5.0 out of 5 stars a case of you get what you pay for
So far it's the best food processor I've ever owned. I do wish they had included a small cookbook with the appliance.

Published on December 14, 2011 by calicoterri

1.0 out of 5 stars KitchenAid vs. Cuisinart
Published on November 4, 2011 by William T. Wroblicka

1.0 out of 5 stars KitchenAid vs. Cuisinart, November 4, 2011
I recently bought the KitchenAid KFP1333CU 13-cup food processor to replace a Cuisinart FP-14 14-cup model. The locking mechanism on the Cuisinart's work bowl cover had broken, but rather than replace the cover, which would have run about $50, I decided to swap the whole thing out for the KitchenAid because, frankly, I never much liked the Cuisinart. So what I want to do here is compare the two machines, highlighting the pros and cons of each.

Both machines are about the same size and take up the same amount of counter space, the one-cup claimed difference in capacity notwithstanding. The KitchenAid, however, is considerably lighter than the Cuisinart -- almost flimsy by comparison. This of course makes it easier to lift and move the KitchenAid around, but try to finely chop chunks of hard cheese or knead bread dough and the machine rocks and vibrates violently. If you don't hold it down with both hands it threatens to overturn or jump right off the counter. The Cuisinart may shimmy a little in performing the same tasks, but it stays put.

I find the KitchenAid's work bowl cover much easier to put on, lock, unlock, and take off. You lock and unlock the cover in the conventional manner, by simply twisting it. You can do it with one hand. The Cuisinart's work bowl cover has to be fairly precisely positioned and then snapped into place. It sometimes took me a couple tries to do it right, a minor annoyance. To remove it, you have to press an awkwardly positioned button on the handle. It takes two hands.

I did not like the Cuisinart's work bowl design. It always seemed to catch a lot of stuff underneath the blade and in the angle where the side of the work bowl meets the bottom. When kneading dough, for example, I would find a couple tablespoons of unincorporated flour underneath the blade afterward. The KitchenAid's bowl has a similar shape, but doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems.

A problem with older model KitchenAids (so I've heard) is work bowl leakage when blending or pureeing liquidy ingredients. My old Cuisinart also leaked occasionally, but only when the work bowl was removed from the base. The new KitchenAid claims to have an "ultra tight seal," and I haven't had any problem with leaks yet, even when pureeing canned tomatoes, which are notoriously messy.

The feed tubes on both machines are fairly complicated contraptions with several nesting parts intended to accept, hold, and feed ingredients in a wide range of shapes and sizes. Both are overly complicated in my opinion -- more parts to lose or break. I guess I prefer the single medium-size feed tube and pusher found on older models.

Both machines are quite powerful. The Cuisinart's motor under a light load turns with a fairly quite hum. The KitchenAid is noisier, emitting a high pitched whine when running. Both claim to have two speeds -- high and low. The button for the Cuisinart's low speed is labeled "dough," because that's the speed you're supposed to use to make dough I guess. In any case I could never detect any difference in the Cuisinart's blade rotation rate no matter which button I pushed. The KitchenAid's low speed is noticeably slower than its high speed. The KitchenAid also does a "soft start" when you press the pulse button, meaning the motor starts slowly and accelerates up to full speed. Although I don't see any point to this feature, it seems harmless enough.

Both machines perform all the basic tasks -- chopping, pureeing, slicing, shredding, etc. -- well enough to suit me. I think the KitchenAid is more thorough in kneading small amounts of bread dough, although the Cuisinart, with its much heftier weight, can handle a big batch of dough with less commotion than the KitchenAid. The KitchenAid has one gimmick -- and it is a gimmick -- that the Cuisinart doesn't: There's a sliding lever on the base of the machine that's supposed to allow you to adjust the thickness of the slices you get when the slicing blade is being used. Theoretically you can infinitely adjust the thickness from paper thin to relatively thick. In practice, however, the slices come out just a little thinner or a little thicker. Again, to me, this is an unnecessary design embellishment that will probably break sooner rather than later. You can achieve the same effect with the Cuisinart by varying the pressure you exert when pushing the ingredient through the feed tube onto the slicing blade.

So in conclusion, I find I like the KitchenAid slightly more than the Cuisinart, mostly because the work bowl cover is easier to put on and take off, but it's not perfect. If you're trying to decide between the two, I'd pick the one with the lower price at the moment -- the Cuisinart lists for slightly more than the KitchenAid, but both are frequently and significantly discounted.

UPDATE 5/6/12
After having used this food processor for about six months, I'm lowering my rating from three stars to one star. This is a terrible machine, which has only gotten worse with use. The work bowl cover, which I initially found fairly easy to put on and take off, has become almost impossible to twist -- it's a real struggle to get it to lock into place, often forcing me to bang it with the heel of my hand to budge it. It repeatedly stalls when trying to knead even a fairly small amount of bread or pizza dough (made with about 8.5 ounces of flour and 3/4 cup of water). It does a lousy job of chopping vegetables, leaving big chunks untouched on top of a layer of almost pureed mush. And the pulse button drives me crazy. As I mentioned in my initial review, the motor has a "soft start" feature. When you push the pulse button, the blade begins to spin slowly and then works its way up to full speed. But this isn't at all what you want a pulse function to do -- you want a quick burst at full power to shake up and evenly redistribute the contents of the work bowl -- you just can't do that with this machine. It's like stepping hard on the accelerator in your car and having it hesitate for a second before beginning to move. Although KitchenAid has made excellent food processors in the past, this one is a real turkey. I'd strongly recommend against buying one.

5.0 out of 5 stars a case of you get what you pay for, December 14, 2011

My last food processor finally started cracking after 15 years of use, so I upgraded to the 13 cup Kitchenaid. The plastics in this appliance are far superior to my last processor, and the gaskets make for a tight seal. Another upgrade for me was the fact that you push the blade in to lock it....that means you can take the work bowl off of the processor and have no leaks because the blade stays firmly in place. I also love the case that was included to hold all of the blades in a small space.

Note: If you buy this product, take pictures of how the accessory case is packed before you take the blades out. Took me a little while to repack correctly so the accessory case would close.

2.0 out of 5 stars Isn't a food processor supposed to save time and frustration? This one does not!, January 9, 2012
So disappointed with this! Received this as a gift and was excited to replace my 10+ year old kitchen aid food processor which I loved and used at least 2-3 times per week. This new one had all the same features as the old processor, but I loved the look of this, and the idea of the wide feeding tube, so I was sure it was going to be a winner. However, when I took it out of the box and began to use it, I realized that it was not easy to use and everything about it was worse than my old processor. In fact, the only nice thing I can say about it is that it is lightweight and easy to lift up to the counter. Its so bad I'm seriously considering keeping my old one instead of this one.
With this machine I spend a good 5-10 minutes of setting up, assembling and troubleshooting to accomplish about 1 minute of chopping. Isn't a food processor supposed to save time and frustration? This one does not!
It's a users nightmare, I'm not even sure where to begin...

1. Its so big and bulky, all the parts seem oversized, big and clunky, hard to hold for women's hands. The whole machine is so big it barely fits in my storage cabinet.

2. The buttons aren't really buttons, you have to press really hard and in just the right location to get them to work. There's just no feedback like an actual button. Also, some of the buttons only work with certain attachments, so you end up just mashing all the buttons till you find one that works.

3. The feeding tube-- Comes in 3 pieces which you have to keep track of, and makes it hard to clean with too many nooks and crannies for the food to fall into. Also the wide feed which was the most exciting new feature doesn't really work as I had hoped, since you have to have the food pusher halfway down or the machine won't turn on at all. Large items that you would be putting in the wide feed tube are usually wide and tall, taller than the halfway point so I guess I'll just be chopping large things into to fit in the smaller feed tube anyway. There goes that idea!

4. The Shredding and chopping blades left big chunks up on the blade, the old processor left smaller chunks.

5. There are way too many parts- there are 3 adapters (disc adapter, slicing adapter and drive adapter) to fit the various bowls, blades and graters, Some do not require any adapters, some use one or two, it is incredibly confusing to figure out which adapters go with which parts, and you get the whole thing assembled and are ready to go, then press the buttons only to find out that it doesn't work, that something is not put together or locked into place correctly and there are just too many parts to troubleshoot the problem quickly. You end up having to take it apart a couple of times, try different things then reassemble and try again till it finally decides to work. The old processor just worked. There were fewer pieces for the same functions, and they were easy to assemble, no guesswork, trial and error or troubleshooting involved.

6. The lid is difficult to put on. It does not click into place, and is difficult to slide into place. You must align the black nub with the black handle on the bowl, seems simple enough, but to get them to align you have to move the lid in a direction that always makes the bottom bowl unlock, so after finally wrestling the lid into place, you then have to go back and relock the bowl in place.

7. The bowl locks into place, but the lock isn't very sturdy, I'm always bumping it out when I touch the handle or try to put the lid on. Also, the handle only goes on the right side, so you lefties out there are out of luck. Why not make it so the handle is in the front, or so you can lock it in either right or left sides? Also, why not a button or lever to lock it so it can't be bumped out accidentally?

8. The blade is difficult to remove. It has a push down to lock system which is nice when you go to empty the bowl because it means that the blade won't tumble out on you, but there are no instructions in the user guide on how to unlock the blade once you've locked it in. I've tried pulling up, pushing down again, and also twisting the blade in both directions, the only thing that worked was to pull up so forcefully, that the blade popped up unexpectedly and cut my finger. I'm not looking forward to having this happen every time I use the machine. this system makes it dangerous to remove the sharp blade.

9. The smaller chefs bowl must be used inside of the larger bowl, so you're not really saving any space there. Also, since the chefs bowl is inside the big bowl the food gets into the big bowl or splashes on the top rim of the big bowl, so you have to wash it anyway. Using the chefs bowl doesn't save you anything, and only creates yet another part to have to wash.

10. The storage container is well organized and everything has its assigned place. Unfortunately, because each place is assigned you must use trial and error to put the parts back and spend time twisting and turning each part in different directions till they fit into the slots. It's worse than a puzzle! Also, the chopping and shredding blades are at the bottom of the case, so every time you need them you have to pull everything on the top out which takes extra time. I always use the shredding blade, and it is at the very bottom which means I have to take everything out of the top, and then take out the chopping blade, just to get to the shredding blade at the very bottom. Too time consuming!. The old processor had the blades standing on end in the back of the case, so you could just reach in and slide out what you needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife LOVES it, November 30, 2011
My wife got this with a little bonus money she came across (yea savings bonds!) This is her first "real" processor and she is in slicing dicing heaven! She has made everything from Coleslaw to Hummus in it. So far it works like the nuts. The lid is a bit difficult to get on and off (a little cooking oil on the rubber ring will solve that problem) and we find we often try to overload the feed tube so that the safty lockout won't engage. It is big and takes up counter space but it get used plenty enough to justify it. There are a ton of cool recipes (yumm food processor cheesecake- TO DIE FOR!!) and even mundane tasks (like slicing tomatoes for a sandwich) are quick and easy. Clean up is a breeze (usually just a quick wipe with a soapy sponge and a rinse) and the blade storage case is practical. All in all we are very impressed. Lets just hope kitchenaide carries thru and makes the accessories they promise in the manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars A triumph over their last model, December 26, 2011
Phillip Blanton "RadWarrior.com" (Colorado Springs, Co United States) - See all my reviews
About a year ago, the lid-latch on our cheapie food processor broke, and I purchased a KitchenAid KFP750OB. I was so disappointed with the engineering shortcuts they took on that machine, that I sent it back within a week.

Though advertised as a 12-cup machine, the center post only came up 2 inches, which limited liquid capacity to about four cups. If you went over that level, liquid would run down the tube and all over the motor base and countertop. The lid fit over the outside of the bowl rather than seating inside it, so liquid would also wash up over the edge of the bowl, and run down the outside... all over the motor base and countertop.

The safety interlock mechanism was so overly lawyered up that it made the large feed tube useless. The interlock wouldn't engage until the pushbar was halfway in, making the large capacity feed tube only good for very short things. Also the interlock mechanism was made of plastic vanes along the outside of the large pushbar that fit so tightly into the lid slots, that it was impossible to use it anyway.

Those issues, along with issues that I didn't experience, made me return it after a week. I was very disappointed with Kitchenaid and decided I'd never buy another food processor from them.

A year went by and this Christmas Eve my wife said, "Can we go get a new food processor? I miss having one." So, being in Colorado Springs, we headed off to Chef's Catalog to have a look. When we got there I elucidated my complaints about how crappy Kitchenaid food processors are, and the nice lady said that they had totally re-engineered their latest 13-cup machine. I was dubious, but decided to have a look. She unboxed one for me and I began to explain what was so terribly wrong with the other one. To each complaint, she showed me Kitchenaid's redesigned solution.

On the KFP750OB, the shaft was hexagonal, which created a situation where, when food bound in the bowl, the shaft would permanently fuse itself to whatever blade attachment was currently being used. The new shaft is round with two flat sides, effectively preventing that from happening.

On the KFP750OB, the lid fit over the top of the bowl, making a gap for liquids that never failed to cause them to run out all over the counter. On the new one, the lid fits inside the bowl, and they have added a silicon seal ring that effectively seals the lid in place.

On the KFP750OB the center post only went up about two inches, making the 12-cup bowl only hold about four cups. On the new one, the center post goes up much further. It's still short of the advertised 13-cup capacity, but (and I just checked it) it will hold nine and a half cups of water before overflowing into the center post. A huge improvement.

On the KFP750OB, the safety interlock was so unwieldy as to make the unit useless. On the new one, the tight-fitting, vanes-in-slots design was abandoned in favor of a single metal bar that slides effortlessly into a hole on the top of the lid. The interlock still doesn't engage until the large pushbar is about halfway in, but at least now the large feed tube is useful once you defeat the interlock. I like to leave the food processor running while I add food into the large feed tube, but because it is large enough for your hands to easily slide into the blades, Kitchenaid's lawyers have defeated the purpose of a large feed tube, by demanding a safety interlock.

The only thing that I would ask that Kitchenaid do to improve this product, is to add a screw to the bottom of the unit, that once removed, defeats the interlock. I defeated mine by disassembling the large bowl handle and permanently affixing the small button that engages the interlock switch in the motor base. When the large bowl is removed, the motor won't run, but when it is in place, the motor will run with the lid off. Though it's not necessary for the unit to run with the lid off, it;s the best I can do without disassembling the motor base and voiding its warranty. The modification I made to the bowl is completely reversible, so my warranty is intact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality you expect and hope for, January 6, 2012
Harsh, but true. KitchenAid had built up a solid reputation over the years with their quality mixers: kitchen workhorses that lasted for generations. Unfortunately, the company has steadily been cutting corners, and the results are now sadly inadequate machines. The company was started by a restaurant equipment manufacturer that wanted to make home versions of their industrial equipment. The Hobart company is still around today, in restaurants and in the home, although the prices of their countertop units are certainly not for the budget-minded. Since the 80's, KitchenAid has been owned by Whirlpool, and they have elected to make some very unfortunate changes. Aside from a weak, whiny motor, the major problem with this food processor is the quality of the parts. Slowly but surely, what were once solid all-metal parts and gears are now being made of moulded plastic, and cheap, inferior metal. Not only that, but there are instances where metal is GLUED TOGETHER. For a while, they cleverly hid the cheaper parts "under the hood". Take apart one of their "solid metal" stand mixers and you will find a few key components that are made of shoddy material. Now, they aren't even bothering to hide them anymore. This particular food processor has a flimsy plastic body and base, designed to look like stainless steel. The drive shaft itself is made of plastic, with plastic teeth. The blade attachments are indeed sharp, but after cutting cold butter into flour for pie dough, the blade assembly came apart; no surprise. Not only was the assembly was made of (you guessed it) plastic components, with a metal washer and "clutch", but they were GLUED TOGETHER! A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Since the blade assembly is glued at a crucial place, the slightest torque can snap the glue, so the blade will spin, but have no power behind it, rendering it useless for cutting. In this case, I was cutting cold butter into flour for a pie dough. When a food processor can't handle cutting cold butter, you've got a problem. Some I am not saying that KitchenAid is one of the worst brands out there. I am still looking for an affordable, durable food processor, but I am rapidly starting to believe those qualities are mutually exclusive nowadays. Maybe that kind of quality is all we can get for under 500.00$ anymore.
The only good thing that KitchenAid has managed to retain is the beautiful aesthetic of their products: they are the finest looking pieces of countertop kitchen equipment out there. If only their performance and reliability were half as good as they used to be. To be blunt, it is nothing more than a good-looking toy, that can handle some lightweight jobs. Don't expect too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kitchenaid 13-cup foodprocessor is for me., November 8, 2011
I had my last KitchenAid food processor for 15 years, but I always wished I had one with a larger work bowl. I recently bought a KitchenAid's 13-cup food processor, and I just love it. I already have a KitchenAid dough stand mixer, so the small dough blade intended for just 2-3 cups of flour would be just perfect for a quick yeast dough mix. I like the product's color selection and the easy to use features. It's an easy transition from one KitchenAid food processor to the next, though with a few new bells and whistles. I find taking a few minutes to read the instruction booklet helps me understand better what each accessory can and is intended to do, so that I can keep this new baby for the next 15 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, July 31, 2012
R. Roorda (Madrid, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I was very excited about getting this new food processor last December (Christmas present from my husband) because of the adjustable slicing blade. I had been using an older model 12 cup Kitchenaid that worked great but I thought the new features on this model would be convenient. Unfortunately it just does not do some of the simple tasks that I expect. The slicing and shredding blades work great, but a food processor should do more. The problems seem to be with the chopping blade functions. There just does not seem to be enough power to push the blade through a bunch of basil and parsley leaves for pesto. I have tried this a couple of times and had to transfer the whole batch to a container and use my hand blender to finish the task, which it did admirably. Similarly I can't make pizza dough in this machine, which I could easily do in my older model, and I no longer get good results cutting butter into flour for pie crust dough, which I could do pretty well with the older model. So I am asking for a refund from Kitchenaid and will probably retrieve my older model, which is much more functional, and hope it lasts a good long time. This one is just too big and expensive an appliance to use only for slicing, shredding and mixing already soft or liquid ingredients.

I am so disappointed in Kitchenaid. I am a long time customer and own several of their small appliances, but I have to agree that quality and product testing have really gone downhill. I am willing to pay for quality but I feel like this product is more hype than function.

1.0 out of 5 stars Light weight, December 20, 2011
This processor promised a lot but fell short. The motor had a high pitched noise when running that made me think a bearing was going bad.
When we tried to slice potatoes, the FP had to be held in place to keep from jumping around.
Needs more weight in the base to handle heavy use. Motor assembly sounds weak and sick.
We decided to order a new bowl for our old KPF670. We returned to sender.

KitchenAid 13-cup Food Processor, KFP1333: Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 17, 2011
My old 9-cup Kitchenaid finally gave out after 15 years. Ordered the new 13-cup expecting the same if not better chopping with the larger feed tube. I have been highly disappointed. This unit does not chop nuts fine like the previous model. Items get underneath the blades in both work bowls. I am constantly having to stop and stir the items so that they can blend together. I had no idea when I ordered the unit online how massive the size of the base would be. Save your money, there are better processors out there.

13-Cup Food Processor with ExactSlice System Color: Empire Red
$250.00 $169.99
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies