2,793 Reviews
 (1,738)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girls Are Back!!!
Published 16 months ago by Joan Odell

1.0 out of 5 stars Disorganized, chapters seemed out of order
I can't believe how many positive reviews this book has received. I had been looking forward to this book since the last one. I usually really enjoy this series, but this installment was a true disappointment.

Published 14 months ago by Debra Bowen

1.0 out of 5 stars Disorganized, chapters seemed out of order, May 6, 2013
This review is from: 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) (Hardcover)

No major spoilers here, but the stories were disjointed, some chapters seemed out of order and there were things written about the baby that seemed like nobody involved in the writing or editing had ever had a baby or spent the time reading about baby development or even understanding the mindset of a working mom. The baby develops a fever on Lindsay's first day back at work and when she arrives home the house is filled with the Murder Club Women! And they are passing around the baby! And nobody mentions that she had a fever or asks how the baby is doing!! And the reader feels like she missed something...only the fever comes back! Ultimately, the baby is admitted to the hospital for testing and Lindsay and Joe leave a days-old baby at the hospital! The next day, there is concern shown and there is a passage from Lindsay about how Joe is going to the hospital and not leaving Julie's side. Huh?!

That's just one example. As another reviewer said, usually Patterson and Paetro wrap everything up in a nice bow, but there were many story lines happening and several loose ends were left hanging.

Cindy was barely there and very missed by this reader. The beginning actually seemed like it was written by another author. I didn't think the characters seemed like themselves, especially Claire at the beginning right as she was going to take law enforcement through an autopsy.

As with all Patterson novels, I read the book quickly, but I was annoyed through most of it and wish it had more focus and more depth with all the characters we have come to know and want to spend time with.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girls Are Back!!!, February 27, 2013
Picking up a Womens Murder Club Book is always like catching up with "old friends". The 12th in the series does not disappoint. Two killers need to be stopped. A professor keeps arriving at the station prophesying about murders that are being committed in his dreams. Unfortunately for the squad, the dreams seem to be coming true. Claire is being pushed out of her position as ME because she seems to have "lost a body". If you are a Fan, you'll really like this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book James Patterson ever wrote, May 16, 2013
This review is from: 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) (Hardcover)
I usually love James Patterson books but this one was awful. Too many plots at once, and very little tie in. He could have expanded on each mini story within this book by as little as 20 pages and have tied the whole thing into a comprehensive book. But he did not, I am very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars what a huge disappointment!, May 24, 2013
Karen Vellardita (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
The book suddenly comes to a screeching halt before the story is finished! It's like driving off a cliff, where all of a sudden the road ends and you thought you had miles to go yet! Wow. I've never read a book so unfinished. It sure left me scratching my head and since I was reading a digital version, I went and flipped back to see where I'd missed the rest of it. But I didn't miss any of it, just the completion of the story. I want my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did a child write this?, May 21, 2013
This is one of the worst books I have read in awhile, and likely James Patterson's worst ever. Choppy, irritatingly simple dialogue, a pathetic lack of plot or character development and some flat-out ridiculous situations (Lindsay is a cop, and she holds her baby on her lap while driving to the hospital? Rich Conklin falls in love with an obvious murderer in about five minutes?)! Do not waste your time with this drivel; read a Nancy Drew mystery if you want more suspense than you'll get with the 12th of Never.

1.0 out of 5 stars You've Got To Be Kidding !!??, May 25, 2013
andrea dutkin (walnut creek, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) (Hardcover)
I won't be reading this author's books again. How could this book be rated so high!? There's no depth, character development, or meat to this story. The scenarios are so unrealistic, just thrown in there with very little plot. This book has nothing to offer. The ending, there is none it just stops. The idea that these events in this book have any realism and could possibly happen is nothing but fantasy. I'm wondering who is reading these books and why he is so popular???

1.0 out of 5 stars The 12th of Never, May 6, 2013
This review is from: 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) (Hardcover)
So disappointing - loved every other Women's Murder Club Book. You can tell this was written by two people, perhaps they should have gotten together when they wrote The 12th of Never. Maxine, do the next Women's Murder Club book yourself. I couldn't wait for it to come out - but sorry I rushed to purchase it.

1.0 out of 5 stars So done with Patterson, May 29, 2013
This review is from: 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) (Hardcover)
I have read James Patterson's books for, well, it seems like forever. I used to look forward with great anticipation to each new one. I am now officially giving up on him. I would give this review zero stars if I could. His books have become nothing more than very short stories with little character development and less plot -- at least compared to the ones he used to write. The books are now shorter, in actual word length, than children's books and short romance novels. This one is half to one third the length of other mysteries I read. I think he is now nothing more than a commercialized mass producer of dreck. I am so very saddened by this. I used to really, really, really love his writing and recommended him to so many friends over the years. So, it is with great sadness that I say: "Goodbye Mr. Patterson."

2.0 out of 5 stars A story that suffers from ADD, and from a poorly crafted ending, May 15, 2013
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) (Hardcover)
Yes, this is one fast paced story, but that does not make a good book. In typical Patterson cartel fashion, this novel is composed of very short chapters full of action. Typically, I am OK with this. However, in this case it feels a little overdone. The authors cannot stay on a topic for more than a couple of pages and it truly feels like we are getting the story told by someone with ADD. We have the plot involving a lawyer accused of killing his wife and daughter, the one about the professor who dreams about murders, the one about the killing of the girlfriend of the football star, and if that was not enough the one about the serial killer coming back from a coma. On top of that, there's the story line about Lindsay's baby and a few others.

Once you consider that this is an extremely short book, the only way to fit all those story lines in such a small space is to go really fast, shallow and ultimately leave the reader dissatisfied. When the authors finally made it to the minimum number of words to call this a book, they wrap it up as fast as possible, with no real explanation as to why the solution is what it is, what the motivations were (we only get a bare bones explanation in a couple of the cases), and we are left with plot holes big enough to drive a semi through.

Luckily, a while back I decided to stop buying this books, so the frustration is not as high. Also, since they take so little time and effort to read, when I don't like them much I don't feel like I invested much in them, and sometimes I find good ones. Finally, as Patterson decided to do with I, Michael Bennett, he ends the book in kind of a cliff-hanger. I guess he does not trust the readers will keep buying his sub-par quality novels unless he keeps them on the hook. Such a shame for an author that used to be so much better than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Enough Is Enough!, October 25, 2013
Bradley Friedman (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm taking my heart in my hands writing this on a forum where a book received over 1200 five-star reviews. I know Amazon is for fans, and I can't say I've ever been a huge James Patterson fan. He is fun to listen to in the car since the chapters are short, the prose is forgettable, and the information is repeated again and again so that you can't lose the train of the plot even if you try. But 12TH OF NEVER was so awful that I have to get my anger off my chest. By now James Patterson is a zillion-dollar making machine who, along with his various cowriters, cranks out dozens of books a year. It's impressive that he can keep track of the multiple series he has created. (I can imagine a large office building in downtown New York with one floor devoted to Alex Cross, another to Lindsay Boxer, etc. etc. etc.) I don't want to begrudge him his success, but is it too much to ask for a coherent plot, some decent writing, and a little bit of actual character development? In this latest installment, there are no less than six plots involving various crimes or tortured romances. Ironically, the two cases described in the jacket liner are ultimately less important than Boxer's involvement with a past villain who has emerged from a coma to wreak havoc again and a dull murder case that Yuki is prosecuting. None of the crimes amount to much, and one of them ends with a "twist" that was so ridiculous I had to drive very carefully as I snickered and shouted at the CD player!

Perhaps the worst and most shallowly manipulative plot line involves Lindsay's newborn child, Julie. Suffice it to say, there was nothing new or emotionally honest in this rendition of a baby in jeopardy, and as other savvy reviewers have reported, Lindsay's behavior throughout made no sense. Without offering any spoilers, suffice it to say that, if I had a newborn child in the hospital, I wouldn't give any serial killers the time of day until I knew she was all right, and I would tell my husband who insisted I go to work to button his lip.

Clearly there's a market for thrillers that read easy and let you follow a beloved cast of characters from thrill to thrill. And the overarching idea of a series that centers on strong, successful women is a blessing. But Patterson's work is disjointed and repetitive with illogical character moves shoved in to accommodate the needs of the plot. In this episode, both Lindsay and Cindy come off as irrational, the male characters are interchangable from each other (I defy anyone to find any significant differences between Joe, Brady and Richie), and none of the "mysteries" end satisfactorily. (The "major" case of the murdered girlfriend of a pro football player could have been cut from this novel with absolutely no sense of loss. It is wrapped up perfunctorily in the final pages, and the only aspect of it that matters - the disappearance of the victim's body from the morgue - could have been accomplished within the parameters of the "dream" murder case.

I can't stop the Patterson machine from chugging successfully along, or ask the fans to demand better of their beloved author. However, if anyone reads this and can recommend a BETTER thriller series for me to follow in the car, I would really appreciate it.

12th of Never (Women's Murder Club)
12th of Never (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson (Hardcover - April 29, 2013)
$27.99