Published on November 29, 2011 by MikeMar1955

1.0 out of 5 stars worst value ever
Bought two pack to replace standard bulbs. Noticed they were going out sooner than "normal" . Started writing the date of installation back in 2009. These CFL bulbs don't last as long as incondecent. Don't waste your money.
Published on October 13, 2012 by C. Watters

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice but buy a little more wattage for better illumination, November 29, 2011
This review is from: GE 13-Watt Energy SmartTM 60 Watt Replacement - 2 Packs of 8 Bulbs - 16 Total Bulbs (Tools & Home Improvement)
I received the two-8-packs of 13W CFL today. I installed the first one in the basement replacing a 60W incandescent bulb, about 15 feet from another 60W incandescent. The CFL is not as bright as the incandescent. Checking packages the 60W puts out 850 lumens versus 825 lumens for the 13W. Not much difference. I think the slightly less lumens plus the yellowish color makes it seems not as bright. I also have 20W and 23W CFL bulbs installed around the house. I would recommend using the 20W CFL for work locations, the 13W does not provide enough illumination. I have a 20W next to my recliner and it is great for reading. The 23W are brighter than the 75W incandescent bulbs. I have the 23W in my workshop.
Be careful where you use the bulbs. We have used CFL bulbs for over 15 years. Some are 15 years old and still working other burned out after six months. CFL bulbs in recessed cans, enclosed ceiling fixtures and cans on ceiling fans have burned out early. Research showed that the heat generated by the ballast at the base of the bulb is the cause. The CFL in our yard light has been in place for over two years and going strong.
We also use CFL bulbs at our bookstore. In 18 months none have burned out.
The base is wider than most incandescent bulbs and may not fit some fixtures. There are socket extenders that will allow the use of CFL in some areas. Check Home Depot for the extenders, Lowes does not carry them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, Excellent FIVE STAR SERVICE., October 17, 2011
These 13 watt CFL bulbs are quick start and a great replacement for standard 60 watt, soft white, incandescent bulbs.

The color temp is 2.7K which is (soft) warm white, the same as a standard 60 watt incandescent bulbs. They put out a little more illumination then the 60 watt bulbs. That is a plus. Everything will look the same colors in your rooms where you change to these CFL bulbs. That is important.

I used these in all the bathroom ceiling fixtures, vanity mirrors, hallway lights, every table lamp, floor lamp and even the kitchen ceiling spots.

The garage and basement are also illuminated with these energy saving CFL's.

These will not work with dimmer circuits so keep that in mind when ordering.

They are fragile and the packers have to be careful when packaging these along with other items.

I have received some broken bulbs and they were quick to refund for the broken ones.

I have replaced 58 incandescent bulbs already and look forward to having these CFL's last as long as the warranty says they will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turn on fast - little longer than "normal", December 25, 2011
These all arrived in once piece (something I was afraid of after reading other reviews!), and installed easily. They also turn on fast at almost full brightness, something that I guess the newer energy efficient bulbs do? I have some older ones (two years or so) that take awhile to warm up. These are almost right away, which is great!

The only problem I have with them is that they are a little longer than other 60 watt energy efficient bulbs I have, resulting in one more twist at the top. This caused them to not fit in the light holders in my bathroom that have plastic caps on them. I'm not sure if these are the "normal" size and my other bulbs were just short, or what, but that was a disappointment and I'll have to try to find smaller bulbs specifically for those lights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using CFLs since 10/2011~still no burn outs~1/29/14, December 28, 2012
I paid $16.95 for this bundle in 2/2012 which included the free super saver shipping. So now I probably wouldn't buy this bundle from this seller again. I can say however, the package arrived safely, no breakage or damage whatsoever. And I received the pkg in quick fashion.

My personal experiences
with CFL bulbs.

I replaced all regular light bulbs in my home with the CFLs between October 11 and October 28th, 2011 and have yet to replace a single bulb. I replaced a total of 27 bulbs at a cost of $41.00 back then. Ordered this bundle of bulbs for future replacement purposes, glad I did, prices have increased.

I used one particular
CFL bulb only.

The 60 watt equivilant bulb(uses ONLY 13 watts of energy) and
the soft white 2700k version. Further I notice no humming or buzzing or any sounds coming from any of my CFLs. Also, I've placed them in an 8" globe light fixtures(one indoors and 3 outdoors) with no problems so far.

They do not match the amount of light that the 100w incandescent bulbs I used to use, so I switch on a few more(still saving energy and money), when called for. But life is about change and for me about being energy efficient and frugal! These CFL 60watt equivilant bulbs do all of that for me.

Now on to the more useful
information:

I have two 4 light tracs, and turning those on uses only 52 watts of energy!

Since I have a dislike of flourescent light in my home(too artificial and zaps my energy)... this particular CFL is a PERFECT replacement. The light eminating from my chosen CFL bulbs, looks and feels just like my old incandescent bulbs, as they are the closest thing to real light, or were when I set out to switch over. So all my research told me.

I did research prior to replacing my bulbs. There are two IMPORTANT FACTORS that come into play when using CFLs.

1) When installing/replacing a CFL, DO NOT touch them with you bare hands.
2) When turning a CFL light bulb on, LEAVE IT ON for 15 minutes. They do not like being switched on and off abruptly, like incandescent light bulbs. This took getting use to, old habits don't go away overnight. But I 'did succeed' at reprogramming myself!

I have a friend who went back to his regular light bulbs because the CFLs were burning out. I have to wonder if he either didn't know how to properly install/use CFLs or just didn't care. Kind of surprising since he works at a retail hardware outlet.

I am totally a believer in CFLs. My electric bill reflects the switch over evern though I live alone in an 1100 sq ft stick built home.

Thought my comment might assist someone else in their decision to replace or not to replace current light bulbs.

One last thing.

When you first turn CFLs on... they will appear a dim, but when they warm up, they get brighter! I have no plans of going to a brighter CFL, mine are working just fine and I enjoy the warm, soft and golden glow of their light! Go green, save energy, save money, make the switch!

It's now 1/29/2014 and not single CFL light bulb has burned out as yet!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally lights without a delay!, January 25, 2011
Kindle Customer (HILLSIDE, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This product as stated by the previous reviewer as no delay! Which for most of us is extremely important because we like to walk into the room and actually SEE where we're going. It does start at slightly less bright but it is more than bright enough to continue using and in about 10 to 20 seconds it is up to its brightest setting. I'm sure that with time this will probably change because I will burn in the lights as they say which usually fixes almost any delay if it is at all possible to fix. The price isn't bad but it is only about $2 off of the price of buying the sylvannia lights at our local BJ's warehouse. Besides that they seem to be in working order without a delay which is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value out there and work great!, June 8, 2011
Really what can I say? I've purchased 4 packages of these over the last six months, replacing all the incandescents in the 2800 sq ft home I'm renting. I'm sure I don't have to get into the benefits of CFLs vs. regular light bulbs but suffice it to say, we even use them over the vanities (where we have rows of 4-8 bulbs) and everything is brighter and cooler. They're inexpensive and work just as well as the pricier one at the store.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredibly bright for 13W!, June 5, 2011
I was a bit hesitant as i've heard 15W replaces 60W incandescent but these 13W's GE 13-Watt Energy SmartTM 60 Watt Replacement - 2 Packs of 8 Bulbs - 16 Total Bulbs are just as bright as my 100W's and there's no delay or dull period when the switch is flicked...haven't received my electric bill to say what the savings are yet tho.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Price is Right!, June 1, 2011
These are great, energy efficient light bulbs at a price that most brick-and-mortar stores cannot come close to matching! The packaging is easy enough to handle and the light bulbs work great! They don't need any time to 'warm up' to full brightness, either. At least, they don't in my house! I don't know what else to say except that I bought 2 sets of 2 packs of 8, for 32 bulbs. They all are doing great! No complaints!

1.0 out of 5 stars worst value ever, October 13, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for and arrived undamaged., October 31, 2011
I've checked so many online websites such as 1000bulbs.com and bulbs.com and the prices on those websites can not beat these. Furthermore, bulbs.com called me a few weeks ago and wanted to sell some more of these lightbulbs to me and I told them, sorry, but your prices have gone up significantly since my last purchase and therefore I have to buy somewhere else. The nerve of the lady to tell me her company's prices are very competitive hold no merit here. You will not be disappointed with your purchase from Amazon.