Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

At the right price, this is a great choice for a desktop replacement laptop. Big 17" screen, full-size keyboard, 4th Generation Intel Core i3 processor and a huge 750 GB hard drive will make every day users who have no real need for mobility, very happy.

I purchased this PC for my Mom for under four hundred. At that price, it's an excellent deal for those who have basic needs: word processing, Skype, emailing, Facebook, minor photo editing, watching the occasional movie via DVD, or via streaming Netflix. It's not ideal for gamers who want faster graphics (this has integrated graphics and video), but you can play online games just fine with a high speed wired or wireless connection. The LED backlit screen is big and bright, and the DTS sound is good, which adds to the enjoyment of the experience. NOTE: It's not touchscreen though, which some will want.

A full-size keyboard with numeric pad isn't backlit, which would be ideal, but at this price it's not expected. A multi-format media reader is built-in, as is a multi-format DVD Burner. Two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0, one VGA and one HDMI, and an ethernet (wired internet) jack, offer the most complete connectivity I've seen on a laptop in a long time! A built-in microphone jack isn't really needed as there's an integrated HD webcam with digital microphone what works well. There's also a headphone jack.

What's it missing? No Bluetooth, but you can easily add it with one of these: ORICO BTA-402 USB Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter Dongle Mini Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter Dongle With CSR8510 Controller and CSR Harmony for Windows XP Vista 2003 2008 7 and 8 32 or 64 Bit.

This laptop is upgradeable from 4GB of memory to 8GB, which I wish was more like 16GB, but that's being greedy. Windows 8 needs 4GB for stability, and if you are using multiple programs at one time, 8GB is ideal. I guess it really comes down to your usage (like whether you have lots of open programs going on all at the same time...) as to whether or not you're likely to bog down the system if it has 4GB versus 8GB.

NOTE: Ravi (another Amazon reviewer...) says he upgraded this laptop to 16GB, even though HP states 8GB is the max. If you've got the spare 8GB stick laying around or don't mind purchasing one to try it, go for it. The extra cost probably isn't worth it to most people, and HP indicating it's not supported should be considered.

This laptop has nice speed for general use, looks good (glossy finish picks up fingerprints quite easily though), and performs well. I wish it had a 7200RPM hard drive, but in all honesty, I don't know that this would make an appreciable difference in performance.

There's a webcam, with a webcam 'light' that comes on when it's in use. The webcam can take still photos or stream video. Set-up to work with the included CyberLink YouCam software, it will also work with Skype, Facebook and others.

I'll be adding the Bluetooth dongle for pairing with Bluetooth headphones, and since my Mom will use it at her desk I'll add a Sabrent 7 Port Portable USB 3.0 Hub with 4A Power Adapter for Ultra Book, MacBook Air, Windows 8 Tablet PC - Black (HB-B7U3) to connect up external drives and peripherals that are not Wifi connected. Adding a 8GB memory dimm will be done in the future too, but for her uses 4GB should be OK - it's more about my desire to max it out.

At 6.39 pounds with about a 3 hour battery life, it's not the lightweight, highly portable laptop that college students will want, however if it's going to be in a home office with no significant travel it's a good choice.

SPECS PER HP SITE:

Memory 4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM) - installed
Memory Max Maximum supported = 8GB
Memory Slots 2 user accessible
Video Graphics Intel HD graphics 4600
Display 17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)
Integrated webcam with light indicating connectivity
Hard Drive 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner
Network Card 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Sound DTS Sound+
Keyboard Full-size keyboard with numeric keypad
Pointing Device Touchpad supporting multi-touch gestures without on/off button
External Ports Multi-format digital media card reader for Secure Digital cards

2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0

1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

1 HDMI

1 VGA (15-pin)

1 RJ-45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack
Dimensions 1.16 in (min H) / 1.29 in (max H) x 16.5 in (W) x 10.5 in (D)
Weight 6.39 lb
Power 65W AC adapter

6-cell 47WHr 2.2 Ah lithium-ion battery
ID Mech Description Front facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone

UPDATE: 12/27/13

TouchPad gestures can be tricky! Becoming proficient using this feature will increase your enjoyment of this laptop. Refer to the User's Manual (online at HP) for more info on that and the entire system. It's the best way to get acquainted with this laptop.

I also recommend updating to Windows 8.1 (it's free on the Microsoft site) to get the most stable Windows 8 experience and a few new features that make it feel a bit more like Windows 7.

UPDATE: 2/17/14

My mother reports that the laptop continues to work well for her purposes. I asked her how she liked the keyboard, as a negative review for the product is focused on that part of the laptop. She says that all laptops feel different to her compared to an external keyboard with her desktop (I'd have to agree...) and that it has taken some getting used to, but it works fine.

UPDATE: 4/23/14

I taught my mother how to supplement her free over-the-air TV programming using a Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player with this PC. If you're not sure what over-the-air programming is, or how to get it, check out my book: Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV.
1616 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2014
First let me explain that this laptop is not some high end laptop for gaming. The five star is pure for what it offers for the price. You can get this laptop for 400$ at bestbuy and this is the only laptop that you get all the things that it offers in its price range.

Also, as per the user manual this laptop can support only 8GB of RAM. But i have actually installed 16GB (2*8GB) of ram and its working fine. I installed this [...] RAM with my laptop.
99 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2014
I've had this laptop since Christmas, and would gladly give it away if it hadn't been a gift. Great screen, great battery-life, and a big Zero on everything else. This review is for straight usage, not gaming. As a middle-aged person with big hands and dwindling eyesight, I found this laptop almost unusable, mostly because of the keyboard (never mind Windows 8). The glare from the screen shadows the black keyboard. The fonts and numbers are microscopic and poorly printed on the keys, and barely visible even in a good light pouring over my shoulder. Per the usual laptop keyboard, the Delete key is not conveniently nearby, but as been reduced to a half-key squeezed beside the Home key and Print Screen. I do tons of straight copy writing, and find it irritating in the extreme to constantly hit the Home or Print Screen key by accident when trying to edit something. Someone else mentioned the fingerprints and smears, and the exasperating Touch Pad, which seems to vary hourly on how much pressure to use. It has features which seem to tie in with a Touch screen but this computer does not have a Touch screen, so those features also operate independently. A light accidental brush gives you 900X zoom, but it takes four hard taps to open an App.
Oh yeah, if you love apps, this comes loaded. I don't have that kind of time to waste, and uninstalled 97% of them. The simple act of turning it off, without sleeping or hibernating (which is the default, i.e., the irritating white light that blinks all night long) you have to "grab" the right side of the screen, bring up the "Charms" (that had to be a twenty year old that came up with that crap), click on Settings, Go down to blah blah blah,...click on blah blah, and you might get the blasted thing shut down before breakfast. I've owned every brand of laptop since a primitive Atari back in the 80s, and it seems like they are getting more into the glitz factor instead of actual efficient work-horses. If you're young with 20/20 vision and never use a Delete key, this one may work for you. If you're middle-aged, find a real one to check out the keyboard first.
on March 27, 2014
I love it, and I'm very hard person to please. From the very precisely working large touch pad to the keyboard being sealed for easier cleaning, HP proves again why they make the best computers. The keyboard is the easiest I've used on every laptop yet.The screen is awesome, the layout is much better than my Toshiba Satellite was and Windows 8 is already much easier for me to use than 7, just designed better, and I still haven't figured it all out yet. I need to learn how to do a few things, but most everything was so self explanatory it's been a pleasure and a lot of the small glitches 7 had are gone. If it holds up as good as every other HP I've had, I'm going to be a very happy camper. To top it off, the price was great and as always Amazon delivered with fast shipping and excellent customer service. For anyone looking for a new laptop, you can't get better a bang for your buck in my opinion.
on May 5, 2016
Although customer service was very helpful. The stock Wi-Fi chip was for lack of a better word a piece of s***. It would not hold a signal and when It did speeds were excessively slow.After multiple updates HP customer service was able to suggest other Wi-Fi chips for replacement as well as sending me a replacement stock Wi-Fi chip. The second stock Wi-Fi chip was just as bad. However one of the suggested replacement chips was easy to install and gave me Bluetooth. Now I'm getting amazing speeds and rock solid signal quality. I also upgraded it's ram. And updated to Windows 10 it's now great computer. Eventually I'll put a solid-state drive in it and I can see it lasting quite a while.
on February 17, 2014
I got this for my 82-year old mother - she needs a big, clear screen. and uses it for Word processing and email. It fits the bill and so far, after 8 weeks, she has been very pleased.
on March 7, 2014
I bought this laptop as a quick replacement when my laptop died. I just wanted something that will go online, play a few games and watch movies on. This laptop will do quite a bit, of course it won't run MMO's at high graphics or wow you with a lot of things. What this laptop does is what I need it to. I love the big screen on it and everything looks pretty good on the screen. The keyboard is a bit mushy but overall I am not unhappy. I do like having a number pad to the side on this keyboard, though it makes the keyboard feel a bit crowded. My one gripe is the touch mouse pad, I am not a big fan of it, so I use a wireless mouse. Everything else seems to be up to par on it with the processor, memory and hard drive.

Overall for this price it works well and suites my needs.
on January 26, 2014
I absolutely love it! It's just what I wanted and was looking for. Sometimes it gets a bit heavy to move around with me, but I wanted a 17.3" and I'm very satisfied with it.
on February 18, 2014
5 star for the value. Great laptop for basic use, we hook it up to the tv through HDMI and it works great. Best laptop under $500 that I could find.
on February 14, 2014
HP and Amazon again come through with a winner. I have always had good experience with HP and they didn't let me down this time. Not a lot of ads when I connect to the internet either. Updates & upgrades were easy to install as well when needed. It is a very reliable platform and I connect readily to my WiFi and wireless AIO printer. Though I had some difficulty setting up the printer. The printer install CD was called as "incorrect or unrecognizable operating system" since I bought the printer pre-win 8. Solved that problem by connecting to the HP web site. (It's an HP Officejet). The HP help desk is easy to work with on all efforts

The screen resolution is terrific. I added a Bluetooth dongle, doesn't come with BT built in. Also added a USB 3.0 expansion 7 port hub by Sabrent. It comes with 2 USB 3.0 & 1 USB 2.0 ports.

One negative is that there is no simple way to disable the touchpad. I don't like the touchpad 'cause I bump it with my thumbs when typing sending the cursor into never-never land. Didn't have that problem with my old HP laptop, it had a button to turn off the touchpad. If anyone is interested in how it can be disabled, contact me through this forum. I'll be glad to take you through the process or go to hp.com/support

Other than what I told users about, I can highly recommend this laptop.