5.0 out of 5 stars 13 To Life
Published on November 9, 2010 by princess bookie

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens...?
Published on August 28, 2010 by iReadBooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens...?, August 28, 2010
This review is from: 13 to Life (Kindle Edition)
I'm gonna be brief because i don't particularly enjoy reading long reviews. All I'll say is I was sadly disappointed. I was looking forward to reading this, intrigued by the caption, and bought it as soon as I could. It took me a month to get through, and I'm surprised I even finished it. And I read books FAST. The characters make decisions that I simply don't understand, cause most of their problems due to these silly decisions, and there is honestly no depth to the plot. The book is like reading a list of problems and seeing a bunch of characters you don't particularly care about mope around in self pity. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this book really was such a let down. Though the author does leave potential for an interesting sequel, indicating toward the end (which, if you do read the book, I'd skip to because it's the only time in which anything happens) that the plot may pick up from there, I don't know if I'll bother to read it because of my extreme disappointment with this one. Maybe I'm just getting a wee bit tired of all this repetitive paranormal romance, but I haven't had any other problems in the genre recently. Maybe the sequel will be better. Anyway, unoriginal (or for those that were original, incomplete) plot lines and some characters that just fell flat with me. It seems that the majority of reviews differed from mine, which surprised me, but maybe I'm just impatient for a really riveting read which this was not. Disappointing, but not the worst I've ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but unbelievable (almost ridiculous) love triangle, January 28, 2011
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
This book was a good first attempt and had several interesting elements, but fell down on the central love triangle plot device. I don't mind a love triangle, but this one made no sense and really damaged the reader's perception of the two main characters' moral principles. Why did Pietr ask Sarah out in the first place? I suppose he could have done so out of spite, or perhaps kindness, but it is hard to believe he would keep seeing a girl he had no feelings for. What kind of person would do that? How much more will it hurt her down the line when he eventually breaks up with her after they've been going out a long time? Isn't it crueler to be so obviously into another girl right in front of your girlfriend? His casual cheating behind Sarah's back with her "best friend" is morally reprehensible, and I lost respect for both main characters as a result.

As for Jessie, it is totally unbelievable that she would be so self-sacrificing for the girl whose selfish behaviour was responsible for her mother's death. It would have made more sense if Sarah had been a good, kind and true friend before she lost her memory, despite the joyride incident, but are we really meant to believe Jessie is giving up the man she wants so badly she would risk her life, just to please an evil girl who terrorized the entire school? If the Pietr/Sarah relationship continues in book 2 it will require too much suspension of disbelief to keep reading the series.

That said, I am giving the book 3 stars because it held my interest, I liked the Russian element and I felt it was well written, with good dialogue and interesting characters. Pietr's family looks promising, as does whatever secret Derek is hiding, and Amy is also fun. Too bad the main characters are cheating, immoral and selfish, despite their outward show of misplaced and ridiculous selflessness and kindness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent werewolf YA--the series will probably get better from here on., June 28, 2010
Tiger (North Alabama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
Jessica lives in the small town of Junction (every time I read the name, I start humming "Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"), and she's healing from her mother's death when Pietr Rusakova, a Russian-American student from Farthington, the site of a highly publicized and gory wolf attack, moves to her school. She's assigned to show him around, and though she's not falling at his feet like other girls, she still finds him intriguing. Pietr's hiding major secrets, but the back cover tells us the two secrets (werewolfism and mafia connections), so there's not really a mystery to unravel.

I thought Jessica was funny, and she has a talkative sort of brain, so whenever she's thinking, her thoughts will get chatty/rambly in an endearing way. I also like how she's not interested in the new guy right away--she's still in raptures over her longtime crush, football player Derek, and can't spare much time to drool over Pietr, who she reacts to with annoyance.

I was frowning, though, when Jessica pushes Pietr into a relationship with one of her friends, a relationship he doesn't want. Jessica and Pietr continue to see each other, discuss their feelings, and sneak kisses, all while he's technically supposed to be dating this other girl. I don't feel comfortable with anything about this situation; not Jessie pressuring Pietr because she feels sorry for her friend, or Pietr going along with it and being unable to stand up for himself and tell the girl he doesn't like her, or with either of them for continuing to get cozy when it means being dishonest. They're not shady people--I really don't get why they decide to behave this way.

13 to Life is written in an easygoing, conversational style, but it takes a while for anything much to happen--the mafia angle appears in the final fifth of the novel. I might be grabbing the sequel, and as always, if you're into werewolves and YA, you should still try it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars 13 To Life, November 9, 2010
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
My Thoughts: Wow, what a fantastic debut novel! We meet Jess who is called to Guidance; she wanders down the hall not knowing if she's getting called in to talk about her mom again or for an article she wrote and she might be in trouble for it! We than meet Pietr who is new to town and also waiting in Guidance. Jess gets the job to be his guide and show him around school. Yes, he's cute but he's also very annoying, she thinks. He gets under her skin and I really liked how much she butchered his name! How funny!

Of course Jess has no romantic interest in Pietr she leds herself to believe. She's interested in Derek who she's been swooning over for 2 years now. We are also introduced to Amy and Sarah. I believed Amy was a real friend from the get go, but Sarah not so much. And once her story comes out, we realize just why that is. I never really liked Derek but Pietr was so much fun to interact with.

Sarah starts dating Pietr and Jess starts to realize how much she enjoys Pietr's company, he understands her a bit more than she thinks. Isn't that always what it's like? We want something we can't have?

13 To Life was a bit slow in parts but its the first book in a series so sometimes the setting up takes a while and I expect the next book will be even better. I did really love this one but I'm hoping the next one warrants the same as a 5 star book. I am a huge fan of romance/love triangles/ and thats basically just what this book is. Of course, there is also the element of what exactly Pietr "is."

Overall: Loved it! Very nice debut. Can't wait to read more from Delaney!

Cover: Really like the cover. It has a bit of a mystery feel to it and its blue!

What I'd Give It: 5/5 Cupcakes

Softcover Edition
Taken from Princess Bookie

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and Poorly Written, October 3, 2010
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
This book was utterly bizarre to me. When I read it I was left wondering if I overlooked something, went back a few pages, and discovered that no, it was just randomly added in. It was like a bad fanfiction, with nonsensical additions to the plot and pathetically described situations. The main characters are dating after knowing each other for literally 3 days. Nothing made sense, and it was frustrating to attempt understanding the childish world of Jessica and Pietr.
The characters make bad decisions, and aren't particularly realistic or relatable. The plot is standard, and nothing different from any other fiction.
Don't bother, because this book will simply confuse, leaving you wondering why the heck you wasted your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good werewolf book, June 26, 2010
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
Jessica thought her life became complicated when her mother died in a car accident, but nothing can prepare her for meeting Pietr Rusakova. A new student at Junction High, this gorgeous Russian-American turns Jessica's world completely around. As Pietr's guide around school, Jessica quickly becomes fed up with the excess of female attention that follows him everywhere. But the more time Jessica and Pietr spend together, Jessica realizes that there's something about Pietr. It may be a combination of looks and his secrets, but Jessica soon finds herself drawn into Pietr's mysterious world. She can only hope she'll survive it.

13 to Life is, to no one's surprise, yet another addition to the exponentially growing group of young adult paranormal novels. You'd think that given the sheer about of pages devoted to vampires, werewolves, faeries, and whatnot, I'd have become bored of this same old tale. However, I must have an uncanny sixth sense because I'm generally pleased with most paranormal YA books that I pick up. 13 to Life is no exception. There are always the positives, like realistic characters and an engaging plot. In addition, there are the negatives; for example, Delany doesn't clearly explain the connections among the wolf attack in Farthington, the secrets of the Rusakova family, and the Russian mafia. This novel is overall enjoyable and exciting, but since there are so many others life it and Delany's writing isn't the shining star of awesome, veteran readers of this genre may not be so eager to snatch this one up.

13 to Life may be enjoyed by fans of The Dark Divine by Bree Despain, Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lunn Barnes, and Firespell by Chloe Neill.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother..., December 12, 2010
The Don (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
I can't bring myself to give it one star because it wasn't quite dismal, but it sure came close. I got about a third of the way through and skimmed the rest. The characters are annoying, the writing style is annoying and the plot is all but none existent. The main character has all this chatter in her head that leads us to believe she is a strong independent girl who is intelligent and motivated, but everything she does suggest she is ridiculous, immature, narcissistic and has no sense of worth at all. I finally got so irritated I had to stop reading it. Oh, and the whole Russian spin was completely uninspired. The Aurthur obviously took no time to research Russian culture, and chose to just put 'da' in front of everything the main male character said. I was officially done when this guy started dating Jessica's friend because she told him to and because she couldn't bring herself to admit that she liked him. I lost all respect for the characters involved and even feel insulted for the intended target audience (high school) who are way more intelligent and mature than this book gives credit. I would definitely save your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars ugh...got annoying, October 30, 2010
Bookworm936 (In the Middle of NoWhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
I didn't like this book simply because I didn't like the two main characters. I found the female lead annoying since she was always playing the martyr role then regretting it. The male lead was annoying simply because the author kept adding "da" after everything he said. The whole "da" thing was very over done. I understand he is Russian and has an accent but I felt it too much. I had a difficult time making it though half the book and just couldn't bring myself to finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review - [...]., June 22, 2010
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
Take a modern day werewolf tale and mix it with star-crossed lovers and toss in a little Russian mafia and what do you get? A fast-paced story that you won't want to put down!

Soon after Jessica is assigned to guide new student Pietr Rusakova around the school, she realizes there is more to him than meets the eye. Of course being the new guy who just happens to super hot gets Pietr a lot of attention...and due to mostly her own actions, Jessica senses that theirs is a love that is not to be.

Despite her own intentions fate seems to have other plans for Jessica and Pietr and the more they get to know each other the deeper the mystery becomes. The one connection they cannot deny is that they have both lost parents. Jessica has just recently lost her mother in a horrible accident (and whoah the complications involved in this part of the story are HUGE!) and both of Pietr's parents were murdered in a nearby town. They make a promise to each other to be together on the dates of their parents deaths no matter what.

Through out the story Pietr continues to ask Jessica "What makes someone a man, or a monster?" Something she won't fully understand until its standing right in front of her. There is a lot of detail to this story and after I finished the book I kept thinking about all the little plot points that were definitely left unanswered....I won't mention them here but I'm hoping for answers in book 2 Secrets and Shadows!

I really enjoyed this book! Mystery, murder, a love triangle, werewolves, the Russian mafia and romance...whew! That's a lot packed into one great read! I know I'll have to buy at least two copies to appease my paranormal readers in the library. Can't wait for the sequel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange pacing and one of the lamest plot devices ever..., March 19, 2011
This review is from: 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (Paperback)
I picked up the sequel, Secrets and Shadows, and I realized I remembered almost nothing from 13 to Life, so I thought I'd read it again. What a mistake. Rereading 13 to Life only reminded me of the three things I hated about it when I read the book the first time.

1. LAMEST. PLOT. DEVICE. EVER. Jessie likes Pietr. Pietr likes Jessie. So Jessie "unselfishly" tells Pietr to be with her best frenemy, Sarah, because that's the "honorable" thing to do. What is honorable about telling the boy you love--and who loves you--to be with your psychotic friend and then kissing him behind her back? YA books seem to have to find a way for the lovers to be star-crossed--a reason why they can't be together--but this is the WORST excuse I've ever seen. I can't be with you because my friend likes you. Even though you don't like her. So pretend you like her and I'll kiss you when she's not around. Ugh.

2. The events of this book take place over, like, two weeks. I added up the days the first time I read 13 to Life, the book spanned something like 2-3 weeks. Love like that doesn't happen in two weeks. I mean, Pietr's passionately kissing Jessie at the football game after knowing her TWO DAYS. The love and attraction between Pietr and Jessie (as claimed by the book) would be much more powerful if the story actually let them GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER FIRST. They meet. They're immediately in love (even if Jessie won't admit it at first). With barely even any conversation.

3. Pietr's secret isn't revealed until the final few pages, even though it's obvious to the reader within the first few pages. This created really strange pacing. So much of the plot is wrapped around Pietr finally revealing his secret to Jessie, but the author drags this plot point out for the entire book, and I grew impatient. This should have been revealed much, much earlier--the secret is TOO OBVIOUS to the reader, and I grew frustrated with Jessie for not realizing and with Pietr for not telling her. I felt the story couldn't move forward until Jessie knew, but the big reveal didn't occur until the very end. Much too late.

Despite these issues, I will read the sequel. Let's hope the author dumps the sham Pietr/Sarah relationship and moves the story forward now that Jessie knows Pietr's secret.

13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale
13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale by Shannon Delany (Paperback - June 22, 2010)
$9.99 $8.45