Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 29, 2011
I received the two-8-packs of 13W CFL today. I installed the first one in the basement replacing a 60W incandescent bulb, about 15 feet from another 60W incandescent. The CFL is not as bright as the incandescent. Checking packages the 60W puts out 850 lumens versus 825 lumens for the 13W. Not much difference. I think the slightly less lumens plus the yellowish color makes it seems not as bright. I also have 20W and 23W CFL bulbs installed around the house. I would recommend using the 20W CFL for work locations, the 13W does not provide enough illumination. I have a 20W next to my recliner and it is great for reading. The 23W are brighter than the 75W incandescent bulbs. I have the 23W in my workshop.
Be careful where you use the bulbs. We have used CFL bulbs for over 15 years. Some are 15 years old and still working other burned out after six months. CFL bulbs in recessed cans, enclosed ceiling fixtures and cans on ceiling fans have burned out early. Research showed that the heat generated by the ballast at the base of the bulb is the cause. The CFL in our yard light has been in place for over two years and going strong.
We also use CFL bulbs at our bookstore. In 18 months none have burned out.
The base is wider than most incandescent bulbs and may not fit some fixtures. There are socket extenders that will allow the use of CFL in some areas. Check Home Depot for the extenders, Lowes does not carry them.
22 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2011
These 13 watt CFL bulbs are quick start and a great replacement for standard 60 watt, soft white, incandescent bulbs.

The color temp is 2.7K which is (soft) warm white, the same as a standard 60 watt incandescent bulbs. They put out a little more illumination then the 60 watt bulbs. That is a plus. Everything will look the same colors in your rooms where you change to these CFL bulbs. That is important.

I used these in all the bathroom ceiling fixtures, vanity mirrors, hallway lights, every table lamp, floor lamp and even the kitchen ceiling spots.

The garage and basement are also illuminated with these energy saving CFL's.

These will not work with dimmer circuits so keep that in mind when ordering.

They are fragile and the packers have to be careful when packaging these along with other items.

I have received some broken bulbs and they were quick to refund for the broken ones.

I have replaced 58 incandescent bulbs already and look forward to having these CFL's last as long as the warranty says they will.
on December 25, 2011
These all arrived in once piece (something I was afraid of after reading other reviews!), and installed easily. They also turn on fast at almost full brightness, something that I guess the newer energy efficient bulbs do? I have some older ones (two years or so) that take awhile to warm up. These are almost right away, which is great!

The only problem I have with them is that they are a little longer than other 60 watt energy efficient bulbs I have, resulting in one more twist at the top. This caused them to not fit in the light holders in my bathroom that have plastic caps on them. I'm not sure if these are the "normal" size and my other bulbs were just short, or what, but that was a disappointment and I'll have to try to find smaller bulbs specifically for those lights.
on December 28, 2012
I paid $16.95 for this bundle in 2/2012 which included the free super saver shipping. So now I probably wouldn't buy this bundle from this seller again. I can say however, the package arrived safely, no breakage or damage whatsoever. And I received the pkg in quick fashion.

My personal experiences
with CFL bulbs.

I replaced all regular light bulbs in my home with the CFLs between Oct 11 and Oct 12th, 2011 and have yet to replace a single bulb. I replaced a total of 27 bulbs at a cost of $41.00 back then. Ordered this bundle of bulbs for future replacement purposes, glad I did, prices have increased.

I used one particular
CFL bulb only.

The 60 watt equivilant bulb(uses ONLY 13 watts of energy) and
the soft white 2700k version. I was told that the light it gives off is closes to actual daylight and as of 3/7/2015 this remains true for me. Further I notice no humming or buzzing or any sounds coming from any of my CFLs. Also, I've placed them in 8" globe light fixtures(one indoors and 3 outdoors) with no problems so far.

They do not match the amount of light 100w incandescent bulbs, so I switch on a few more(still saving energy and $)when called for. But life is about change and for me about being energy efficient and frugal! These CFL 60watt equivilant bulbs do all of that for me.

Now on to the more useful
information:

I have two 4 light tracs, and turning those on uses only 52 watts of energy each! That is amazing!

Since I have a dislike of flourescent light in my home(too artificial and zaps my energy)... this particular CFL is a PERFECT replacement. The light eminating from my chosen CFL bulbs, looks and feels just like my old incandescent bulbs, as they are the closest thing to real light, or were when I set out to switch over. So all my research told me. With this much passage of time I'm sure other models have been created, so do your own research but stick with my suggestions for use below! I'm sure it's still pertinent.

I did research prior to replacing my bulbs. There are two IMPORTANT FACTORS that come into play when using CFLs.

1) When installing/replacing a CFL, DO NOT touch them with you bare hands.
2) When turning a CFL light bulb on, LEAVE IT ON for 15 minutes. They do not like being switched on and off abruptly, like incandescent light bulbs. This took getting use to, old habits don't go away overnight. But I 'did succeed' at reprogramming myself!

I have a friend who went back to his regular light bulbs because the CFLs were burning out. I have to wonder if he either didn't know how to properly install/use CFLs or just didn't care. Kind of surprising since he works at a retail hardware outlet.

I am totally a believer in CFLs. My electric bill reflects the switch over evern though I live alone in an 1100 sq ft stick built home.

Thought my comment might assist someone else in their decision to replace or not to replace current light bulbs.

One last thing.

When you first turn CFLs on... they will appear a bit dim, but when they warm up, they get brighter! I have no plans of going to a brighter CFL, mine are working just fine and I enjoy the warm, soft and golden glow of their light! Go green, save energy, save money, make the switch!

It's now 3/7/2015 and not single CFL light bulb has burned out !
on October 31, 2011
I've checked so many online websites such as 1000bulbs.com and bulbs.com and the prices on those websites can not beat these. Furthermore, bulbs.com called me a few weeks ago and wanted to sell some more of these lightbulbs to me and I told them, sorry, but your prices have gone up significantly since my last purchase and therefore I have to buy somewhere else. The nerve of the lady to tell me her company's prices are very competitive hold no merit here. You will not be disappointed with your purchase from Amazon.
review image review image
on June 8, 2011
Really what can I say? I've purchased 4 packages of these over the last six months, replacing all the incandescents in the 2800 sq ft home I'm renting. I'm sure I don't have to get into the benefits of CFLs vs. regular light bulbs but suffice it to say, we even use them over the vanities (where we have rows of 4-8 bulbs) and everything is brighter and cooler. They're inexpensive and work just as well as the pricier one at the store.
on June 5, 2011
I was a bit hesitant as i've heard 15W replaces 60W incandescent but these 13W's GE 13-Watt Energy SmartTM 60 Watt Replacement - 2 Packs of 8 Bulbs - 16 Total Bulbs are just as bright as my 100W's and there's no delay or dull period when the switch is flicked...haven't received my electric bill to say what the savings are yet tho.
on June 1, 2011
These are great, energy efficient light bulbs at a price that most brick-and-mortar stores cannot come close to matching! The packaging is easy enough to handle and the light bulbs work great! They don't need any time to 'warm up' to full brightness, either. At least, they don't in my house! I don't know what else to say except that I bought 2 sets of 2 packs of 8, for 32 bulbs. They all are doing great! No complaints!
on November 23, 2014
Just received and happy none appear to be broken. I was concerned based on other reviewers with bulbs arriving broken. I have not used GE in the past, but based on other major brands, I can tell you they last 2 years in my outdoor lights that are on a timer and lit 10 to 12 hours a day. We travel a lot, and I keep a spreadsheet of all our bulbs on timers (around 10) to check how long they have been in use. I change ones that are older and have a chance of burning out while we are away. I also reuse the ones that have been used when I know we will be home for a few months.

As for price, I guess a lot of people forgot what CFL 60w bulbs sold for before the government banned incandescent bulbs. I could easily find sales at the big box retailers where an 8 pack of a major brand sold for $8. That's $1 a bulb. Prices have skyrocketed now that the competition is gone.
on May 18, 2016
This review is for: GE 13-Watt Energy SmartTM 60 Watt Replacement - 2 Packs of 8 Bulbs - 16 Total Bulbs by General Electric

My wife and I have three boys, one teenage son, an 8 year old, and a 7 year old. We live in a two-story home with many many lights and my wife and I are always turning off many many lights LOL. We were looking for something to start switching out our normal bulbs, to something that's going to save us some money, but not lose the brightness that we like. Also we live in Arizona and in the summertime we can see electric bills as high as 400+ dollars. My wife does not like the really bright White looking lightbulbs. They tend to make her head hurt, so we were looking for something that looked more like a normal lightbulb. These lightbulbs arrived packed very well in two 8 packs. We used 5 of these in the boys bathroom, and 8 of them in our upstairs den and hallways. We put the three remaining ones in each of our boys rooms. The color of these is that warm regular lightbulb light that my wife likes. They are just as bright as our old regular lightbulbs (60watts). The boys ceiling fans run all day long and all night long and these lightbulbs did not seem to be affected by the vibration of the fan. We are going to buy more of these and eventually switch out all of our light bulbs in the house to these lightbulbs.