5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Johnny
Published on October 4, 2001 by Avalon Don

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bleep #@&* out!!!
Published on September 15, 2004 by J. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Johnny, October 4, 2001
Avalon Don "Avalon Don" (Huntington Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
This is as good as any single disc out there for people wanting only one Johnny Cash hits collection. ( Sorry, you can't put almost fifty years of recordings on one album or box set. ) This cd covers his early period, the live prison songs and the rest of the best. Much has been said about "The Man In Black", for me my favorite part of his music is how well he does train songs, which are found on "Get Rhythm/Story Of Trains And Rivers". He's also one of the best concert performers I've ever seen. Every fan of music needs one Cash album. So, start here and follow up after hearing the various tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The REAL Johnny and June Story, February 27, 2006
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
This excellent collection is, amazingly, the very first "best of" collection of the legendary country duet Johnny Cash and June Carter. Spanning the years 1964 to 1980, the album features seven of their eight singles (curiously missing "If I Had a Hammer") as well as many rare duet tracks from Cash solo albums. Although the couple sang together for 35 years, they actually recorded surprisingly few songs together despite being one of country music's most popular and famous duets. The songs are (with noting of chart peak of the actual hits)

1. It Ain't Me Babe(#4)

2. Jackson (#2, Grammy winning performance)

3. Long-Legged Guitar Pickin' Man (#6)

4. Oh What A Good Thing We Had

5. Darlin' Companion

6. If I Were a Carpenter (#2, Grammy winning performance)

7. 'Cause I Love You

8. The Loving Gift (#27)

9. Help Me Make it Through the Night

10. The Pine Tree

11. No Need to Worry (#15)

12. Old Time Feeling (#26)

13. One Way Rider

14. Brand New Dance

15. Far Side Banks of Jordan

16. It Takes One to Know One

Songwriters whose works are performed include Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Edd Wheeler, Waylon Jennings, Rodney Crowell, Carlene Carter, and Johnny and June themselves.

This is true blue mainstream country music, not rock n'roll, not folk, and the Cashs are masters of the art. Their Grammy-winning classics "Jackson" and "If I Were a Carpenter" are naturally here as the hilariously sassy "Long Legged Guitar Pickin' Man". They do a fine cover of "Help Me Make it Through the Night" turning that song about sex into a song about love and co-wrote the bittersweet saga of faded love in "Oh, What a Good Thing We Had". This collection shows a quite versatile team going from hilarious comic numbers to unforgettable sagas of love and memories.

All of the performances are fine but the jewel of the collection is the deeply moving "The Loving Gift" by Kristofferson. This delicate tender song is about as fine an example of a perfect country love song as you can find and I believe it's the best thing the duo ever did. It had the misfortunate of being released as a single when lurid sex songs like "You've Never Been This Far Before" were the rage on country radio and this tale of true love didn't quite fit in and was only a minor hit for them but it's a musical masterpiece.

The duets with June were the Man in Black's ventures into Technicolor, love, and beauty. Johnny Cash always seems far happier when June was by his side (check out that beaming cover photo). Their love is all over the performances here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Overdue Collection of Johnny and June's best duet work, March 18, 2006
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
The recent success of the film Walk The Line has spawned numerous - mostly redundant - Johnny Cash solo collections. Surprisingly, this is the first attempt at compiling Johnny and June's best duet recordings and only their second fully collaborative cd (the first, a reissue of their 1967 album Carryin' On, collects the first four tracks included here).

16 Biggest Hits captures most of Johnny and June's duet singles, with their top 30 rendition of "If I Were A Hammer" strangely omitted. Their early recordings were characterized by playful banter, be it humorous ("It Ain't Me Babe," "Long-Legged Guitar Pickin' Man") or flirtatious ("Jackson"). With their marriage in 1968, there was a shift toward songs of devotion to each other ("If I Were A Carpenter," "The Loving Gift," "The Pine Tree"), and later on, God ("No Need To Worry," "Far Side Banks Of Jordan").

Eleven of these tracks were recorded between 1969 and 1977, when duets between two established solo artists were the rage (think Conway and Loretta, Porter and Dolly, George and Tammy). This collection shows that Johnny and June at their best were the equal of any of those other more prolific country tandems, ultimately creating a harmonious bond on and off record.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bleep #@&* out!!!, September 15, 2004
J. Brown (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
I've always wanted to have a little Johnny Cash on the shelf, so I went for this collection. It's got many of the standards, which is nice. BUT A TRACK OR TWO HAS BEEN EDITED TO REMOVE PROFANITY. I find this to be profane. While there may be an indication that this is the case somewhere in the item information, I missed it. Now I will have to buy (from a music store where I can listen to the tracks first and ensure they are not modified) some more Johnny Cash to get the real track. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars PRETTY GOOD IDEA ., March 27, 2006
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
Its funny, in all the years that I have been a fan of Johnny Cash I never considered a "greatest hits" of John and June duets. Interesting. Actually, to tell you the truth I never knew there were that many to fill an album. While Junes appearances lighten up a few CASH tunes, I never really considered that she was responsible for much of his sixties chart success.. (not to be mentioned the fact that SHE wrote the song RING OF FIRE..)
Well, here it is. I guess no one else considered this idea until now.. (the hit movie inspired this collection, duh_) and this is perfect for the peeps who liked the film. The WALK THE LINE soundtrack was good, I'll give you that, with fresh renditions of the JOHN/JUNE duets by JOUQUIN/REESE. But if you wanna hear what these songs REALLY sounded like, and feel what that magic was between the REAL Johnny Cash and June Carter, this collection is pretty darned intrestin'.
JACKSON, DARLIN COMPANION, LONG LEGGED GUITAR PICKIN MAN.... June Carter adds much playfulness to Johnny Cash's style. Cash's music is mainly stuff to cry to when you're drinkin', but Cash/Carter duets are stuff to clap your hands and smile to... when you're drinkin'.
Although I'm missing the Live stuff (and really I will probably mention the FOLSOM and SAN QUENTIN albums in EVERY review I write for anything CASH related... you get June Carter sass in those too, and they rock the most) but this is the meatiest collection of the two together, spanning the years 1964-1983. Theres something good about those two, they inspire good energy, you may like...

However, that has got to be the WORST picture of the two of them on the front of the CD. Whats up with that? Oh well 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some GREAT Tunes, Some So-So, Bare Bones Packaging but Still a Good Duets Collection of Johnny and June, May 9, 2006
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
JOHNNY CASH & JUNE CARTER CASH: 16 BIGGEST HITS is a decent collection of songs, some are excellent, some are just okay. If the song list looks interesting to you, then you will probably enjoy this CD. This record company has a whole line of 16 BIGGEST HITS that they do for many of their artists, so this is the one for Johnny and June.

"Jackson" and "If I Were a Carpenter" are probably the biggest hits. "Long-Legged Guitar Picking Man" is similar to "Jackson" in how the lyrics have the two singers teasing each other for laughs. "Long-Legged..." is also the only time that the real Johnny and June are heard in the movie WALK THE LINE, as the final credits roll at the end of the film. "Far Side Banks of Jordan" is a nice, spiritual tune, not really Gospel, but it was quoted by Rosanne Cash at the funeral for June Carter Cash, and has very touching lyrical content about being reunited with loved ones after death. "The Pine Tree" and "Brand New Dance" are great songs which I never heard before getting this CD. "It Ain't Me, Babe" is also another famous song, but I kind of think the version from the film, sung by Joachin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, gives this song some stiff competition as to which sounds better.

There are a few songs that don't measure up to the rest, but the good ones can keep me listening for at least half of this CD, and then I might as well just let the whole thing play.

This CD is 45 minutes long, and the songs range in length from 2:15 to 3:35 minutes. The songs were recorded between 1964 and 1983.

It seems that the record company didn't do anything special for this CD release. The packaging is nowhere near as nice as many other Johnny Cash CDs, like his reissued, live, prison concerts, AT FOLSOM PRISON and AT SAN QUENTIN, or his earlier Columbia CDs like SONGS OF OUR SOIL and THE FABULOUS JOHNNY CASH.

The photo on the cover is the only photo, and the CD "booklet" only tells the song list with a few details of each song, like duration, writer, recording date, and when it was originally released. There are no liner notes to read like an essay about the CD, as appears in the other CDs I've already mentioned, which is a let down.

The WALK THE LINE SOUNDTRACK from the movie is pretty entertaining, if you enjoyed the music from the film, then you will pleased with that CD! But if you're like me, you will get the Soundtrack CD first, then get curious about what the original, REAL THING sounded like in the first place, which is why I have been buying Johnny Cash CDs lately.

If you are new to Johnny Cash, like I pretty much was before I saw the WALK THE LINE movie, then I would suggest that you start your Johnny Cash collection with THE LEGEND OF JOHNNY CASH, which has been incredibly remastered with super clear sound, especially for his 1950s hits, and comes with a nice CD booklet. But THE LEGEND does not focus much on the duets with June, so if its the June Carter duets that you are interested in, then this 16 BIGGEST HITS is definitely the way to go, as far as I know.

Johnny also did a lot of Gospel projects. GOSPEL GLORY is my favorite CD of Gospel tunes by Johnny, with guest appearances by June, the Carter Family, and many great, classic, traditional songs.

The DVD movie GOSPEL ROAD is great, and has Johnny narrating the story of Jesus, with Johnny appearing onscreen every ten minutes or so, and including a great cameo performance of Mary Magdalene by June Carter Cash herself--a true labor of love from the early 1970s.

My favorite project by Johnny Cash is his spoken word reading of the entire NEW TESTAMENT of the Holy Bible, which is affordably priced for a 16 CD set, check it out!

4.0 out of 5 stars 16 tunes you need to have, May 31, 2000
J. Rossi (Downers Grove, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
While the Amazon review was correct in asserting that 16 songs hardly does justice to the legacy of Johnny Cash, this is still a fine starting point showcasing the lyrical pinache that has made Cash endure for decades. Everybody knows "Ring of Fire" and "A Boy Named Sue," but don't forget "The Legend of John Henry's Hammer," "Daddy Sang Bass," "One Piece at a Time," "The Ballad of Ira Hayes" and the other 10 songs here. Every song is a story detailing the lives of the neighbors you never had in Nebraska. Everyone will like Johnny Cash at some point in their lives so do yourself a favor: buy this and begin the journey down the road with the Man in Black.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected this to be, June 2, 2000
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
Dont' get me wrong. I respect and admire Johnny Cash and his music, but this collection was disappointing. I guess the Folsom Prison effort spoiled me too much which features Cash at his rawest and best. Some of these songs are good, but most of it left me hanging dry. Besides, you can't just nail down a legend with just 16 songs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why the radio edit?, February 9, 2012
RyanDragonHarpo "ryan21" (Reading, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Overall this is a really good CD made very accessible by the $3.99 daily deal yesterday. I like every track on it. But I'm very upset the live version of A Boy Named Sue was edited. Had I known the edited out something Johnny said or sang due to language I would have bought a different one of his CDs. This ruins the experience of the man's music for me. I like to experience things as they were meant to be or in the moment. The sound of an "edit beep" is more harsh to my ears then any word in the English language. Aside from the cheapened experience the rest of the music is very good!

1.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Censored?, February 15, 2012
It's absurd that Amazon would sell a censored version of a Johnny Cash song. It's Johnny F'ing Cash! Anyone who objects to Cash can shop for childrens' music instead. Oops! Johnny has an album in that genre too!

16 Biggest Hits
16 Biggest Hits by Johnny Cash (Audio CD - 1999)
Rate and Discover Movies