5.0 out of 5 stars There's a little (or a lot of )Pharisee in all of us
The single greatest pleasure of a Pharisee is to judge other people. A Pharisee devises rules that make himself look better than others, while others are unaware of what the rules are, and wouldn't care if they did know. The Pharisee makes righteousness attainable by good works that only a select few are able to accomplish. Pharisees forget that Jesus blew that whole...
Published on April 25, 2002 by Tom Hinkle

2.0 out of 5 stars headache
THe book was okay. By the time I got to the 6th step I had a headache. I know we are all sinful at the heart and are capable of even murder but some the chapters seemed to create areas of guilt that mature Christian should have overcome through Christ. Even though I know that we all sin and need to be examining ourselves daily for cleansing I did not feel cleansed after...
Published on May 7, 2007 by K.Koglin

5.0 out of 5 stars Twelve Steps for the Rocovering Pharisee is for You if..., November 11, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
This book is for you if... you can't stand christians, or you are a christian, or you have found yourself to be in a legalistic church or a "christian" cult, or you're feeling tired or weary or guilty in your walk with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, November 26, 2001
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
John Fischer has touched on the one thing that I know I didn't want to fess up to. Hey, I've read the words of Jesus dozens upon dozens of times and it never sank in -- I'm a sinner in need of grace, period. Never one to leave "good enough" alone, I've figured out a way to add on to God's grace by putting my views, self-righteousness, and ego above nearly everyone around me. The difference between myself and a non-Christian wasn't the fact that I was saved by grace, oh no, it was so much more than that. I was a Christian and that meant I was superior in one way or another than those who weren't Christians. Then came John Fischer's book.
A wake up call happened once I started reading this book and it's effects have yet to wear off. John Fischer has brought to life the words Jesus spoke so long ago in a very personal and blunt manner. There is no hiding from the truth in this book. It's hard hitting and yet, at the same time, a relief to finally realize I'm not the great, self-righteous person I saw myself as. I'm a sinner in the most real sense. There's a great comfort in not having to pretend I'm someone I'm not. A load has been lifted by the truth contained in this book.
This book, as many reviews here have already pointed out, is not your typical Christian book. There are no easy answers to be found, just gut level truth told in a very personal way from a completely Biblical perspective. You will not regret reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, November 26, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Late Than Never . . ., May 31, 2000
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
I have not been this excited about a book in a long, long time. And it couldn't have come at a better time for the Body of Christ. We are living in an "us vs. them" world. This is the typical Pharisee's philosophy: we are right; they are wrong. John Fischer beautifully explains how antithetical this is to true faith. If we take the time to look closely at our own sin (there isn't enough time!), we will quickly realize that we don't have a judgmental leg to stand on, no fingers with which to point because they are all pointing at ourselves. Then and only then can we receive mercy from the King of Mercy, and then extend that same mercy to others who are wandering about in the darkness of their sin just like we are.
This is not your run-of-the mill Christian "How To" book. In fact, it is the complete opposite since the basic thrust of Fischer's words is that we should not be seeking perfection, (since it can't be obtained anyway). We can't change ourselves -- or others. Only Christ can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you a Pharisee?, April 22, 2009
Betty McJunkin (Snoqualmie, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
This is a great book! I recommend it highly. Jesus's hardest words were toward the Pharisees because of their hypocrisy and pride in themselves. I recognized myself in much of this book and realized my need for humility. John tells it like it is and we need to face the truth about ourselves even when we don't like it - he tells you what to do with these attitudes and how one can be free from being a Pharisee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found Out, September 27, 2000
John Elzinga (Temecula, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
John Fischer confronts and exposes what we wanted no one to know: That we are all, in one aspect or another, a Recovering Pharisee. Yet, like any 'a-holic' there is something terribly freeing to declare ourselves to be the sinners that we are; without pretension or mask to 'cover ourselves'.
Reading this book which is so brutally honest you cannot help but change, at least one day at a time, into an authentic Christian who will confess on any given day: I am a sinner in need of a Savior...that if I were to be considered for my merit, my 'holiness', my thought life, my true self; I would be considered scumm. That it's not about me, but about Christ!
12 Steps for a Recovering Pharisee (like me) is a book everyone should read. Then keep it next to you during your 'quite time', so that when you go to the Lord, you will go humbly, sincerely, and thankfully.
I recommend this book with all my heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars I truly do love this book, September 27, 2014
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
Being a former practicing pharisee myself, I truly do love this book. It's a difficult thing to admit your a pharisee, but when you cross that mental plain. God's grace becomes so real to you instead of the list of rules you use to beat others just a little worse than you. I've stoned a lot of people in my youth and this book made me cry about it. It helped keep going in the right direction instead of being another pharisee at the new church I had joined almost 4 yrs ago. Look at yourself as you are and this book will help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged!, March 2, 2014
Jerusalem Hill (ROCKVILLE, IN, US) - See all my reviews
A fresh perspective of an ancient problem and very well written. For me a wonderful reread opportunity on my Kindle Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, November 10, 2013
This review is from: 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) (Paperback)
This book was a gift and the person I gave it to absolutely loved it. She is going to loan it back to me as soon as she gets it back from someone else she loaned it to.

12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me)
12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) by John Fischer (Paperback - March 1, 2000)
$15.00 $13.43