost it. "Mr. Richard Smoker" is another song that could be labeled as offensive, but always makes me laugh. Obviously the norm for Ween is completely off the wall, and you have to keep that in mind when you listen to some of their music. Ween managed to lampoon the country genre with their lyrics while employing some of its best musicians, and the musicianship on this disc is (unsurprisingly) superb. If you have a sense of humor, pick this one up. If you take your music cues from sources like Rollling Stone magazine, then enjoy your Justin Timberlake CD. (I think Rolling Stone compared his solo album to "Innervisions", what a surprise.)

4.0 out of 5 stars end of confusion, June 10, 2005
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
the '12' in "12 Golden Country Greats" refers to the number of musicians they had on the record; not the number of songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightfully amusing album, March 13, 2005
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
This album has one of the silliest lyrics of all time:

"I think I spent the dog-food money

But he'll love me just the same

And if you really love me baby

Help me scrape the mucus off my brain"

Haha. The funny thing is, after you get over the silly parody lyrics, you can still appreciate the lovely playing by the Nashville session guys. I genuinely enjoy this album, because the playing is good and because it actually seems to have MORE sincerity in it than a lot of stupid contemporary country music does.

I think Gene and Dean really LIKE country music and I get the impression that they had a lot of fun putting this together, which is a good thing.

I wonder how many unsuspecting people have been tricked into buying it at Roadhouses !

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is amazing. Hilarious and really GOOD music!, December 12, 2000
M. Pincus "Mac-P" (East Meadow, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
OK. This is a country album, haha. If you don't like country music DON'T let that scare you! If you like good, fun music (or if you like Ween at all), you will like this a lot. If you like Monty Python or Frank Zappa or Phish (or country music!) you will also like it.

When I first heard it I didn't know who it was. The 1st thing I thought (obviously) was that it was funny as hell in a very high-brow way. The execution is FLAWLESS. They brought in some of Nashville's best musicians and the musicianship is TOP-NOTCH. Pedal Steel, Fiddle, Bluegrass Guitar, twangy Telecaster pickin', it's all here. Not what you would normally associate with Ween. They use just about every country music cliche to a wonderful effect, writing good, memorable songs that are funny in the way they use those very traditional elements. It's not making fun of country music at all, but rather, drawing laughs from what are some of the most common elements that you didn't even consciously realize are there. All in a very intelligent, musical way.

Each song is different from the next one, and they find endless variations on what one might think could only be a one joke LP. But because they are so creative, it doesn't get old. To really GET the humor I think you have to listen to the whole CD, as opposed to listening to a song here and there. So I shouldn't go into it song by song. But this album ALWAYS makes me smile. It really is excellent and, by far, my favorite album by them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh new direction for Ween, May 21, 2005
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
I would have to say that I highly enjoy listening to this album, it brings out the lighter side of brown that is Ween. I'm Holding You puts you in the mood for some good counrty twang, then it jumps into Japanese Cowboy with some excellent slide playing. Piss Up A Rope is always a chuckler and you start to see the zaniness come out in the lyrics and keyboard solos. Mr. Richard Smoker invokes some kind of homoerotic tendencies, but a damn good song nonetheless. Fluffy, Powder Blue, and Jerry don't exactly hold up later on in the CD, but they redeem themselves with a beautiful rolling acoustic groove on You Were The Fool. Defineitely worth a listen!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The soundtrack of my life, January 25, 2001
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
I Laughed, I cried, and I contemplated suicide. Even though I am of Indian/Pakistani descent, this album brings tear to my eye with poignant tracks like "Fluffy" and "I Don't Wanna Leave You on the Farm." This stylisticly divergent album is a marked but not altogether surprising venture from one of the funniest, most ecclectic, and most talented bands of this era. I recommend all of Ween's albums (save Pure Guava for last)this one should be one of the first. If you are cool, you will buy this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly Ween's best, June 12, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
It's tricky to call an album a band's best when it's so atypical, especially when the typical ones (if any Ween release can be called typical) are so excellent. But I don't think any other Ween album can be said to be better than "12 Golden Country Greats." Put this next to "The Pod" and reel, but even standing alone, this is just an excellent, excellent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius strikes again, December 13, 1999
"tlivi" (Santa Cruz CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
When I first heard this in my buddy's car, I thought, Oh Great! Country! I hate country...but, this is a great album, those WEEN fans who don't like it, must not like WEEN for the same reasons I do...nothing is sacred to them, but they massacre genre with amazing songwriting and music. "Fluffy" is so slow and painfully hillarious that many people don't won't see the humor. Too bad for them, I play this album anytime I need to laugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and authentic, January 29, 2005
This review is from: 12 Golden Country Greats (Audio CD)
This amazing and amusing album was recorded in country territory with the help of genuine country musicians. Great tunes and authentic playing make for an enjoyable listening experience, until one listens closely to the lyrics. Well, the words might put some people off but I found this marriage of the country ethos with post-modern crudeness and explicit expression quite different and refreshing. My favourites are the moving and hilarious but rude I'm Holding You and the politically incorrect Mr Richard Smoker. The lyrics are impressively clever and witty despite the obvious vulgarity and the melodies very catchy and hummable. I'm not sure traditional country fans will like this, but I think it is original and hilarious at times. Ween are the masters of many styles and did a splendid job with this country excursion.

12 Golden Country Greats
12 Golden Country Greats by Ween (Audio CD - 1996)