Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Murray 1695885 22-Inch Single Stage Snow Thrower with 800 Snow Series 4-Cycle OHV 205cc Engine and Electric Start
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 30, 2011
"Throw away your snow shovels". This snow thrower does the job for you. This is my first and I'm 67 years old. I have struggled with snow shoveling for years...no more. I cleared my walk and driveway, and those of 3 neighbors in the time it would have taken me to half way shovel mine {less the back pain}. And to my surprise.......it started in 15 degree weather on the first pull!. I didn't even have to use the electric start accessory..........which is an absolute great feature, not available on many models. The blades cleared right down to the concrete. Nothing even left to sweep. This is the best purchase I've made for home use for years. We don't have a garage, so it was stored under the deck behind our home.........I easily pulled it through 8 inches of snow on the lawn to the front sidewalk. Very lightweight, well-balanced, and powerful.
VINE VOICEon November 7, 2011
I will give the best review possible, but considering that I purchased this snow thrower in the fall of 2011, and have had no snow this winter - I cannot yet comment on its performance. So, why write anything? Well, because there are some issues that people should be aware of.

Easy to assemble - only minimum assembly of the snow chute is required, and it is a fairly easy assembly. I did take me a few minutes to figure out which direction the parts needed to be in, but was a simple task otherwise.

Started and ran great - I filled the blower with gas and gave it a test start. It started very easy and ran smoothly. I did not test the electric start option (a cord is provided for that).

Like another reviewer, I tried to post a review on receipt of the product and Amazon pulled it. My machine was delivered with significant damage to the box. I took several photos of the box prior to unpackaging it (I posted those here in the product description area). The box was poorly taped, and the entire top of the box was open, as the tape had come loose. There were several large tears in the box (as can be seen in the photos). Inside the box, there is NO additional protection or packaging. The flimsy cardboard box you see on the outside is all there is. As a result, my machine has a pretty severe dent and mis-shaped portion of the metal housing.

I assume that when I finally need it, it will operate and I will update this review with my observation of its performance. However, you should expect that there is a good chance of damaged goods on receipt. Murray would only have to spend about $1-2 on additional packaging to help prevent this, and I cannot give them more than three stars because of that.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 10, 2012
Checked reviews on this item and they were great other than damaged in shipping. For the price you do get a lot, 22inch wide opening, powerful motor, electric start etc. Got it home unpacked it and had it running in no time flat. Waited for the first snow to come, cranked right up on the first pull. Ran for about five minutes and stopped to talk to the neighbor. When I restarted the blower it made a loud squealing noise and had a heavy drag on the motor, smoke and the smell of burning rubber came up from the side. I took off the belt cover and discovered the belt was off the pulleys so I figured it was just dumb luck that I threw the belt so I decided to replace it and give it another try. This is the problem I have with the blower. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart and Pep boys (I was desperate). No one carries this special belt. The belt is not even close to what most snow blowers use (V type belt). This is an item that wears out and should be easily found and it's not so I put it back together and returned it.
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2013
It worked wonderfully the first two times, the third time I used it the drive belt came off and as it spun off the pulley it chewed a hole in the plastic side cover over the drive belt area and shot completely out the side of the machine as a projectile. Luckily no one was standing to the side!
on January 30, 2011
I bought this to replace my 15 year old machine that died in the December blizzard. I have used it for two storms of about 10-12 inches each over the past two weeks. Did a fabulous job both times. Did my place as well as 3 neighbors in about an hour and a half. My family asks why I didn't make this purchase years ago!
on January 28, 2011
OMG, this machine is beyond words! I live the metro Washington DC area and we had our first real snow of the season this week (26 Jan 11). With great anticipation I cranked up this wonderful piece of equipment and it went right to work clearing my driveway, sidewalk, and part of the street at the foot of my driveway down to the pavement. Additionally, I cleaned three of my neighbor's driveways as well. I am totally impressed by its performance. I did my entire property in less than 30 minutes. I cannot wait for the next wave of snow. This was truly worth every penny!!!
on July 19, 2013
Be aware first off:
This snow thrower -
a) is not self-propelled
b) is not made for 2ft snow piles
c) does not have large treaded tires
d) polymer auger/must be adjusted by hand

With that said, you won't find many, if any, at this price range with:

a) 205cc 4-Cycle Briggs & Stratton engine
b) easy electric start
c) lightweight
d) 22" clearing path
e) arrives oil ready
f) Amazon Prime free shipping

It works according to the features. I don't knock this machine for what I've paid. If you want self-propelled, a Honda engine, 6spd fwd/2spd reverse, electronic or cable operated auger your gonna have to pay a lot more. For under $500 you can't really go wrong with this Murray. The limitations are just a product of price point. It's served me well for two winters now. Keep up the maintenance and don't use old gas. It should last for many years. However, for my preference, if you have more than a 30' driveway, slopes or get heavy snowfall, you may want to consider something further up the price chain.
on November 12, 2012
Hello - I live in Michigan and everyone knows how it snows here. I bought this around 4/2011 and I am just now getting around to write a review. The biggest amount of snow I've had to clear at 1 time was about 8 inches. It is a beast and rips through snow no problem. My 5 year old son loves to come out and help me do it too. I looked at many 500-800 dollar snow blowers and I just didn't want another monster piece of equipment I couldn't drive to a local repair shop if I needed too. I highly recommend this unit, its a great buy for the price.
on February 27, 2013
OK, first thing's first: I bought this machine from "BrandNewEngines" via Amazon.com and I can't say enough about how fantastic these guys are. My estimated delivery date was March 5 and it actually arrived February 24 -- a week or so after I bought it. It arrived in perfect condition, too. The shipping company they used (delivery to Chicago) was also great -- very courteous and they even brought the unit all the way to my detached garage. The cherry on top: I noticed a $20 price drop, sent them an e-mail and they hooked me up with the price adjustment. GREAT COMPANY and I would have no probem buying more items from BrandNewEngines.

Background: I live in Chicago and we've been known to have a foot of snow fall at once. I had a Craftsman Two-Stage snowblower and this thing was a MONSTER. When we got 18" of snow a couple years ago I was the hero of our street. It died on me and I was back in the market for another snowblower. Do I go Single or Two Stage? I liked having the big machine for big snowfall but, honestly, I never used it for 3-5" of snow -- it was too big and heavy. I consulted friends, Consumer Reports, the brothers on the internet, etc. and decided that I would go with a real powerful Single-Stage machine.

After researching Amazon.com (as well as Sears, Home Depot, etc.), reading reviews and finding this GREAT deal ($429 with free shipping) on Amazon.com, I decided to go with this Murray 22-Inch 205cc snowblower. Consumer Reports gave it great marks, too.

The snowblower arrived (no joke) in the middle of an eight inch snowfall. I ran and got fresh gas and opened it right away. IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It came right out of the box and was essentailly ready to go. Attaching the "snow chute" and tightening up the screws to firm up the handles were easy tasks. I used the electric start and it started on the first try. The snow was heavy and wet and this snowblower cut right through it with no issues. I was surprised how far it threw the heavy snow, too. I don't want to sound like a typical guy, but GO WITH THE MOST POWERFUL ENGINE YOU CAN -- this 205cc is better than the 179cc or any of the others. Compared to Toro, Craftsman, etc., this is the best price for a 205cc engine you will find. I found a 205cc Poulan that may have been the same price or a little less but Consumer Reports specifically ranks them low and said, "Don't Bother".

The unit was easy to operate and anyone can run this thing. It isn't "self propelled" -- you have to push it -- but the blades actually help move it forward. My other machine had 6 different speeds (2 speeds for reverse!), so this was a big change for me but I am still sold on the Single Stage machine.

What didn't I like about the machine? Honestly, not much. The only thing that was a pain in the butt was changing the direction of the snow chute. You can see in the picture that there is a handle and it is easy to use but, again, I was used to having a control on the handle that rotated the chute for me. On this machine, I lean over the handle and turn it where I need it to go. You can also adjust the chute up or down, so you can control how far out the snow goes. I think most Single-Stage blowers are like this; if Murray offered another model with an "automatic chute control" option I would probably pay more and get that. But, again, manually controlling the snow chute is an annoyance but I'm still sold on the Single Stage.

That's about it -- great machine, great price, great merchant. I've used it twice -- if my opinion changes, I will be sure to edit this review. Enjoy!
on January 29, 2011
If you looking a small but powerful snow blower for your tight space ?This is the one.It moves 8 inch snow wet or dry in one pass.I highly recommend and I gave 5 stars after the first 10 minutes run.But after one hour test in two years ,the auger belt keep coming off and cannot be fix or repair ,warranty expire .please help if any one has solution what to do .So my update for the unit is one star due to the belt does not stay on .