Creative, inventive recipes for America's top comfort food -- more than 2 billion grilled cheese sandwiches are eaten each year!
The classic grilled cheese sandwich is now one of the biggest trends in cooking and enjoying an incredible resurgence in popularity. Top bloggers, NPR, and ABC are reporting that grilled cheese sandwiches are one of the top food trends to watch out for -- many have even said "grilled cheese is the new burger."
These recipes are fabulous: they begin with the comfort food feel of the grilled cheese which we all love and then make them incredibly versatile -- they're uptown, downtown, simple, gourmet, seasonal. And the recipes aren't limited to just lunch or dinner. There are recipes for snacks, appetizers and even desserts. Perfect for the home cook who wants tasty, healthy, economical meals featuring fresh ingredients.
There's a sandwich for every occasion and most are really family-friendly:
- Breakfast/Brunch recipes such as Stuffed Nutella French Toast, Grilled Smoked Salmon
- Appetizers such as Caprese Panini, Grilled Cheese Bruschetta
- Lightened-Up and Healthy fresh ingredients, lighter cheeses and healthy breads including gluten-free to create "lightened-up" grilled cheese sandwiches
- Meatless filled with favorite vegetables, herbs and cheese
- "Beef" up your favorite grilled cheese
- Bacon, ham, pork and prosciutto recreate the classic grilled cheese
- New and creative ways to use chicken and turkey
- Seafood: Grilled Salmon and Gruyere, and Shrimp Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Condiments from aiolis to Mango Chutney
- Desserts: Chocolate, fruits and cheese create decadent dessert sandwiches
Best of all, grilled cheese sandwiches are so simple they're also perfect for college students, beginner cooks and even for kids who want to help in the kitchen. So whether you like to enjoy your sandwich with soup in the winter or with seasonal summer produce, these classic and new recipes fit the bill.