5.0 out of 5 stars One of my absolute faves
This is it. Right here. First time I heard this album, I went, "Unh..." Second time I heard it, I realized that I'd been heaping my expectations upon it, and when I let Fugazi tell me who they are, I discovered one of the best cds I'll ever own. If you like guitars, it doesn't get any better than this.
This is hardcore punk, but it's more than that. Influenced...
Published on May 9, 2003 by Nathan B. Hyatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't aged well
I loved Fugazi in high school and this was one of the first albums I ever purchased, but I've noticed it hasn't aged well. I'm personally am not a fan of Ian Mackaye's leftist politics either, or atleast not now. While I will give Mr. Mackaye credit he has managed to keep Dischord independent for over 3 decades. Hits for me are Suggestion, Bad Mouth, Promises, and Margin...
Published on June 18, 2012 by bananasarerad

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my absolute faves, May 9, 2003
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
This is hardcore punk, but it's more than that. Influenced by reggae, Fugazi crafted an entirely new style that was imitated by EVERY guitar band in the 90s. Literally. But you can't beat the original, and this is it. Fugazi is the culmination of two incredible guitarists/vocalists/songwriters who made some amazing hardcore with their original bands in Minor Threat and Rites of Spring, but their powers had fully come into their own by the time they formed Fugazi, and the result is amazing.
Fugazi did EVERYTHING right; the right chords, the right vocals, the right melodies. They leave space when they're supposed to and let go when they have to. This band has a sense of DYNAMICS that not ONE band since them has. I'm not talking about cheap "Loud-soft" or "start-stop" dynamics. This band had much more than just two modes.
Their debut is amazing. The two singers are distinct yet complimentary, especially when they're singing together. Ian is just as amazing of a back-up vocalist to Guy as he is a frontman in his own right, and that's why this band is the best ever: the chemistry.
Stop reading and BUY THIS ALBUM NOW. It WILL change your life. If you're ready for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What alternative really means, February 12, 2000
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
The term "alternative" should be used to describe music like this. Rather than being used on anything with distorted guitars, it should describe music that is actually alternative and different from what other people are doing. Well, that is EXACTLY what Fugazi is. 13 Songs is a strange, fascinating ride you won't regret taking.
If you are a fan of Minor Threat, you'll probably be checking this CD out because Ian McKaye is Fugazi's frontman. That's how I heard about Fugazi anyways. But don't buy this thinking it'll harcore punk in the Minor Threat vein - it's not. It's something totally different. While there is without a doubt a punk sound to it, it's not really a punk album. Fugazi is really hard to describe: just buy it. It's good.
The lyrics can be a little strange. Many say they are insightful but unfortunately I think some of them are saying that because they have no idea what they mean. The lyrics of Fugazi don't make their points as blatantly as Minor Threat did (compare a song like "Out of Step" to "Provisional"). The music is catchy and quite funky on a lot of songs, but with punk bite to spare.
To close, buy 13 Songs. It's one of the better CDs of real alternative you can buy. The highlights include "Waiting Room", "Suggestion", "Margin Walker", "And the Same", "Burning Too", and "Promises." Don't miss out on Fugazi.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, January 9, 2000
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
The first Fugazi ep changed punk/hardcore music forever and it changed me. I was a messed up punk kid in high school when I first heard them, and the song "Suggestion" probably saved my life. I've seen Fugazi several times in the past eleven years and I have all of their records but the first two eps are definately my favorite. They touch my soul. I know that's pretty cheesy, but it's true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect place to start for anyone wanting to know Fugazi, August 11, 2005
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
This is an exellent album, kind of like punk going in full circle. You can hear a lot of the music that must have influenced the Fugazi band members in their youth. Waiting room, promises and bad mouth for example brings to mind a lot of early UB40, Clash and even some early 80s Ska (Specials, Selecter) especially in the interchange of vocals between Ian MacKaye and Guy while the impressive margin walker brings to mind Stiff Little Fingers in their first 2 albums.

For anyone who has not heard Fugazi before this album is the best place to start (not least because it is their first one)for someone who has not heard any of the above mentioned bands before or whose musical tastes are more towards faster punk/hardcore music this album may need a few more listens to grow on you (if you have listened to Minor Threat and are expecting a continuation of the same sound you might want to listen to Embrace and Rites of Spring to give you an idea of what to expect on this album)

Highly intelligent lyrics, less direct than many other punk bands (Dead Kennedys, Citizen Fish etc) with the exception of suggestion. Fugazi seem to be a band that prefer their actions to speak for their politics rather than their words.

Exellent and intelligent music and lyrics well worth listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learnification, February 7, 2005
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
The first seven songs (first EP) should be mandatory listening for anyone who claims to like rock. Actually, scratch that. They should be mandatory listening for anyone.

Oh and the rest of the CD is pretty good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Conscious Of Modern Alternative Music, May 5, 2006
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
If you follow alternative music, I would be surprised if you havent heard of Fugazi. They are known as the epitome of a band that will not sell out. They sell all their discs at bargain prices, and their concerts are always reasonably priced, for admission. This is their masterpiece, and "Waiting Room" is their finest hour. I would recomend all their albums, but this is their best punk album. As their later discs get out, they tend to defy description. However, I think its fair to say this is the album that made them relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any disenfranchised youth, October 28, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
Nine years ago when I was 16, I heard this album for the first time. It really changed what I thought about music, and how it was made. Completely independent and unpretentious, this album has a raw power that still gets to me even now when I play it every couple of years. If you are interested in Fugazi , buy this...you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite gateway album, December 26, 2001
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
I was a 16 year old sophmore living in the Atlanta suburb of Dunwoody in 1991 when I first heard this album. It changed everything. While that was the same year Nirvana's "Nevermind" came out, it was "13 Songs" that showed me what music could be and the raw emotion in could inflect in a suburban 16 year old. While my taste in music long ago drifted from indie, emo-core, or whatever the "true" alternative brand of music of the early '90s was called, I definitely credit this band and that old scene of bands like Slint, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., "Gish" era Pumpkins, etc. etc. for opening up the door for artists and genres I would encounter. It was Fugazi that led me to music as far and wide as Herbie Hancock,Widespread Panic, Steely Dan, Phish, Galactic, & Lyle .Lovett. This may seem odd to those in their late teens/early 20's reading this, but those who experienced the heady days of the incredible early '90s alternative rock know exactly what I mean. Enjoy...

4.0 out of 5 stars The introduction of post-hardcore., March 28, 2003
Shotgun Method (NY... No, not *that* NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
Fugazi is the fusion of two great 80's bands--the legendary straightedge hardcore act Minor Threat (led by Ian McKaye) and Rites Of Spring (fronted by Guy Piccoto). The result is perhaps one of the most original bands out there.
Fugazi has a pretty unique sound, and describing them is difficult. Are they hardcore, like Minor Threat? Not really, though they lean that way at times (especially on In On The Kill Taker). In 13 Songs, one can hear strong dub and art-rock influences along with their punk ethos. The band shows mastery of dynamics, using a wide variety of tempos and delivery. The lyrics take on similar topics as Minor Threat, but tend to be deeper and more abstract. So, what is Fugazi? I'd say simply "great."
13 Songs is grafted together from two EPs, but still feels coherent like it was recorded in one sitting. Although the material presented here is not as sophisticated as their later stuff, this is one hell of an awesome debut and possibly their most consistent effort ever. Waiting Room, Bulldog Front, Burning, Margin Walker, And The Same, Provisional, and Promises are all Fugazi standards, and the rest of this album is solid with lots of rocking basslines, great shared vocals from Ian and Guy, and sheets of angry guitar.
In short, this is punk for the thinking man. I highly recommend it, along with later albums Repeater, In On The Kill Taker, and The Argument.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic post-punk, if there is such a thing., April 10, 2000
Derek Fricano (East Lansing, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13 Songs (Audio CD)
This CD was my first foray into punk rock, and that was back in 1992. The best part is that, even though the album was already three years old (eons in the underground music scene), it was so fresh and new and different that I was drooling for more. How can you go wrong with the slip-slide bass line for "Waiting Room?" Or the dynamic dynamics of the teeth-grinding "Bulldog Front?" Or the almost psychedelic "Glue Man?" Fugazi has the right mix of musical craftsmanship and innovation, political outspokenness, and overall enigma to keep them consistently interesting and crucial to the larger world of music. Seven years after I bought it, and eleven years after its initial release, "13 Songs" is still one of my top picks when I want some thought-provoking rock.

13 Songs
13 Songs by Fugazi (Audio CD - 1990)